CELEBRATE !! REPORT: Josh McDaniels Top Target for LA Rams HC gig

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When a member feels another member is out of line with our policies:

(a) file a mod report
(b) send one or all of us a pm
(c) use the ignore function
(d) confront the person
(e) sext with LesBaker

Thanks.

This is just too easy of a multiple choice test. The ones I take always have options d and e. I'll fix it. ;)

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
521a237222a7ef8d13ff1daa4deae58c.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I will believe it when it happens and FWIW's this could backfire on McDaniels as you never give up a sure thing for a possibility and you only have ask Gregg Williams about this. Williams was signed by Redskin owner Daniel Snyder to be the successor to Joe Gibbs. Williams could very well had been hired as Head Coach of the Rams back then and was highly regarded, however, for family chose to stay in Washington with the Guarantee that he would be the successor to Gibbs.

However, the Redskins had a couple of unproductive seasons in Gibbs final two years and Snyder made a huge Gaff and chose not to honor his commitment to Williams and went in another direction which ended up being a fiasco as Snyder was going to hire Jim Fassel and in fact, had hired Fassel's choice of OC Jim Zorn already, but because of the fans being outraged about the possible Fassel hiring, Snyder compounded his mistake by hiring Zorn as his head coach instead, it was just destine for failure from the outset.

I'd be very careful if I was McDaniels, if there is an opportunity and he feels good about it, I would not wait for Belichick to retire because I'm sure Kraft would honor that agreement, however, if the Patriots start not playing well and Brady retires too, I bet Kraft might think about going in another direction.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
I will believe it when it happens and FWIW's this could backfire on McDaniels as you never give up a sure thing for a possibility and you only have ask Gregg Williams about this. Williams was signed by Redskin owner Daniel Snyder to be the successor to Joe Gibbs. Williams could very well had been hired as Head Coach of the Rams back then and was highly regarded, however, for family chose to stay in Washington with the Guarantee that he would be the successor to Gibbs.

However, the Redskins had a couple of unproductive seasons in Gibbs final two years and Snyder made a huge Gaff and chose not to honor his commitment to Williams and went in another direction which ended up being a fiasco as Snyder was going to hire Jim Fassel and in fact, had hired Fassel choice of OC Jim Zorn already, but because of the fans being outraged about the possible Fassel hiring, Snyder compounded his mistake by hiring Zorn as his head coach instead, it was just destine for failure from the outset.

I'd be very careful if I was McDaniels, if there is an opportunity and he feels good about it, I would not wait for Belichick to retire because I'm sure Kraft would honor that agreement, however, if the Patriots start not playing well and Brady retires too, I bet Kraft might think about going in another direction.
Exactly. There are only 32 head coaching jobs and this year's hot coordinators can easily become next year's unemployed coordinators. Take a job when you can get one.

One thing I wholeheartedly agree with this article is the perception of Goff will play the biggest role in who the Rams get. I think they'll be fine in that regard, but one of the big named guys in great positions may pass if they don't feel Goff is up to snuff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That writer is pulling shit from his ass and calling it leads. Goff stinks? After four games? No Big name coach will want the job because of the QB? This guy will have to go back to sucking dick to support his habit, because he won't be earning money writing much longer.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This whole thing reminds me of the STL or LA nonsense. Rumor after rumor, article after article. Basically the same drivel posted and accomplishing nothing. This isn't some secret agency. It's the NFL. I think we need to stop thinking like an FBI agent and look at the cold hard facts.

Take the move to LA for example. What is the first thing Stan Kroenke said about it? On January 15th, 2015 it was reported that SK would be moving the Rams "No matter what". At first it was pure speculation. And literally hundreds of articles were written on the back and forth. But ultimately the answer was the same in the long run.

So let's take a look at the first documented evidence of the head coaching search.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/804118879400173568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This tells me they had already started the process. What other reason would he be there for? To visit Sean Mannion? No.

Another thing is what Stan has said. In his interview, he mentioned "doing it the Patriot way". So what does that tell us? Well, nothing really. He's been trying to do that for several years with Fisher and it failed. But he's sticking to his guns which means there's a good chance we will have another coach who's a veteran and a winner. Sounds like Shaw to me. Mike Shannahan is another guy that comes to mind.

I just don't see Stan hiring an inexperienced head coach to run the show in LA. And his history has pretty much shown that. So let's cool it on the arguments and numerous articles about potential head coaching candidates. We already know what's about to happen. Experience, Stability and class. That's the mantra. And that's what Stan wants.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
That article says that coaches are put off by Goff whereas Daniel Jeremiah in a recent Move the Sticks podcast said he'd been told by numerous sources that the LA gig was highly sought after by coaches with Goff being one of the reasons why.

It's a question of which media sources you trust more than others.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I understand the reservations over McDaniels ... I have the same. But damn, I really like his offense in NE. Other than Brady and Gronk (who seems to be on IR half the time), they don't seem to have any skill position players that really jump out at you and say WOW! And yet, year after year, they have one of the most efficient and effective offenses in the league ... with guys like, um, Julian Edlman and ... um ... um ... (can any of you help me out here with some names?). The point is, they rarely seems to have skill position guys that would be impact players with other teams, and yet they are always good. I also like how the EP offense uses drastically simplified terminology. And when they did have an impact WR (Moss), they scored a shinola-load of points. Thus, the offense combines simple playcalls (which can be quickly and efficiently communicated) along with a great deal of versatility, and with the right mind, doesn't require superstar WR's and RB's (but can certainly incorporate them).

If McDaniels truly was a changed man from his time in Denver, I'd be all on board ... but not knowing makes it a pretty big gamble.

tempests

Hall of Fame
That article says that coaches are put off by Goff whereas Daniel Jeremiah in a recent Move the Sticks podcast said he'd been told by numerous sources that the LA gig was highly sought after by coaches with Goff being one of the reasons why.

In Freeman's blurb he claims there is "tremendous doubt" about Goff's ability. He backs that up by including a link there that directs us to what Fran Tarkenton said on Twitter.

If he's counting that as an insider "source" I'd say there's no substance to anything Freeman passes on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not big on anonymous sources from anyone. But if we're weighing credibility, Jeremiah has a lot more credibility than Freeman.

FRO

Legend
This whole thing reminds me of the STL or LA nonsense. Rumor after rumor, article after article. Basically the same drivel posted and accomplishing nothing. This isn't some secret agency. It's the NFL. I think we need to stop thinking like an FBI agent and look at the cold hard facts.

Take the move to LA for example. What is the first thing Stan Kroenke said about it? On January 15th, 2015 it was reported that SK would be moving the Rams "No matter what". At first it was pure speculation. And literally hundreds of articles were written on the back and forth. But ultimately the answer was the same in the long run.

So let's take a look at the first documented evidence of the head coaching search.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/804118879400173568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This tells me they had already started the process. What other reason would he be there for? To visit Sean Mannion? No.

Another thing is what Stan has said. In his interview, he mentioned "doing it the Patriot way". So what does that tell us? Well, nothing really. He's been trying to do that for several years with Fisher and it failed. But he's sticking to his guns which means there's a good chance we will have another coach who's a veteran and a winner. Sounds like Shaw to me. Mike Shannahan is another guy that comes to mind.

I just don't see Stan hiring an inexperienced head coach to run the show in LA. And his history has pretty much shown that. So let's cool it on the arguments and numerous articles about potential head coaching candidates. We already know what's about to happen. Experience, Stability and class. That's the mantra. And that's what Stan wants.

The thing with firing Fisher early means you have an extremely long time to wait for the next HC which means a ton of rumors.