Richard Sherman on DeSean Jackson and 'Stardom'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
That's not why it's banned, it's not being singled out for no reason. They use the word like they breath then they don't want anybody else using it, which is dumb because if it's acceptable than it's acceptable and if it's not then they shouldn't be calling each other it. They basically want their cake and to eat it too, but because the NFL can't really tell them to stop being so fence sitty they have to ban the word for crap like that to stop coming around. No other word like that is used as a term of endearment like the N-word.

With the Cooper and Cogs scandals both coming in the same year, can you really blame them for saying freak it and just banning the word all together?
Really? So you've never heard women calling each other "bitches" in a friendly tone and then going in a rage when a man calls them that? Or homosexuals calling each other faggots?

That's one sheltered world you live in...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I call them they because I don't associate with that group that uses a word that still apparently falls under the connotations of something that was used to keep us down as people as a term of endearment or interjection of the same veins as pal, besides THEY are a group of people who do something that I don't do, what do you want me to call them exactly?

I don't want to be understanding, I feel it holds us back as a culture, but that's a whole different bag of worms to open up. The fact of the matter the thing is that it's being banned because the players use it extensively and people who are not black see this and see it as acceptable and it's bringing crap onto the NFL when it's found that it's not.

It's not a racist move, it's a business move.

I'm done with this before I get angry. ill leave you with this, you don't have to call "us" anything because we are not defined as a group.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Really? So you've never heard women calling each other "bitches" in a friendly tone and then going in a rage when a man calls them that? Or homosexuals calling each other faggots?

That's one sheltered world you live in...
Let me rephrase, no racial slur is flung around as a term of endearment like the N-word.

And to be honest with you most of the women I hear refer to each other as girlfriends and I have never EVER heard any gay people call each other faggots and I think I know a fairly decent amount of both.

The only people I hear refer to their gay/female friends as fags/bitches jokingly were other dudes.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm done with this before I get angry. ill leave you with this, you don't have to call "us" anything because we are not defined as a group.
Can you really lecture me about it being us vs them when you're assuming I'm white just because my opinion on the N-word differs from yours?

I don't agree with using a word that literally meant we were subhuman and like animals as a term of endearment, and I don't associate with anything like that if that angers you I apologize, but that's just how it's gotta be.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We've locked two threads that dealt with the N-word and the F-word because they spiraled out of control. Please don't let it happen to this thread as well. :peace:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've locked two threads that dealt with the N-word and the F-word because they spiraled out of control. Please don't let it happen to this thread as well. :peace:

my apologies. certain things get my blood boiling :peace:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Sorry hoss, I'm just very opinionated on the matter. I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2rm5tsn.jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm not in the NFL locker room or field, so I'm not going to assume what is and isn't said... but I've heard plenty of derogatory words through my own experiences like deployment... (Hell I use them with right crowd).. but I think it's an area that's all or nothing - there's no in betweens.
The issue that he points out is that NFL management and media owners are racist.

Management controls how the league or teams respond to individual players or owners, and it's quite obvious that the responses are duplicitous.

And media reports on this stuff, whether it's NFLN or other media outlets, and its the owners of these media outlets, through their management, that decide how to report on these matters. In effect, how to spin them. Again, it's pretty obvious that there is a trend that's unfavorable to non-white players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The trouble with Sherman's view of Desean being released is that he is only looking t one side of it. He can only see things as he relates to them. As usual he judges everyone according to a narrow perspective. Sherman sees Jackson as an equal or brother because of there upbringing, obviously. So he is offended. He thinks it is fine to be hanging out with gangs. And thinks the release of Desean was just about that.

What I took from DJs release was that the Eagles felt Desean was a cancer in the locker room, he had very poor work ethic, missed meetings, and was uncoachable. It sounds like he was disrespectful to his coaches and his teammates. I wouldn't want him around either.

The Eagles were foolish to bring up the gang affiliations just because it was not worth ruffling feathers and stirring the race issue. I think they may have used that in an attempt to bolster there reasons for the release to their fans by relating it to the Patriots TE, who isn't the same race BTW.

So Sherman gets his panties in a bunch because he takes a piece of what was said and turns it into the main reason. Just like after the playoff game with the Niners Richard fails to think before he speaks. I really don't understand the admiration that some people around here have for the guy.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The trouble with Sherman's view of Desean being released is that he is only looking t one side of it. He can only see things as he relates to them. As usual he judges everyone according to a narrow perspective. Sherman sees Jackson as an equal or brother because of there upbringing, obviously. So he is offended. He thinks it is fine to be hanging out with gangs. And thinks the release of Desean was just about that.

What I took from DJs release was that the Eagles felt Desean was a cancer in the locker room, he had very poor work ethic, missed meetings, and was uncoachable. It sounds like he was disrespectful to his coaches and his teammates. I wouldn't want him around either.

The Eagles were foolish to bring up the gang affiliations just because it was not worth ruffling feathers and stirring the race issue. I think they may have used that in an attempt to bolster there reasons for the release to their fans by relating it to the Patriots TE, who isn't the same race BTW.

So Sherman gets his panties in a bunch because he takes a piece of what was said and turns it into the main reason. Just like after the playoff game with the Niners Richard fails to think before he speaks. I really don't understand the admiration that some people around here have for the guy.
Well, isn't this what the NFL owners/management AND Media owners/management do every day? Don't they publish stories based upon their perspective?

At least Sherman is honest about giving us HIS perspective. When the NFL & Media do it they try to sell the public on the notion that it is somehow "objective".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not championing the hypocrisy of the NFL by any means.

I just see Sherman cherry picking the argument to suit his agenda. The biggest issue that the Eagles had with Desean Jackson is that he is a lousy teammate, but of course Sherman ignores that. If someone were to read that article without any knowledge of why the Eagles released Jackson they would think Desean was just swell and was released due to racism. I really don't see where Sherman should have even commented because he himself said that he is on one coast and Jackson is on another.

And no, I really don't care about Desean or the Eagles. I just live in PA and am aware of Jacksons bad habits as an Eagle because it has been documented in the local papers ever since he joined the team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This might not be popular with some posters.....but here goes. There are pieces of truth and pieces of fiction in pretty much everything about this. And the media, not the NFL, is the source for much speculation. So Sherman's thoughts on the owners and league are hit and miss. He gets some things right and some things wrong.

So about DJ.......

He does know people in a gang, and has flashed gang signs. He has business relationships with people in a gang, and he knows they are in a gang.

The Eagles didn't want him around because he is evidently a dick. The new coach doesn't want someone that he has to keep an eye on. Not one single player has taken to social media or the press to say a peep about this on his behalf. The Locker Room has spoken.

The Eagles don't want to shell out 10 mil because that's a ton of money and they can use it elsewhere.

Not one single team out of 32 wanted to give up anything for him. Yet all 32 teams would like to have production from a player like he brings. Nobody seems to want to ask why that is though.

This isn't anything that surprised people is it? A team decided to get rid of a player that was a pain in the ass and and so they cut him. He got signed by a team for less money than he would have gotten on the deal that just got vaporized.

What keeps coming to my mind is this. Nobody on the Eagles seems to care that he is gone and not one team in the NFL was willing to give up anything to take on Jackson and his contract.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This might not be popular with some posters.....but here goes. There are pieces of truth and pieces of fiction in pretty much everything about this. And the media, not the NFL, is the source for much speculation. So Sherman's thoughts on the owners and league are hit and miss. He gets some things right and some things wrong.

So about DJ.......

He does know people in a gang, and has flashed gang signs. He has business relationships with people in a gang, and he knows they are in a gang.

The Eagles didn't want him around because he is evidently a dick. The new coach doesn't want someone that he has to keep an eye on. Not one single player has taken to social media or the press to say a peep about this on his behalf. The Locker Room has spoken.

The Eagles don't want to shell out 10 mil because that's a ton of money and they can use it elsewhere.

Not one single team out of 32 wanted to give up anything for him. Yet all 32 teams would like to have production from a player like he brings. Nobody seems to want to ask why that is though.

This isn't anything that surprised people is it? A team decided to get rid of a player that was a pain in the ass and and so they cut him. He got signed by a team for less money than he would have gotten on the deal that just got vaporized.

What keeps coming to my mind is this. Nobody on the Eagles seems to care that he is gone and not one team in the NFL was willing to give up anything to take on Jackson and his contract.

Couldn't agree more

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Racism is unfortunately still a very real problem. Sherman's criticism of "suits like Irsay" is but one example. I'm Filipino and my ex wife and kids are black. I grew up in Long Beach but live in rural SW MO Ash Grove. I see both sides. I despise all things Seahawk but respect Sherman's talent and perspective. Nevertheless, DJax wasn't expendable because of his friends, it was his attitude and contract demands that left him for Redskin hire. Sherman needs a guy like Dungy to help his perspective mature.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Racism is unfortunately still a very real problem. Sherman's criticism of "suits like Irsay" is but one example. I'm Filipino and my ex wife and kids are black. I grew up in Long Beach but live in rural SW MO Ash Grove. I see both sides. I despise all things Seahawk but respect Sherman's talent and perspective. Nevertheless, DJax wasn't expendable because of his friends, it was his attitude and contract demands that left him for Redskin hire. Sherman needs a guy like Dungy to help his perspective mature.

Once again agree with everything. :cheers:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Piss on Richard Sherman, better still, let me.

jjab360

Legend
I am not championing the hypocrisy of the NFL by any means.

I just see Sherman cherry picking the argument to suit his agenda. The biggest issue that the Eagles had with Desean Jackson is that he is a lousy teammate, but of course Sherman ignores that. If someone were to read that article without any knowledge of why the Eagles released Jackson they would think Desean was just swell and was released due to racism. I really don't see where Sherman should have even commented because he himself said that he is on one coast and Jackson is on another.

And no, I really don't care about Desean or the Eagles. I just live in PA and am aware of Jacksons bad habits as an Eagle because it has been documented in the local papers ever since he joined the team.
I think Sherman may have been wrong in how the Eagles probably let go of Jackson moreso because of his behavior in the locker room than off the field, but I don't think he's wrong about how the media perceives and portrays the whole ordeal.

Sherman gets points in my mind for pointing out a few hypocrisies that some have left unsaid and conveying his entire argument far better than even some professional writers could. I still kind of laugh at how some claimed someone else wrote that other article of his (forgot what it was about), dude went to Stanford and got a 4.2 GPA in high school, he's pretty damn smart.

PhxRam

I think Sherman may have been wrong in how the Eagles probably let go of Jackson moreso because of his behavior in the locker room than off the field, but I don't think he's wrong about how the media perceives and portrays the whole ordeal.

Sherman gets points in my mind for pointing out a few hypocrisies that some have left unsaid and conveying his entire argument far better than even some professional writers could. I still kind of laugh at how some claimed someone else wrote that other article of his (forgot what it was about), dude went to Stanford and got a 4.2 GPA in high school, he's pretty damn smart.

It is because his on screen antics dont reflect a guy with any intelligence.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Smart is a relative thing. I passed the Mensa test and I'm not really that smart. Sherman may be smart in how he writes but he is dumb with his timing and his brash emotional outbursts. He reminds me more of Reverend Al Sharpton than he does Martin Luther King. That's not a good thing. Both are/were intelligent men BTW.