Redskins and Cousins have broken off contact talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
Skins finally have a QB who seems competent, but he probably knows Rg3 is out and he has them by the balls.

Will be interesting to see if they end up caving and paying him in the range of the top guys or let him walk. At 21 they wont likely get a QB outside of another Michigan State guy in Cook

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

giphy.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Their owner wont let him go. But, damn, if they did let him test the waters it would be ground breaking on Snyders part. If Qb value wasn't so high in general and they weren't so tough to find, I would say let him field offers and see what he gets.

His success has been over a season plus. How do you fairly value that? He probably wants the going rate and the Skins probably want to see more, but damn he had a 69% completion rate. 29 Tds, 11 ints and a 101 QBR. That is pretty damn good. I would take that in a heartbeat. But he has only started one full season. Gruden is the coach and supposedly good with QBs too. So is it more the system or more Cousins?

I think I would franchise him too. That way they can see if he will repeat or improve, or decline on his numbers last year. Trouble with that is, he will be getting some big bucks being franchised and most people don't start talking pay cut when negotiating a new contract.

One interesting fact is that the Cap is expanding, which usually means the pay scale rises. Maybe they would be smart to pay him now before that happens.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The guy was a QB stud last year. He has them over a barrel.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
After watching Cousins in college over his career and watching Connor Cook, I believe that they are similar in ways when it comes to their development. I think Cook could eventually be similar to Cousins with the right situation.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I suspect that they'll tag him to ensure that they can force the negotiation to happen. If they have to pay him the going rate for one year, so be it. If he tanks, they avoided a costly mistake long term. If he plays up to it, they'll already be paying the going rate for his services and it won't be too difficult to work out a long term deal under the cap.

Bottom line is this: Washington only needs to look at LA. If Los Angeles had a QB as competent as Cousins all of last year, they are likely at least a 10 win team and in the playoffs, maybe deep in the playoffs. And that's with plenty of defensive injuries and a rookie OL and rookie RB.

The demand for someone of Cousins caliber isn't strong... it's overpowering. If the market gets a chance to grab him, they will. If the market gets a chance to set a price for him, they'll jack it to the moon because teams without a QB KNOW what it means to be without one.

We certainly do...

Ram65

Legend
One good season can get you 100 Million. It's crazy. I would like to see more too. Skins had a nice run game to help him. I guess they don't have a choice.

~lyser

Rookie
Such a risk - see Nick Foles single PB, record breaking season under Chip Kelly. See Nick Foles throwing limp rainbows all over the field last season. Cuz has not proven shit to me...last season COULD have been a fluke. He certainly has the Washington Racists by the short hairs tho - doesn't he? Good for him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They would be smart to tag him and see how he does for another year.

But this is Dan Snyder's team, and if it turns into a battle of egos, smart could go out the window.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/16/kirk-cousins-washington-contract-peyton-manning-allegations-nfl

Worry Free Washington
Relax, Washington Redskins fans. News that contract talks have ceased between Kirk Cousins and the team is not foreboding.
By Peter King

mmqb-cousins-kirk-contract.jpg

Tom Pennington/Getty Images

If I were a fan of the NFC East champions, I wouldn’t be concerned about the quarterback walking out the door. At all.

Kirk Cousins is the long-term quarterback in Washington, and general manager Scot McCloughan is too smart to let him walk out the door. Redskins coach Jay Gruden is too enamored of Cousins to let him walk out the door. And Dan Snyder would blast into orbit if the franchise quarterback he once thought was Robert Griffin III but now knows is Cousins, walked out the door. So Cousins is not walking out the door in Washington.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported Tuesday that the team and Cousins have broken off contract talks on a long-term deal for the looming free-agent quarterback. That’s significant only if you care how much money Cousins will make in 2016—but not if you only want to be sure he’ll be the Redskin’s quarterback. And barring some extraordinary change of heart by an entire front office and coaching staff that loves the guy, Cousins will be in Washington for the foreseeable future.

The fact that news appears from a reliable reporter four weeks to the day before the market opens says to me that the team is sending the message that if Cousins is serious about getting a long-term deal, he’d better tone down his salary demands. Whether he does or doesn’t just isn’t that big a deal. If he doesn’t, Washington likely will place the franchise tag on him (about $19.7 million) and Cousins will play for his future again in 2016.

There is nothing not to like about Cousins. He’s altar-boy nice, Derek Jeter-like in his work ethic and studies the game with a passion that fits Gruden’s style. It would fit with any coach. Then the performance caught up with all the other positives in the last 10 weeks of the regular season. Cousins quarterbacked the Redskins to a 7-3 record, with 23 touchdown passes and three interceptions; his passer rating was above 100 in eight of the 10 games.

Gruden’s gamble in naming Cousins the quarterback for the full season on Labor Day paid off handsomely. And it will pay off for Cousins—either with a new contract or with a $19.7-million payday for the 2016 season alone—at some point. The Washington brass is too smart to mess this one up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's a nugget of some serious NFL wisdom!:bow:
That rang a B E L L in my very small brain cell...........

But what about the "We have plenty of Cap Space today ....So just pay the man" ...Crowd?

Last edited: