Richard Sherman on DeSean Jackson and 'Stardom'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
desean-jackson-storyimage-960.jpg

Jed Jacobsohn/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

Stardom Doesn’t Change Where You’re From
Amid reports of gang ties, the Eagles cut DeSean Jackson. I grew up with him. I believe him to be a good person. I also know why NFL players from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in L.A. keep friends from when we were nobodies

By Richard Sherman

I’m not going to tell you that DeSean Jackson isn’t in a gang, because I can’t say unequivocally that he isn’t. I can’t tell you whether his friends have done the things police have accused them of doing, because I wasn’t there. I can’t tell you what DeSean does with his time, because we play football on opposite ends of the country. I can only tell you that I believe him to be a good person, and if you think, say or write otherwise without knowing the man, you’re in the wrong.

And if it’s true the Eagles terminated his contract in part because they grew afraid of his alleged “gang ties,” then they did something worse.

I look at those words—gang ties—and I think about all the players I’ve met in the NFL and all of us who come from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in Los Angeles, and I wonder how many of us could honestly say we’re not friends with guys doing the wrong things.

I can’t.

I grew up in Watts, and I played baseball with DeSean in elementary school on a team coached by his father near Inglewood. His father, Bill, picked me up from elementary school 30 minutes away from his home for practice and games because my parents both worked and didn’t finish until later, and I wanted to play baseball with some childhood friends. Bill was a great coach, and a great man. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2009, the summer after his son’s rookie season. DeSean and I didn’t hang out then like we did as kids.

Those men with DeSean in the social pictures and the police reports weren’t his closest friends in childhood, but when his father died and few people were there for him, they were there. When a tragic event like that happens, the people who are around are the people who are around, and they were there for him.

Was DeSean supposed to then say, “Thanks guys, but now that I’m a millionaire, please leave me alone”? Even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t have. In desperate times for people who come from desperate communities, your friends become your family. I wouldn’t expect DeSean to “distance himself” from anybody, as so many people suggest pro athletes ought to do despite having no understanding of what that means. Going to college and playing in the NFL creates a natural distance, but we can’t push people away just because they’re not as successful as us. I can’t change who I grew up with, but what I can do is try to educate them on the right way of doing things, help them when they need it, and try to keep them out of trouble.

There is, of course, a tipping point. There have been times when I realized that someone can’t be helped, because they continue doing the wrong things. Typically, the only time I cut someone off is when they’re in jail, because I can’t help them there.

And if they’re accused of a crime, as DeSean’s friends have been, should that reflect poorly on me? Consider that for every several guys I try to help who end up dead or in jail, there’s another person I was able to rescue from a similar end. Should I give up on everybody out of fear of being dirtied by the media?

Sorry, but I was born in this dirt.

NFL teams understand that. The Seattle Seahawks get it. The Philadelphia Eagles apparently do not.

This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every n—– here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.

But DeSean Jackson is the menace, right? He’s just as bad as those guys he parties with because he threw up a Crip sign in a picture and he owns a gangsta rap record label. If only all record label owners were held to this standard, somebody might realize that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg weren’t the bosses behind NWA. Jim Irsay lookalikes in suits were.

But go ahead and judge DeSean for the company he keeps. While you’re at it, judge me, too, because I still live in Los Angeles, and my family does, too. We didn’t run from where we grew up. We aren’t afraid to be associated with the people who came up with us. We brought some our money back and started charities and tried to help out a few guys who were with us when we were nobodies.

I won’t apologize for that, and I suspect neither will DeSean when he’s back on the field doing what he’s always done: grinding through adversity.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson was cut for various other reasons as well but, other than that, it's difficult to argue with what Sherman is saying there.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm betting Jackson got cut due to money and issues with the coach. Cover up by the Eagle to make it palatable for the fans!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wholly Shit, did Sherman just rip-off the NFL's freaking fascade and obvious duplicity. Wow! I agree that the owners are racist, and Sherman doesn't mince words. What the heck is the NFL PR machine going to do about a Super Bowl Champion Black Man with a Microphone who knows how to write and employ the media just as well as they do?

I've been quite a vocal supporter of Sherman here on ROD, and I will continue to be. Too bad he's on the Seacocks, but this man is smart, wise, and apparently isn't afraid to talk straight. I love it.

This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every n—– here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.
Ouch!

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.
Double Ouch!

But DeSean Jackson is the menace, right? He’s just as bad as those guys he parties with because he threw up a Crip sign in a picture and he owns a gangsta rap record label. If only all record label owners were held to this standard, somebody might realize that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg weren’t the bosses behind NWA. Jim Irsay lookalikes in suits were.
OMFG Ouch!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Yeah that bit about Irsay should really resonate with all players.
Kids like Justin Blackmon are busted for DUI and teams are encouraged to cut them or somehow discipline them to send a message. Pead smokes a little weed and he's a hoodlum. Irsay gets popped with more cash than I'll ever hold in my hands and some pills and he's struggling with demons from the past.

RamsFan14

Starter
People give Sherman a lot of garbage and barely know anything about the man other then a few rants he's had (ala Crabtree). Granted he's probably been out of line in a few scenarios, he's far from a legitimate problem compared to a lot of players. He's never gotten in trouble with the law (impressive considering how he grew up, people need to realize that), he's pretty smart guy (went to Stanford and did well in school), and he works hard to win games because he cares. His philosophy about playing the game is an interesting one that turns some people the wrong way but just because he might come off as cocky doesn't mean he's a bad person at all. If anything, he might be one of the smartest players in the game, people need to lay off the guy. That was a good read. I'd like a player like him on the Rams... Sure does suck to play against him tho!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I agree with everything Sherman has said, but I doubt it was simply his 'gang ties' and more over his complete and utter lack of respect for anything that did him in.

You don't come and bitch about getting more money after already getting a fat ass contract a few years ago, coupling it with your other character issues and bravado. I sincerely doubt that 'gang ties' were all it took for Philly to tell him to piss off after he had the best season in his career. Nobody does that and succeeds, that in my mind was what did Desean in, the media is just trying to stir up controversy like it always does.

Desean's hubris is why he's not an Eagle anymore.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree with everything Sherman has said, but I doubt it was simply his 'gang ties' and more over his complete and utter lack of respect for anything that did him in.

^ This.

Douch_on was cut because his entire "package" wasn't worth keeping around.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Sherman makes some good points, but he still doesn't make a solid argument to me.

His N-word argument with Riley is baseless based on his own claim that banning the use of the word makes the NFL racist. I'm not making that up, those are his words. Riley got a slap on the wrist because on damn near every down in every game players throw the term around like its nothin. I also don't want to hear the ger vs. gga argument. If the word elicits pain then don't use it- PERIOD. You can't have it both ways.

I don't blame him for trying to help out guys from his old neighborhood(or DJ for that matter), but claiming that throwin up gang signs is no big deal is foolish. You don't agree then go to a Raiders game and throw your hands around and see what happens.

As for Irsay - yea that is spot on. Gooddell is just full of it when it comes to owners. Definite doube standard there. He just glossed right over the drugs and made it all about the DUI

iced

Sherman makes some good points, but he still doesn't make a solid argument to me.

His N-word argument with Riley is baseless based on his own claim that banning the use of the word makes the NFL racist. I'm not making that up, those are his words. Riley got a slap on the wrist because on damn near every down in every game players throw the term around like its nothin. I also don't want to hear the ger vs. gga argument. If the word elicits pain then don't use it- PERIOD. You can't have it both ways.

No the problem is they'd just be banning the N-word - they never said anything about banning all racial words. That was his point - they were singling out just the n-word...people would just use somethin' else anyway

When you consider that the league is predominantly black - it's a bit easier to understand where they're coming from.
You don't agree then go to a Raiders game and throw your hands around and see what happens.
i've seen that before - they just grab your hands and sing along, like barney

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
No the problem is they'd just be banning the N-word - they never said anything about banning all racial words. That was his point - they were singling out just the n-word...people would just use somethin' else anyway

When you consider that the league is predominantly black - it's a bit easier to understand where they're coming from.

i've seen that before - they just grab your hands and sing along, like barney
I think the issue is that quite frankly there are no other racial slurs being tossed around... slurs may be a close second, but I can't think of a single instance of another racial slur being used.

iced

I think the issue is that quite frankly there are no other racial slurs being tossed around... slurs may be a close second, but I can't think of a single instance of another racial slur being used.

I'm not in the NFL locker room or field, so I'm not going to assume what is and isn't said... but I've heard plenty of derogatory words through my own experiences like deployment... (Hell I use them with right crowd).. but I think it's an area that's all or nothing - there's no in betweens.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

That's not why it's banned, it's not being singled out for no reason. They use the word like they breath then they don't want anybody else using it, which is dumb because if it's acceptable than it's acceptable and if it's not then they shouldn't be calling each other it. They basically want their cake and to eat it too, but because the NFL can't really tell them to stop being so fence sitty they have to ban the word for shit like that to stop coming around. No other word like that is used as a term of endearment like the N-word.

With the Cooper and Cogs scandals both coming in the same year, can you really blame them for saying fuck it and just banning the word all together?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not why it's banned, it's not being singled out for no reason. They use the word like they breath then they don't want anybody else using it, which is dumb because if it's acceptable than it's acceptable and if it's not then they shouldn't be calling each other it. They basically want their cake and to eat it too, but because the NFL can't really tell them to stop being so fence sitty they have to ban the word for crap like that to stop coming around. No other word like that is used as a term of endearment like the N-word.

With the Cooper and Cogs scandals both coming in the same year, can you really blame them for saying freak it and just banning the word all together?

You keep using the phrase "they" as if we're not all human beings. I think its immature to say i need to say that word because they can otherwise its not fair. You might find a lot more understanding if you stopped looking at things as "us" vs "them"

iced

That's not why it's banned, it's not being singled out for no reason. They use the word like they breath then they don't want anybody else using it, which is dumb because if it's acceptable than it's acceptable and if it's not then they shouldn't be calling each other it. They basically want their cake and to eat it too, but because the NFL can't really tell them to stop being so fence sitty they have to ban the word for crap like that to stop coming around. No other word like that is used as a term of endearment like the N-word.

With the Cooper and Cogs scandals both coming in the same year, can you really blame them for saying freak it and just banning the word all together?

Actually there are plenty of non-blacks that have used the word without a racial uproar, including white people...The problem is people keep associating this word with color... Which i don't think it is anymore, I think now it's cultural.

and when someone says "Yo my nigga" - the last thing someone should think when hear that word is that they're being offensive, when actually in that context its a term of endearment

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You keep using the phrase "they" as if we're not all human beings. I think its immature to say i need to say that word because they can otherwise its not fair. You might find a lot more understanding if you stopped looking at things as "us" vs "them"
I call them they because I don't associate with that group that uses a word that still apparently falls under the connotations of something that was used to keep us down as people as a term of endearment or interjection of the same veins as pal, besides THEY are a group of people who do something that I don't do, what do you want me to call them exactly?

I don't want to be understanding, I feel it holds us back as a culture, but that's a whole different bag of worms to open up. The fact of the matter the thing is that it's being banned because the players use it extensively and people who are not black see this and see it as acceptable and it's bringing shit onto the NFL when it's found that it's not.

It's not a racist move, it's a business move.

jjab360

Legend

48034998.jpg