Return TDs allowed proved costly for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Return TDs allowed proved costly for Rams

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ca2068f4-2be7-5084-9c11-9e42f1b4bfef.html

The Rams gave up a league-high 10 returns for touchdowns this season. If that total was merely cut in half, they probably would’ve had another victory or two this season.

Such plays are big momentum-changers, especially when they take place in the second half as was the case for eight of those 10 return TDs.

“That’s a good point,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s not only when they take place, it’s against who that they’re taking place in close games. With those things, ball security’s got to be very, very important to us.”

The Rams gave up two such scores in a six-point loss to Philadelphia, and one return score in a three-point loss to Dallas.

In their Oct. 13 Monday night game against San Francisco, the Rams were down by one score in the fourth quarter — 24-17 — when an interception return for a TD clinched the victory for the 49ers.

The Rams trailed by three in the fourth quarter Nov. 9 at Arizona — 17-14 — when two return TDs by the Cardinals off Rams turnovers made it a 31-14 final.

In a three-point loss at San Diego, the Rams gave up a sack-fumble returned for a TD. And the season finale at Seattle was a one-score game in the fourth quarter before an interception return for a TD made it a 20-6 victory for the Seahawks.

Eight of the 10 return touchdowns allowed by the Rams came on offensive turnovers — six on interception returns for TDs, and two on fumble recoveries returned for TDs following quarterback sacks.

And six of those eight TDs on offensive turnovers came with Austin Davis at quarterback (four “picks 6s” and two sack-fumble returns for TDs). That was one of the reasons Davis was replaced by Shaun Hill at quarterback over the final seven games of the season.

Hill wasn’t perfect, but he was on the field for only two such scores (one pick 6, and one sack-fumble return for a TD.)

The other two return TDs came against Rams special teams:

• A blocked punt by Philadelphia that was returned 10 yards for a touchdown.

• A 99-yard kickoff return for a score by Kansas City’s Knile Davis to open the second half.

The NFL average for return touchdowns allowed was 3.3 per team this season, so the Rams were three times above that. In fact, only two other teams in the league allowed more than five return TDs this season: Washington (seven) and Jacksonville (six).

On the other side of the coin, the Rams scored five TDs on returns: three on interception returns and two on punt returns. So in a season in which they had seven games decided by seven points or less, they were outscored 70-35 on return TDs.

WINNING EDGE

Even if turnovers don’t directly result in a touchdown, takeaway-giveaway differential remains one of the most important factors in success or failure in the NFL. The Rams came up on the short end this season with 25 takeaways and 27 giveaways, for a minus-2 differential.

As Fisher pointed out, only one of the 12 teams to make the playoffs this year finished on the minus side of takeaway-giveaway differential. That team was Indianapolis at minus-5.

GAME BALLS

At the final team meeting on Monday, Fisher presented game balls to the entire kickoff return team in recognition of Benny Cunningham leading the NFC in kickoff return average this season at 27.5 yards per return. That average was good for fifth overall in the NFL.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

As part of the team’s wrap-up meetings Monday, Fisher said the team set goals for the offseason.

“Went through the do’s and don’ts for the offseason,” he said. “I sensed a great deal of enthusiasm and energy. The guys left on a positive note, despite the record, despite leaving 24 hours after a loss.

“They all put forth a tremendous effort this past year, and I know they’re looking forward to coming back and changing things significantly. I mentioned to them that there’s nothing better than being out on the practice field on Wednesday after the regular season is over.”

You get to do that only when you qualify for the playoffs.

“That’s our focus and that’s our goal.” Fisher said.

The formal start of the Rams’ offseason program is April 20.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This year, 4.4 of the Rams 22.1 PPG Allowed were due to the offense or special teams. That means around 20% of our PPG Allowed this year were not allowed by the defense. For the average NFL team, 6% of their PPG Allowed were not allowed by the defense. This means if we were league average, we would have given up around 50 less points this year which would have lowered our PPG Allowed from 22.1 to 19.0.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The turnover margin is part of why Fisher loves Sam and wants him to come back. 'Captain checkdown' is very good with ball security.

I really thought SnEad and Fisher were going to come out of the draft with McArron last year. I recall a radio interview where he said a coach was telling him how much they like that he takes care of the football. That is Fishers m.o. To a fault. I doubt there is any way they could pry him away from the Bemgals if they had interest. Not much good reason to give away a backup in year two.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The whole ball security issue makes me wonder if Fisher takes it too far. It almost seems like he has this idea that you cannot risk turnovers to the point that he restricts the offens too much at times. Mostly when he has a lead like at the start of the third quarter, which is when they always came out flatter than Paris Hilton's chest.

Maybe that was why such third quarter suckiness?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've been harping on this for awhile now. Ya'll are probably tired of it too :)

Rams finished 3rd worst in the NFL in giveaway points off turnovers. 102 points to be exact. Awful. Like crawling uphill in quicksand against the wind with a bag on your hip.

Rams finished 14th best on points off takeaways(79)

NET -23 (6th worst in the NFL)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This year, 4.4 of the Rams 22.1 PPG Allowed were due to the offense or special teams. That means around 20% of our PPG Allowed this year were not allowed by the defense. For the average NFL team, 6% of their PPG Allowed were not allowed by the defense. This means if we were league average, we would have given up around 50 less points this year which would have lowered our PPG Allowed from 22.1 to 19.0.

Both Hill and Davis gave up loads of points, or TO's that led to points. ST's gave up two, that's manageable and I would guess in the league norm or very close to it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The whole ball security issue makes me wonder if Fisher takes it too far. It almost seems like he has this idea that you cannot risk turnovers to the point that he restricts the offens too much at times. Mostly when he has a lead like at the start of the third quarter, which is when they always came out flatter than Paris Hilton's chest.

Maybe that was why such third quarter suckiness?

Yeah, but I'd still bang that strumpet.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What was our avg offensive and ST PPG?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Hill was actually any better than Davis at taking care of the ball? They both seemed to make a lot of costly turnovers and both led to TDs.

48 Austin Davis

180 284 63.4 28.4 2,001 7.0 200.1 12 9 59T 85.1

49 Shaun Hill

145 229 63.3 25.4 1,657 7.2 184.1 8 7 63T 83.9

Just as I suspected. Davis actually played a little bit better than Hill, even with all the pick 6s.

Why not just bring Davis back instead then?

MrMotes

Starter
Our defense gave up 17.8 ppg to the other team's offense, good for 5th best in the NFL.

Besides not scoring a lot of points, the offense leads the league in giving away points. It's pretty clear which side of the ball isn't doing its job...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just as I suspected. Davis actually played a little bit better than Hill, even with all the pick 6s.

Why not just bring Davis back instead then?

Because he gave up points to the opponents which cost us games that we should have won or been in position to win.

Davis gave up lots of points, Hill not so much. If they play basically equally and Hill has much better ball security... Fisher's going to go with Hill. Every time. Why? Because those pick 6s were killers. Plain and simple.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Because he gave up points to the opponents which cost us games that we should have won or been in position to win.

Davis gave up lots of points, Hill not so much. If they play basically equally and Hill has much better ball security... Fisher's going to go with Hill. Every time. Why? Because those pick 6s were killers. Plain and simple.

But Hill threw pick 6s as well, and lost the game against SD with that INT. I don't think he played much better if at all.

iced

But Hill threw pick 6s as well, and lost the game against SD with that INT. I don't think he played much better if at all.

i thought the offense was better with hill at the helm, especially against tougher defenses. He also was much better with the ball, and was more consistent down the stretch..davis had really fallen off in his last few games

i thought the offense was better with hill at the helm, especially against tougher defenses. He also was much better with the ball, and was more consistent down the stretch..davis had really fallen off in his last few games

What better Ds did Hill face? Arizona 6 points, Seattle 6 points, anyone else?

iced

What better Ds did Hill face? Arizona 6 points, Seattle 6 points, anyone else?

Giants D was on fire at that time - think they had 20+ sacks in the last 3 games coming in.

Denver has a good D

San Diego is good - not top 10 but decent

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Davis threw 4 "pick 6's" and also lost 2 fumbles for TD returns. Compared to Hill throwing ONE "pick 6" and ONE fumble return. In addition to throwing more INT's, Davis also lost 3 fumbles. (Hill lost 1 fumble)

Anyway you try to spin it, Davis was MUCH less careful with the football. His TWELVE turnovers take the cake over Hill's EIGHT, and he accounted for SIX return TD's compared to Hill's TWO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I kinda wish there were other options...

I mean, I really AGREE with @CoachO on this... but I surely don't "like" it... just feels weird to "like" a post about agreeing with his take about our QBs turning over the ball. Very, very weird...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Return touchdowns Rams' biggest regret
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15160/return-touchdowns-rams-biggest-regret

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In assessing his team's performance in 2014, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher ran down a list of things he felt his team did well during the course of the season.

As Fisher discussed the performance of the defense, he pointed to that group's ability to keep opponents out of the end zone. And then he pointed to the thing that often seemed to cancel out much of the good that the defense was able to accomplish.

"Our defense, in points allowed, I think was fourth or fifth at 17.7 points per game," Fisher said. "If you exclude the returns."

Ah, yes, the returns. When all was said and done in the Rams' 6-10 campaign, they were on the wrong end of 10 opponent returns for touchdown either from special teams or while the Rams were on offense. Those 10 returns for touchdowns, usually coming in the form of interceptions brought back, were the most in the NFL this season.

Making matters worse, eight of those returns came in the second half of games when the result was usually still hanging in the balance. It doesn't take John Nash to figure out the math on how those returns often influenced the outcome of many of the Rams' close losses.

The Rams had an interception returned for a touchdown in a three-point loss to Dallas, gave up two return scores in what turned into a six-point loss to Philadelphia and coughed up a fumble that was returned for a score in a three-point loss to San Diego. There's no way to know how those games would have played out otherwise but that's at least three examples of games there for the taking were it not for such miscues.

"Our offense, on the other hand, we only scored 18 points per game," Fisher said. "When you’re allowing 10 returns for touchdowns, then you have a point differential of less than a point -- you’re going to lose some football games. That’s kind of what happened to us. In our five returns for touchdowns, we won four of those five games. It’s not new news, it’s just reality of the National Football League. It’s hard to overcome those kinds of things. There’s one team in the playoffs right now that is minus in takeaway/giveaway and that would be the [Indianapolis] Colts. Everybody else that’s minus is watching this weekend."

The timing of those mistakes also made a big difference in games that turned out more lopsided than they really were as a direct result of the costly giveaways.

In losses at Seattle and Arizona and at home against San Francisco, the Rams were down by seven or less in the fourth quarter in all three games only to have turnovers returned for touchdowns that immediately expanded the deficit to a point the Rams could not make up.

“It’s not only when they take place, it’s against who that they’re taking place in close games," Fisher said. "Those things, ball security’s got to be very, very important to us."

Until the Rams can have an offense good enough to overcome such mistakes, ball security must be not just a top priority but the top priority.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hill vs. Davis is a wash for me. Both made 8 starts (not necessarily 8 finishes though). Davis played against the harder part of the schedule and had 12 TD's ... but also had 6 TO's that directly resulted in TD's. Hill played against the weaker part of our schedule, but only had 8 TD's ... but also only had 2 TO's returned for TD's.

In either case, color me unimpressed. I won't be upset if neither of them is wearing horns next year.