Rams Wise to Look Ahead to 2016 Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Why dump a guy who is a proven NFL starter and a good one to draft a guy in the second that may not be as good, or even any good.

That's a bad use of human resources, not everyone is going to be elite. Guys like Brockers up front make a difference by not effing up too. They need to keep him.

Agreed, he's the reason why Quinn, Donald, and Long are effective. Saying he's replaceable is easier said than done and I'm sure he won't sign a ludicrous contract with us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I understand many refuse to look pass what is in the immediate future. That's just the way most folks fun but others folks find it fun & can & do look further on down the road. You never know my favorite DL may desire a role much different than the one he has been forced into here @ StLouis. I would bet he will be asking for a much bigger contract than what many here think.

Thus it may be Brockers himself that dumps himself off this Rams team after winning the SB as the 2016 season concludes.

I would bet NT's listed below will be on our Rams Scouts main list this upcoming NCAA season. I figure it would be very smart & prudent to prepare for the time that Brockers is not starting. Finding a solid NT prospect in 2016 is just too plain smart not to do.

Mo Latu 6-2-390
Melvin Lewis 6-3 342
Gerald Dixon 6-3 325
Phillip Dukes 6-3 324
Chris Mayer 6-3 323
Aj Bowen 6-1 320

lockdnram21

Legend
Agreed, he's the reason why Quinn, Donald, and Long are effective. Saying he's replaceable is easier said than done and I'm sure he won't sign a ludicrous contract with us.
Long should be the one we replace with that contract he has. i could really see us picking a defense end early next year especially if long want take a pay cut

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just wanted to add this...It's early...But still, we should all have a clue who we need to re-sign...The biggest name for me remains Foles....I like so many of the 2016 QB class....sure a bunch of worse teams do too....I'd wait....at least see how he does after the first 5 games (esp. that Packers game).....Perfect scenario would be around mid-season and we're sitting at 9-1....
Link

There are a handful of notable players on the St. Louis Rams roster that are headed for free agency once the 2015 season concludes. As with any young team, it’s important to keep the right pieces in place for the right amount of money. However, it can be a daunting task separating the cream from the crop. For some, that impact will be on the field. For others, their biggest impact will be their departure. Remaining free agents of note will be listed at the bottom of the article.

Nick Foles, Quarterback: 2015 cap hit, $1.5 million

A lot of interest has been expressed by St. Louis to begin working out a deal with the newly acquired quarterback since the beginning of OTAs. He is currently playing out the final year of his rookie contract that he signed when the Philadelphia Eagles drafted him in 2012. Obviously, as the situation sits now, the Rams could be getting the next big thing at quarterback for far less than the going rate. However, we can’t expect it to stay like that forever. Foles has proven himself as a starting quarterback in this league and sometimes that’s all it takes to have a team open up the vault (i.e. Josh McCown). If St. Louis can bag Foles long-term, prior to the season starting, on a team friendly contract, then we should consider that a success. If he plays out the 2015 season without a new deal, and tears the top off of the offense, than St. Louis could be shooting themselves in the foot.

What should the Rams do? Re-sign (for the right terms!)

Nick Fairley, Defensive Tackle: 2015 cap hit, $4.7 million

Fairly arrived in St. Louis from Detroit, where he was drafted 13th overall but the Lions in 2011. Fairley struggled to stay healthy, struggled with his weight and because of that his play suffered. He was effective when he was on the field, but couldn’t quite find the consistency needed to become a mainstay. He signed a one-year deal with the Rams this off season on the very definition of a “prove it” contract. Fairly will provide relief in the middle for pro-bowler Aaron Donald, and former first round pick Michael Brockers. There have been some rumblings that Fairley may compete for a starting role in the front four in St. Louis, but would need to dethrone either Brockers, or Donald to do so. Rams fans will need to wait and see how this one plays out in training camp and preseason, when Fairley will see most of his reps.

What should the Rams do? Re-Sign

William Hayes, Defensive End: 2015 cap hit, $4.4 million

Hayes is entering the final year of a three-year deal he signed back in 2012 that will pay him $3.1 million in base salary alone this year. He was rewarded with such a deal after finishing third on the team in sacks that year with seven. Since then Hayes has posted nine total sacks. Five in 2013 and four last year. The seven sacks were a career high, but nevertheless his production has decreased. Hayes is not considered a starter on the current roster, and with Robert Quinn under contract until 2019, and Chris Long under contract until the end of 2016, there won’t be any changing of rank on the edges. Hayes adds nice depth and experience, but whether he stays or goes will make no difference to the success of failure of this team.

What should the Rams do? Let him walk

Mark Barron, Safety: 2015 cap hit, $2.3 million

Barron was acquired from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last year via trade that sent two draft picks over to the Bucs. These included a fourth and a sixth round pick in this past draft. Barron was a top ten pick for Tampa Bay in the 2012 draft. He was a very highly rated defensive back in college and became the highest such player drafted out of Alabama. He started his pro career off with a bang, including taking his first career interception back to the house for six against the New England Patriots. Barron trailed off as the year wore on and was traded in October of 2014. The Rams have needed help in the secondary for quite some time. Opposing teams average almost 250 yards through the air on the Rams defense. They have ranked 19th in passing defense for two consecutive years. Barron will add some punch to the defensive backs unit in St. Louis and should provide great relief and rotation play in the future.

What should the Rams do? Re-Sign

Remaining free agents of note:

Rodney Mcleod, Safety: 2015 cap hit, $2.3 million. The Rams should re-sign McLeod. Please note McLeod will be a restricted free agent in 2016.

Brian Quick, Wide Receiver: 2015 cap hit, $1.7 million. The Rams should let him walk without serious improvement. (seriously don't get all the Quick hate...)

Trumaine Johnson, Cornerback: 2015 cap hit, $1.7 million. The Rams should explore other options.

Chris Givens, Wide Receiver: 2015 cap hit, $1.6 million. The Rams should let him walk without serious improvement.

Janoris Jenkins, Cornerback: 2015 cap hit, $1.5 million. The Rams should re-sign Jenkins.

*Not all 2016 free agents listed here. Check out the full list here:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The tone of the off season will be set by what happens with Foles. Till that's settled it's hard to predict who else stays or has to go.
Best case is Foles is lights out and they have to pay him. Lights out costs $$$$$$$$$$$, but it's also conf. championship game at the least.

So count me in on making Foles rich.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Rodney Mcleod, Safety: 2015 cap hit, $2.3 million. The Rams should re-sign McLeod. Please note McLeod will be a restricted free agent in 2016.

McLeod will be a free agent next year. He was a restricted FA this year.

It is interesting that the Rams have a lot positional combos becoming eligible for free agency in 2016.

Foles and Kenum/Davis: Extending Foles is the key to all of the other FA moves. If they lose him or he plays poorly then they will have to look to the draft or maybe bring back Bradford (JK). If they are able to extend Foles and Mannion progresses well then the survivor of the this year's Kenum-Davis camp battle could be expendable in 2016.

Quick and Givens: If Quick's shoulder is not a long term issue they need to keep him and let Givens (if he makes onto this year's roster) walk. I do not see the Rams letting Quick go if he picks up where he left off last year unless he is demanding Dez Bryant $$$.

Hayes and Simms: It will be a hard decision on Hayes. He brings great leadership to the Locker room and I think he is an above average rotational end but he may be aging out. If some team thinks Simms could be their starter then he is gone for sure.

Jenkins and Johnson: I still worry that giving Jenkins a big contract could backfire as I think he still presents a risk due to off field issues. If Johnson looses out to Gaines as the starter he may choose to go elsewhere in 2016.

Mcleod and Barron: Even though Barron is more of a SS losing both could create a hole on the backend. If Bryant and/or Davis emerges then Mcleod may become expendable and if Alexander progresses it would greatly lessen the loss of Barron.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
Good to hear people recognizing Brockers' value. The Rams are extremely small without him. All these guys are worth keeping at the right price. I would prioritize Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Foles, and Barron in that order. Everyone else would be a luxury that's replaceable through the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I had to prioritize:

Foles
Brockers
Quick
Trumaine
Barron

And honestly I'm not sure we'll have much left after that.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
McLeod has a lot of backing by this coaching staff, I believe I saw GW refer to him as a QB along with Laurinaitis. And don't forget that Tru has ties to the staff as well. I believe he went to school with Fisher's son and that was a big reason they drafted him.
He's still got potential, and either way, secondary depth is probably as important as depth along the oline. Lest we forget 2011 when we were bringing in street FAs.