(Re)grading the 2023 offseason “purge” moves.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We’ve now reached a point where we can have a meaningful (re)evaluation of the “purge” moves the Rams made during the 2023 offseason. As a whole, it’s the moves have obviously worked out very well. As individuals (or position-based) decisions, I’m going to assign one of three ratings to each:

V – validated. Decisions that, in hindsight, look like very smart.
M – mixed bag. Decisions that could still go either way.
R – regretful. Decisions we wish we had not made.

Odell Beckham, Jr. (did not re-sign) – V
The Rams declined to pay the market price (he received a 1 year, $15M contract) to bring back OBJ. While he’s had his moments (against us, unfortunately), his overall production (35 receptions, 565 yards, 3 TDs) has not warranted that price tag. Instead, we found a nice alternative in the 5th round of the draft!

Jalen Ramsey (traded) – M
This one has a lot of factors. On the plus side, the Rams got out from his contract (which he subsequently renegotiated with Miami), and got a nice return on the trade by drafting Byron Young. On the minus side, Ramsey’s absence has definitely been felt, notwithstanding the bargain value acquisition of Ahkello Witherspoon. I think, in the long run, this could become a “V,” but I’ll put it as a hit and miss move at this stage.

Bobby Wagner (released) – M
We arguably could have afforded one more year with Wagner, and he’s still playing a Pro Bowl level. I do think the defense would have been a bit stronger this year with Wagner and Ernest Jones playing together, but the flip side it that Wagner’s presence may have held back Jones’ development. Jones, with Wagner gone, has clearly become the “quarterback of the defense,” and he’s been very productive.

Leonard Floyd (released) – M
If the Rams had a bit more at the EDGE spot, I’d put this as a “V.” Byron Young has been productive at the spot, but you have to wonder what our pass rush would have looked like this year with Young and Floyd playing as bookends. Still, in the long run, this was a financial move that makes sense.

Baker Mayfield (did not re-sign) – M
Not bidding for Mayfield, who was paid $8.5 million to be the Buccaneers’ starter, made perfect sense. The Rams simply could not afford that type of a price tag for a guy who, if all went well, would never start a game. That said, I have to give an “M” score due to the Rams’ lack of a suitable “Plan B" (thanks, Stetson!) which could very well be the reason we don’t have 10 wins already.

A’Shawn Robinson/Greg Gaines (did not re-sign) – V
My only hesitance on this one is that Gaines ended up being very affordable ($3.5M). Nonetheless, given the production of Bobby Brown and Kobie Turner, both on rookie deals, you have to tip your cap to the Rams’ foresight at the DT position.

Nick Scott/Taylor Rapp (did not re-sign) – V
Another good decision, as the Rams have done well with players already on the roster (Russ Yeast, Quentin Lake, Jordan Fuller) and the return of an older vet (John Johnson).

Matt Gay (did not re-sign) – R
This is the only clear miss. Yes, Gay proved to be expensive, but, again… the lack of a suitable “Plan B” has really hurt. This miss can be tempered next year if the Rams can find a long-term solution at PK in the draft but, right now, we could use a guy like Matt!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some of these could be argued I think. There's no clear answer on some of them.

Gay for example I think is validated. He has not lived up to that contract. But we are in kicker hell. Thing is there was room for them to get kicker right without paying Gay, so I'd say it's either validated or mixed.

Ramsey is similar. PFF loves him but the Miami games I've watched he's the same guy who has to hold his ass off to keep faster wideouts under control. Miami's secondary is giving up a passer rating of 92.3 (22nd). For reference the Rams are at 87.6 (14th). Last season the Rams were at 90.8 (19th). So way I see it they smartly removed his overpaid ass and replaced him with another vet who is hit and miss and overall are a better secondary this year for it in some ways.

In this week's Monday Morning QB by King somewhere in that massive product he mentions that after Ramsey was moved Raheem wanted a bigger corner due to a small group, and that he wanted to play more aggressively on the back end, both of which led to Spoon's addition. Spoon has struggled vs speed too, but I think in total the Rams deserve a lot of credit for making that move. So I'd almost go with validated, though I suppose mixed is most fair.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of these could be argued I think. There's no clear answer on some of them.

Gay for example I think is validated. He has not lived up to that contract. But we are in kicker hell. Thing is there was room for them to get kicker right without paying Gay, so I'd say it's either validated or mixed.

Ramsey is similar. PFF loves him but the Miami games I've watched he's the same guy who has to hold his ass off to keep faster wideouts under control. Miami's secondary is giving up a passer rating of 92.3 (22nd). For reference the Rams are at 87.6 (14th). Last season the Rams were at 90.8 (19th). So way I see it they smartly removed his overpaid ass and replaced him with another vet who is hit and miss and overall are a better secondary this year for it in some ways.

In this week's Monday Morning QB by King somewhere in that massive product he mentions that after Ramsey was moved Raheem wanted a bigger corner due to a small group, and that he wanted to play more aggressively on the back end, both of which led to Spoon's addition. Spoon has struggled vs speed too, but I think in total the Rams deserve a lot of credit for making that move. So I'd almost go with validated, though I suppose mixed is most fair.
Fair points, and I enjoy the debate. Cheers!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Matt Gay decision is completely validated seeing he signed the biggest FA contract for a kicker ever, and responded by being lower tier in FG %. The plan for replacing him however surely leaves a lot to be desired

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On a side note, I give you a lot of credit @AvengerRam for coming up with so many unique topics, and the work that you must be putting in!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great topic @AvengerRam. I would give all of them a V. Some of those guys got injured... Ramsey.... (not that it's his fault), Ernest Jones has certainly replaced Wagner, Leonard Floyd would certainly have helped but his contract was a killer, Baker wanted to start and they weren't gonna pay him anyway, Gaines and Ashawn have not done anything as far as I know, and another kicker should have been found by now. Coupled with the draft class and the 2 pick-ups in Witherspoon and Dotson, you have to give Snead and McCay an A+. Jmo, of course.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
From listening to The Athletic Podcast, I get the impression that Wagner's been a liability in pass coverage. I seem to recall the Rams attacking the middle of the field often in Week 1.
His coverage #s don't look too good. I don't remember his contract, but it was probably too high for a 2 down LB.
47-Completions, 82.5%, 525yds, 2Tds, 116.6 QB Rating.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bengals probably release Nick Scott after this season. I'd bring him back. Solid safety in our system and a dynamite special teamer. I know Matt Gay isn't having his best year in Indy, but he was money here. I wish we had him. The other moves all made sense. We wanted to eat the dead cap this year to allow ourselves to make a run next year. Although, we definitely miss Leonard Floyd.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Yes, Floyd has been pretty good for the Bills. Still surely glad we missed out on Von Miller. Zero production this year. Zero. And domestic allegations. Not to mention a massive cap hit next season, almost 24 million. Dude doesn't have an out in his contract until 2025, and that will still be nearly 15.5 million in dead cap. NO THANKS.

Still not sure we got the return we should have in the Ramsey trade. Luckily our scouts found us a diamond in Young, but Hunter Long is likely JAG who, due to injuries, won't get a chance anyway.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
We’ve now reached a point where we can have a meaningful (re)evaluation of the “purge” moves the Rams made during the 2023 offseason. As a whole, it’s the moves have obviously worked out very well. As individuals (or position-based) decisions, I’m going to assign one of three ratings to each:

V – validated. Decisions that, in hindsight, look like very smart.
M – mixed bag. Decisions that could still go either way.
R – regretful. Decisions we wish we had not made.

Odell Beckham, Jr. (did not re-sign) – V
The Rams declined to pay the market price (he received a 1 year, $15M contract) to bring back OBJ. While he’s had his moments (against us, unfortunately), his overall production (35 receptions, 565 yards, 3 TDs) has not warranted that price tag. Instead, we found a nice alternative in the 5th round of the draft!

Jalen Ramsey (traded) – M
This one has a lot of factors. On the plus side, the Rams got out from his contract (which he subsequently renegotiated with Miami), and got a nice return on the trade by drafting Byron Young. On the minus side, Ramsey’s absence has definitely been felt, notwithstanding the bargain value acquisition of Ahkello Witherspoon. I think, in the long run, this could become a “V,” but I’ll put it as a hit and miss move at this stage.

Bobby Wagner (released) – M
We arguably could have afforded one more year with Wagner, and he’s still playing a Pro Bowl level. I do think the defense would have been a bit stronger this year with Wagner and Ernest Jones playing together, but the flip side it that Wagner’s presence may have held back Jones’ development. Jones, with Wagner gone, has clearly become the “quarterback of the defense,” and he’s been very productive.

Leonard Floyd (released) – M
If the Rams had a bit more at the EDGE spot, I’d put this as a “V.” Byron Young has been productive at the spot, but you have to wonder what our pass rush would have looked like this year with Young and Floyd playing as bookends. Still, in the long run, this was a financial move that makes sense.

Baker Mayfield (did not re-sign) – M
Not bidding for Mayfield, who was paid $8.5 million to be the Buccaneers’ starter, made perfect sense. The Rams simply could not afford that type of a price tag for a guy who, if all went well, would never start a game. That said, I have to give an “M” score due to the Rams’ lack of a suitable “Plan B" (thanks, Stetson!) which could very well be the reason we don’t have 10 wins already.

A’Shawn Robinson/Greg Gaines (did not re-sign) – V
My only hesitance on this one is that Gaines ended up being very affordable ($3.5M). Nonetheless, given the production of Bobby Brown and Kobie Turner, both on rookie deals, you have to tip your cap to the Rams’ foresight at the DT position.

Nick Scott/Taylor Rapp (did not re-sign) – V
Another good decision, as the Rams have done well with players already on the roster (Russ Yeast, Quentin Lake, Jordan Fuller) and the return of an older vet (John Johnson).

Matt Gay (did not re-sign) – R
This is the only clear miss. Yes, Gay proved to be expensive, but, again… the lack of a suitable “Plan B” has really hurt. This miss can be tempered next year if the Rams can find a long-term solution at PK in the draft but, right now, we could use a guy like Matt!
In a vacuum, yeah, agree.

Just not sure they could have kept the "M" ones if they wanted to. It was as much about money as anything. Could not afford those guys and build for future. Sure, would have been great to keep Mayfield as a backup but it wasn't an option. He wanted to be a starter. Rams could not play him the $4 mil he got, as on example.

Rams brass took risks to get the ring, and they were right to do it. And took risks on the rebuild and have proven right to do that as well.

Now, next with with tens of millions in cap room and high picks, they are set up for another run.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Interesting topic.

I just think that many of them are simply grades you can't give until we see what happens with the cleared out cap money this coming offseason. This was a two-year plan.

I will say I think the Wagner move was validated. From a value perspective.. you have Jones on the field 100% of the time, versus 60% of the time. And his strengths are more similar to Wagner than what they could really use in a second LB, imo.

And getting Byron Young makes the Ramsey trade an absolute win, imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
lthough, we definitely miss Leonard Floyd.
Yeah Big 54 was a favorite of mine for sure. But I have to admit what he was giving us there isn't all that much dropoff to Young. I do miss his oversized and menacing ass off that edge though.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I expected more out of the Ramsey trade return. That was a disappointment - in a vacuum.

However, the pick we did get turning into Young makes it a great trade. So seeing things afterwards and what’s being done with such assets makes a big difference versus initial thoughts.

If we had instead received pick #27-32 and still selected Young. I’d have been stoked both with the initial trade & the results afterwards.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
I expected more out of the Ramsey trade return. That was a disappointment - in a vacuum.

However, the pick we did get turning into Young makes it a great trade. So seeing things afterwards and what’s being done with such assets makes a big difference versus initial thoughts.

If we had instead received pick #27-32 and still selected Young. I’d have been stoked both with the initial trade & the results afterwards.
From what I have seen Ramsey is definitely in decline mode. He’s not worth the money that the Dolphins paid to get him contractually. The 3rd round pick was less than expected based on his previous production but now it’s well beyond the compensation that the Rams would possibly receive. Young looks like a very good young player that will only get better while Ramsey continues to regress.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Big 54 was a favorite of mine for sure. But I have to admit what he was giving us there isn't all that much dropoff to Young. I do miss his oversized and menacing ass off that edge though.
Gotta disagree on that. Young may end up becoming an equal or better player, but he's not the pass rusher Floyd was at this stage. Floyd really worked on his game while here and developed a pretty diverse set of pass rush moves (even borrowing some of Von's moves). That said, Young has the ability to grow into a better player. Just needs a lot of polish.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Not sure about the “Regret” label on Gay. Even though Maher and Havrisik have been very frustrating - they haven’t cost us a game. No way we could have paid Gay what he got from Colts and he hasn’t been the same guy this year.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WHAT THE HELL MAN....

Image 1-4-24 at 4.47 PM.jpg