Rams Wise to Look Ahead to 2016 Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner says the franchise, which could face a whirlwind offseason in 2016, will want to get a head start on keeping players such as defensive tackle Michael Brockers off the free-agent market. The Rams have up to 16 players who will be unrestricted free agents in 2016.

Watch Wagoner Talk Rams 2016 Free Agents

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Micheal Brockers is not a 2016 free agent. Rams signed his 5'th year option a few weeks back.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, they might sit on Brockers right now.

But, it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to rollover some cap into 2016 to help with the pending FA. Renegotiating as part of extension for Chris Long might be in the cards too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, they might sit on Brockers right now.

But, it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to rollover some cap into 2016 to help with the pending FA. Renegotiating as part of extension for Chris Long might be in the cards too.

I think they are going to redo a couple of deals and stay as far under the cap as they can this year to have as much rollover as possible.

Next year the cap goes up of course and it is supposed to take a really big jump in 2016 so if they structure contracts well they can get most of the guys they want back.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think they are going to redo a couple of deals and stay as far under the cap as they can this year to have as much rollover as possible.

Next year the cap goes up of course and it is supposed to take a really big jump in 2016 so if they structure contracts well they can get most of the guys they want back.

You could be right.

One thing is for certain; KD is on it! (y)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From Wagoner's Brockers Article--

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...chael-brockers-hopeful-for-long-term-contract

Brockers' representatives and the Rams have engaged in some initial conversations about a deal, but nothing appears imminent.

So even though Brockers is locked up through 2016 they may want to sign him to a long term extension before then.....and it sounds like they are thinking that way. A long term contract would probably have a lower 2016 cap number than the $6.1 mil they would pay him under the 5th year option. That could help them sign another player they want to keep.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From Wagoner's Brockers Article--

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...chael-brockers-hopeful-for-long-term-contract

Brockers' representatives and the Rams have engaged in some initial conversations about a deal, but nothing appears imminent.

So even though Brockers is locked up through 2016 they may want to sign him to a long term extension before then.....and it sounds like they are thinking that way. A long term contract would probably have a lower 2016 cap number than the $6.1 mil they would pay him under the 5th year option. That could help them sign another player they want to keep.

* like *

RamzFanz

Damnit
Micheal Brockers is not a 2016 free agent. Rams signed his 5'th year option a few weeks back.

You can't expect Wagoner to keep up with the Rams with all of his team reporting responsibilities.

Besides, he has to work on being dismissive and negative, where will he find the time?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to see Brockers resigned/extended for about $5-6 million a year. He's IMHO a very underrated piece of that DLine we all love so much. But the next couple of years are going to show exactly what kind of FO we have. They've drafted well and rebuilt the team. Now it's time to examine our own free agents and decide who's worth it and who can be replaced in the draft or free agency. This is a unique situation for us Rams fans! Previous regimes sucked so bad at drafting that our picks rarely stuck with the team long enough to get a second contract!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Jenkins will be the next long term deal - and I expect it to happen before the season begins. They may let Brockers and Fairley compete a bit this year to see which one gets the big contract.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You could be right.

One thing is for certain; KD is on it! (y)

I agree he will be on it, he seems to be meticulous about managing the cap and he also seems to have a really good knowledge of the wrinkles and intricacies. Case in point, the Laurinaitis contract at the time seemed like way to much and maybe up front it was, but it's turned out to be really cap friendly as we learned the details over time.

I think he will redo a couple of deals, but now that I say that I went and took a peek and there really aren't a lot of big deals to restructure other than Long and Quinn and I don't think Quinn is eligible to redo his deal I think you have to wait two years. He may have to redo a few midrange guys to free up a little space. Thankfully the cap is jumping way up in the next two years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jenkins will be the next long term deal - and I expect it to happen before the season begins. They may let Brockers and Fairley compete a bit this year to see which one gets the big contract.

I'm of the thought that Fairley will not do well in fulfilling the Brockers responsibilities in the overall base defensive scheme. Fairley's game is mostly in the pass rush but will be an outstanding back up to the Aaron Donald post & what that position demands.

I really do not see a true back up to the NT Brockers post myself. Do you?

That's the biggest hole in our defense now! If Brockers were to miss many games this defense would not be the same by a wide margin.

IMO for Fairley to get that very big Ram contract early next yr he must prove he can be what Kendall Langford was ...able to fill in @ both interior positions without a drop off in performance.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As another poster said....2016 is when Kevin D. will really earn his money...
I think between Kevin and Snisher they will take good care of things! (I always Loved drinking Kool-Aid!)

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Looks like you have set up some future 2016 Ram Draft posts in ref. to the above. Yes MB plays a very big role in enabling this DL frighting with its stars (Robert & Donald). But as you pointed out in you post a very good NT prospect in 2016 should get much attention with the Ram Org.

Interesting smart way to put it.....Componets
.....could be a noun in this case a constituent part; element; ingredients of our defense line.

or could also be adjective, whereas serving as an elements (in something larger); composing; constituent

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I see no hurry to rid ourselves of Brockers, ... good DT's often require a few years to prove their true value. We gave up on Pickett too early, i'd rather not repeat that. He's fairly cheap this year and may be extended prior to 2016. jmo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Why dump a guy who is a proven NFL starter and a good one to draft a guy in the second that may not be as good, or even any good.

That's a bad use of human resources, not everyone is going to be elite. Guys like Brockers up front make a difference by not effing up too. They need to keep him.