Rams will be looking to address linebacker in draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dexter Coakley?

Okay you're right dammit! But I'd rather someone a little more, should I say, beefy does the linebacking. After Lamarcus matures a little more physically, up and out, I'm all for it, as he seems to have linebacker mentality.
Me Too!

Guess my real point was Wade does have some sneaky options with this new secondary in 2018 when he runs 6 DB's out onto the field. We discussed this many times last season in the chat room on Sundays afternoons where many of us here @ ROD felt that Wade was handcuffed with the 2017 cadre of DB's some of it was due to injuries too.

Joyner's ability to do a little of everything shows the true value of the so called safety. No doubt lead to his tagging for the millions he will get. I would never suggest that LJ could be a full time SSLB'er but from time to time he is more than capable as he show'd us in the 2016 season. LJ can play both safety posts, both outside corner posts & cover the slot plus fill in @ LB'er too sure says a lot does it not.

LJ was made to play in this Wade defense IMO & that's the reason the Rams tagged him. He is a natural born leader too. Always undersized LJ plays like a 225 lb strong safety @ under 5-8 190 lbs. But Wade must not really care about shorties because he went out & re-signed dinky mini-might NR-C also under 5-8 & 175 lbs. I am impressed by both of them & it brings a :D to my old sun worn face to think we will have both of them on Sunday this season. I am sure Wade feels the same.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Me Too!

Guess my real point was Wade does have some sneaky options with this new secondary in 2018 when he runs 6 DB's out onto the field. We discussed this many times last season in the chat room on Sundays afternoons where many of us here @ ROD felt that Wade was handcuffed with the 2017 cadre of DB's some of it was due to injuries too.

Joyner's ability to do a little of everything shows the true value of the so called safety. No doubt lead to his tagging for the millions he will get. I would never suggest that LJ could be a full time SSLB'er but from time to time he is more than capable as he show'd us in the 2016 season. LJ can play both safety posts, both outside corner posts & cover the slot plus fill in @ LB'er too sure says a lot does it not.

LJ was made to play in this Wade defense IMO & that's the reason the Rams tagged him. He is a natural born leader too. Always undersized LJ plays like a 225 lb strong safety @ under 5-8 190 lbs. But Wade must not really care about shorties because he went out & re-signed dinky mini-might NR-C also under 5-8 & 175 lbs. I am impressed by both of them & it brings a :D to my old sun worn face to think we will have both of them on Sunday this season. I am sure Wade feels the same.
I think McVay is signing shortles, as you aptly called it, in NRC and BC to go along with LJ, and even keeping TA just to make sure he doesn't develop a complex by his height impairment.

Question, or opinion request if you will.
But I like the idea of maybe JJ, the other safety, as Wade doesn't actually play to the distinction of FS and SS, but using him much in the same way as LJ. Now I realize that LJ is more physical, but I could see JJ, with a year under his belt, of possibly being used in the same way as LJ. Now he did do that somewhat last year, but I'd like to see more of that this year in order to help confuse an offense, on top of what hell Suh, AD, and MB will be putting them through.
So what say you BonifayRam?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think a few decent to good LBers will be found in the 3rd or 4th rounds (maybe later). Our defense is so stacked right now elsewhere, we can afford to not have star LBers..Would love them to be, but our defense will be studly no matter what, imo.

Its not like we don not have some decent LB'ers now already signed. Matt Longacre 6-3 255lb held up much better than any of us thought he would. I never thought he would be a good Weak-side edge rushers in a 34 D. I was of the opinion that he would be a rotational DL playing on both sides of whomever was the NT. Matt Longacre show'd me. I sure I was not the only one here either. I have no issues with Matt being the starter @ one of the ER posts. Matt who is 26 yr old has earned the opportunity to start. In truth Matt has just one season of experience as a ER/OLB'er why would he not improve? What about 6-5 250 lbs Carlos Thompson? CT started a gm last season & did OK.

Samson Ebukam should get the chance to start @ the other side. Same as Matt Longacre why would we not expect SB to come into this season ready to replace Conner Barwin? EB started 2 gms & finished 2 others for Barwin & we survived just fine.

The Draft is always stocked full of good 34 D twenners ...college schools produces a ton of ER's very year. It just takes a bit of seasoning to get these usually smaller 43 DE's to learn the extra duties of an NFL 34 DE OLB/ER. Might as well take advantage of what is there in abundance late in the draft.

Our Interior LB'ers of Barron, Wilson, Littleton & Hager is not bad either, Solid, but not flashy. With the DB's we have now we will not see a lot of these interior LB'er's on the field IF they can stop the run????That's the real big question here.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think McVay is signing shortles, as you aptly called it, in NRC and BC to go along with LJ, and even keeping TA just to make sure he doesn't develop a complex by his height impairment.

Question, or opinion request if you will.
But I like the idea of maybe JJ, the other safety, as Wade doesn't actually play to the distinction of FS and SS, but using him much in the same way as LJ. Now I realize that LJ is more physical, but I could see JJ, with a year under his belt, of possibly being used in the same way as LJ. Now he did do that somewhat last year, but I'd like to see more of that this year in order to help confuse an offense, on top of what hell Suh, AD, and MB will be putting them through.
So what say you BonifayRam?

Wade sure go rid of his taller DB's in 6-3 TJ McDonald & the 6-2 Trumaine Johnson did he not?

Your thinking is in advance here on JJ III he brings a similar skills & talent of a LJ that for-sure. I think his ball skills are better than LJ's. Obviously you seen the coverage ability of JJ III too.

Your also right that Wade does not have a Strong safety & Free safety posts assignments. Wade plays 2 or 3 safeties with multiple duties & assignments that requires them to plays all of the requirements... up close to far deep.

Rams have a very solid star stud'd DL cadre. Why would you not take full advantage of the skills & talents that are jammed in this unit. Besides the 3 stars that will start in the front 3...they have former starters in Dom Easley & Ethan Westbrooks, plus Morgan Fox, Tanzel Smart & Omarius Bryant.

Last edited:

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Certainly can see the Rams using a draft pick to replace Quinn's roster spot. Barron did miss some time last year with injuries, Littleton is expected to be a semi-starter at least at Tree's spot, can see a ILB drafted to be Barrons backup, with the idea he can start in the future. Not sure Hager is that guy. Special teams ability will be looked at when putting the LB roster together too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Linebacker and OT.

That’s where I’d focus if the draft falls in such a way that there are worthy prospects come selection time.

jap

Legend
The beautiful thing about insightful scouts and coaches such as we enjoy with the Horns is they can recognize the diamonds in the rough. That is to say, they can find players who are still mostly unpolished, but who still possess critical quality traits that can be fine tuned to a high degree. It is the ability to see the beauty in the uncut stones that has & will allow us to find gems in the fourth and sixth rounds.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I do find it interesting that Barwin was better against the run than he was against the pass, and Quinn was better against the pass than the run; though neither of them were all that good even in their strengths. Now if memory serves me correctly, Ebukam was better against the pass than against the run, and Longacre was better against the run than against the pass.But I have a lot more confidence in EB and ML because the growth for both of these should be understandably high considering that last year was their first year playing LB, plus having another year of training camp after getting acclimated last year will be paying big dividends.
So yes, I feel more comfortable with at least the OLB's this year than I was last year.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Certainly can see the Rams using a draft pick to replace Quinn's roster spot. Barron did miss some time last year with injuries, Littleton is expected to be a semi-starter at least at Tree's spot, can see a ILB drafted to be Barrons backup, with the idea he can start in the future. Not sure Hager is that guy. Special teams ability will be looked at when putting the LB roster together too.
Yes Barron had some injury issues with his shoulder that he chose to play through instead of having season ending surgery, a surgery that he has now had. So supposedly his shoulder will be fine this upcoming season, unlike this last year.

Unlike many others, I was impressed by Barron's toughness and his willingness to endure the pain of his shoulder instead of opting to just have surgery. Something tells me we may see a much improved Barron.

As always, my opinion only.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes that's what has been published that Littleton & Barron will start inside.

I have no problems with Mark Barron :bow:as long as he is not over-used. He had a inflamed knee all of the 2017 off season, training camp & pre season. Barron did not get much practice last season until the regular season began then he broke his thumb, damaged his shoulder & wore out his Achilles. Barron did have some serious work performed on his shoulder & is still rehabbing last I heard.

We shall see how Barron performs now with not having Rob Quinn constant "fail mode" on outside run containment & Alec Ogletree's run whiffs on the inside. If the replacement starters for those two do their jobs ...Barron might just have his first all pro season in 2018 if his reps are not too abundant.

I just do not see the over 6-3 220-225 pound Cory Littleton being what we need @ the mike LB'er position do you? I tend to think that Cory is best suited for the Barron post. Now the only current interior LB'er who has strong downhill traits that can make impact tackles is the under 6-2 239 lb Ramik Wilson (former interior starters for KC).

I would not be a bit surprised to see Wilson & Barron as the starters inside on the early run downs, with Wilson manning the mike post. Bryce Hager would be backing Wilson up. Don't forget that Bryce Hager 6-1 237 lbs has gotten stronger after being active for 48 straight NFL games & has excellent ability to call this Wade defense. Hager is not flashy but is solid enough to be a 2 down mike if needed.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

:rant:It's Ramik! @Prime Time !!! dammit. Should be easy to remember, you dyslexic punk!! (n)....thanks for posting all those cool videos...

:hiding:

Pretty sorry group mentioned in this thread of starting LB's by the Rams in the past.

I liked Fred Strickland, though.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
:rant:It's Ramik! @Prime Time !!! dammit. Should be easy to remember, you dyslexic punk!! (n)....thanks for posting all those cool videos...

:hiding:

I liked Fred Strickland, though.
What's sad is he was one of the better ones we've had, as the previous regimes have not been to good in recognizing good linebacker talent either through the draft or through free agency, as you can see by the previous comments.

As always, this is my opinion only.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
What's sad is he was one of the better ones we've had, as the previous regimes have not been to good in recognizing good linebacker talent either through the draft or through free agency, as you can see by the previous comments.

As always, this is my opinion only.
You’re essentially right. For years, through the seventies and eighties, the Rams has some of the best linebackers in the league.

Then the Rams started Robert Thomasing their pants, and they remained in the linebacker desert for years.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You’re essentially right. For years, through the seventies and eighties, the Rams has some of the best linebackers in the league.

Then the Rams started Robert Thomasing their pants, and they remained in the linebacker desert for years.
Oh the days of London Fletcher.

dang

Legend
I may be remembering a small sample size but o remember backs blowing by Hager. His speed and pursuit angles were poor. As a result I hope we draft/pickup a couple players with more skill. Does anyone remember differently?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just do not see the over 6-3 220-225 pound Cory Littleton being what we need @ the mike LB'er position do you? I tend to think that Cory is best suited for the Barron post. Now the only current interior LB'er who has strong downhill traits that can make impact tackles is the under 6-2 239 lb Ramik Wilson (former interior starters for KC).

Until somebody gives me a Hall of Fame reason why I shouldn't, I'm going to trust Wade Phillips. Would I do things differently or add certain players? Sure I would, but I'm not a Hall of Fame DC.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Yes that's what has been published that Littleton & Barron will start inside.

I have no problems with Mark Barron :bow:as long as he is not over-used. He had a inflamed knee all of the 2017 off season, training camp & pre season. Barron did not get much practice last season until the regular season began then he broke his thumb, damaged his shoulder & wore out his Achilles. Barron did have some serious work performed on his shoulder & is still rehabbing last I heard.

We shall see how Barron performs now with not having Rob Quinn constant "fail mode" on outside run containment & Alec Ogletree's run whiffs on the inside. If the replacement starters for those two do their jobs ...Barron might just have his first all pro season in 2018 if his reps are not too abundant.

I would not be a bit surprised to see Wilson & Barron as the starters inside on the early run downs, with Wilson manning the mike post. Bryce Hager would be backing Wilson up. Don't forget that Bryce Hager 6-1 237 lbs has gotten stronger after being active for 48 straight NFL games & has excellent ability to call this Wade defense. Hager is not flashy but is solid enough to be a 2 down mike if needed.

Hager was the backup for Tree last season, did not get many snaps. IMO Wade will find a way to maximize Wilson and Littleton into Tree's spot, Hager is the odd man out. Barron's cap space for 2019 may be needed to resign some of our upcoming OL contracts that are up.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yes Barron had some injury issues with his shoulder that he chose to play through instead of having season ending surgery, a surgery that he has now had. So supposedly his shoulder will be fine this upcoming season, unlike this last year.

Unlike many others, I was impressed by Barron's toughness and his willingness to endure the pain of his shoulder instead of opting to just have surgery. Something tells me we may see a much improved Barron.

As always, my opinion only.
Nah that is actually a great observation

Lotta folks here seem to completely fail on the Rams plans for Barron, which I find perplexing, he will be the defensive leader this year, count on it