RG Knee...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/st ... y-torn-lcl

Dan Graziano

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III suffered a partially torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Griffin also likely tore at least part of his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), but it's unknown how severe it is because a previous knee injury he suffered at Baylor in 2009 required two screws and a rubber band to hold it together.

Because of the previous injury, doctors initially could not determine Monday if his ACL was partially or completely torn and doctors don't know what surgery should be performed.

The Washington Post reported earlier that Griffin's MRI suggested partial tears to the ACL and LCL.

Griffin, who entered Sunday's wild-card playoff game already nursing a previously sprained LCL in the same knee, appeared to tweak the knee on a pass attempt in the first quarter and then left the game in the fourth quarter after twisting his leg while attempting to recover a muffed shotgun snap.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said in a news conference Monday the results of the MRI are prompting the team to send Griffin to Pensacola, Fla., on Tuesday to see orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who serves as a Redskins' physician, for further examinations and determine how to proceed.

"There is a concern," Shanahan said. "That's why he's going to see him."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm really disgusted with Shanahan keeping rg3 in that game.... what was his guaranteed money?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Where was all this media outrage when Youngblood played with a broken leg? Or Faulk playing 2 weeks after knee surgery?
You suck it up and play. There's no freaking bubble wrap in the NFL. Geez.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yamahopper said:
Where was all this media outrage when Youngblood played with a broken leg? Or Faulk playing 2 weeks after knee surgery?

A lot of honor and heart shows when limping onto the field to try and compete but as a coach you have to have a clear perspective, unbiased so to speak. It was VERY clear to me sitting at home watching on TV that it was time to go to Cousins if A - you wanted to have a chance to win the game, and B - for RGIII's knee to live to fight another day. Shannahan screwed the pooch on this one. The question is now will RGIII try and come back too soon from this surgery? Will he be allowed to do so? Will he be the same? Cousins could be the future at QB for the Redskins.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ramhusker said:
Yamahopper said:

A lot of honor and heart shows when limping onto the field to try and compete but as a coach you have to have a clear perspective, unbiased so to speak. It was VERY clear to me sitting at home watching on TV that it was time to go to Cousins if A - you wanted to have a chance to win the game, and B - for RGIII's knee to live to fight another day. Shannahan screwed the pooch on this one. The question is now will RGIII try and come back too soon from this surgery? Will he be allowed to do so? Will he be the same? Cousins could be the future at QB for the Redskins.

Whoa now, first of all,there were 22 guys on the field on every play that could easily have been and probably were injured and many were ONLY able to play AT ALL because they were taking injections of Toredol or some other pain relief drug.
Second,IMO most of the damage if not all of it had been done, I ask anyone who watched that game to show me THE MOMENT the leg got injured further.
Nothing I saw was CLOSE to the hit that injured the knee the first time ,NOTHING.
The Dr. who is throwing Shanahan under the bus had the ability to refuse clearance for RG to play and for him to AFTER THE FACT say what he did is self serving, makes me suspect an agenda.
A Drs. duty of care could be where the REAL violation or dereliction of duty comes in.
Bottom line though any marginally "able " player ANY PLAYER who is on the fence medically will tell you "if it was a playoff game ,I'd be playing,Youngblood, T.O. ,R.G.Ray Lewis, when the game is the last ditch, offseason infirmity vs. not putting the best on the field any coach makes the same decisision Shanahan does.

I personally THINK RG diodn't really injure that leg any further , the first MRI was done when the leg was swollen and to my knowledge there was only one.
Had he NOT played against Dallas they wouldn't have made the playoffs, had they lost the game and he had played,IMO he still would have had surgery, and the same sport would be in play ,the sport of assigning blame

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thordaddy said:
Ramhusker said:
Yamahopper said:

Whoa now, first of all,there were 22 guys on the field on every play that could easily have been and probably were injured and many were ONLY able to play AT ALL because they were taking injections of Toredol or some other pain relief drug.
Second,IMO most of the damage if not all of it had been done, I ask anyone who watched that game to show me THE MOMENT the leg got injured further.
Nothing I saw was CLOSE to the hit that injured the knee the first time ,NOTHING.
The Dr. who is throwing Shanahan under the bus had the ability to refuse clearance for RG to play and for him to AFTER THE FACT say what he did is self serving, makes me suspect an agenda.
A Drs. duty of care could be where the REAL violation or dereliction of duty comes in.
Bottom line though any marginally "able " player ANY PLAYER who is on the fence medically will tell you "if it was a playoff game ,I'd be playing,Youngblood, T.O. ,R.G.Ray Lewis, when the game is the last ditch, offseason infirmity vs. not putting the best on the field any coach makes the same decisision Shanahan does.

I personally THINK RG diodn't really injure that leg any further , the first MRI was done when the leg was swollen and to my knowledge there was only one.
Had he NOT played against Dallas they wouldn't have made the playoffs, had they lost the game and he had played,IMO he still would have had surgery, and the same sport would be in play ,the sport of assigning blame

The moment that RGIII should have been pulled from that game was EASY to see for me. I'd have to go back and watch it again to tell you where in the game it was but I think in the 3rd qtr. He scrambled, well, limped out of the pocket to his left and made a "festus" sprint to the sideline. Good blocking on the play allowed him to gain about 7 yards. THAT was the moment I would of pulled him. He obviously wouldn't of been able to defend himself on the play if it were not for the blocking. He was NOT going to win the game for you at that point. Cousins would of been a more effective scrambler at that moment. He was done. I don't care how big a heart you got at that moment. It wasn't going to bring back what makes his game special. He was a detriment to his team's chances of winning. The COACH has to recognize that and make the call.

Sure, it's the NFL and players play hurt EVERY game. And there is a long list of heroic performances by injured players but there is also a long list of defeats of teams that tried to make it with broken stars while healthy back-ups watched on scratching their heads. Shannahan made the wrong call in my opinion. He must of got caught up in RGIII's magic because he knew he had a good backup on the bench.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Robert Griffin III's knee. More popular than congress.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ramhusker said:
Thordaddy said:
Ramhusker said:
Yamahopper said:

The moment that RGIII should have been pulled from that game was EASY to see for me. I'd have to go back and watch it again to tell you where in the game it was but I think in the 3rd qtr. He scrambled, well, limped out of the pocket to his left and made a "festus" sprint to the sideline. Good blocking on the play allowed him to gain about 7 yards. THAT was the moment I would of pulled him. He obviously wouldn't of been able to defend himself on the play if it were not for the blocking. He was NOT going to win the game for you at that point. Cousins would of been a more effective scrambler at that moment. He was done. I don't care how big a heart you got at that moment. It wasn't going to bring back what makes his game special. He was a detriment to his team's chances of winning. The COACH has to recognize that and make the call.

Sure, it's the NFL and players play hurt EVERY game. And there is a long list of heroic performances by injured players but there is also a long list of defeats of teams that tried to make it with broken stars while healthy back-ups watched on scratching their heads. Shannahan made the wrong call in my opinion. He must of got caught up in RGIII's magic because he knew he had a good backup on the bench.

That. I would have pulled him at that point as well. You could see on the Earl Thomas INT that he was not able to drive his throws. Call him a "hero" or whatever for staying in the game, but he was absolutely a LIABILITY to his team AND his own health out there. If anyone thinks that you can't do further damage to an ALREADY damaged knee by stressing it and planting on it, well..I don't know what to tell ya. That last snap might have been the difference between a non surgical off season rehab, and what he ultimately had done today by Dr. Andrews. He should not have been out there at all IMO. You don't mortgage your 15 year investment for one fucking playoff game. He may never be the same player again.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's a shame because he's exciting to watch, but I believe RGIII will be ridden into the ground, he'll keep getting hit, he'll keep getting hurt - but I guess that's why Shennanegans picked up Cousins too?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
shaunpinney said:
It's a shame because he's exciting to watch, but I believe RGIII will be ridden into the ground, he'll keep getting hit, he'll keep getting hurt - but I guess that's why Shennanegans picked up Cousins too?

You don't buy a boat if you intend to live in the desert.
RG was valuable because he did what got him hurt, durability will always be an issue for guys who play that way , and coaches fans and announcers will always be lured by the effectiveness his style offers.
I can't fault others for using him in his highest and best fashion, I'm just glad we aren't in Washingtons position.
We won that trade, spectacularly ,not close.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thordaddy said:
shaunpinney said:

You don't buy a boat if you intend to live in the desert.
RG was valuable because he did what got him hurt, durability will always be an issue for guys who play that way , and coaches fans and announcers will always be lured by the effectiveness his style offers.
I can't fault others for using him in his highest and best fashion, I'm just glad we aren't in Washingtons position.
We won that trade, spectacularly ,not close.

Agreed. The Rams won the trade with the Skins. It isn't quite as apparent to many yet but time will bare that one out.

And RGIII's "college" QB style only works for a limited time in the NFL. I hear pundits saying there is a transformation at the QB position in the NFL. Well, there may be but I say it is temporary and will fade away once they run out of bodies. Running QBs in the NFL don't last, period. Sure, there has been great scramblers over the years but no "running" QB has lasted more than 3 or 4 effective years.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I saw a quote from Ken Stabler yesterday that made me chuckle ...

"I've seen lots of very talented young running QBs... I've never seen an old one."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Selassie I said:

"I've seen lots of very talented young running QBs... I've never seen an old one."

CLASSIC!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
93QKr.png

[nfl]0ap2000000124287[/nfl]
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... RG3-injury

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He fucking told Shanahan he wasn't hurt. Shanahan paraphrasing "'Coach, there's a difference between being injured and being hurt,' " Shanahan relayed later. "He said, 'I can guarantee I'm hurt right now but give me the chance to win this football game because I guarantee I'm not injured.'

On if Shanahan would've took him out. "I would've been right back out there."

Take what you want from it. Obviously Shanahan had the power to do it, but that's him putting trust in Griffin. His quarterback. I expect to see him taken out every time he gets a scratch if he plays at all next year, or in the future.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Selassie I said:

Steve McNair maybe, but he was a fucking tank, and he didn't do a whole lot of running after a short while. He also had more injuries than anyone in sports I can remember. Seriously.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:

Lol... Awesome. True, too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:
Agreed. The Rams won the trade with the Skins. It isn't quite as apparent to many yet but time will bare that one out.

I'm not looking to crown a winner, so to speak, but yeah.... Think about it;

We got Brockers, Pead, plus 2 more first rounders, and... We have Bradford at QB.

They have RG3.

So... Brockers, Pead, Bradford > RG3 even without the 2 first rounders to come.

It's not even close unless we botch the picks... And who knows about RG3 right now?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:
He fucking told Shanahan he wasn't hurt. Shanahan paraphrasing "'Coach, there's a difference between being injured and being hurt,' " Shanahan relayed later. "He said, 'I can guarantee I'm hurt right now but give me the chance to win this football game because I guarantee I'm not injured.'

On if Shanahan would've took him out. "I would've been right back out there."

Take what you want from it. Obviously Shanahan had the power to do it, but that's him putting trust in Griffin. His quarterback. I expect to see him taken out every time he gets a scratch if he plays at all next year, or in the future.

In the military we had a guy get peppered with shrapnel in his face, arms, and legs during a firefight. He said he was fine and didn't need an evac, wanted to stay in the fight. We didn't call a bird in till the fight was over, and he was just fine in the end. He couldn't move very easily so we bandaged him up and put him against a firing position that he didn't need to move much. We had another guy in another firefight who got a quarter of his chest cavity blown off by an RPG, who also refused medevac and wanted to stay and fight. We told him to lay his ass down on the stretcher and he didn't have a choice but to get on the damn bird. The medics on the Blackhawk later told us he tried to sit up so he could call out enemy positions as they flew away, and they had to pin him to the floor.

Point is, if a guy wants to be there, he will push through injury and insist that he is okay. It's up to the leader to determine where the line is to allow someone to push through and when to get them out. When RG3 was limping back to the huddle in very obvious pain early in the game (second quarter I believe) I feel that was the line.

Shanahan's job as a coach is to be able to tell his Quarterback when he needs to sit, I felt he failed to do that. From the start of the year, Shanahan has done nothing to help RG3's development as a real NFL QB.