Randy On Playoff Hcs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is exactly where I've been coming from on Fisher's needing to win this year. He should be feeling extreme pressure to win this year. HC's that don't win in their 3rd year get canned for a good reason. Now, I don't think Kroenke will fire Fisher if he doesn't make the playoffs this year, but I think it will be a huge problem for Fisher in 2015 to keep getting his players to buy into his program after 3 years of losing.

This from Randy K...
Of the eight teams that played this weekend, six – Indianapolis, Kansas City, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Diego and San Francisco – had coaches who made the playoffs in their first year with the franchise they’re with. Mike McCarthy made it in his second year with Green Bay and missed in Aaron Rodgers’ first year as a starter before making it the last five seasons. In Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis made it in his third year. Of the four teams with byes, Pete Carroll in Seattle and John Fox in Denver made it their first years at the helm, Bill Belichick his second in New England and Ron Rivera his third with Carolina. It’s understandable why fans, media and even owners are so impatient when it comes to building a franchise. Because of that early success, it would seem the pressure to make the playoffs is pretty significant on Jeff Fisher and the Rams next season.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Randy K. needs to refresh himself on some of these other teams rosters, and cap room when the coaches took them over.

dodgerram

UDFA
Randy K. needs to refresh himself on some of these other teams rosters, and cap room when the coaches took them over.

Well, San Diego and the Colts for example like the rams gutted their roster too in 2011 and yet they are back into the playoffs now.
Kansas City was the worst team in the league last year.
So yes, a succesful rebuilt can be done a lot quicker than the Rams are showing.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Legend
The success of those first year coaches is completely irrelevant to the Rams situation. Apples to oranges IMO.
Fisher has no worries at all until his contract is up and even then I don't see SK replacing him. Or Snead.

The Rams improvement over the last two years is obvious way beyond what our record says. Stan sees that I'm sure.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Well, San Diego and the Colts for example like the rams gutted their roster too in 2011 and yet they are back into the playoffs now.
So yes, a succesful rebuilt can be done a lot quicker than the Rams are showing.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the Bolts gutted in 11 would have been starters for the Rams in 11. And I'm not sure in the AFC the Rams wouldn't have pushed the playoff pile this year. The Chiefs had 6 Pro bowl players and Cap room. Fisher inherited Fred Robbins and Jason Smith.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC is a poor example, they had nothing close to a rebuild to do. They had one major problem and they solved it by adding ASmith.

A successful rebuild isn't one that doesn't last. A few years ago fans were screaming about how the Dolphins turned it around and won 11 games after a few losing seasons. That rebuild lasted that year and that year only. I think we should differentiate between a turnaround and a total rebuild like this team is going through.

Next year if there isn't 10 wins (with Bradford playing 16 games) then I'll say we are not on schedule. But I think people forget this was the worst roster in NFL history and the worst team as far as wins in NFL history. That can't be ignored.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
dodgerram even though I don't really agree with your post I gave you your first "like" so you can be in the club.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm holding the Rams to playoffs expectations next year. As should everyone else. In fact there's no reason they should've finished under .500 this year. They left a lot of winnable games on the table. It's time to start winning next year. This staff has had enough time and resources.

Alan

Legend
Username chiming in with and admonition:
I'm holding the Rams to playoffs expectations next year. As should everyone else. In fact there's no reason they should've finished under .500 this year. They left a lot of winnable games on the table. It's time to start winning next year. This staff has had enough time and resources.
I had playoff expectations this year so I'll just be doubling them for next year. :woot:

V3

Hall of Fame
What the Bolts gutted in 11 would have been starters for the Rams in 11. And I'm not sure in the AFC the Rams wouldn't have pushed the playoff pile this year. The Chiefs had 6 Pro bowl players and Cap room. Fisher inherited Fred Robbins and Jason Smith.

He also inherited other players that many fans love to defend/support. Fisher himself said the last regime "didn't leave the cupboard bare". He had JL, Long, Bradford, Fletcher, Quinn, Dahl, SJ, Kendricks, Mikell, Pettis, etc. It may not have been loaded but he wasn't working with nothing. There have been too many examples of horrible teams being able to turn it around in 3 years or less- and they most likely didn't have the help of a huge trade like the Rams got from RG3.

I'm not saying fire Fisher/Snead but if this team doesn't show some improvement next year, they'll be getting some heat from the fans and I can't say it'll be unwarranted. There have been some questionable moves in the draft, FA, and coaching staff that fans will be pointing at as the reason for the slower than expected turn around. I think Fisher is a great leader but I still wonder about some moves and why he didn't succeed more at his last coaching gig.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
None of those teams are or were playing in a division as tough as the Rams are. 2 division teams are now 1 game away from a SB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He also inherited other players that many fans love to defend/support. Fisher himself said the last regime "didn't leave the cupboard bare". He had JL, Long, Bradford, Fletcher, Quinn, Dahl, SJ, Kendricks, Mikell, Pettis, etc. It may not have been loaded but he wasn't working with nothing. There have been too many examples of horrible teams being able to turn it around in 3 years or less- and they most likely didn't have the help of a huge trade like the Rams got from RG3.

I'm not saying fire Fisher/Snead but if this team doesn't show some improvement next year, they'll be getting some heat from the fans and I can't say it'll be unwarranted. There have been some questionable moves in the draft, FA, and coaching staff that fans will be pointing at as the reason for the slower than expected turn around. I think Fisher is a great leader but I still wonder about some moves and why he didn't succeed more at his last coaching gig.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but something like 20 of the players he cut never played in the NFL again. Out of your list only 4 really good players, a couple decent players and a couple cap casualties. Then there's Dahl who we all tried to run out of town. Some of the faster teams to rebuild had 50+ mil. cap room like the Seahags and 9'ers. Rams have the usual 10 mil.
It wasn't just coaching why the Rams did the 15-65 thing.

But you are right, this is Fishers team now. 5 of those players you listed will be about all that will be left come next season. So yeah it needs to be a playoff team or very close contender.
But how would you feel if the Rams won 11 games next year and not make the playoffs? Success or fail.? That could easily happen.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blah, blah, blah.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Call me unreasonable if you'd like, but if Fisher doesn't win at least 10 games this year then that's a major failure. He's had more high draft picks than anyone else, plus he's spent tons of money in FA.

If he loses again this year, than he botched his additions or isn't good enough anymore or both.

V3

Hall of Fame
Correct me if I'm wrong, but something like 20 of the players he cut never played in the NFL again. Out of your list only 4 really good players, a couple decent players and a couple cap casualties. Then there's Dahl who we all tried to run out of town. Some of the faster teams to rebuild had 50+ mil. cap room like the Seahags and 9'ers. Rams have the usual 10 mil.
It wasn't just coaching why the Rams did the 15-65 thing.

But you are right, this is Fishers team now. 5 of those players you listed will be about all that will be left come next season. So yeah it needs to be a playoff team or very close contender.
But how would you feel if the Rams won 11 games next year and not make the playoffs? Success or fail.? That could easily happen.

I'd be very happy with 11. It could happen, I agree. But I also see how this team could also stagnate. Right now, I can't say what I think the Rams will do next year. I still want to see what they do with FA and the draft. But I do think next year is a major year for many key figures on the Rams.

Simba

Rookie
Blah, blah, blah.

Call me unreasonable if you'd like, but if Fisher doesn't win at least 10 games this year then that's a major failure. He's had more high draft picks than anyone else, plus he's spent tons of money in FA.

If he loses again this year, than he botched his additions or isn't good enough anymore or both.

If we lose our qb again?There is always a part of it, unmanageable.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You really can't compare all of these coaches and their teams equally.

Take B'cheat for example. He's listed here. Guess how he did in his first 3 years at the helm in Cleveland...

He didn't make the playoffs until his 4th year. Does that tell us anything? BTW... he proceeded to go 5 - 11 in his 5th year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pete Carroll didn't have a winning record until his 3rd year. His first year playoff appearance was 2010...and they went at 7-9.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Blah, blah, blah.

This is where my head is at, with an *.

All things are situational.

So, I'll determine the fail or success factor based on what we see transpire the entire season. Not based on win count.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pete Carroll didn't have a winning record until his 3rd year. His first year playoff appearance was 2010...and they went at 7-9.

I'm not sure of your point, but 7-9, 7-9, then 11-5. That's perfectly fine.

That's what I hope Fisher does.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
None of those teams are or were playing in a division as tough as the Rams are. 2 division teams are now 1 game away from a SB.
Strength of schedule / division has a lot to do with success. Loss of starting qb! Just sayin!