Ramsey vs Rapp?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was quite shocked at the altercation at first glance. But honestly I like a little passion out of my players. I like accountability in my team leaders. I like some grit and toughness out of my D.

Could it have been handled better? Absolutely.

Was it effective? We will surely find out.

We gotta put our big boy pants on gentlemen, the ‘niners are calling. We have to set the tone. We have to be bad asses. We have to punch them in the mouth! Go Rams!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
according to your understanding of keys ,are you saying that reeder was supposed to follow huntley,
regardless of where the ball is?
No.

But I am saying getting a clear view of who has it in the time you suggest is not realistic.

I'm also saying the Rams defense had the numbers to stop the play where it was run, but didn't execute.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As @Ramit mentioned, and for those of you that do not subscribe to the Athletic.... Jourdan does an AMAZING piece on Jalen Ramsey that is worth the yearly subscription in itself. I HIGHLY recommend subscribing to that site. The cost is minimal and far worth the amount of content you get there. Jourdan Rodrigue deserves a pulitzer for that article alone, haha. Good good stuff.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
it looked like reeder fell hook, line and sinker for the jet sweep.

That's my point exactly. And what's so bad is the jet sprint was nowhere near the QB and
had passed the center at the snap, so there was no chance of a direct snap.
If you freeze it at the snap you can see reeder isn't even looking at the ball
he is looking at the quick motion guy.
I have no idea what he was thinking.
I am not saying that the play was reeder primary responsibility.
I am just amazed at how poorly he read the hand off that happened right in front
of his face.

oldnotdead

Legend
Rapp is a SS but Morris keeps playing him more of a FS with his cover 2 look. Ramsey has a tendency to leave his coverage to try to jump another receiver because of how he reads the play. There have been some times when Ramsey has guessed wrong assuming the deep safety would pick up his slack. The whole idea of Jalen in a specific matchup is to allow the safeties to focus on other WRs. Dropping the coverage exposes the deep coverage. Marcus Peters was notorious for playing like that. That said Ramsey is much better in his reads than Marcus was. Rapp may have said something about that aspect of how Jalen plays.

I think the media is the one blowing it all out of proportion. The Rams have 2 players in Rapp and Ramsey who play with passion and intensity. Things happen during a game and I would worry more if the emotional intensity wasn't there.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I'm also saying the Rams defense had the numbers to stop the play where it was run, but didn't execute.
The defense is unbalanced, strong left, without a OLB on the weak side.

But I am saying getting a clear view of who has it in the time you suggest is not realistic.
This is laughable. Anyone who has ever been on a football field knows that because the QB is
in shotgun and handing the ball off in front of himself, that from reeder's position it would be
very visible. If you freeze it at the snap you see reeder's eyes are watching the jet sprint player.

Why? I have no idea because the motion guy is past the center at the snap, which rules out a direct snap
to the motion guy. Reeder is not even looking toward the QB at the handoff. WTF????????????????

I want you to go back and watch Marquise Copeland.
Marquise Copeland has one of the worst vantage points of anyone on the field.
AND is lined up all the way on the opposite side of the field in a Three Point Stance
How does he almost make a tackle on the runner before reeder even knows where the freaking ball is?

Your defense of reeder on this play is laughable. I'm not saying that this play is 100% on him
What I am discouraged by is his complete lack of any kind of awareness or instincts on this play.
I won't debate this any longer because it would be useless to do so.
Because if you don't see his complete lack of awareness and instincts on this play , you never will.

View: https://youtu.be/UJJMRwp0LzM?t=556

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is laughable. Anyone who has ever been on a football field knows that because the QB is
in shotgun and handing the ball off in front of himself, that from reeder's position it would be
very visible. If you freeze it at the snap you see reeder's eyes are watching the jet sprint player.

Why? I have no idea because the motion guy is past the center at the snap, which rules out a direct snap
to the motion guy. Reeder is not even looking toward the QB at the handoff. WTF????????????????

AND is lined up all the way on the opposite side of the field in a Three Point Stance
How does he almost make a tackle on the runner before reeder even knows where the freaking ball is?

Your defense of reeder on this play is laughable. I'm not saying that this play is 100% on him
What I am discouraged by is his complete lack of any kind of awareness or instincts on this play.
Because if you don't see his complete lack of awareness and instincts on this play , you never will.

the qb had the ball in the rb's hands before the wr even crossed their path. so the two options were the rb running or the qb holding it and running.

reeder followed the wr.

9:15 minute mark of the video.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
the qb had the ball in the rb's hands before the wr even crossed their path. so the two options were the rb running or the qb holding it and running.

reeder followed the wr.

9:15 minute mark of the video.

You're right. Either way- not good

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's my point exactly. And what's so bad is the jet sprint was nowhere near the QB and
had passed the center at the snap, so there was no chance of a direct snap.
If you freeze it at the snap you can see reeder isn't even looking at the ball
he is looking at the quick motion guy.
I have no idea what he was thinking.
I am not saying that the play was reeder primary responsibility.
I am just amazed at how poorly he read the hand off that happened right in front
of his face.
Yeah and I think that handoff perfectly illustrates the value of Jones. Who has said he studies tape and tbh it shows in his anticipation and reading of things. As a rook out there at this level making reads like he is, this guy has it upstairs. No doubt about it in my mind, they hit on him as long as he can stay healthy which we'll see.

I don't think Reeder is bad btw. I think he's an almost-starter. And when that dude aggressively fills he usually makes a play. So he's a good physical inside backer, the key with him is limiting how often he ends up in coverage call-wise, which means not putting him out there on passing downs. If it's a quick drop and get in the way type call he's fine too. Just don't put him in a position where he has to man up, his change of direction makes most backs a mismatch. Also will say again that if I'm him I would lose about 10 lbs. I think he'd be much less a liability vs the pass if he was lighter.

Oh and back to Jones... Losing him was a huge hit for how we'll match up with the 9ers. I was really looking forward to seeing him make things look a lot different underneath vs their bullshit. What a damn bummer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There is an extremely good article on The Athletic by Jordan Rodrigue about Ramsey. I recommend 10/10.
I'm actually considering a subscription just to read that very article.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

At the 9:28 second mark, watch elite Ramsey's coverage on what would be a 4th string receiver on our team. Watch him just let the slant route happen, and then NOT go for a tackle. Geez!

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
At the 9:28 second mark, watch elite Ramsey's coverage on what would be a 4th string receiver on our team. Watch him just let the slant route happen, and then NOT go for a tackle. Geez!
Not sure what he's doing unless he was gonna try to sneak in and peanut punch the ball loose.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Wait.. you're not blaming it on him... after blaming it on him?

Team game, dude.. your obsession with showing how bad a guy is... even when a play isn't his fault.. is funny.

My defense is pretty simple.. it's an RPO and Reeder is obviously tasked with mirroring Huntley on that.

Your Copeland comparison shows just how far you've drifted from reality. I just froze it... Copeland literally has an unobstructed view, right at Huntley and Freeman as the ball is released. The view from behind the center shows that Reeder is literally blocked by four players.

It's clear as day and anyone objectively looking at this can see that Reeder is blocked.

I am not arguing something big picture about Reeder.. I'm not arguing that he's good.. I'm pointing out what happened on that play.

I don't care if you'll debate, because there's nothing to debate when someone won't look at what's right in front of them.

Good players get frozen by the RPO game at times... that's one of the reasons that teams run the play.. because it works.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd like to see some Rapp high-fives during the game after he makes some key plays.
McVay said he and Gaines made the defensive play of the game against Baltimore.
Rapp has major warts in his game but I never doubt his effort.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd like to see some Rapp high-fives during the game after he makes some key plays.
I would like to see Jalen Ramsey pick up Taylor Rapp and carry him off the field on his shoulders after Rapp balls out in the Superbowl and wins the game with a pick 6.....

I'm not really a big fan of Rapp's game..... he's O.K. ...... but I'll be happy to become his biggest cheerleader if he manages to make a difference in these playoffs...