Rebuilding the Rebuild

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Now what?

The Rams list of needs as I see it:

QB - maybe Sam can come back, maybe Austin Davis can be a legit starter - but for right now, maybe is a hard pill to swallow.

WR - Quick will be back, Britt is a free agent, Tavon and Stedman - well, I guess we will see there.

OL - We have 2/5 spots secured (kind of) Greg Robinson is the LT - the hardest position to fill. Saffold is a great guard and a decent option at tackle but man-o-man can this dude stay on the field? Barret Jones may be the center (or guard) of the future - but there is that maybe word again - and its a much weaker maybe this time. I know Joe had a rough outing on Sunday, but I would make resigning him a major priority.

TE - We are paying top dollar for Cook - and he hasn't been awful, but he isn't much of a value either. Kenricks hits FA pretty soon - he is worth keeping around if the price is right.

RB - We are all set at RB.

DL - We have Quinn locked up, hopefully Long returns to form. Sims is a keeper and Westbrooks is certainly worth keeping around. Not sure how much Hayes has left but he has been better recently as he seems to be getting healthy. I think Carrington has been decent - but in a 'prove it' deal - he doesn't look like the kind of guy I want to throw big money at. Donald and Brockers are the mainstay at DT - Langford probably gets to play out his last year next season as well. All in all - the DL is still the strength of this team.

LB - Ogletree gets a few more years to try and put it all together. JL55 hasn't been incredible, but his contract was structured to make him much more affordable in the coming years than he was this year. We need a third linebacker badly and we need better play out of our two 'keepers'

DB - Surprisingly, we look pretty good at corner. I know that Gaines had a few bad moments, but he has played all season long like a day 2 selection, Joyner is coming on a bit, and Roberson even looked the part. Add Tru and JJ to that group and we are all set at CB. At safety, TJ has had an up and down season but is certainly a keeper. McCleod has his moments. I'm excited to see what Alexander can do when he gets his chance. I feel like we could still use that ballhawk back there but who couldn't? There are only a handful of those elite centerfield safeties in the league. I still have hope that Christian Bryant will contribute on the back end.

So - moving forward - the offense needs a lot more attention than the defense. The O Line, an outside WR, and (gulp) a QB.

We look like the kind of team that will be getting a premium draft pick in 2015 - sad but true. Do we HAVE to spend it on a QB? Or can we snag Cooper or White and roll the dice with Sam again?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
QB, OL, OL, OL, LB'er...

FA-

LB'er
C
LG
WR

Cut Bradford, Wells, Dunbar (Or lower contract), Jake Long.

Then we can start to another year where we have to be patient and hope for the best.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not sure how much cap savings we get by cutting Jake Long after this season, but would have to believe it will be several million. I can't see us keeping Bradford at his current cap number, so either we get the full amount back if we cut him or if he restructures/signs at a reduced rate, we should get significant cap savings there. Wells has got to be gone too, he sucks and he's way to expensive for the level of production, so that's more cap savings.

We should have more money to be active in free agency next offseason. Spend smartly.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm not sure how much cap savings we get by cutting Jake Long after this season, but would have to believe it will be several million. I can't see us keeping Bradford at his current cap number, so either we get the full amount back if we cut him or if he restructures/signs at a reduced rate, we should get significant cap savings there. Wells has got to be gone too, he sucks and he's way to expensive for the level of production, so that's more cap savings.

We should have more money to be active in free agency next offseason. Spend smartly.
With all of the injuries and the massive overhaul the o-line will likely encounter, changing QB's(again) doesn't sound too appealing. Of course, the team may be in need of a total overhaul on offense so perhaps a new QB and some growing pains is the only option. I mean, if they(hopefully) get rid of Schottenheimer, replace 3/5 of the o-line and Britt doesn't re-sign, the offense is going to essentially be all new. Perfect time to get a new QB I suppose but I think Bradford can adapt to a new system but moving forward with him is a huge risk.

God, 2015 is shaping up to be as shaky as 2014.

AZRamsFan93

With all of the injuries and the massive overhaul the o-line will likely encounter, changing QB's(again) doesn't sound too appealing. Of course, the team may be in need of a total overhaul on offense so perhaps a new QB and some growing pains is the only option. I mean, if they(hopefully) get rid of Schottenheimer, replace 3/5 of the o-line and Britt doesn't re-sign, the offense is going to essentially be all new. Perfect time to get a new QB I suppose but I think Bradford can adapt to a new system but moving forward with him is a huge risk.

God, 2015 is shaping up to be as shaky as 2014.
2015 may be rough. I hope we get a QB that can buy time and make plays with his feet as needed - yet still has the ability to throw into tight windows. Mariota, Hundley both look good to me.

A55VA6

Legend
QB, OL, OL, OL, LB'er...

FA-

LB'er
C
LG
WR

Cut Bradford, Wells, Dunbar (Or lower contract), Jake Long.

Then we can start to another year where we have to be patient and hope for the best.
I say keep dunbar, but agree with pretty much the rest. I'd like to keep Sam, but the cap hit is too much for a guy that doesn't play.

moklerman

Warner-phile
2015 may be rough. I hope we get a QB that can buy time and make plays with his feet as needed - yet still has the ability to throw into tight windows. Mariota, Hundley both look good to me.
I completely understand why you feel that way but taking a QB that isn't Elway, Luck, Peyton type of prospect good is just going to result in more delayed development of the team. Mariota, Hundley, Winston, etc. are not guys to start with and then build around. None of them are even as good of a prospect as Bradford was and we all see how much of a cart before the horse situation that's turned into.

We'll likely have a top 10 pick the way things look and trading down and taking as many quality lineman or defenders as possible seems like the best approach. QB, WR, RB...all off the table as far as I'm concerned. Unless they are a blue-chipper which I don't see in this upcoming draft.

O-line continuity and poorly matched/poorly called offense are the biggest culprits on offense right now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
QB
C/OG
MLB
FS
DT
K

Nothing that can't be done in a single off-season thru free agency & the draft. CAP casualty cuts: Bradford, Wells, JLong & Langford. Re-sign Bradford at a much reduced rate for 2 years & move Laurinaitis outside. I'd prefer using free agency for the MLB, FS & DT, ... the draft for QB, C/OG & K. jmo.

AZRamsFan93

I completely understand why you feel that way but taking a QB that isn't Elway, Luck, Peyton type of prospect good is just going to result in more delayed development of the team. Mariota, Hundley, Winston, etc. are not guys to start with and then build around. None of them are even as good of a prospect as Bradford was and we all see how much of a cart before the horse situation that's turned into.

We'll likely have a top 10 pick the way things look and trading down and taking as many quality lineman or defenders as possible seems like the best approach. QB, WR, RB...all off the table as far as I'm concerned. Unless they are a blue-chipper which I don't see in this upcoming draft.

O-line continuity and poorly matched/poorly called offense are the biggest culprits on offense right now.
We need somebody to play QB. I predict that the Rams will take a QB in the first round of next year's draft.

moklerman

Warner-phile
We need somebody to play QB. I predict that the Rams will take a QB in the first round of next year's draft.
You may be right but I think that would be a mistake. Going back 10 years, it's hard not to see the long odds against 1st round QB's becoming reliable starters, much less excelling. EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman.

Of the names left that aren't busts, Cutler and Smith aren't with their original teams and Luck, Ryan, Flacco, Rodgers, Rivers and Roethlisberger went to relatively good teams and Rodgers sat for 3 years before playing. Guys who play right away, especially for rebuilding/bad teams have a tough row to hoe.

Irish

Starter

If they are bolded, they either need to get cut after this year or not resigned after their contracts are up. The linebackers have failed, the OL has failed, and no (good) NFL roster has an empty spot for a QB who simply cannot stay on the field.

AZRamsFan93

You may be right but I think that would be a mistake. Going back 10 years, it's hard not to see the long odds against 1st round QB's becoming reliable starters, much less excelling. EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman.

Of the names left that aren't busts, Cutler and Smith aren't with their original teams and Luck, Ryan, Flacco, Rodgers, Rivers and Roethlisberger went to relatively good teams and Rodgers sat for 3 years before playing. Guys who play right away, especially for rebuilding/bad teams have a tough row to hoe.
I understand your concern and agree with your observations, however, something must be done. Doing nothing won't help either. I say draft one of the young QBs and have him compete with what we already have - maybe he sits for a year or 2, and maybe we end up trading him away - but I think we have to try.

AZRamsFan93

I also think that our roster is far better today than what was there when Bradford was drafted.

jjab360

Legend

Tannehill's not a bust... yet. And RG3's story isn't finished... probably.

Anyway, the odds of a first round QB being a franchise player are about the same odds as any other position and a heck of a lot higher than a QB taken in any other round, so I don't really see your point.

V3

Hall of Fame
QB
OL
MLB- Sorry, JL isn't very good anymore. I'm not even sure how well he'd fare at OLB
OLB
Slot CB- move Joyner to FS. Perhaps move Jenkins to slot and just find a better outside CB.
WR

V3

Hall of Fame

You have to take a franchise QB when you have the chance. If you think the success rate for QB's in the first round is bad, you should look at the success rate of QB's taken after the first round. It's horrible. If you don't have weapons or an O-line, then sit the QB until you fix them. It's much easier to fix those than it is to find an elite QB prospect.