Ranking the top in-house & free agent replacements for injured DE Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want starting in place of Easley?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Ranking the top in-house & free agent replacements for injured DE Dominique Easley

227364_85f4fbb3114744e586386587487a81ea~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-replacements-for-injured-DE-Dominique-Easley

While we wait to hear back officially on what the injury diagnoses is for Dominique Easley. Here is a ranking of players on the roster and players in the free agency pool the Rams can use to replace Easley this season.

5. Free Agent - Vance Walker (6-foot-2, 302 pounds)

227364_4da6fb76f09c46f9b17242253ea5ef6d~mv2.webp

This is the type of move that the Rams could make just because they have Wade Phillips on the coaching staff. Walker was on the team that Phillips won the Super Bowl with in Denver so he would definitely be familiar with him. Walker missed the entire 2016 season after tearing his ACL in training camp. He was supposed to be the starter heading into that season.

Now, it's official that Walker has been medically cleared and should be heavily considered to re-sign with the Broncos. That's where the Rams could step in and change all of that. Walker is not by any means a superstar, but familiarity within the system, size and depth could make him a nice fit to take over for the injured Easley.

4. In-House -Morgan Fox (6-foot-3, 275 pounds)
227364_30d0e878ed6247f996fb417820a41206~mv2.webp

Rams insider Myles Simmons listed former UDFA Morgan Fox as one of three players to keep an eye on after his showing in day two of practice. Fox is a player that stood out in preseason last year and ended up finding his way on the 53-man roster and playing in games towards the end of the season.

Simmons pointed out that Fox could be an effective rotational piece along the front seven and well that of course was before Easley's injury. Fox gets the higher ranking than Walker here. Walker may have the veteran experience, the experience with the system and the experience with Wade. However, Fox was on the Rams last year, he's on the roster now, he has a more athletic build, more speed off the line and of course he isn't coming off a torn ACL like Walker.

3. In-House -Matt Longacre (6-foot-3, 255 pounds)
227364_0c6322f2ae7b40cea1ae96e9f63be89a~mv2.webp

Another undrafted free agent turned Ram is Matt Longacre. Longacre was neglected last season by the coaching staff as he failed to get on the field much at all last season. Andy Benoit of Sports Illustrated is known for his outstanding and vast football knowledge. He took note of Longacre having one of the worst bodies in the NFL, but being a hell of a player.

Now, looking at his frame many may think that Longacre won't work as a 3-4 defensive end. However, what has been previously mentioned is that Phillips really doesn't run a true 3-4. Longacre could fit the bill as a high intensity and high motor player at the end spot one the other side of Aaron Donald. It will be interesting because Longacre has shown flashes, but he barely got to play last year so with this new coaching staff Longacre could get a serious look.

I give Longacre the nod over Fox due to the fact Longacre has been on the roster longer.

2. Free Agent - Jared Odrick (6-foot-5, 298 pounds)
227364_56e97d9788fd4117adcd01ccfe3075fd~mv2_d_2048_1363_s_2.webp

Perhaps the most accomplished and most tooled defensive end on this list is Jared Odrick. While Odrick might be most known for his Instagram photo that went viral of him flipping off his phone after the Jaguars cut him, he is still a solid NFL player. The 29-year old Odrick struggled in Gus Bradley's 4-3 defense in Jacksonville and would fit Wade Phillips hybrid 3-4 like a glove.

With Odrick, the reason he is not the number one guy on this list is because of the fact it's uncertain how much he will cost. Jacksonville, after all, let Odrick go in the third year of his five year $42,500,000 contract. After a huge contract like that it's hard to figure out Odrick's worth and that is likely the reason he has been a free agent since February. The Rams should definitely consider Odrick, but the guy below is the reason they may not have to.

1. In-House - Ethan Westbrooks
227364_3c6127a6f9e447f9896360707a9e1afe~mv2_d_3938_2626_s_4_2.webp

Number one is Ethan Westbrooks and we have seen his ability to flashed over and over again, but he's never been the starter per say. If Easley is in fact done for the season, which could very well be the case. This is the Westbrooks show. There is no way anyone expected Westbrooks to be the next man up three years later, but here he is. It wasn't easy and for the Rams new regime to see them hold onto Westbrooks and not punish him after his arrest was an eye-opener. They believed in his ability so they waited for all of the details and when Westbrooks was found innocent they looked like the geniuses.

Now, just imagine if the Rams pulled a Dallas Cowboys and impulse released Westbrooks right after the wrongful arrest? He would likely be on another team and the Rams would not have the type of high upside backup in relief of Easley. Westbrooks is athletic enough and big enough to play the position. We saw him last year return a Robert Quinn forced fumble more than fifty yards to the end zone.

This is Westbrooks chance to shine and earn a long-term deal with the Rams. If all pans out he might have a permanent role as the team's starter. It's not realistic to assume Easley comes back 100% again after what could be his third ACL tear in his career.

How would you rank them? Did we forget anyone? Let us know!

HellRam

Starter
Westbrooks is the safe bet. However I'd like to see Longacre get a shot at the job. Dude looked impressive when he first got playing time, albeit it wasnt much playing time. I know PFF likes him too.

Curious to what happened to Matt last season. Thought he was going to be a nice roll player.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Trinca-Pasat has a camp anywhere near as good as his 2015 performance, ... he'll be tough to overlook.

…..

Legend
All our in house guys are back-ups. Good back ups, but still they are back ups for a reason. Its one thing for a back up to step in for a game or two, quite another to have a back up take over for the season. I'd like to see us go get a viable replacement.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The 2017 season will put Ethan Westbrooks on the Map and moving forward he'll be know as "The Big E."
ethan-westbrooks-of-the-los-angeles-rams-celebrates-during-the-game-picture-id636764442

Rams43

Hall of Fame
All our in house guys are back-ups. Good back ups, but still they are back ups for a reason. Its one thing for a back up to step in for a game or two, quite another to have a back up take over for the season. I'd like to see us go get a viable replacement.

Here's the thing, Dog.

The Rams can't just go down to Costco and purchase a starting quality DE, can they?

It's Aug 2nd, man. The shelves are pretty much bare at this point. And even if one was sitting there, it might be a challenge to find the cap room for him.

I think Wade is just gonna have to cope here with schemes and backups. BTW, I wouldn't rule out one of our backups blossoming under Wade. Wouldn't be the first time that that's happened, huh?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I imagine they'd probably go in house and scour preseason cuts for depth later this month...

Perhaps a player for player trade near the end of camp of someone who's gonna get cut (Harkey maybe)...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

227364_85f4fbb3114744e586386587487a81ea~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-replacements-for-injured-DE-Dominique-Easley

While we wait to hear back officially on what the injury diagnoses is for Dominique Easley. Here is a ranking of players on the roster and players in the free agency pool the Rams can use to replace Easley this season.

5. Free Agent - Vance Walker (6-foot-2, 302 pounds)

227364_4da6fb76f09c46f9b17242253ea5ef6d~mv2.webp

This is the type of move that the Rams could make just because they have Wade Phillips on the coaching staff. Walker was on the team that Phillips won the Super Bowl with in Denver so he would definitely be familiar with him. Walker missed the entire 2016 season after tearing his ACL in training camp. He was supposed to be the starter heading into that season.

Now, it's official that Walker has been medically cleared and should be heavily considered to re-sign with the Broncos. That's where the Rams could step in and change all of that. Walker is not by any means a superstar, but familiarity within the system, size and depth could make him a nice fit to take over for the injured Easley.

4. In-House -Morgan Fox (6-foot-3, 275 pounds)
227364_30d0e878ed6247f996fb417820a41206~mv2.webp

Rams insider Myles Simmons listed former UDFA Morgan Fox as one of three players to keep an eye on after his showing in day two of practice. Fox is a player that stood out in preseason last year and ended up finding his way on the 53-man roster and playing in games towards the end of the season.

Simmons pointed out that Fox could be an effective rotational piece along the front seven and well that of course was before Easley's injury. Fox gets the higher ranking than Walker here. Walker may have the veteran experience, the experience with the system and the experience with Wade. However, Fox was on the Rams last year, he's on the roster now, he has a more athletic build, more speed off the line and of course he isn't coming off a torn ACL like Walker.

3. In-House -Matt Longacre (6-foot-3, 255 pounds)
227364_0c6322f2ae7b40cea1ae96e9f63be89a~mv2.webp

Another undrafted free agent turned Ram is Matt Longacre. Longacre was neglected last season by the coaching staff as he failed to get on the field much at all last season. Andy Benoit of Sports Illustrated is known for his outstanding and vast football knowledge. He took note of Longacre having one of the worst bodies in the NFL, but being a hell of a player.

Now, looking at his frame many may think that Longacre won't work as a 3-4 defensive end. However, what has been previously mentioned is that Phillips really doesn't run a true 3-4. Longacre could fit the bill as a high intensity and high motor player at the end spot one the other side of Aaron Donald. It will be interesting because Longacre has shown flashes, but he barely got to play last year so with this new coaching staff Longacre could get a serious look.

I give Longacre the nod over Fox due to the fact Longacre has been on the roster longer.

2. Free Agent - Jared Odrick (6-foot-5, 298 pounds)
227364_56e97d9788fd4117adcd01ccfe3075fd~mv2_d_2048_1363_s_2.webp

Perhaps the most accomplished and most tooled defensive end on this list is Jared Odrick. While Odrick might be most known for his Instagram photo that went viral of him flipping off his phone after the Jaguars cut him, he is still a solid NFL player. The 29-year old Odrick struggled in Gus Bradley's 4-3 defense in Jacksonville and would fit Wade Phillips hybrid 3-4 like a glove.

With Odrick, the reason he is not the number one guy on this list is because of the fact it's uncertain how much he will cost. Jacksonville, after all, let Odrick go in the third year of his five year $42,500,000 contract. After a huge contract like that it's hard to figure out Odrick's worth and that is likely the reason he has been a free agent since February. The Rams should definitely consider Odrick, but the guy below is the reason they may not have to.

1. In-House - Ethan Westbrooks
227364_3c6127a6f9e447f9896360707a9e1afe~mv2_d_3938_2626_s_4_2.webp

Number one is Ethan Westbrooks and we have seen his ability to flashed over and over again, but he's never been the starter per say. If Easley is in fact done for the season, which could very well be the case. This is the Westbrooks show. There is no way anyone expected Westbrooks to be the next man up three years later, but here he is. It wasn't easy and for the Rams new regime to see them hold onto Westbrooks and not punish him after his arrest was an eye-opener. They believed in his ability so they waited for all of the details and when Westbrooks was found innocent they looked like the geniuses.

Now, just imagine if the Rams pulled a Dallas Cowboys and impulse released Westbrooks right after the wrongful arrest? He would likely be on another team and the Rams would not have the type of high upside backup in relief of Easley. Westbrooks is athletic enough and big enough to play the position. We saw him last year return a Robert Quinn forced fumble more than fifty yards to the end zone.

This is Westbrooks chance to shine and earn a long-term deal with the Rams. If all pans out he might have a permanent role as the team's starter. It's not realistic to assume Easley comes back 100% again after what could be his third ACL tear in his career.

How would you rank them? Did we forget anyone? Let us know!
I personally never had Easley starting at DE! I had him as Brockers back-up at NT! Now I have Smart moving into that position!
I have Westbrooks as starting LDE and Longacre backing him up!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not forget Tanzel Smart. He's disruptive as hell, and he fits the Easley profile better than the others do.

…..

Legend
Here's the thing, Dog.

The Rams can't just go down to Costco and purchase a starting quality DE, can they?

It's Aug 2nd, man. The shelves are pretty much bare at this point. And even if one was sitting there, it might be a challenge to find the cap room for him.

I think Wade is just gonna have to cope here with schemes and backups. BTW, I wouldn't rule out one of our backups blossoming under Wade. Wouldn't be the first time that that's happened, huh?

Creativity might yield results. We dont have alot of trade equity but....ya never know. Easely was in my mind, a pretty important piece.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would have never guessed this :shocked:

According to our camp reports we now have our short term answer to this question....DL coach Bill Johnson plugged in Louis Trinca-Pasat who is a rather short large over 300 pound DE. Its been a long uphill climb for LTP who spent the 2015 season on the Rams practice squad & last season on IR. who said the thrid time is the charm???Now he on the first team reps. We have heard for several years that coaches fall in love with him. Guess Bill Johnson is impressed. LTP suffered the same type knee injury last TC that Easley did.

All of the reports on him had a common thread about him is that he will work very hard inside the construct of a defensive scheme exceptionally well. LTP play ed both DT posts in college @ Iowa. Playing DE in this 3 player DL might be what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

bdfitz

UDFA
I said on another thread, Smart and Trinca-Pasatvit in that order. Easly was pegged at DT. The others listed are Ends. Good b/ups but in the 3-4 I see Smart and LTP needing to step up at DT. Can't count on Donald this year and I never thought I'd be saying that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

According to our camp reports we now have our short term answer to this question....DL coach Bill Johnson plugged in Louis Trinca-Pasat who is a rather short large over 300 pound DE. Its been a long uphill climb for LTP who spent the 2015 season on the Rams practice squad & last season on IR. who said the thrid time is the charm???Now he on the first team reps. We have heard for several years that coaches fall in love with him. Guess Bill Johnson is impressed. LTP suffered the same type knee injury last TC that Easley did.

All of the reports on him had a common thread about him is that he will work very hard inside the construct of a defensive scheme exceptionally well. LTP play ed both DT posts in college @ Iowa. Playing DE in this 3 player DL might be what the doctor ordered.

I don't understand the big surprise regarding LTP myself. His 2015 pre-season camp play received some of the highest accolades the team & fans offered anyone. He is a strong, high octane, high motor player who played well at DT & DE in the short time we were able to see him. The guy is built like a fireplug and can still get after the QB and ball carriers. My only real concern is with his injury recovery and whether he is the same player we saw two years ago. If so, I won't worry, thought he might provide Easley with some stiff competition anyway. Here's to hoping for a real diamond in the rough discovery. :cheers:

Ram65

Legend
Westbrooks. LTP and Smart. Could rotate in Fox and others. I wouldn't rule out a pickup either.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I have been curious about Trinca-Pasat every sense he was Drafted! I loved his attitude! His draft Day comment has always stuck in my head, " All the Teams that passed on me are going to regret it!" I hope his comment comes true with the Rams!!(y):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Question I have now on LTP:thinking:, on this recent development involving this UDFA 2 plus years away from that 2015 draft event ....did DL coach Bill Johnson insert him into the Aaron Donald 3 tech post (right side DL) or was LTP placed in the 5 tech (left side DL ) post? Maybe some of the very lucky attending TC forum members could help me out on this question.

Lining up with the first team in practice must have been BIG for LTP after so much hard bad luck & disappointment the last 2 seasons. How could you not be elated for him.:yess:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LTP, Westbrooks, Omarius Bryant, AJ Jefferson, Fox (I believe Longacre is being moved to OLB), Caushaud Lyons, hell I'd put Purcell in here too, but I haven't seen him play....All will be given a chance to replace Easley...