Rob Ryan explains why he left Rams for Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/12/new_orleans_saints_defensive_c_50.html

13821516-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan referred to the sequence of events from being fired by the Dallas Cowboys, hired by the Rams, quitting the Rams and being hired by the Saints as "kind of a complicated thing" Friday afternoon with the Saints preparing to face the Rams on Sunday in St. Louis.

A vacationing Ryan received word of his firing as Cowboys defensive coordinator while in Turks and Caicos as the news broke Jan. 9. Ryan said Friday the first call he made was to his brother Rex, coach of the Jets.

Rob told his brother during that phone call, "What the hell happened here? This is a joke."

The next call Rob Ryan made was to then-Saints offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who would be hired Jan. 16 by the Bears as their offensive coordinator.

"I said, 'Hey man, I don't know what's going to happen there, but can you talk to Sean (Payton)?' Well he couldn't," Rob Ryan said. "Nobody could. So I was like damn because that would be the perfect spot for me."

At the time of the phone call, there was no opening for a defensive coordinator in New Orleans.

The league officially reinstated Payton on Jan. 22. Payton made his way to Mobile, Ala., to meet with his staff at the Senior Bowl on Jan. 23. Payton fired Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator Jan. 24.

"I'm not sure when that move was made, but absolutely, you know, this (the Saints) was a job I wanted," Ryan said Friday.

Meanwhile, Ryan accepted the defensive coordinator position to work under Jeff Fisher with the Rams and the news broke Jan. 25. Ryan then balked at the Rams' job and the team released the news of Ryan's departure Jan. 29.

"Getting fired in Dallas was a shock to my system, and I was a little pissed off," Ryan said. "I took a job with the Rams and hadn't had anything signed and then just from being there and finding out the direction of how they wanted to do things, it was my obligation not only to me but to them to just walk away and look for something different."

Ryan added: "I've been in the business long enough to ... You know, I'd moved my family ... What really came into my decision was this was going to be my fourth stop in five years. So, whatever it was, to me I wanted the perfect situation. I wanted to coach a defense that I'm an expert at, and I know I'm damn good. But I want to do the best job I could do. I was tired of moving around every single year, every two years, and ...

"In this business you have to be fully in. You're either all the way in or not. For me, hell, I'm an all-the-way-in coach. No one's going to work longer than I do. I'm going to prepare as hard as I can, and with that situation, it was just I don't think I can fully commit to something that wasn't exactly what I believe in, despite having great people in the building."

Payton interviewed University of Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on Feb. 7 and Ryan on Feb. 8. Ryan's hiring was announced a day later.

"The scheme fit (in St. Louis) was more of a 4-3," Ryan said. "I just didn't get the right vibe and I thought to myself I was already mad about the Dallas situation, and you know what, this is the best thing to do for me to do and for them, for me to walk away, wait for the perfect opportunity to come because I knew I was going to get one.

"Wherever it was going to be, I was going to get one because I believe in myself, then, hell, whatever it was, one week, two weeks later, I got the call to come interview here and this is the situation I was dreaming of."

Fisher said earlier this week Ryan "made a commitment" to coaching the Rams, but didn't have any hard feelings with Ryan's decision to leave. Obviously the Saints have reaped the benefits as New Orleans' defense has undergone a massive turnaround under Ryan's tutelage.

"I know he is a guy that is coaching with passion, and I know our players each week are excited for the game plan and practicing it during the week," Payton said. "I don't go back and make statistical comparisons just from the mere fact that so much is different.

"I think our approach has been really looking ahead to how we can improve, how we can win and how we can play complementary football so the offense, the defense and the kicking game are all on the same page to how we need to win a certain game. I think that transition with Rob has been outstanding.

"I think the staff on defense, the players, all those guys are excited each week to get the game plan and get a good week of work in. I think that formula, that process has been good."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What it really comes down to is that Ryan is a 3-4 guy and the Rams run a 4-3 and I get that it was not the right fit. Ryan was going to take the job IMO because he did not have any other offers and the Rams had some upside on defense, but when Asshole Face decided to fire Spagnuolo and wanted to go to the 3-4 it was an easy decision for Ryan and I don't blame him.

I just wished the Rams went in another direction other than Tim Walton who seems to take a passive approach. IMO I don't mind if a defense gets beat, if it's being aggressive. The Rams have not been aggressive enough in 2014 to the point where I miss Blake Williams.

However, I would like pass on a word of advice to Rob Ryan and I am qouting a man that I was never fan of in any way whatsoever, however, per George Corley Wallace, Jr..."All he needs is a good haircut."

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I didn't mind him not being hired at the time but 20/20 hindsight says, we lost! We ended up with Walton.:slap:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I didn't mind him not being hired at the time but 20/20 hindsight says, we lost! We ended up with Walton.:slap:

Except we din't re- route our rebuild to a scheme the HC wasn't ready to play so IMO it was win win even if we experienced a dip before a rise

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's what I find curious about the whole deal; we were a 4-3 coming in.

When he says; "finding out the direction of how they wanted to do things" and "didn't get the right vibe"... are we seeing that on the field right now in terms of approach to pressure and coverage?

From that angle, defensive philosophy; Ryan > Fisher

Alan

Legend
I think his whole story is BS. I think Payton called him and made him a better offer. I'm also glad we didn't get him. Too full of himself.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think his whole story is BS. I think Payton called him and made him a better offer. I'm also glad we didn't get him. Too full of himself.

I don't think it was better offer in terms of dollars, imo, he could run his defense have total autonomy and he could add a coach or two. Again I understand why he did it, I just didn't like the way he went about it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Al waking up on the wrong side of the bed ??????????????????????

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Well; put me in the group that wishes we got him.

I am disgusted by our defense. The significant draft capital and free agent dollars spent on this defense the performance is inexcusable. He might be full of himself but it appears he knows what he's doing. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Well; put me in the group that wishes we got him.

I am disgusted by our defense. The significant draft capital and free agent dollars spent on this defense the performance is inexcusable. He might be full of himself but it appears he knows what he's doing. I'd take that in a heartbeat.
I agree. With the talent of this defense, it should be much better than it has been. The entire defense took a step backwards other than Robert Quinn. I really don't see how Walton should survive this.

Alan

Legend
First of all, I always wake up on the wrong side of the bed because in a fit of irrationality, I gave my wife first choice in choosing which side of the bed she wanted. If I out live this one (she's 15 years younger than me so I doubt it), I won't make that mistake again.

I too am disgusted by our D, but unlike our resident Burger man, I put the blame on Fisher for the lame coverage. We played the same "cover 0" last year too. So I'm giving Walton a pass until I hear clear evidence that this should be on his shoulders. Plus, if Walton is calling the coverage why hasn't Fisher made him go to man?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

There ya go Alan. Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I'm with ya on this one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First of all, I always wake up on the wrong side of the bed because in a fit of irrationality, I gave my wife first choice in choosing which side of the bed she wanted. If I out live this one (she's 15 years younger than me so I doubt it), I won't make that mistake again.

I too am disgusted by our D, but unlike our resident Burger man, I put the blame on Fisher for the lame coverage. We played the same "cover 0" last year too. So I'm giving Walton a pass until I hear clear evidence that this should be on his shoulders. Plus, if Walton is calling the coverage why hasn't Fisher made him go to man?

I put the blame on Fisher too.

I guess we really don't know if the problem is Fisher or Walton with this defense. But we do know; Ryan didn't agree with the direction we were taking things and it appears he was right!

Alan

Legend
That's if you believe Ryan. I don't think he found out anything about our D that he didn't already know before he came for the visit. Do you really think that the timing of Payton getting reinstated and Ryan going to work for him was just a coincidence? I think we were the only team to offer him a job and even though we run a 4-3 he was willing to take the job for the money. When a 3-4 team offered him a job he jumped at it. Problem is he made a verbal commitment to Fisher and now he's trying to spin it.

I edited this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ive been to that Mcdonalds, they gave me Real Coke instead of diet,coulda hurt a diabetic,incompetent fuggs dat dey are:lol:

I hold a one day grudge and then fagetabout "meatloaf Ryan

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/12/new_orleans_saints_defensive_c_50.html

13821516-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan referred to the sequence of events from being fired by the Dallas Cowboys, hired by the Rams, quitting the Rams and being hired by the Saints as "kind of a complicated thing" Friday afternoon with the Saints preparing to face the Rams on Sunday in St. Louis.

A vacationing Ryan received word of his firing as Cowboys defensive coordinator while in Turks and Caicos as the news broke Jan. 9. Ryan said Friday the first call he made was to his brother Rex, coach of the Jets.

Rob told his brother during that phone call, "What the hell happened here? This is a joke."

The next call Rob Ryan made was to then-Saints offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who would be hired Jan. 16 by the Bears as their offensive coordinator.

"I said, 'Hey man, I don't know what's going to happen there, but can you talk to Sean (Payton)?' Well he couldn't," Rob Ryan said. "Nobody could. So I was like damn because that would be the perfect spot for me."

At the time of the phone call, there was no opening for a defensive coordinator in New Orleans.

The league officially reinstated Payton on Jan. 22. Payton made his way to Mobile, Ala., to meet with his staff at the Senior Bowl on Jan. 23. Payton fired Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator Jan. 24.

"I'm not sure when that move was made, but absolutely, you know, this (the Saints) was a job I wanted," Ryan said Friday.

Meanwhile, Ryan accepted the defensive coordinator position to work under Jeff Fisher with the Rams and the news broke Jan. 25. Ryan then balked at the Rams' job and the team released the news of Ryan's departure Jan. 29.

"Getting fired in Dallas was a shock to my system, and I was a little pissed off," Ryan said. "I took a job with the Rams and hadn't had anything signed and then just from being there and finding out the direction of how they wanted to do things, it was my obligation not only to me but to them to just walk away and look for something different."

Ryan added: "I've been in the business long enough to ... You know, I'd moved my family ... What really came into my decision was this was going to be my fourth stop in five years. So, whatever it was, to me I wanted the perfect situation. I wanted to coach a defense that I'm an expert at, and I know I'm damn good. But I want to do the best job I could do. I was tired of moving around every single year, every two years, and ...

"In this business you have to be fully in. You're either all the way in or not. For me, hell, I'm an all-the-way-in coach. No one's going to work longer than I do. I'm going to prepare as hard as I can, and with that situation, it was just I don't think I can fully commit to something that wasn't exactly what I believe in, despite having great people in the building."

Payton interviewed University of Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on Feb. 7 and Ryan on Feb. 8. Ryan's hiring was announced a day later.

"The scheme fit (in St. Louis) was more of a 4-3," Ryan said. "I just didn't get the right vibe and I thought to myself I was already mad about the Dallas situation, and you know what, this is the best thing to do for me to do and for them, for me to walk away, wait for the perfect opportunity to come because I knew I was going to get one.

"Wherever it was going to be, I was going to get one because I believe in myself, then, hell, whatever it was, one week, two weeks later, I got the call to come interview here and this is the situation I was dreaming of."

Fisher said earlier this week Ryan "made a commitment" to coaching the Rams, but didn't have any hard feelings with Ryan's decision to leave. Obviously the Saints have reaped the benefits as New Orleans' defense has undergone a massive turnaround under Ryan's tutelage.

"I know he is a guy that is coaching with passion, and I know our players each week are excited for the game plan and practicing it during the week," Payton said. "I don't go back and make statistical comparisons just from the mere fact that so much is different.

"I think our approach has been really looking ahead to how we can improve, how we can win and how we can play complementary football so the offense, the defense and the kicking game are all on the same page to how we need to win a certain game. I think that transition with Rob has been outstanding.

"I think the staff on defense, the players, all those guys are excited each week to get the game plan and get a good week of work in. I think that formula, that process has been good."

This is pretty much what I had thought.
I'm glad Ryan made the right decision for both he and the Rams.
Like I've posted before, in St. Louis, Ryan would have been a round peg in a square hole.
It just didn't fit. I am a little surprised at Fisher even wanting to try that though.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
This is pretty much what I had thought.
I'm glad Ryan made the right decision for both he and the Rams.
Like I've posted before, in St. Louis, Ryan would have been a round peg in a square hole.
It just didn't fit. I am a little surprised at Fisher even wanting to try that though.

IMO it was a payback to Buddy