Return TDs allowed proved costly for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Games 2-10(Davis)- 19 ppg
Defense- 27 ppg

Games 11-16(Hill)- 23 ppg
Defense- 14 ppg

That's counting defensive touchdowns for both sides. Shaun Hill put up a few more points but our defense was also twice as good in the second half of the season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Defense- 27 ppg

Defense- 14 ppg

That's counting defensive touchdowns for both sides. Shaun Hill put up a few more points but our defense was also twice as good in the second half of the season.

That average was significantly swelled by the 52-0 drubbing of Oakland. In the end, I think you could make the case for Hill over Davis due to ball security, but it's not a strong case given that Hill didn't throw for that many TD's against the weaker teams on our schedule.

Looking at these two is part of why I like jrry's idea to bring in Glennon, he may not be exciting but I think he would give the Rams more upside than either Hill or Davis.

MrMotes

Starter
Defense- 27 ppg

Defense- 14 ppg

The defense didn't give up no 27 ppg. In games 2-10, Davis was responsible for 6 TD's going the other way. That's 42 points (nearly 5 per game) you're putting on the defense that belong squarely on Austin Davis...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The defense didn't give up no 27 ppg. In games 2-10, Davis was responsible for 6 TD's going the other way. That's 42 points (nearly 5 per game) you're putting on the defense that belong squarely on Austin Davis...
That's why I said I included defensive touchdowns. I didn't feel like doing the math otherwise. Our defense was still below average regardless of that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That average was significantly swelled by the 52-0 drubbing of Oakland. In the end, I think you could make the case for Hill over Davis due to ball security, but it's not a strong case given that Hill didn't throw for that many TD's against the weaker teams on our schedule.

Looking at these two is part of why I like jrry's idea to bring in Glennon, he may not be exciting but I think he would give the Rams more upside than either Hill or Davis.
Well you can't have it both ways. You could say they were also deflated by the Seattle game. They should have scored more then 6. They were moving the ball fine. I don't mind Glennon, but he's pretty turnover prone as well. He threw 17 ints over 16 games. That's a lot.

MrMotes

Starter
That's why I said I included defensive touchdowns. I didn't feel like doing the math otherwise. Our defense was still below average regardless of that.

Normally that stuff pretty much evens out but not in the Rams case this year. The defense's numbers are way skewed by the return TD's...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Normally that stuff pretty much evens out but not in the Rams case this year. The defense's numbers are way skewed by the return TD's...
Yeah, I figured it out. The defense gave up 21 ppg. With zero defensive touchdowns this is what our defense gave up per opponent when Davis was QB:
Bucs- 17
Cowboys- 27
Eagles- 20
49ers- 24
Seahawks- 26
Chiefs- 27
49ers- 10
Cardinals- 17

Still way too inconsistent.

With Hill(no defensive scores):
Denver- 7
San Diego- 20
Raiders, Redskins- 0
Cardinals- 12
Giants- 37
Seahawks- 13

Besides the Giants game, the defense was lights out with Hill at QB. You also have to factor in points allowed off turnovers which Davis did a lot as well. We were a better team with Hill at QB point blank.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Let's not forget that Davis also took some unnecessary sacks as well that knocked us out of field goal range or hurt our field position when he could have simply thrown the ball away.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well you can't have it both ways. You could say they were also deflated by the Seattle game. They should have scored more then 6. They were moving the ball fine. I don't mind Glennon, but he's pretty turnover prone as well. He threw 17 ints over 16 games. That's a lot.

Fair enough. Glennon's average is close to Hill's, Hill was about one per game, Glennon slightly above that. But he's 25, Hill will be 35.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Fair enough. Glennon's average is close to Hill's, Hill was about one per game, Glennon slightly above that. But he's 25, Hill will be 35.
Oh I agree 100% he's a better option then Hill. He can get better and I think he will. I would still take him as a backup.

Let's not forget that Davis also took some unnecessary sacks as well that knocked us out of field goal range or hurt our field position when he could have simply thrown the ball away.

Let's not forget that Davis is also the spawn of the devil and can be blamed for everything that went wrong in 2014, including but not limited to ISIS, flight MH370, flight MH17, Ebola, and the Boko Haram kidnappings. The Brazilians also blame him for losing 7-1 to Germany in the World Cup (although thankfully the Germans don't even acknowledge his existence).

Memphis Ram

Legend

I hope we don't forget that Davis was basically a rookie out there given his limited experience vs. a savvy veteran like Hill. IMO, that would lead me to believe that Davis has some upside.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
'Toxic Differential"...
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/toxic-differential/2014/

It's a an interesting stat. Not a be all, end all stat, but seems to provide some decent info, IMO. And somewhat to my surprise, the Rams didn't rank as badly this year as I was expecting to find.
So, if you wanted to sway games with least amount of effort, you'd throw a flag on a toxic differential play, reversing the toxin's effect? How many toxic differential plays were reversed for the Rams in 2014, and how does that compare to the other teams in the league? My guess is that the Cowboys benefitted the most.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I hope we don't forget that Davis was basically a rookie out there given his limited experience vs. a savvy veteran like Hill. IMO, that would lead me to believe that Davis has some upside.
True, I'm just pointing out that there were other factors involved besides the interceptions. If I had to choose between the two, give me Davis as he is much younger and he can learn from his mistakes. HOWEVER, I would rather have a much more competent backup than both Hill and Davis.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Because he gave up points to the opponents which cost us games that we should have won or been in position to win.

Davis gave up lots of points, Hill not so much. If they play basically equally and Hill has much better ball security... Fisher's going to go with Hill. Every time. Why? Because those pick 6s were killers. Plain and simple.

I dunno if I'd say MUCH BETTER but I'd be willing to say a BIT BETTER.

Ramathon

So, if you wanted to sway games with least amount of effort, you'd throw a flag on a toxic differential play, reversing the toxin's effect? How many toxic differential plays were reversed for the Rams in 2014, and how does that compare to the other teams in the league? My guess is that the Cowboys benefitted the most.

If you're into 'the fix is in' stuff, I guess you could look at it that way. I'm not.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If you're into 'the fix is in' stuff, I guess you could look at it that way. I'm not.
I'm not in to it at all. But unfortunately it's far more a reality than everyone wants to admit. And that's my observation after having more access to corporate Am. than I wish I had had.

Anyway, I think it would be pretty easy to see the pattern, if it exists. As I said in earlier thread, one could look at how many toxic differential plays were reversed for the Rams in 2014, and see how does that compares to other teams in the league. I betcha 500M ROD Bucks that the Rams are in the top 5 (probably top 3).

PS. My guess is also that this stat is not published, and isn't easy to calculate. Just this fact alone - that the pattern is almost impossible to discern because the data is not transparent - is a strong indicator.

Last edited: