Rams will give Tavon Austin 'a break' from punt returns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pididdy

UDFA
Name
Paul
Is Austin's money guaranteed? Because I don't see how is worth the $40M. Sure he had a touchdown run but other negatives outweigh that run. He is undersized for a running back, has terrible hands on punt returns etc. etc.

Moderator's note:

@pididdy This thread has been merged with one of the other numerous Tavon Austin threads that cover the same subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
496.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
According to over the cap if the Rams cut Austin they would save $3M in cap space next year. His cap number is $8M, but they woukd save $3M if he is released.
The top possible cut for cap room at this time would be Quinn with a cap savings of $11.4M.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
According to over the cap if the Rams cut Austin they would save $3M in cap space next year. His cap number is $8M, but they woukd save $3M if he is released.
The top possible cut for cap room at this time would be Quinn with a cap savings of $11.4M.

See ya.

I hope Austin gets his shit together & stops being such an enigma. We all know what he's capable of with the ball in his hands. His speed is ridiculous.

I wonder if McVay has any passing plays with Gurley & Austin in the backfield. Seems like it would be perfect for the red zone.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Give Austin a Break! He had a weird game! Remember week #2 Woods totally cost us that game. Next week, he busts loose for a 106 yard game! Austin could do the same thing! This is a "We not me Team"!
We lost a game, we should have Won, Next up Jags!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyreek Hill makes $540,000 . Just saying

Psycho_X

Legend
If he wasn't a liability on punt returns suddenly I'd be ok with paying him the money because he does make plays happen even when he isn't getting the stats. And being able to break one at any time on a return is a bonus added in. But suddenly you become a liability returning punts you are just giving points back to the other team nullifying whatever good you might be causing at other times. Turnovers have lost us our two games. And most of them have been easily avoidable. You can't be a good team and in the playoffs when you muff punt returns, stare down a WR and throw an interception, fumble the ball at the one yard line and lose possession, etc. The team is on the cusp of greatness but they are getting in their own way.

fearsomefour

Legend
See ya.

I hope Austin gets his crap together & stops being such an enigma. We all know what he's capable of with the ball in his hands. His speed is ridiculous.

I wonder if McVay has any passing plays with Gurley & Austin in the backfield. Seems like it would be perfect for the red zone.
Interesting idea.
I still hold out hope he could get him the ball in the passing game.
The team as of now has $61M in cap space for next year. A few big contracts to do and a lot of FA. But, they don't need his $3M in cap space. Especially with $5M in dead money. The one thing he cannot do is muff punts.

fearsomefour

Legend
If he wasn't a liability on punt returns suddenly I'd be ok with paying him the money because he does make plays happen even when he isn't getting the stats. And being able to break one at any time on a return is a bonus added in. But suddenly you become a liability returning punts you are just giving points back to the other team nullifying whatever good you might be causing at other times. Turnovers have lost us our two games. And most of them have been easily avoidable. You can't be a good team and in the playoffs when you muff punt returns, stare down a WR and throw an interception, fumble the ball at the one yard line and lose possession, etc. The team is on the cusp of greatness but they are getting in their own way.
Is this the final bit of growing pain and the. The team has a 5-7 years of contending....or just more of the same?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think Austin restructures his deal next year or he's toast. I want to keep him but at this point he's causing more damage than he is good.

…..

Legend
Tyreek Hill makes $540,000 . Just saying

slot for a 5th round draft pick still on his rookie contract. Hard to compare the two because Tavon is no longer on his rookie contract.

If you want to take it a step further....ALL the Rams WR's make more than Tyreek this year, except for Bradley Marquez, who is on IR and making $13,000 less than him....or $527,000

Last edited:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
slot for a 5th round draft pick still on his rookie contract. Hard to compare the two because Tavon is no longer on his rookie contract.
No comparison money wise , but I think Hill is a decisively better punt returner . There's no hesitation when he catches it .

…..

Legend
No comparison money wise , but I think Hill is a decisively better punt returner . There's no hesitation when he catches it .

This last muffed punt looked awful. Tavon was uncomfortable the entire time. Terrible focus. We cannot afford to assume he will fix the problem, can we?

I'm thinking the next best option is Pharoh Cooper or maybe Justin Davis

Will be interesting to see how the rookie coach addresses this issue.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Tavon has lost confidence fielding punts, probably feels the pressure to earn/keep his roster spot. Sure hes safe this year, but hes gotta be thinking if he doesnt produce he may not be so safe next year.