Remember this thread in pre-season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Running Back Evaluation Aug 25, 2013

This year the Rams will go with a running back by committee approach. I'm curious how much of what I see is shared by my fellow fans. The following is my evaluation of where each rank in the following catagories.

Long speed: 1 Richardson 2 Pead 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Quickness: 1 Pead 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Ability between the tackles: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Yardage after contact: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Pead
Pass Pro: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Versatiltiy: 1 Cunningham 2 Pead 3 Stacy 4 Richardson
Experience: 1 Richardson 2 Pead 3 Stacy 4 Cunningham
Hole recognition: 1 Cunningham 2 Stacy 3 Richardson 4 Pead
Receiving: 1 Richardson 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Stacy
Ball security: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Pead

Interestingly, in a cumulative score, I get the following numbers:
Cunningham 22, Stacy 24, Richardson 26, Pead 28

I'm not sure what it all means but I'm willing to bet I'll get a few people to sharpen my thinking on the matter.

leoram, Aug 25, 2013

Who says there's nothing to learn in pre-season? I'm not saying I was right about everything, but my insight looks far more solid today than it did back then.

PhxRam

Curious how you got Cunningham at number 2 in ball security. Didn't he have a few fumbles in preseason?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remembered it and I agreed with most of it. I thought Cunningham was the best back followed by Richardson though. After watching how Richardson couldn't find a hole, even if he was at an orgy, in the first few games made me quickly realize that he was not the answer.

I still wonder about Pead. The Rams really worked him in Spring training, according to the camp reports. It seemed that he was destined to be more of a cog in this machine. Why waste the time on him in camp if they wont give him touches?

Either way I couldn't be happier with the current situation. The Rams have a good running game. I thought they would sorely miss Steven Jackson, especially in pass pro. They seemed to early on but I think Stacy and Cunningham are better running backs than SJ currently is and it was a very good decision to move on. Ironically the guys they had on the roster when they made that decision were not good enough to replace him. The Rams are finally getting some good fortune going their way.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Running Back Evaluation Aug 25, 2013

I'm not sure what it all means but I'm willing to bet I'll get a few people to sharpen my thinking on the matter.

leoram, Aug 25, 2013

Who says there's nothing to learn in pre-season? I'm not saying I was right about everything, but my insight looks far more solid today than it did back then.

Based on YOUR categories, here is my subjective "grading"
Long speed: 1 Pead 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Yardage after contact: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Pass Pro: 1 Pead 2 Stacy 3 Cunningham 4 Richardson
Receiving: 1 Pead 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Stacy
Ball security: 1 Stacy 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Pead
Pead 22, Cunningham 24, Stacy 25, Richardson 29

I think this is an interesting look at the RB corp, and while the scores are subjective, I don't necessarily think they portray the complete picture of which RB in "better", or which one is deserving of playing time.

As far as the coaching staff making early decisions, in this case, in training camp, and early games in the regular season, I think its pretty clear it was more about going with the experience, than it was about "talent".

PhxRam

Where are all these high grades for Pead coming from?

The 2 rookie RBs already have more NFL game experience than Pead in his 2nd year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
these are grades based on where they were going into the season and based on what was displayed in training camp. And for me, it was what I witnessed EVERYDAY at training camp.

Like I said, the individual categories are subjective, and IMO, aren't necessarily an indicator of who "deserves" to be playing. Skillsets are what they are. The thing that cannot be measured are the intangibles that each bring to their game.

Be it before the season or NOW, I still maintain Pead is the "most talented" of all of these RBs. Obviously, that doesn't mean he's the most deserving of playing time.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
At least Pead has finally scored in a regular season game! Hope he gets the chance to show us what he's got this year! Hate to think he's a wasted draft pick!

PhxRam

these are grades based on where they were going into the season and based on what was displayed in training camp. And for me, it was what I witnessed EVERYDAY at training camp.

Like I said, the individual categories are subjective, and IMO, aren't necessarily an indicator of who "deserves" to be playing. Skillsets are what they are. The thing that cannot be measured are the intangibles that each bring to their game.

Be it before the season or NOW, I still maintain Pead is the "most talented" of all of these RBs. Obviously, that doesn't mean he's the most deserving of playing time.

And reports where that Sasha Vujacic was unstoppable during practice. Never missed.

Some guys are practice players and some are gamers.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
this
And reports where that Sasha Vujacic was unstoppable during practice. Never missed.

Some guys are practice players and some are gamers.

You are misinterpreting my comments. I will not speak for the OP, but I am "evaluating" these players on the categories of SKILLSET. While the ratings are subjective, I don't think its that difficult to "rate" players on things such as Speed, quickness, pass protection, etc.

Just because one player is more skilled than another, doesn't mean that player is more productive. So please spare me your sarcasm, I get it, you don't like Pead. Get in line. But to say he is NOT talented would be very naĂŻve IMO.

PhxRam

What the heck are you talking about?

Sarcasm? You said he was the best RB in camp. I merely stated some are good practice players and some are not.

And show me where in any of my posts I said that I dislike Pead.

I will wait for you.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Based on YOUR categories, here is my subjective "grading"
Long speed: 1 Pead 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Stacy
Yardage after contact: 1 Stacy 2 Cunningham 3 Pead 4 Richardson
Pass Pro: 1 Pead 2 Stacy 3 Cunningham 4 Richardson
Receiving: 1 Pead 2 Cunningham 3 Richardson 4 Stacy
Ball security: 1 Stacy 2 Richardson 3 Cunningham 4 Pead
Pead 22, Cunningham 24, Stacy 25, Richardson 29

I think this is an interesting look at the RB corp, and while the scores are subjective, I don't necessarily think they portray the complete picture of which RB in "better", or which one is deserving of playing time.

As far as the coaching staff making early decisions, in this case, in training camp, and early games in the regular season, I think its pretty clear it was more about going with the experience, than it was about "talent".

Thanks for the input. We differ most about receiving and pass pro. I know Pead puts himself in position to pass protect, but he's too light in the seat and is easily bulled. Your evaluation of pass efficiency is probably better than mine since the staff chose Pead to receive the two point conversion.

If I could give extra credit for hole recognition and yards after contact, I would in terms of overall effectiveness. That's ultimately why I believe Stacy and Cunningham will get the heaviest loads while Pead and Richardson will see spot duty going forward.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What the heck are you talking about?

Sarcasm? You said he was the best RB in camp. I merely stated some are good practice players and some are not.

And show me where in any of my posts I said that I dislike Pead.

I will wait for you.

If I misinterpreted YOUR post, then I apologize. My point, is that this is NOT about being a practice player vs. a "gamer". At least for me, with regards to this OP, it was about me ranking the FOUR RBs on this roster, against one another, in selective categories created by the OP.

So yes, as to that criteria, I still maintain Pead is the most "skilled" when compared to the other 3 RBs. Again, that has NOTHING to do with production, or how he practices.

What it says to me..... he is the quickest, fastest, most explosive, catches the ball better, and pass blocks better than the other 3. But obviously, that doesn't translate into him being the MOST productive in this offensive scheme.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the input. We differ most about receiving and pass pro. I know Pead puts himself in position to pass protect, but he's too light in the seat and is easily bulled. Your evaluation of pass efficiency is probably better than mine since the staff chose Pead to receive the two point conversion.

If I could give extra credit for hole recognition and yards after contact, I would in terms of overall effectiveness. That's ultimately why I believe Stacy and Cunningham will get the heaviest loads while Pead and Richardson will see spot duty going forward.

We do disagree on the pass pro category. Pead is the only RB among this group who ATTACKS oncoming pass rushers, and has shown the ability to literally stop them in their tracks. Go back and watch the preseason games. He pancaked a blitzing LB in the Cleveland game I believe. Again, I am basing my evaluations not only on what I saw in live action, but I had the benefit of seeing these guys in the drills day in and day out throughout training camp.

Marshall Faulk was never going ot be mistaken for a "big" RB, but suffice to say, he was very good in pass protection.

PhxRam

We do disagree on the pass pro category. Pead is the only RB among this group who ATTACKS oncoming pass rushers, and has shown the ability to literally stop them in their tracks. Go back and watch the preseason games. He pancaked a blitzing LB in the Cleveland game I believe. Again, I am basing my evaluations not only on what I saw in live action, but I had the benefit of seeing these guys in the drills day in and day out throughout training camp.

Marshall Faulk was never going ot be mistaken for a "big" RB, but suffice to say, he was very good in pass protection.

I seriously would like to know why this hasn't translated on the field?

If he is the most talented of all the backs, why has he been riding the pine?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
So why doesn't Pead get any playing time then?

The coaches were their for all those drills too and yet Pead still doesn't make the field.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So why doesn't Pead get any playing time then?

The coaches were their for all those drills too and yet Pead still doesn't make the field.

Well, none of US are sitting in the meeting rooms, we don't see how he does or doesn't absorb the information. It has been reported that he has been late for unit meetings. We aren't there for that. But to make evaluations based solely on what we see in games is kind of short sighted.

The other thing, when you say "playing time", I assume you mean carries? Given what has transpired in the past few weeks, he seems to have supplanted Richardson as "the next man up". Richardson has NOT been listed on any injury reports, and yet, has been INACTIVE, while Pead, has been on the ACTIVE game day roster each of those games. He seems to earned enough thrust in the coaching staff to become a core member of the Special Teams, and will continue to "dress" on Sundays.

I, for one, wont be surprised as the season plays out, to see him contribute from the LOS, given Stacy's propensity to get "banged up". Only time will tell.

Just don't get why so many seem to want to bury this guy, and write him off as a "bust". He is a SECOND YEAR player, who admittedly has issues which are keeping him from earning the carries that many FANS think he should be getting based SOLELY on draft position. When, IMO, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a second thought to draft status or contract terms once they step on the field.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't want to write him off as a bust. I want to see him get a chance to play.

I don't feel like he's been given much of a chance.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't want to write him off as a bust. I want to see him get a chance to play.

I don't feel like he's been given much of a chance.

I agree, and there has to be a reason none of us are aware of. I am encouraged by the fact that he is working his way back on the field, albeit in a limited role. HE is becoming a pretty good cover guy on special teams, and like Bailey, that will ensure his being active on Sunday.

PhxRam

Well Rb is probably one of the easier positions for a rookie to step in and contibute right away.

If he doesnt get it after his second season, he never may

jap

Legend
I will suggest that early on (circa 2012 to early 2013), Isaiah did not appear to take special teams duty very seriously, and that may have led to his frequent INACTIVE status. (This outside of other issues like the alleged missing of meetings or other things that were not reported in any official capacity to my knowledge and which I know nothing about.) However, lately Fish has praised him for his work on special teams. For instance, he was the gunner we saw in the video frame when Tavon fielded the ball for that 98-yard punt return. Incidentally, Fish pointed out Pead played that wrong---he should have stayed out of bounds rather than risk having the ball bounce and hit him in the end zone---however he loved his effort. If Isaiah normally had an attitude about failing to make the starting roster and was dogging it early on, only to grow up lately after he realized that Fish rewards workers, regardless of where they were originally drafted, we may get to see a focused Isaiah finally.