Ranking the top in-house & free agent replacements for injured DE Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want starting in place of Easley?

• Total voters

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LTP, Westbrooks, Omarius Bryant, AJ Jefferson, Fox (I believe Longacre is being moved to OLB), Caushaud Lyons, hell I'd put Purcell in here too, but I haven't seen him play....All will be given a chance to replace Easley...

That's a good question Champ for our fortunate TC attending members. Is Matt Longacre a #1-34 D 3 tech DE, or #2- a 34 D 5 tech DE, or #3-a 34 D Strong outside LB'er, or #4- a 34 D weak outside LB'er, or #5 a Strong inside LB'er or #6 a weak inside LB'er? Where has Matt being working thus far ???? Anyone really know? Not a word has been said.

Here's what I do know...lost some Lbs. since last season. Will never be a good pass rushing 43 DE. Has play some DT in college. Serious good wrestler . Much more of a thinker & smart @ knowing were to be & where to go. He is a inch shorter & same 255 lbs as our starting strong outside Lb'er Barwin. That is where I would expect Matt to be in practice.

If you take a look @ our DE prospects LTP is 300 lbs, Smart 290 lbs, Westbooks 284 lbs, Donald 280 lbs, Fox 275 lbs, Sayles 290 lbs & Jefferson 280 lbs so Matt @ 255 is 45/35/25 lbs difference by a long ways from the other DE candidates.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Agreed @BonifayRam

Longacre is a outside linebacker...probably on the left side....behind Barwin...I think his challenge is beating out Samson, and a plethora of other candidates....that specialize in pass rushing...thinking that dude from Pitt is on Quinn's side...plus the other, more natural LB's like Thompson. I hope McVay's depth chart is accurate...it'll give us some clues on what son of bum thinks about his OLB's

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed @BonifayRam
Longacre is a outside linebacker...probably on the left side....behind Barwin...I think his challenge is beating out Samson, and a plethora of other candidates....that specialize in pass rushing...thinking that dude from Pitt is on Quinn's side...plus the other, more natural LB's like Thompson. I hope McVay's depth chart is accurate...it'll give us some clues on what son of bum thinks about his OLB's
Yep we agree here & are projecting Matt in the same post. Strong side (left) outer LB'er. That's a major post shift for him but like I said above it appears to fit his natural skills & talents. When mentioning other contending Lb'ing cadre....I very interested as to where Coach Barry inserted Josh Forrest & Cory Littleton.

I'm not as high as you are on Thompson. I also feel that Ebukam will be the top back up to Quinn @ the Weak Outside (right) Lb'er post. Now It's my prognostication that 2017 draft selection Edge rusher Ejuan price (if he can remain healthy) is Matt Longacre's biggest competition behind Conner Barwin. Price's talent & skills better suites the left OSLB'er IMO. Champ put that in your large memory bank file & get back with me if I am wrong;):D.

Matt Longacre is involved in his 3rd Training Camp where the other prospects have much less. ML made the PS back in 2015 but was moved up to master roster & activated wk 9 & played in 5 gms. Then in 2016 ML once again won a roster spot. & played in 6 gms. I would tend to think that the loss of our only pass rushing DE for most all of the 2015 & 2016 seasons Rob Quinn hurts ML playing time. Rams has serious needs to find a replacement edge pass rusher @ DE. That's just does not fit what ML is.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Westbrooks is the safe bet. However I'd like to see Longacre get a shot at the job. Dude looked impressive when he first got playing time, albeit it wasnt much playing time. I know PFF likes him too.

Curious to what happened to Matt last season. Thought he was going to be a nice roll player.

I think both were shoe ins .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'll be surprised if Smart doesn't make the team. High motor, gets in the backfield, a bit raw though.