Rams will be looking to address linebacker in draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-linebackers-20180412-story.html

Rams will be looking to address linebacker in draft as they rebuild middle of defense
By GARY KLEIN

With the addition of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, the remade Rams defense is even more stout along the front and upgraded on the back end.

But what of the middle?

Trades that sent linebackers Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn to the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins, respectively, make linebacker a position of need for the Rams heading into the April 26-28 draft.

"That's a position where you have to add depth," general manager Les Snead said. "It's very hard to replace Alec Ogletree with one player, because Alec could play the run and play the pass.

"We may have to address that with a rotation of players who have different strengths."

The Rams' strength and conditioning staff managed linebacker Mark Barron's multiple physical issues last season. It could be a challenge again as Barron, 28, begins his seventh NFL season, the third year of a five-year contract he signed before the 2016 season.

Third-year pro Cory Littleton, a special teams standout, stepped in at times last season for Barron and Ogletree, and could start inside with Barron. Second-year pro Samson Ebukam is in line to take Quinn's spot after starting two games and recording two sacks last season.

The Rams added free-agent Rakim Wilson, who started 16 games the last two seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips acknowledged that the Rams need "six or seven" linebackers to fill out the 90-man offseason roster.

"We're not where we need to be yet," he said. "But I think we will be after the draft. … I think we'll be comfortable about where we are."

Linebackers under contract: Mark Barron ($10 million), Cory Littleton ($635,000), Rakim Wilson ($750,000), Samson Ebukam ($707,000), Bryce Hager ($723,000), Carlos Thompson ($630,000), Ejuan Price ($555,000), Garrett Sickels ($480,000).

Free agents: Connor Barwin, 31, is testing the market. There is a possibility that the locker room leader and mentor for Ebukam and others could return, but it would be at a price well below the $3.5 million he earned last season. Free agent Junior Galette was on the Washington Redskins roster when coach Sean McVay and linebackers coach Joe Barry were with that franchise, but he was hurt both seasons.

Draft: The Rams have eight picks — one in the third round, three in the fourth round and four in the sixth. They will be looking for linebackers — especially edge rushers — in all rounds, and also as they attempt to sign undrafted free agents.

Roster decisions: The Rams are not in panic mode about their linebacker corps, especially in a league in which five and, occasionally, six defensive backs are deployed to stop passing offenses. Barron's salary was thought to make him a potential target for release or restructure, but the Rams instead dealt Ogletree to make room for Talib and his $11-million price tag.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams will be looking to address linebacker in draft as they rebuild middle of defense
By GARY KLEIN

With the addition of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, the remade Rams defense is even more stout along the front and upgraded on the back end.

But what of the middle?

Trades that sent linebackers Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn to the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins, respectively, make linebacker a position of need for the Rams heading into the April 26-28 draft.

"That's a position where you have to add depth," general manager Les Snead said. "It's very hard to replace Alec Ogletree with one player, because Alec could play the run and play the pass.

"We may have to address that with a rotation of players who have different strengths."

The Rams' strength and conditioning staff managed linebacker Mark Barron's multiple physical issues last season. It could be a challenge again as Barron, 28, begins his seventh NFL season, the third year of a five-year contract he signed before the 2016 season.

Third-year pro Cory Littleton, a special teams standout, stepped in at times last season for Barron and Ogletree, and could start inside with Barron. Second-year pro Samson Ebukam is in line to take Quinn's spot after starting two games and recording two sacks last season.

The Rams added free-agent Rakim Wilson, who started 16 games the last two seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips acknowledged that the Rams need "six or seven" linebackers to fill out the 90-man offseason roster.

"We're not where we need to be yet," he said. "But I think we will be after the draft. … I think we'll be comfortable about where we are."

Linebackers under contract: Mark Barron ($10 million), Cory Littleton ($635,000), Rakim Wilson ($750,000), Samson Ebukam ($707,000), Bryce Hager ($723,000), Carlos Thompson ($630,000), Ejuan Price ($555,000), Garrett Sickels ($480,000).

Free agents: Connor Barwin, 31, is testing the market. There is a possibility that the locker room leader and mentor for Ebukam and others could return, but it would be at a price well below the $3.5 million he earned last season. Free agent Junior Galette was on the Washington Redskins roster when coach Sean McVay and linebackers coach Joe Barry were with that franchise, but he was hurt both seasons.

Draft: The Rams have eight picks — one in the third round, three in the fourth round and four in the sixth. They will be looking for linebackers — especially edge rushers — in all rounds, and also as they attempt to sign undrafted free agents.

Roster decisions: The Rams are not in panic mode about their linebacker corps, especially in a league in which five and, occasionally, six defensive backs are deployed to stop passing offenses. Barron's salary was thought to make him a potential target for release or restructure, but the Rams instead dealt Ogletree to make room for Talib and his $11-million price tag.

I would think that the last paragraph carries some very serious weight here. Just how long with Wade wait to unload his stars packed in our secondary? You know he will run a four DL'er front with Brockers/ Suh/ Easley & Donald. Then add in the 6 player DB of Talib/ Peters/ Joyner/ JJ III/ NR-C & Shields would be hard to resist. Leaving just ONE LB'er roaming.

We already know that DB Joyner can easy flex up to a LB'er position because he started there in 2016. Shields was a wise experienced ex All Pro corner just a few seasons back. Think that Talib would like to have the opportunity to play some roaming free safety if Wade moves up Joyner closer to the LOS ? Talib is our largest DB @ over 6-1 205 lbs & Shields steps into his outside corner post.....Yep no reason to panic.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I would think that the last paragraph carries some very serious weight here. Just how long with Wade wait to unload his stars packed in our secondary? You know he will run a four DL'er front with Brockers/ Suh/ Easley & Donald. Then add in the 6 player DB of Talib/ Peters/ Joyner/ JJ III/ NR-C & Shields would be hard to resist. Leaving just ONE LB'er roaming.

We already know that DB Joyner can easy flex up to a LB'er position because he started there in 2016. Shields was a wise experienced ex All Pro corner just a few seasons back. Think that Talib would like to have the opportunity to play some roaming free safety if Wade moves up Joyner closer to the LOS ? Talib is our largest DB @ over 6-1 205 lbs & Shields steps into his outside corner post.....Yep no reason to panic.
I have to ask, are you saying that Lamarcus Joyner can play a LB position? Or did you mean to type someone else's name?

By the way, we're probably the only team with four players under 5'10". I just hope that doesn't become true of our linemen.:shocked:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

By GARY KLEIN

But what of the middle?

No mention of Longacre.

Ram65

Legend

I don't think I like the idea of Joyner playing LBer Boni. That's what Barron is for.

Last year teams ran on the Rams on third downs with success. Wade has to scheme against that. Granted Suh is going to help but, they can't sell out for the pass all the time. They may go the route you showed with 6 DBs Barron and the 4 down lineman on 2nd/3rd and long.

I kept reading that Wade likes to attack/blitz from all four LBer spots. I would think Brokers Suh and Donald would open up some nice lanes for blitzing Lbers. Also, he is going to move them around like did with Watt, Ware and Miller. I expect a couple of edge rushers in the draft but, we could see an all around Lber too. I think Wade wants to keep OC guessing what he will do play to play. Should be fun.

Good read about Wade going to the Broncos
https://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1/27/7922019/the-wade-phillips-3-4

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to ask, are you saying that Lamarcus Joyner can play a LB position? Or did you mean to type someone else's name?

By the way, we're probably the only team with four players under 5'10". I just hope that doesn't become true of our linemen.:shocked:

OK let me ask you a question first ReekofRamsif you will permit me? lets go go back in our memory brain cells(you will have to help me I only have one working brain cell since 1969)....2016 season with Gregg Williams as our DC.....Can you give me the name of the defensive player who was in our base unit who lined up @ SSLB'er & was also our Nickle in our defensive scheme:sneaky:?

I'll give you a clue he right behind Alex Ogletree first & Mark Barron second in defensive team tackles.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If I'm a qb walking to the line and I see Easley AD suh and brockers as a 4 man front, I'm calling time out....followed by my costanza involuntary elbow spasm.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
OK let me ask you a question first ReekofRamsif you will permit me? lets go go back in our memory brain cells(you will have to help me I only have one working brain cell since 1969)....2016 season with Gregg Williams as our DC.....Can you give me the name of the defensive player who was in our base unit who lined up @ SSLB'er & was also our Nickle in our defensive scheme:sneaky:?

I'll give you a clue he right behind Alex Ogletree first & Mark Barron second in defensive team tackles.

Tommy Polley

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

Dexter Coakley?

Okay you're right dammit! But I'd rather someone a little more, should I say, beefy does the linebacking. After Lamarcus matures a little more physically, up and out, I'm all for it, as he seems to have linebacker mentality.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

TJ McDonald if he didn’t have a melt down.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As usual, another hard-hitting, insightful, exhaustively researched article by Gary Klein. o_O

Maybe i’m being too harsh, but just the title alone was awfully high on the “duh” factor.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Wade seems confident that the LB situation will be worked out by the end of the draft. I'm thinking they have a decent sized group of guys they feel they can draft from in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I fully expect the first pick to be a LB but if there's an OT available who is significantly higher rated on their board, then I'm good with that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a few decent to good LBers will be found in the 3rd or 4th rounds (maybe later). Our defense is so stacked right now elsewhere, we can afford to not have star LBers..Would love them to be, but our defense will be studly no matter what, imo.