Remember this thread in pre-season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, none of US are sitting in the meeting rooms, we don't see how he does or doesn't absorb the information. It has been reported that he has been late for unit meetings. We aren't there for that. But to make evaluations based solely on what we see in games is kind of short sighted.

The other thing, when you say "playing time", I assume you mean carries? Given what has transpired in the past few weeks, he seems to have supplanted Richardson as "the next man up". Richardson has NOT been listed on any injury reports, and yet, has been INACTIVE, while Pead, has been on the ACTIVE game day roster each of those games. He seems to earned enough thrust in the coaching staff to become a core member of the Special Teams, and will continue to "dress" on Sundays.

I, for one, wont be surprised as the season plays out, to see him contribute from the LOS, given Stacy's propensity to get "banged up". Only time will tell.

Just don't get why so many seem to want to bury this guy, and write him off as a "bust". He is a SECOND YEAR player, who admittedly has issues which are keeping him from earning the carries that many FANS think he should be getting based SOLELY on draft position. When, IMO, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a second thought to draft status or contract terms once they step on the field.

I started this thread based on evaluations that included both strengths and weaknesses. All four backs have things that make them effective in unique ways. Isaiah may have the best skill set for third and long. Richardson is just as likely to get three negative yardage plays as he is to rip off a 35 yard run. Stacy and Cunningham will get the tough yards the other two won't. To me, it's a nice problem to have but at least my eyes have yet to see Pead's production or potential. Benny and Zac have won me over since pre-season and nothing has happened to change my mind.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nice O you went through about everything I had to say and I agree,raw talent Pead is the best we have and I'll go further and say that the world if full of talented derelicts,NOT THAT HE IS, but occasionally (Marcus Dupree) you see a raw talent who's head and their desire to be judged on their terms instead of the coaches prevents the coach from trusting them.
I think if there is one thing that has kept Pead from realizing his potential is he hadn't bought in, max has repeatedly intimated it's his head and if it had been up to him we'd have cut Pead already IMO.
I think that corner may be turned or he may just be shining the coaches on, but if he buys in I think he moves to the head of the class

CoachO

Hall of Fame

This commentary sounds typical of someone who BLAMES the player for where he was drafted. For you to say he is a "screw up waiting to happen"?, because you don't like him? Got it!

You claim he "joined the Rams as the de facto heir apparent to Jackson", yet, I have never once heard anyone from the organization make that claim. hat you say he's "now up against a 7th round pick", well, as I have posted here a few times, that just tells me you either aren't paying attention, or don't want to.

And what in the world are you talking about, he "might get some work, but only because Clemens or Davis would be expendable? Pead has never had an issue with missing assignments. In fact, he is the BEST pass blocker of ALL the RBs. So that comment just further proves your agenda regarding YOUR dislike for him.

You don't like him. Fine. But making stuff up to try to state your case should be left for another forum.

PhxRam

This commentary sounds typical of someone who BLAMES the player for where he was drafted. For you to say he is a "screw up waiting to happen"?, because you don't like him? Got it!

You claim he "joined the Rams as the de facto heir apparent to Jackson", yet, I have never once heard anyone from the organization make that claim. hat you say he's "now up against a 7th round pick", well, as I have posted here a few times, that just tells me you either aren't paying attention, or don't want to.

And what in the world are you talking about, he "might get some work, but only because Clemens or Davis would be expendable? Pead has never had an issue with missing assignments. In fact, he is the BEST pass blocker of ALL the RBs. So that comment just further proves your agenda regarding YOUR dislike for him.

You don't like him. Fine. But making stuff up to try to state your case should be left for another forum.

Just to be clear, just because someone doesn't agree with you,that doesn't mean they hate a player.

That is twice now you have accused someone of hating a player and they never said that.

Chill...

You are entitled to your opinion and so is others.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Well, is obvious we disagree on what the future lies for this kid. I see the promise, and I will continue to believe that Fisher does too. You call it being a screw up, and I am not going to change your mind. But if this staff truly believed he was not worth the time and effort to talent, its clear he would be gone.

Ask Rok Watkins. Fisher has a history of being patient with players he thinks will "get it". The bottom line, for me, is Pead had the most upside, and as for as him "screwing up" every time is maybe a slight exaggeration. And to say you wouldn't TRUST him with Bradford's health, we will just agree to disagree. Pead's biggest "screw up" IMO, is not seizing the opportunity when given the ball from scrimmage. Admittedly, he has been tentative, or seemed to be pressing to make the big play rather than taking what he could get.

But to write him off, like so many seem to be doing, is a mistake, that apparently, the coaching staff agrees with.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
where he is drafted does have something to do with player assessment, just does. Pead though at any draft position has been ineffective, the longer he stays in the background the least likely he will ever contribute. It is rare to float around the bottom of the rb depth chart without eventually finding yourself on another team until you are no longer employed. Especially with the opportunities that he has been afforded.
JMO

xander47

Rookie
For his draft position, and how RBs are really easy to learn already argument: Knowshon Moreno (1st round, probably his first productive year that he lived up to a first round draft pick)

I personally think Pead fits best in a Bradford spread offense and am holding out hope everything will fall into place next year.

If Stacy is like Gore, then they'll only really succeed in eye formation with a fullback/half back lead blocking scheme. Gore has never done well in a single back set, and (I'm from the west coast) it's really hampered what they're trying to do with Kaep and the high octane offense single back sets. It makes them one dimensional.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Im going to be the odd ball here and throw some love out to Richardson. I dont think hes the teams best back by any means, but im comfertable with him as the third change of pace guy.

As for as the wholPead debate goes. He has to produce just like everyone else.

I would stick with this core group of guys and invest the draft picks elsewhere. Like the o-line

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
OK there IS a relevance to where Pead was drafted, but not a a damning factor.
Here we sit in a thread started to evaluate the backs turning into a fairly heated discussion of our acumen as evaluators of these backs and consider the work of trained professionals ,paid to evaluate talent at this level who's input we have IN WHERE they drafted them as a negative?
I say it's a point in Peads favor in deed the people who were spending the money thought he was worth MORE cuz they paid him more, NOW is his attitude "I was drafted higher so I SHOULD be given the job" vs. Stacy/Cunningham/Richardson"s attitudes " I was drafted low/ undrafted" and thereby they have worked harder and shown a more professional attitude, I'd bet it is .

I think Pead is on a good day for any of them exactly what the scouts who were paid to scout them all thought he was , I think he will be gone before next year if his head isn't where Fish wants it, but if his head is right I think we have three keepers and DRich will be replaced by big back.
I will say though I think whether we cut DRich or Pead either will make another team and will contribute.

TexasRam

Legend
1 Sample Size too small to make grades like this.

2 Cumulitive score weight is flawed. This offense needs to weigh a between the tackles runner more than it weighs a pass catching RB or long speed or versatility etc. Stacy and Bam are much more valuable to this offense because they do well what this offense needs and requires of the RB 90% of the time.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
1 Sample Size too small to make grades like this.

2 Cumulitive score weight is flawed. This offense needs to weigh a between the tackles runner more than it weighs a pass catching RB or long speed or versatility etc. Stacy and Bam are much more valuable to this offense because they do well what this offense needs and requires of the RB 90% of the time.
The sample size was much smaller at the beginning of the season when I made it and yet the flawed formula suggested Stacy and Cunningham were the best backs before the season started and most here preferred Pead and Richardson.

Just sayin

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

I evaluate based on what I see as particular skill sets including college tape. Again, I developed an arbitrary system here and it sure seems three months later to be somewhat prophetic. You can see the thread from this board somewhere around page 101.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
For his draft position, and how RBs are really easy to learn already argument: Knowshon Moreno (1st round, probably his first productive year that he lived up to a first round draft pick)

I personally think Pead fits best in a Bradford spread offense and am holding out hope everything will fall into place next year.

If Stacy is like Gore, then they'll only really succeed in eye formation with a fullback/half back lead blocking scheme. Gore has never done well in a single back set, and (I'm from the west coast) it's really hampered what they're trying to do with Kaep and the high octane offense single back sets. It makes them one dimensional.
You make some excellent points!

There's no doubt about it in my mind that Stacy and Cunningham have certainly benefitted more from fullback or halfback sets. I think they've also benefitted from multiple tight end sets in the run game as well, and for that matter throwing Austin in the mix on end-arounds to mix things up.

I don't know if I would compare Stacy to Gore in terms of style though, maybe Cunningham fits that more, not in terms of talent but with the way he runs ? Anyway, I really think that Stacy has shown different techniques for breaking tackles at the line and the line backers, it's just impressive! That said, Cunningham may be the best we have at timing the holes and IMO may be the best we have to play with a fullback.

Off topic from what you said, but I also think Richardson may be the best change of pace back on the roster. If he worked on his timing more he'd be a nightmare so long as the o line does their job. Anyway, he's still out with an injured foot right?

People are so down on Pead, but I was relieved to know that with Richardson injured and Stacy went down that we still had Pead to back up Cunningham. As much as this team likes to rush, having four capable backs is a nice problem to have and I don't see anyone being cut next year unless they don't give Fisher what he wants.