CELEBRATE !! REPORT: Josh McDaniels Top Target for LA Rams HC gig

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the reservations over McDaniels ... I have the same. But damn, I really like his offense in NE. Other than Brady and Gronk (who seems to be on IR half the time), they don't seem to have any skill position players that really jump out at you and say WOW! And yet, year after year, they have one of the most efficient and effective offenses in the league ... with guys like, um, Julian Edlman and ... um ... um ... (can any of you help me out here with some names?). The point is, they rarely seems to have skill position guys that would be impact players with other teams, and yet they are always good. I also like how the EP offense uses drastically simplified terminology. And when they did have an impact WR (Moss), they scored a shinola-load of points. Thus, the offense combines simple playcalls (which can be quickly and efficiently communicated) along with a great deal of versatility, and with the right mind, doesn't require superstar WR's and RB's (but can certainly incorporate them).

If McDaniels truly was a changed man from his time in Denver, I'd be all on board ... but not knowing makes it a pretty big gamble.

It may have to do with the fact that Brady can stand there most of the time a pick the open guy. Have you seen Brady perform under constant pressure? It ain't pretty.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It may have to do with the fact that Brady can stand there most of the time a pick the open guy. Have you seen Brady perform under constant pressure? It ain't pretty.

Having time to throw certainly helps, and I'm sure Goff's stat line would be better with more time as well. And conversely, constant pressure is almost always going to adversely affect a QB's play.

That being said, the WRs up there are nothing spectacular and yet their offense good year after year.

FRO

Legend

This. Brady is always protected. Pocket is always clean. Easy to be great when you can sit comfortably in the pocket. No QB can succeed with the Rams line.

FRO

Legend
Having time to throw certainly helps, and I'm sure Goff's stat line would be better with more time as well. And conversely, constant pressure is almost always going to adversely affect a QB's play.

That being said, the WRs up there are nothing spectacular and yet their offense good year after year.
Gronk disagrees with you.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This. Brady is always protected. Pocket is always clean. Easy to be great when you can sit comfortably in the pocket. No QB can succeed with the Rams line.

But is Brady's o line elite like the Cowboys for example or is it made better by the scheme or coaching to be better than the sum of their parts.

Genuine question. I've no idea myself.

The Cowboys have individuals within their O line that are among the best at their position. The Patriots don't seem to have those types of individuals.

Again I might be wrong but that's just the impression I get.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But is Brady's o line elite like the Cowboys for example or is it made better by the scheme or coaching to be better than the sum of their parts.

The Cowboys have individuals within their O line that are among the best at their position. The Patriots don't seem to have those types of individuals.

It's made to be better than the sum of its parts by coaching (mainly this guy) and by Brady.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brady deserves cred dudes. He benefits from the staff, no doubt, but they benefit from him too. Same deal with the OL, few QBs can dish that ball as quickly he can with the results he gets, and he makes their jobs easier too.

When a QB gets a gameplan from a top OC it accurately predicts what the defense will do vs different formations and route combinations and prepares the QB for success. It will even set up the defense to expect one thing and when they adjust have another thing ready, basically anticipating what their adjustments will be and attacking those too. And that's not even going into the coaching/teaching elements of the job from camp on.

Rams are missing all that from the OC position. Gotta start there, for Goff's sake. And yeah, add to the OL and WR positions of course. But it's gotta start with a coach.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/12/16/13991902/report-la-rams-head-coaching-rumors-josh-mcdaniels

Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman is reporting that New England Patriots Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels is the lead candidate to win the Los Angeles Rams head coaching job:

The Rams want Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels...but, I'm told, McDaniels is in no hurry to become a head coach again.

[The Rams] want to make a huge splash with a big name, but around the league there is a lot of skepticism they can lure one. The reason is Jared Goff. There's tremendous doubt about just how good he is. The thinking goes that the Rams will find it nearly impossible to get the big name they want because whoever goes there will have his wagon hitched to a player who just might stink.

It’s going to be a long search with a ton of back-and-forth, so don’t get tied up in the early report. As Sports Illustrated’s Peter King divulged earlier this week, Rams VP/COO Kevin Demoff put in serious ground work in the Rams’ 2012 head coaching search in Greg Schiano. As we all know, the Rams ultimately went with Jeff Fisher before Schiano headed to Tampa Bay.

In any case as we head into the weekend, perhaps consider this our first legit rumor of the search.

I call BS on this guy.

FRO

Legend

Coaching definitely goes into great lines. Talent does as well. I don't think an OC comes in here with the same players on the line and all the sudden makes the line good, but it can improve it maybe to a mediocre level. Got to improve the coaching and talent.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hope people who like the idea of McDaniels realize that the New England offense is the same offense Charlie Weis installed like 16 years ago. McDaniels has tweeked it but 75% is still the original offense Weis installed. These are the words of former Patroit Troy Brown.

My concern with McDaniels is the following. Is he really innovated? He has no success without Brady? He had great talent in Denver and blew it up. What work with the Rams did he do that suggest there was "something" there.

I like that he was a HC and maybe now has learned something, but his work in 2 places outside of Brady and Billicheck have been failures.

Q729

Legend
Every coach hired away from Billicheat have been letdowns elsewhere. Please, let's not waste more... well, everything.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

New England oline blows. It's barely average.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I hope people who like the idea of McDaniels realize that the New England offense is the same offense Charlie Weis installed like 16 years ago. McDaniels has tweeked it but 75% is still the original offense Weis installed. These are the words of former Patroit Troy Brown.

My concern with McDaniels is the following. Is he really innovated? He has no success without Brady? He had great talent in Denver and blew it up. What work with the Rams did he do that suggest there was "something" there.

I like that he was a HC and maybe now has learned something, but his work in 2 places outside of Brady and Billicheck have been failures.
Kyle Orton averaged 3700 yards and 21 TD to 10 picks the two years under McDaniels in Denver. Either the rest of the NFL failed Orton miserably, or McDaniels knows how to maximize a QBs ability.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Kyle Orton averaged 3700 yards and 21 TD to 10 picks the two years under McDaniels in Denver. Either the rest of the NFL failed Orton miserably, or McDaniels knows how to maximize a QBs ability.

Kyle Orton also threw for 3100 yards in 12 game with 18 TDs and 10 picks in Buffalo in 2014. Pretty similar if you ask me.

As of today 19 QBs have passed for 3000 yards with 3 games to go which means again about 19 QBs will throw for about 3700 yards. Orton's QB rating was 86 which was about his average. If you want to give him credit for then I can't argue that, I just don't give him much props for that.

i just don't see how he maximized anything. Orton has performed the same everywhere IMO when given the chance