Remember when I said I don't actually "hate" another team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Re: Remember when I said I don't actually "hate" another tea

RamFan503 said:
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:
So "Lynch mob" isn't a big deal? I really am making something out of nothing?
Of course it's tactless.

But ... consider the source.

Ha! Right?! Get a load of this douche nozzle...
57yCs.jpg

Who the hell walks around in their own corny ass shirt? Definitely worse than being "that guy" that wears the shirt of the band to the concert.

Which one?

Ha! Touch'e 503. Hard to pick a winner in that picture. I do love Marshawn's limp-wristed pose though.
"Oh stop..."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I grow weary of the whole sensitivity thing. Sorry.

Now as far as teams I hate....

I grew up hating the Whiners, Cowgirls, and Viqueens. All old time fans should understand that. I started following the Rams in the mid sixties. Over the years however, I simply love to see the cowgirls lose and am just Meh on the Vikes - though I do like Peterson (especially with him falling short of ED's record).

Now, hatred doesn't even describe what I feel for the patsies. If they had legitimately beat us in the Superbowl, I might just rout against them like the Steelers. But with them cheating their way to a 3 point "win" against us and the NFL wanking themselves instead of manning up, I want them to get throttled every time they step on the field - against ANYBODY.

The Shecocks have become second on my most hated list. We started going up to the games in Seattle even before the shecocks snuck into our division. The fans up there IMO are way worse than those I have encountered at Candlestick. Funny too because the Northwet is by in large, full of pretty polite, nice people. And yes, what decent organization sports THAT ugly of a color scheme?

My feeling for the whiners has evolved into more of a rivalry emotion. I will cheer for their oponent most of the time but when they are all that is left to represent the NFC West, I'm half heartedly wanting the other team to lose to them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Warner4Prez said:
Who the hell walks around in their own corny ass shirt? Definitely worse than being "that guy" that wears the shirt of the band to the concert.
Somebody that wants to be recognized and asked to pose like a fucktard for a picture, I guess.

What was the name of that movie you're quoting, btw? I say that line all the time "Don't be that guy", and I forget the name of the movie from which it came. I can see the scene in my mind, with Jeremy Piven standing there berating the guy for wearing a T-shirt OF the band to the band's concert, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the movie.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Angry Ram said:
nittany ram said:
Angry Ram said:
So "Lynch mob" isn't a big deal? I really am making something out of nothing?

I can see why you think it's offensive but to me it isn't a huge deal. I find the term "Redskins" much more offensive and its officially sanctioned by the NFL for chrissakes.

Really? Redskins I don't think is offensive, b/c they are using it for positive purposes. Naming a pro team after a group of people is pretty cool. My high school name was and still is the Redskins.

Lynch mob tho...a group of people going out looking for people to hang just b/c of skin color? That's disgusting.
Historically, the lynch mob was not always racially motivated. Vigilante justice was common in the old west. You heard about it more in the deep south, though, because of the civil rights movement.

But the choice of phrase for a group of fans is extremely unfortunate.

nittany ram

Rookie

Angry Ram said:
Really? Redskins I don't think is offensive, b/c they are using it for positive purposes. Naming a pro team after a group of people is pretty cool. My high school name was and still is the Redskins.

Lynch mob tho...a group of people going out looking for people to hang just b/c of skin color? That's disgusting.

Redskin is historically a derogatory term for native Americans. I don't see what's positive about an NFL team being named after a racial slur. "Redskin" is to Native Americans as "black" is to African Americans or as "Wetback" is to Latin Americans or as "Kike" is to a Jewish person.

Don't believe me? Go up to a native American and call him "Redskin" to his face...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

nittany ram said:
Angry Ram said:

Redskin is historically a derogatory term for native Americans. I don't see what's positive about an NFL team being named after a racial slur. "Redskin" is to Native Americans as "black" is to African Americans or as "Wetback" is to Latin Americans or as "Kike" is to a Jewish person.

Don't believe me? Go up to a native American and call him "Redskin" to his face...
It's offensive *now*, but racial intolerance wasn't such a pervasive thing back when the club was formed in 1937. Same thing with the Braves in 1912. Now you can't do anything without being labeled a racist or offending someone to the point that they feel it incumbent upon them to file a lawsuit with the Supreme Court.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Like 503, the sensitivity thing has gone too far!

For the love of god, it's a team name! Back when I was a kid we played "Cowboys and Indians"...

Are the Dallas Cowboys offensive to Cowboys?

It is symbolic of the fight. Toughness.

It's not geared toward name calling.

:grr:

Lesson

Oh, really?

nittany ram said:
I hate them more than any other team too but for me it's all about Pete Carroll.

Same for me as well.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

X said:
Warner4Prez said:
Somebody that wants to be recognized and asked to pose like a fucktard for a picture, I guess.

What was the name of that movie you're quoting, btw? I say that line all the time "Don't be that guy", and I forget the name of the movie from which it came. I can see the scene in my mind, with Jeremy Piven standing there berating the guy for wearing a T-shirt OF the band to the band's concert, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the movie.

Haven't seen Piven in too many movies. It wasn't that 90's movie Judgement Night was it??

EDIT: It was PCU.........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Faceplant said:
X said:
Warner4Prez said:

Haven't seen Piven in too many movies. It wasn't that 90's movie Judgement Night was it??

EDIT: It was PCU.........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU[/youtube]
Ahhhhh.

Thanks!

nittany ram

Rookie

X said:
It's offensive *now*, but racial intolerance wasn't such a pervasive thing back when the club was formed in 1937. Same thing with the Braves in 1912. Now you can't do anything without being labeled a racist or offending someone to the point that they feel it incumbent upon them to file a lawsuit with the Supreme Court.

Well no, I'm sure most white people weren't offended by the term "Redskin" in 1937, but I bet Native Americans were even if they lacked the agency to complain. I'm a middle aged white man. I'm not rich by any means but I still possess a relatively high amount of privilege compared to people of color. Because I'm aware of my privilege I try to be sensitive to what might offend those with less privilege.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

nittany ram said:
X said:

Well no, I'm sure most white people weren't offended by the term "Redskin" in 1937, but I bet Native Americans were even if they lacked the agency to complain. I'm a middle aged white man. I'm not rich by any means but I still possess a relatively high amount of privilege compared to people of color. Because I'm aware of my privilege I try to be sensitive to what might offend those with less privilege.
Well that's cool. I don't think anyone here runs around calling other people derogatory names either. Outside of avoiding exactly that, I tend not to cater to people's sensitivity about every little thing. And sometimes it gets downright annoying how overly sensitive people are nowadays. And if they're offended just enough, go ahead and sue someone. Ridiculous.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
I don't think anyone here runs around calling other people derogatory names either.

Seahawks. :sly:

Tell me you didn't see THAT coming.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamFan503 said:
X said:
I don't think anyone here runs around calling other people derogatory names either.

Yes I did. :razzed:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nittany ram said:
Angry Ram said:

I live in Oklahoma...Indian nation. And my high school is the Redskins. Hasn't been a problem.

Either way, I still think being named after a group of ppl trying to go out and hang i.e. lynch someone is way worse.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Yes I did. :razzed:

Sumpin tells me you knew it would be me sayin it too.

nittany ram

Rookie

Angry Ram said:
Either way, I still think being named after a group of ppl trying to go out and hang i.e. lynch someone is way worse.

Well, being named after a group of people is one thing. The name that's chosen is another.

For example, Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs Notre Dame Drunken Micks. Both are names for a group of people but one is derogatory and based on a stereotype and would be offensive to many people (especially the Irish) and therefore shouldn't be used.

"Redskins" falls into the same category as "Drunken Micks".

But we can agree to disagree. It's cool.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'm sure somewhere out there is a red head saying, "Y'know, we're not all a bunch of angry leprechauns looking for a fight."

notre-dame-fighting-irish-logo.jpeg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nittany ram said:
Angry Ram said:

Well, being named after a group of people is one thing. The name that's chosen is another.

For example, Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs Notre Dame Drunken Micks. Both are names for a group of people but one is derogatory and based on a stereotype and would be offensive to many people (especially the Irish) and therefore shouldn't be used.

"Redskins" falls into the same category as "Drunken Micks".

But we can agree to disagree. It's cool.

Yeah I think we should...otherwise its gonna get more politicy.