Rebuilding the Rebuild

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
From the way Fisher was talking in conference he really likes Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I am of the opinion that we need to build an Oline at the very least around a QB before taking one very high. The line just has to be fixed. It is too important to a QBs success. Build a good team that can support a QB first. Look at Alex Smith. Since 2011 he is 34-12-1 as a starter. Finally got a good team around him and good coaching and look what he has done. Carson Palmer was an afterthought at the end of his Raider tenure. I'm sure most of us were just thrilled he was coming here as we thought he was washed up and that we were going to beat him in the ground with our Dline. Look at what he's doing with a team around him and good coaching. The Rams Oline has not been stable since Warner left. It's time to finally get it fixed. Get some young lineman in here. No more late round projects. No more free agents who have injury issues. Then have Davis, Hill, Gilbert, rookie qb (if drafted) and Bradford (if re-signed) battle it out next offseason for the starting role.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
With all of the injuries and the massive overhaul the o-line will likely encounter, changing QB's(again) doesn't sound too appealing. Of course, the team may be in need of a total overhaul on offense so perhaps a new QB and some growing pains is the only option. I mean, if they(hopefully) get rid of Schottenheimer, replace 3/5 of the o-line and Britt doesn't re-sign, the offense is going to essentially be all new. Perfect time to get a new QB I suppose but I think Bradford can adapt to a new system but moving forward with him is a huge risk.

God, 2015 is shaping up to be as shaky as 2014.

I don't hate Schotty, and I don't pin all of the offensive problems we have on him ... but gawd, I'd really like to get another coordinator in here, someone with a little more imagination who could figure out how to use Tavon Austin as the weapon he could truly be. Schotty isn't terrible, but it's just a situation where I feel the Rams could do so much better with the talent they have, at least when all or most of it is healthy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't hate Schotty, and I don't pin all of the offensive problems we have on him ... but gawd, I'd really like to get another coordinator in here, someone with a little more imagination who could figure out how to use Tavon Austin as the weapon he could truly be. Schotty isn't terrible, but it's just a situation where I feel the Rams could do so much better with the talent they have, at least when all or most of it is healthy.

Problem I'm not sure Fisher can hire the right offensive coordinator. History shows us, he never has!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as I'm concerned - the top 3 needs are:

QB
Guard
Center
Right Tackle
WR - Opposite Quick
OLB

My philosophy continues to be BPA at a position of need.

If we are in a position to draft a franchise QB (Mariotta or Winston) - then you pull the trigger. I know Winston is polarizing, but the kid can play. After those two - I can't say that I would pass on a guy like Amari Cooper simply because QB is a bigger need than WR.

Assuming the Rams drop some of the heavy payroll and free up some cap space - I still like the philosophy of going for one Ferrari free agent over going for 3 Hondas. It didn't pan out with Jake Long, but that doesn't mean that the concept isn't solid.

Mike Iupati, for instance - would be such a Ferrari in free agency.

WR2 spot - frankly, I'm fine with giving Britt another prove it contract - or even a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate. He isn't a #1, and shouldn't be paid like one, but he fits here. The free agent class at WR is loaded so I doubt Britt will be heavily pursued elsewhere.

RT is Barksdales if he is willing to stay- and I'd be willing to go with a longer term deal on him. Not much more to get excited about in free agency

Center is a lot tougher to fill. Look at the difference a guy like Mack makes in Cleveland. With him - they are running all over everyone and without him, they can't move the ball much at all. Can Jones be the guy? I'd give him the rest of 2014 as a nice long audition. Unless he is the guy, its probably time to spend a day 2 pick on a shiny new one.

At QB - if we miss out on a new face of the franchise, I can live with going into 2015 with Bradford and Davis.

OLB - I wonder if we could be a team what Sean Weatherspoon would want to take a 'prove it' contract with .... Or maybe we try to steal KJ Wright away from the Seahawks.

AZRamsFan93

I am of the opinion that we need to build an Oline at the very least around a QB before taking one very high. The line just has to be fixed. It is too important to a QBs success. Build a good team that can support a QB first. Look at Alex Smith. Since 2011 he is 34-12-1 as a starter. Finally got a good team around him and good coaching and look what he has done. Carson Palmer was an afterthought at the end of his Raider tenure. I'm sure most of us were just thrilled he was coming here as we thought he was washed up and that we were going to beat him in the ground with our Dline. Look at what he's doing with a team around him and good coaching. The Rams Oline has not been stable since Warner left. It's time to finally get it fixed. Get some young lineman in here. No more late round projects. No more free agents who have injury issues. Then have Davis, Hill, Gilbert, rookie qb (if drafted) and Bradford (if re-signed) battle it out next offseason for the starting role.
Did you see the Dallas/Washington game last night? Without question the Cowboys have one of the best lines in the NFL. Bottom line: defenses can and will GET THE QB regardless how good an O-line the team has assembled. Yes - we need to build the O-line, but for this team to have tunnel vision on improving only one aspect of the offense would be foolish IMHO. We need O-line AND a mobile QB that extend plays and make plays running the ball. QB running forces defenses to play zone rather than man to man and opens up the underneath passing game. Draft Mariota, O-line, and linebackers!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I really do believe there is talent on the offense that isn't ever going to be used with Schottenheimer. I really don't think Shcottenheimer is a bad OC, I just don't think his style is suited to utilize some of the biggest talents we have.

This is a really hyped up coaching staff that has been pretty average in their three year career here...I think they need to really be questioned in the near future.