Random draft thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
- Don't force taking a QB in the first. If a QB that you have a good grade on and is there to be had in the first, you take him, if not you pass. In 2011 Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder went in the first to teams that forced QB picks. The Titians passed on Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, and Robert Quinn to get Locker. Those sorts of mistakes lead to bad football. To make matters worse Kaepernick and Dalton went in the second round.

- I prefer pocket passers over the flashy runners everyday. We are seeing how RGIII is struggling in Washington, because he has no clue how to play in the pocket. The Brady, Manning, and Brees types will always be the types that succeed over the years. That's not to say a running QB can't do well, but in the NFL it's the QBs that can see and read the best that do the best.

- Build the offensive like. Greg Robinson looks like he will emerge and be the real deal. The Rams should use the 2015 draft to stock the offensive line with great talent, and there is a plethora of talent to be had. Look how the first round picks in Dallas of Smith, Frederick, and Martin have made their running game almost unstoppable. Demarco Murray is good, but the line makes him elite. The Rams should follow that pattern.

Athos

Legend
- I wouldn't say Hundley is a flashy runner and I only take him late first. Mariota is the only other QB I'd ever take in the first this year, so I think your forcing a QB issues are a bit misplaced, especially if whoever we draft sits a year. Guys like Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder never should have started off the bat, especially on such terrible teams.

- Not really a great pocket QB I can tell this year (again, I want no part of Shaemis Winston).

- Who cares about Kraperdink?

- I hope Winston stays. That'd be incentive for Cook to declare, but the dude really needs another year of ball.

- This QB class sucks. I don't know of a possible 2nd round QB worth their weight other than Hundley or Prescott (though I'm meh on Dak, very meh). I like Petty, but his back issues scare me. And Wallace has the tools, but makes poor decisions. Do we take that risk on Hundley, or do we wait until 2017? (2016s QB class looks like it'll suck even more than this one.) Gunner Kiel is an option if he comes out, but he only has one year of college ball under his belt too.

- Mostly agree about this draft needed to be pretty much all offense in the trenches.

- Bradford at a reduced price is fine, but damned if he gets injured........we either need to draft or draft someone high imo.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It feels more and more like a 2 QB class to me and then some maybes. If we have a shot at one of the 2, then I think we need to take it - even if it means trading up (within reason)

If we miss out on both - then I would solidify O Line, maybe grab one more WR, and roll the dice on Bradford, Hill, and a day 2 prospect.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It feels more and more like a 2 QB class to me and then some maybes. If we have a shot at one of the 2, then I think we need to take it - even if it means trading up (within reason)

If we miss out on both - then I would solidify O Line, maybe grab one more WR, and roll the dice on Bradford, Hill, and a day 2 prospect.
I think things will change come April, but it appears to be a weak class. The only guy I see starting right away is Winston, but he is a mess of the field and you don't want that at QB. Mariota has great talent, but he runs a gimmicky college scheme where he doesn't make reads and throws to wide open receivers. In the NFL he will have to go through reads, stand in the pocket, and run as the last resort. One read and run QBs don't do too well in the NFL. I see Hundley as a poor mans Mariota. I like Cook, I don't think he is ready to jump in and start however.

It really looks like Bradford will be back. We just don't have many other options. Too bad he is injury prone because I think he could be a very good QB. It's just hard to count on the guy though.

Athos

Legend

Yea. Mariota and Hundley seem like the only guys worth drafting before the 3rd. Everyone else is gonna be shooting blanks in a barrel. Just no talent I can see unless you just hit on pure blind luck.

If trading up for Mariota is too rich a deal, and Hundley out of our range (or too risky) I stand pat or trade down and try to get one of the following studs in the 1st. (I think we're now highly likely to end up with 3-4 more wins for 7-8 total, anywhere from 10-15 overall).

Giants need D and pass pro in a bad way.
Carolina needs o-lineman in a bad way. DE too with Hardy out.
Foreskins need D and o-line.
Jets. So many issues who knows.
Titans need D.
Bucs need O-line or QB.
Jags need a back and lineman and CB.
Raiders need lineman, WR, and a RB. I could really seem them nabbing Cooper.

That leaves us with these possibles.

Kevin White - WR
Gordon - RB (entirely possibly, just because of the RBs not being taking high since Richardson. Like Gurley, a one-two point punch with Mason could be lethal. You have BamBam as your short yardage guy, and likely trade away Stacy).
Jaelen Strong - WR (trade down in 1st)
La'el Collins - OT

Don't know too much about the LBs in the 1st this year. I'll defer to others. Wouldn't mind taking one of the other O-Lineman in the 1st in they fall in our laps either.

But it'd be hard to pass up White or Gordon if they are sitting there and all the good QBs are gone.

FRO

Legend
Yea. Mariota and Hundley seem like the only guys worth drafting before the 3rd. Everyone else is gonna be shooting blanks in a barrel. Just no talent I can see unless you just hit on pure blind luck.

If trading up for Mariota is too rich a deal, and Hundley out of our range (or too risky) I stand pat or trade down and try to get one of the following studs in the 1st. (I think we're now highly likely to end up with 3-4 more wins for 7-8 total, anywhere from 10-15 overall).

Giants need D and pass pro in a bad way.
Carolina needs o-lineman in a bad way. DE too with Hardy out.
Foreskins need D and o-line.
Jets. So many issues who knows.
Titans need D.
Bucs need O-line or QB.
Jags need a back and lineman and CB.
Raiders need lineman, WR, and a RB. I could really seem them nabbing Cooper.

That leaves us with these possibles.

Kevin White - WR
Gordon - RB (entirely possibly, just because of the RBs not being taking high since Richardson. Like Gurley, a one-two point punch with Mason could be lethal. You have BamBam as your short yardage guy, and likely trade away Stacy).
Jaelen Strong - WR (trade down in 1st)
La'el Collins - OT

Don't know too much about the LBs in the 1st this year. I'll defer to others. Wouldn't mind taking one of the other O-Lineman in the 1st in they fall in our laps either.

But it'd be hard to pass up White or Gordon if they are sitting there and all the good QBs are gone.
I've been a harsh Quick critic, but this year he was playing very well. He was our best player early on. I like Britt and Bailey going forward. I think their production has been hindered by the QB play. That being said I love White. He reminds me so much of Fitzgerald (probably due to the dreds). He isn't Watkins, but not many are. For me I'm going offensive line early and often. I think we can win with our WRs and TEs. If our defense continues to improve we will win games how we won them Sunday against Denver. Limited mistakes, great defense, great run game. That's Fisher's style. So for me we need to add a bunch of young stud offensive linemen. It worked wonders for Dallas and it will do well for us too. A guy like Collins would be a perfect fit for us. Big athletic and powerful. A guy who can play inside and out. Plug him at LG next to Robinson and run left early and often. It's amazing how easy offense is when you dominate up front.

Athos

Legend
I've been a harsh Quick critic, but this year he was playing very well. He was our best player early on. I like Britt and Bailey going forward. I think their production has been hindered by the QB play.

Rams just seem cursed with injuries are key positions, so I think depth at playmaking positions is integral. Love Britt and we need to re-sign him but he seems to get dinged up and takes himself out of games more often than I like. Quick emerged imo, but I worry about the shoulder. Pettis is gone. After Quick and Britt......we boast no other big pass catcher but Cook, the TE. White or Strong would be great pieces to have as insurance and as another dangerous weapon. White has crazy hops and enough speed to score anywhere. Love his smarts to know to come back to the QB as well.

A stud inside guard, White/Gordon are my 3 picks for how to spend our first.

FRO

Legend
Rams just seem cursed with injuries are key positions, so I think depth at playmaking positions is integral. Love Britt and we need to re-sign him but he seems to get dinged up and takes himself out of games more often than I like. Quick emerged imo, but I worry about the shoulder. Pettis is gone. After Quick and Britt......we boast no other big pass catcher but Cook, the TE. White or Strong would be great pieces to have as insurance and as another dangerous weapon. White has crazy hops and enough speed to score anywhere. Love his smarts to know to come back to the QB as well.

A stud inside guard, White/Gordon are my 3 picks for how to spend our first.
I wouldn't mind trading down in the first adding more picks and getting a good developmental WR in the second or third. Again I would love to have White. He is a great WR, I just want to see us have a great line once and for all.

Athos

Legend
I wouldn't mind trading down in the first adding more picks and getting a good developmental WR in the second or third. Again I would love to have White. He is a great WR, I just want to see us have a great line once and for all.

Could see this. I wouldn't mind the trade down and limit the risk of drafting DGB. Maybe WR mentors like Quick and Britt and guys like Sam and a coach like Fisher could help break through. He hasn't totally fucked himself over and he has pro-bowl talent.

FRO

Legend
Could see this. I wouldn't mind the trade down and limit the risk of drafting DGB. Maybe WR mentors like Quick and Britt and guys like Sam and a coach like Fisher could help break through. He hasn't totally fucked himself over and he has pro-bowl talent.
Exactly. He would definitely be a guy I took a chance on. It's a swing for the fences, either a HR or a massive strikeout, but a chance worth taking.

Rams0307

The only QB's I'd draft at this point are Winston, Mariota, and Mannion. I don't know what to make of Hundley and I don't think Cook will declare, so I'm not going to worry about him unless he changes his mind. I wouldn't touch Prescott or Petty. This is a really good WR class at the top of the draft, so I wouldn't mind drafting any of these studs, but this draft is about the QB and OL.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hard to say at this point - at this point last year I'd have laughed at anyone telling me that Bortles would be the #1 QB in last years class.

For me if you are going to draft a QB its Winston #1, Mariota #2 If you don't get either one of those guys (and it doesn't look like we will) - then go in a different direction.

People have mentioned trading for Manziel assuming Cleveland decides to stick with Hoyer into the future. I like this plan a lot more than I suspect most Rams fans do. He has a years worth of NFL study under his belt - even if its not in our system.

People have also mentioned seeing what it would take to get RGIII. Its been ugly since the injury but I'd be interested at the right price in seeing if a fresh start is all he needs.

Going in with Bradford plus RGIII or Bradford plus Manziel or Bradford plus a mid round draft doesn't sound so bad to me. But I'd rather just go get Winston.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I think we have to wait and see what Hill and the team accomplish. If he shows the ability to move the ball while also avoiding the turnovers that were absolute killers in the first half in the season, then I think the Rams are looking more to draft a developmental QB than a potential first year starter(though reading here, there don't seem to be many to be found in either mold in this draft.)

Also, does anyone have thoughts on Tevin Coleman from Indiana? He seems to be a dominating running back on an otherwise talent devoid team. He also has good size, which would differentiate him from the other backs on the Rams. Either that or is he running behind any stud linemen allowing to him to thrive? The Gurley thread prompted that thought, if we were looking for other difference makers for Fisher's predilection of winning while inflicting pain.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
While there are some stud RBs in this upcoming draft (and it is loaded) - I really think that's a position to avoid, especially early. It's the one position where we are 4 quality players deep plus a special framer who can fill in as the 5th. And better yet, they are all cheap.

Athos

Legend
One mistake all night in the first half for Hundley.

15/19 for 201 yards and 3 TDs.

Pretty good I'd say. I didn't get a chance to watch the first QTR though. Thoughts so far @jrry32 @FRO ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Pretty good I'd say. I didn't get a chance to watch the first QTR though. Thoughts so far @jrry32 @FRO ?

Other than the pick 6, he looks quite good. His O-Line isn't great, but he's getting the ball off pretty well. Has had pretty bad field position for much of the 1'st half, ... that UCLA punter sucks. Over 200 yard passing on 15 out of 19 attempts and 3 TD's in first half isn't too shabby.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haven't focused like I should have. Been distracted but it's seemed like he's thrown a lot of successful screens where his WRs picked up a ton of YAC and had a couple WRs wide open for big plays(two of the TDs). But I did see some impressive throws like the one over the shoulder to Duarte. However, that pick six is always tough to swallow. Flat out misread the coverage.

Have also noticed him drop his eyes a few times but has done better in that regard.

FRO

Legend

Not bad at all. A lot of the completions weren't all that difficult to make. A lot of short sideways passes and shorter routes. That's the scheme though. The talent is definitely there. He wouldn't be a bad first round pick.

Athos

Legend
I'm mainly hoping for extra stat compilation from secondroundstats.com to know his completion against the blitz, etc.

Haven't seen the guy active since last year though. Hope that changes when the season closes.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

One thing that stood out for me was his pocket presence. He did a great job finding a safe throwing lane. The best I've seen from him this year. Granted I've only had the chance to see 4 or 5 games.