Rams will give Tavon Austin 'a break' from punt returns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And apples are different than oranges.

One actually is a decent WR .

Copper Kupp came in for punts after TA's fumble. McVay & Goff were trying to keep the me's happy for we. I think Sammy Watkins might be gone at the end of the season.

Quinn will be gone as well. He looks lost in this 3/4 defense.

Tavon is a player that might last another season ? He needs to play better though.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am a huge Austin fan and defender. A big reason for that is because he can be a huge weapon as a punt returner. But lately, he's been a nightmare back there. I was glad McVay took him out of that role in the Seattle game because Tavon was hurting us tremendously putting the ball on the ground non stop.

Hopefully Ausin bounces back soon. He has never been this bad fielding punts, at any level, so I have no doubt it's a mental thing. After fumbling a few punts now, he's probably lost some confidence and is over thinking things out there. Which will lead to more fumbles. It's a snowball effect. Hopefully he gets it together soon.

WvuIN02

Starter
Yea catching punts as far as I know isnt any different in college and he didnt fumble then, it has to be in his head but you just cant turn the ball over on a punt ever so its 100% the right call. That said, him being in the game changes how teams defend the Rams without a doubt though, as he is still a threat to take it to the house (as we saw vs Seattle). He takes guys out of the box vs Gurley and that sweep is something they have to account for even if its just a ruse.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Is Austin's money guaranteed? Because I don't see how is worth the $40M. Sure he had a touchdown run but other negatives outweigh that run. He is undersized for a running back, has terrible hands on punt returns etc. etc.

Watch out brother.
I raised this issue not long ago, and am still spraying a fire extinguisher on my A$$. LOL

fearsomefour

Legend
One actually is a decent WR .

Copper Kupp came in for punts after TA's fumble. McVay & Goff were trying to keep the me's happy for we. I think Sammy Watkins might be gone at the end of the season.

Quinn will be gone as well. He looks lost in this 3/4 defense.

Tavon is a player that might last another season ? He needs to play better though.
There isent much of a savings letting Tavon go.
Watkins big wait and see I guess. They have potential depth there. Watkins didn't do anything on Sunday and looked to be blanketed when Goff did go his direction. That's ok, not every week is gonna be a huge week.
Woukd like to see Austin get the ball on crosses etc....but he may just not be able comparative to other guys on the roster.
Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper....a lot of
Guys there to potentially compliment Woods and Kupp if Watkins is not retained.
Wait and see how the rest of the year goes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
leave-britney-alone.jpg

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I just wish that if they are going to continue using him they would use him as the unique weapon he is and don't just line him up in the backfield and do a simple run play. Do things like him at rb and go empty. Or Gurley at wr and tavon at rb to try and get mismatches. Maybe even some wildcat. Just something other than decoy on jet sweeps and simple handoffs as a rb

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There isent much of a savings letting Tavon go.
Watkins big wait and see I guess. They have potential depth there. Watkins didn't do anything on Sunday and looked to be blanketed when Goff did go his direction. That's ok, not every week is gonna be a huge week.
Woukd like to see Austin get the ball on crosses etc....but he may just not be able comparative to other guys on the roster.
Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper....a lot of
Guys there to potentially compliment Woods and Kupp if Watkins is not retained.
Wait and see how the rest of the year goes.

Agreed there is a lot of depth at WR right now. It looks like The Rams drafted well at the position.

Would rather Brown taking more carries than Tavon. Dunbar will be back soon as well. The Rams are going to continue to grow.

The Rams are in good shape with Jared Goff. The core is around him, & McVay will make sure this Rams organization will be in good shape for years.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Give Austin a Break! He had a weird game! Remember week #2 Woods totally cost us that game. Next week, he busts loose for a 106 yard game! Austin could do the same thing! This is a "We not me Team"!
We lost a game, we should have Won, Next up Jags!
A weird game? This is not his first fumble or huge mistake on special teams

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-10-10_9-6-13.png

Tavon Austin recovered this muffed punt in Sunday's first quarter, but later in the game he lost one to the Seahawks. Robert Hanashiro/USA TODAY Sports

Rams will give Tavon Austin 'a break' from punt returns
7:00 AM ET
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- First-year head coach Sean McVay said Sunday the Los Angeles Rams are going to give Tavon Austin "a break" from returning punts. He can use one.

"I'm a little scarred up right now," Austin said after Sunday's 16-10 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. "Never going to make excuses. Just gotta keep working at it day in and day out, hoping I get it back when I'm feeling more comfortable catching the ball back there."

Austin has already muffed four punts this season, and three were recovered by the opposing team. He did it in the opener against the Indianapolis Colts, on Thursday Night Football against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 3 and, most recently, in a tough defeat against a heated division rival on Sunday.

Austin muffed two punts against the Seahawks at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. He dropped the first punt of the game but recovered at the Rams' 38-yard line. McVay replaced Austin with Kupp for the second punt, then went back to Austin for the third, which came shortly after Austin's 27-yard touchdown run. Austin dropped that one, too, allowing the Seahawks to recover at the Rams' 30-yard line. Kupp was back there for the Seahawks' last three punts, none of which were returned.

Austin said Sunday that the muffed punts are "a mental thing," but McVay also brought up Austin's left wrist, which was surgically repaired in the spring. "What you appreciate about Tavon is he's not going to make any excuses," McVay said. "He's got to field the punts better than that, more consistently in terms of being able to track it, and he's going to continue to work on that in practice and try to improve moving forward."

McVay added that Austin will "continue to remain a big part of our offense." Austin is basically the fourth receiver on the Rams depth chart, despite taking up close to $15 million toward their salary cap. But the Rams have found use for him out of the backfield, where he has 20 carries for 108 yards. McVay was initially hoping Austin could establish himself as a vertical threat in his offense, but the Sammy Watkins acquisition eliminated that need.

Now he won't be contributing in one of his strongest areas.

"I'm true to myself, and I understand what's going on," Austin said. "I know what's up with me. I did this for four or five years; I probably had two muffs. So it's just a mental thing for me. I just have to keep getting better and better, and I'll be all right."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Had to make this change and I would go with Kupp just because I trust his hands more than Cooper, Austin never had this issue until this year, it's amazing, but I guess it's like anything else a Kicker losing confidence or a golf swing, at this point, I'm glad Austin won't be returning punts, but hopeful he can regain that aspect of his game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mental or not, muffing punts and turning the ball over close to your own goal line once or twice every game is unacceptable. Its not something you can just "play through". Muffing punts will lose games.

Next up, Kupp.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he can't return punts and he isn't really a WR. He's a five foot nothing RB, I guess...A gadget guy who can't do all of the gadget plays anymore...Tell me why we need him again?

Thank God that Fisher isn't coach anymore, because Austin would receive 50 Punts with 40 fumbles and maybe 1-2 returns for TD's....no matter what.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had to make this change and I would go with Kupp just because I trust his hands more than Cooper, Austin never had this issue until this year, it's amazing, but I guess it's like anything else a Kicker losing confidence or a golf swing, at this point, I'm glad Austin won't be returning punts, but hopeful he can regain that aspect of his game.
For some reason, I thought he had more of a history of the muffs... could be wrong... not sure where to find those stats.

Regardless, I think he's regressed over the years on those returns anyway... seemed like his first two years, he ran back quite a few (only to have them nullified by penalties).

But lately, seems like he was just running sideways on returns a lot...

So, not sure we're missing much with taking him away from those duties.

I think his overall confidence may be shaken, with the coaching changes and more emphasis on accountability. Now this.

It's easy to help him get confidence back on returns... just put him back there when the Rams have a nice lead later in the game and, if he muffs, it won't kill them. Of course, there's less stress on him under those conditions, but it's a place to start.

Overall, I'm ambivalent about putting him back there at all... like I said, I see too much running sideways lately.

We'll see...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hope Austin can take a hint.

It's not a break. He's done.

By the way there's nothing wrong with Pharaoh Cooper's hands.
He has caught every kickoff he decided to catch.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So he can't return punts and he isn't really a WR. He's a five foot nothing RB, I guess...A gadget guy who can't do all of the gadget plays anymore...Tell me why we need him again?

Thank God that Fisher isn't coach anymore, because Austin would receive 50 Punts with 40 fumbles and maybe 1-2 returns for TD's....no matter what.
Oh my gosh here we go again.
Criticizing Tavon for no reason.
My eyes are rolling around in my head and they won't stop rolling.
We only gave up two high draft picks for the guy.
He's only being overpaid about 9 million a year for his production.

Get off the guys back because he could break loose any moment.
He's so fast that I would use him in a 4x400 relay
He's going to have a breakout game at any moment.

IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I'm a little scarred up right now," Austin said after Sunday's 16-10 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. "Never going to make excuses. Just gotta keep working at it day in and day out, hoping I get it back when I'm feeling more comfortable catching the ball back there."

"I'm true to myself, and I understand what's going on," Austin said. "I know what's up with me. I did this for four or five years; I probably had two muffs. So it's just a mental thing for me. I just have to keep getting better and better, and I'll be all right."
I have never heard of a player come out and talk quite like this about his play. I hope he gets his Mojo back!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I will never watch him field another punt.

If they decide to put him back out there to return one... I'll be forced to leave the room and turn the sound off. I don't want to see or hear another muff from TA. EVER.

His lack of mental concentration is going to get him tossed out of the league.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not all come from the wrist surgery - mentally favouring the other hand, trying not to re-injur the wrist. I's not become a problem... "I can't muff this punt, I must not muff this punt. If I do the ROD forum will be baying for my testicles on a stick..." enter muffed punt...

It looks like the guy knows its a mental problem, get a sports psych in there and get it sorted...

I'm not sure why you guys are out for him all of the time - his salary is nothing in the grand scheme of things and ancient history now. He is a Ram, lets freakin' root for the to get back into a groove - McVay can use him in this O!!