Random thoughts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
1. Shottenheimer is a bad OC. I believe that has been demonstrated. Regardless of how poorly the players have executed, Schotty still leaves a lot to be desired in an OC. Retaining him is a mistake. I get that you don't like firing your OC during the season, and I would be shocked if Fisher let him go this year, but I will be even more shocked if the Rams offense showed improvement this year under Schotty. Bottom line is holding onto Schotty will ensure that our offense is never any good.

2. Trading a first round pick for TRich was not a good move, regardless of what Balzer says. The Rams have a good shot at 2 top 10 picks next year, and TRich is not worth a top 10 pick by any stretch. The guy is averaging a career 3.1 yd/carry. Thats not a top 10 pick RB.

3. Bradford has 12 game to step up and show that he is more than a jag. With 2 high draft picks next year, and a draft loaded at QB, it would be gross negligence if Snead/Fisher didn't draft a QB if Bradford continues at his current level of performance.

4. It's only a matter of time before there is a team in LA. The NFL is all about money, and there is way too much money sitting on the table in LA. If Kroenke wants to go to LA, then the Rams will be in LA in a few years. Somebody is going there, and the Rams are probably the most likely team all things considered. Taking this thought one step further, I wonder how Georgia Frontiere will be viewed by the fans and the media if the Ram move back to LA.

Agree with the first 3 points, on point 4 I think LA is worth more as a bargaining chip for owners wanting a new stadium than as an actual home to a football team. Either way as an Englishman it makes no difference to me.

TexRamFan

Rookie
max said:
4. It's only a matter of time before there is a team in LA. The NFL is all about money, and there is way too much money sitting on the table in LA. If Kroenke wants to go to LA, then the Rams will be in LA in a few years. Somebody is going there, and the Rams are probably the most likely team all things considered. Taking this thought one step further, I wonder how Georgia Frontiere will be viewed by the fans and the media if the Ram move back to LA.

You hit the nail on the head with the first 3 points. However I do not understand why people keep saying L.A. is where the money is. The money for who? Stan or the NFL?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I somewhat agree on point 1, I believe that the team can still improve under Schotty, but without him having a change of philosophy the team likely wont reach their full offensive potential.

Agree completely with point 2.

Completely disagree with point 3. Bradford isn't the issue, why would we draft another QB in the first round next year and stick him on a team without any help? When we can use that pick instead to help the team. Get some youth and skill on the O-Line and get a running back that can handle the load before looking to replace the QB.

I somewhat agree with point 4. I think that eventually a team is going to move to LA, but I'm not convinced it will be the Rams. Granted if Stan wanted to move the team he would, and if the attendance in the dome isn't good then he may see more of a reason to move, but I feel that the Rams will stay in St Louis, improve the dome and everyone will be happy.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
bluecoconuts said:
I somewhat agree on point 1, I believe that the team can still improve under Schotty, but without him having a change of philosophy the team likely wont reach their full offensive potential.

Agree completely with point 2.

Completely disagree with point 3. Bradford isn't the issue, why would we draft another QB in the first round next year and stick him on a team without any help? When we can use that pick instead to help the team. Get some youth and skill on the O-Line and get a running back that can handle the load before looking to replace the QB.

I somewhat agree with point 4. I think that eventually a team is going to move to LA, but I'm not convinced it will be the Rams. Granted if Stan wanted to move the team he would, and if the attendance in the dome isn't good then he may see more of a reason to move, but I feel that the Rams will stay in St Louis, improve the dome and everyone will be happy.

^^^This^^^

Saved me a lot of typing there blue.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I disagree with point 1. Schotty may not be the best in the business, but he has proven he can get it done with the likes of Sanchez as his QB. The issue with Schotty is the same issue many of us face on a daily basis - we have a boss that tells us what we can and cannot do. I'm a big fan of Fish, but his obsession with this commitment to the run is the demise of our offense, not Schotty.

2. Doesn't really matter since he went elsewhere.

3.Why all the faith in a college QB who has the same traits as SB coming out of college when we see what happens when you don't surround that player with the right talent. Our #1 picks need to be used on our O-line. I know thats not sexy or flashy, but that is a fact of our football life and it would behoove this organization to pay attention to that fact.

4. The Rams aren't going to L.A.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
max said:
1. Shottenheimer is a bad OC. I believe that has been demonstrated. Regardless of how poorly the players have executed, Schotty still leaves a lot to be desired in an OC. Retaining him is a mistake. I get that you don't like firing your OC during the season, and I would be shocked if Fisher let him go this year, but I will be even more shocked if the Rams offense showed improvement this year under Schotty. Bottom line is holding onto Schotty will ensure that our offense is never any good.

2. Trading a first round pick for TRich was not a good move, regardless of what Balzer says. The Rams have a good shot at 2 top 10 picks next year, and TRich is not worth a top 10 pick by any stretch. The guy is averaging a career 3.1 yd/carry. Thats not a top 10 pick RB.

3. Bradford has 12 game to step up and show that he is more than a jag. With 2 high draft picks next year, and a draft loaded at QB, it would be gross negligence if Snead/Fisher didn't draft a QB if Bradford continues at his current level of performance.

1. I think blaming the OC whenever things go back is a lazy way to place blame. No one gave a shit about Schotty last season, through this offseason, and basically until Dallas. There's more to blame than just the OC.

2. Really getting sick of the YPC stat. Is that the only thing people can bring up regrading Trent Richardson? Trent Richardson in a new offense already has more TDs and yards than the Rams have as a team combined (rushing anyway). I think it's simply naive to think he wouldn't help this offense. Now, b/c of cap issues and other variables (i.e. if the team even knew he as available) I can understand not getting him, but using the YPC stat as reason is just not valid enough.

3. True. 1.5 bad games, though. Again, no one cared this much about Sam when he gave the Rams a fighting chance against Atlanta.

4. Wake me up when they actually have a stadium deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:

Definitely not a good move. Thought it would be back when we actually looked competitive but the last couple weeks have proven to me what a miscalculation that would be about our team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
max said:

1. I think blaming the OC whenever things go back is a lazy way to place blame. No one gave a shyte about Schotty last season, through this offseason, and basically until Dallas. There's more to blame than just the OC.

2. Really getting sick of the YPC stat. Is that the only thing people can bring up regrading Trent Richardson? Trent Richardson in a new offense already has more TDs and yards than the Rams have as a team combined (rushing anyway). I think it's simply naive to think he wouldn't help this offense. Now, b/c of cap issues and other variables (i.e. if the team even knew he as available) I can understand not getting him, but using the YPC stat as reason is just not valid enough.

3. True. 1.5 bad games, though. Again, no one cared this much about Sam when he gave the Rams a fighting chance against Atlanta.

4. Wake me up when they actually have a stadium deal.

1. Not true. And you are totally missing the point. There were criticisms of Schotty from day one. And there was skepticism from almost everyone from day one. It's not like there are only a few good OCs out there. There is a much larger pool of good OCs than good HCs. There are plenty of failed HC who were once successful OCs. Why should we resign ourselves to hang onto a guy who was never viewed as a strong OC to begin with. And it has nothing to do with blame. It has everything to do with putting the best product on the field. When you have Schottenheimer as your OC, you are handicapping yourself from putting the best product on the field.

2. Once again you missed the point. I didn't say TRich wouldn't help the offense. This is about value. You don't vastly overpay just because the guy is better than what you have. The point is that TRich is not worth a high first round pick. He's a good back, not a great back.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't understand how you cant rate T-Rich as a top 10 pick talent. The guys young but proven - no draft pick is a guarantee - especially not the top 10 picks who always have more expectation piled on them and they are by definition unproven at NFL level.

For T-Rich and the Colts this move will work out like Marshawn Lynch's move to Seattle did for him. 3.1 yards per carry? Not for long I bet. And that's more than our running backs are getting at the moment and its 3.1 yards per carry more than a draft pick in the top ten can get until proven otherwise!

Angry Ram said:
max said:

This is one of the things I'll never understand, Sam has a 82.4 passer rating over the last season and a quarter, that isn't 1.5 bad game, it's 3 seasons and a quarter of below average QB play. He needs to, and imo can, do better.

As for the Atlanta game, you mean Sam got us within a TD of a 1-3 team? Now that is worth keeping a guy around for.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
It's not all shotty's fault. Sam doesn't look down field much or looks off any reciever much. And for those that will say he doesn't have time, what about the 1st 2 games? He had time. And we do need to draft a qb, maybe not 1st round but the furst 3 rounds I say yes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Rams fail to get Sam playing at a high level; what does that say about Fisher and Snead?

This is what I cringe about when talking about Sam.

If Sam doesn't get it done; they failed. They failed to evaluate him and his abilities. They failed selecting this offensive coordinator and scheme.

It's one or the other.

Me personally; the best thing the Rams can do is get heat off of Sam. That means something SERIOUS needs to change with this offense. FIT IT TO SAM'S ABILITIES.

For the life of me I don't understand why Fisher is being stubborn with the playcalling because right now he's killing his prized pupil... AND that's a serious problem to the rebuild game plan.

It could change.

I hope it does!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CGI_Ram said:
If the Rams fail to get Sam playing at a high level; what does that say about Fisher and Snead?

If Sam doesn't get it done; they failed. They failed to evaluate him and his abilities. They failed selecting this offensive coordinator and scheme.

It's one or the other.

Me personally; the best thing the Rams can do is get heat off of Sam. That means something SERIOUS needs to change with this offense. FIT IT TO SAM'S ABILITIES.

For the life of me I don't understand why Fisher is being stubborn with the playcalling because right now he's killing his prized pupil... AND that's a serious problem to the rebuild game plan.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Well, if you believe Fisher isn't dolling out a ration of total bullshit when he said yesterday "Sam is gonna be a good one, trust us", then you'd think he and Snead believe they evaluated Sam accurately. I wonder if he they feel the same about Schotty. And I would be curious to know what Snead thinks of Shotty.

…..

Legend
I dont see why the Rams keep getting brought up as a potential team for Los Angeles.

Everything I see going on in Jacksonville between their eccentric owner and the fan base makes me think we'll see the Los Angeles Jaguars in 2015 or 2016. (except I have no idea about the stadium in Jacksonville)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's one or the other.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Well, if you believe Fisher isn't dolling out a ration of total bullshit when he said yesterday "Sam is gonna be a good one, trust us", then you'd think he and Snead believe they evaluated Sam accurately. I wonder if he they feel the same about Schotty. And I would be curious to know what Snead thinks of Shotty.
Nobody failed to evaluate Sam. Every single professional analyst, coach, scout and executive said the same exact things about Bradford when he entered into the league. He has all of the tangibles to become a great NFL quarterback. Great potential can be ruined, and that's a stone cold fact. I, personally, don't think it's gotten to that point, and I think this staff can straighten things out.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
max said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's one or the other.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Nobody failed to evaluate Sam. Every single professional analyst, coach, scout and executive said the same exact things about Bradford when he entered into the league. He has all of the tangibles to become a great NFL quarterback. Great potential can be ruined, and that's a stone cold fact. I, personally, don't think it's gotten to that point, and I think this staff can straighten things out.
Do you think Sam still trusts this staff? I don't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Stranger said:
X said:
max said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's one or the other.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Do you think Sam still trusts this staff? I don't.
Well, I share a commonality with the rest of the board in that I'm not a mind-reader. If he doesn't "trust" the staff to put him and the rest of the offense in the best possible situation, then he only needs to stand up in the team meetings (or the offensive film studies) and say so. He's the leader. It's now his responsibility to voice his displeasures (if any).

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
max said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's one or the other.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Well, if you believe Fisher isn't dolling out a ration of total BS when he said yesterday "Sam is gonna be a good one, trust us", then you'd think he and Snead believe they evaluated Sam accurately. I wonder if he they feel the same about Schotty. And I would be curious to know what Snead thinks of Shotty.

I really hope you're right. I'm on the fence. There are certain things I've seen that really bother me. One is how Sam throws unnecessary lasers like he did to Pettis. It makes me feel that Sam tightens up when a simple layup throw is all that's needed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
max said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's one or the other.

It could change.

I hope it does!

Well, if you believe Fisher isn't dolling out a ration of total BS when he said yesterday "Sam is gonna be a good one, trust us", then you'd think he and Snead believe they evaluated Sam accurately. I wonder if he they feel the same about Schotty. And I would be curious to know what Snead thinks of Shotty.

I really hope you're right. I'm on the fence. There are certain things I've seen that really bother me. One is how Sam throws unnecessary lasers like he did to Pettis. It makes me feel that Sam tightens up when a simple layup throw is all that's needed.
Well, I am right. In the sense that nobody failed to evaluate him. What I may or may not be right about is how he fares in his career. But here's the choice I'm making going forward. I'm in his camp for as long as he wears the horns. Good game, bad game, great game, shitty game, I'm getting behind my quarterback until such a time that the coaching staff deems it no longer worth the effort.

Because....

I can't affect change. The only thing I can do by wailing about him is bother other posters. If I think he has a bad game, I think I can comment on that without saying he's washed up, proposing a trade, suggesting he be cut, or comparing him to other QBs. Now I'm not saying nobody has that right either. I'm only saying that I plan on being respectful towards this Franchise (and its players and coaches) until I see actual visual evidence that they're purposefully sabotaging the team. Some may say Schottenheimer is doing that already, but I'm willing to bet my entire life savings and pension that they would sing a completely different tune if they were sitting with him during film study and game planning sessions into the wee hours of the night.

We have a team that's not playing as a team. That's all it is.
When they do, I think we'll all lay witness to what we expected before this season began.