Rams uniform changes are coming – but not before 2019 --OC Register

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams uniform changes are coming – but not…

rams_jaguars_football_24705587-1.jpg

Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Pharoh Cooper celebrates his 103-yard touchdown return, on the opening kickoff, with Cory Littleton. left, and Malcolm Brown, right, during the first half of an NFL game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: October 18, 2017 at 1:30 pm | UPDATED: October 18, 2017 at 5:40 pm

JACKSONVILLE – Unless a future 2017 regular-season road opponent throws the Rams a curve ball, it looks like they won’t have to wear the hideous mismatched uniforms they wore against the Dallas Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars.

That’s the good news.

On the flip side, the major changes the Rams have planned for a fresh new look representing their move back to Los Angeles won’t happen until 2019, at the earliest, and possibly 2020 to coincide with the opening of their new stadium in Inglewood.

By NFL rule, uniform changes require a two-year notification and lock teams into that uniform for five years. The Rams have begun that process – remember, the new stadium was originally expected to be opened in 2019 – and have yet to decide whether to make the switch in 2019 or 2020.

Change is coming, which is a positive for those who hate the current color scheme. And there are plenty of haters, most of whom reside in Southern California and can’t help but connect the present jersey and pants color schemes with the years the Rams spent in St. Louis.

Just not quickly enough.

The Rams understand, which is why they changed to the old-school white and blue helmet this year and switched to their white away jerseys for home games. It was something, at least. But league rules prohibit them from going any further. There are various reasons for this, with merchandising and retail partnerships coming into play as well as the importance the NFL puts in creating a consistent global brand that fans identify teams with.

So, for the next couple of years anyway, they’ll try to make do by integrating the white and blue helmets with the carry over jerseys and pants from their St. Louis days..

That hasn’t stopped them from petitioning the league for flexibility to allow them to wear their throwback or color rush uniforms above and beyond the times NFL teams are permitted. At least for games in which they have to wear their blue jerseys.

They also requested permission to wear their throwback uniforms full time, provided they could still change to their new uniforms in 2019 or 2020.

But the league refused.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the throw back and color rush uniforms apply to the playoffs too.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again the NFL sometimes common sense should rain supreme, but it doesn't. Let the Rams don their throwbacks if asked to wear dark jerseys on the road, why is that an issue? For the most part the white on white with the white horns is palatable, but some of the decisions the NFL makes are dumb, as dumb as dumb can be, it once killed Pete Rozelle and now it's killing me!

Psycho_X

Legend
I just don't understand how it is just the jersey. But they can change helmets and pants? It's just a stupid rule that, while I understand it's basic premise, completely whiffs at using common sense as @den-the-coach said above.

My question is are the helmets and pants required to be the same every game? If so, that's another part of the dumb rule. And if not, why don't they just use the gold horns when they are forced to where the blue jerseys? I guess next season they could decide which two games are likely to force them into the blue jerseys and choose them as the throwback games? Idk, overall the time requirement is the worst part. I can understand a year... maybe two... but forcing teams to wait 5 years? Stupid.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't understand how it is just the jersey. But they can change helmets and pants? It's just a stupid rule that, while I understand it's basic premise, completely whiffs at using common sense as @den-the-coach said above.

The rule is in place is so teams do not constantly alter the game jersey, which sells the most, however, allowing the throwbacks would only increase jersey sales and would be better for the NFL. Again if a team moves, IMO, there should be some special consideration on uniforms, but Roger Stokoe Goodell continues to prove that from the neck up, he's worth a dime.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The NFL should be re-named the Soviet Football League.

The Rams should wear what they damn well please (and I favor alternating the GSOT and old blue/white jerseys).

Supreme commissar Goodell can go frack himself and take us to court. The jury will be packed with Ram fans.

fearsomefour

Legend
The NFL should be re-named the Soviet Football League.

The Rams should wear what they damn well please (and I favor alternating the GSOT and old blue/white jerseys).

Supreme commissar Goodell can go frack himself and take us to court. The jury will be packed with Ram fans.
Depends where the trial was.
Lots of places it would be hard to find 12 Ram fans.

sjm1582002

But isn't capitalism the reason they aren't allowed to wear whatever they want?

I am no longer interested in any supposed "reason".

If I was Stan the Rams would be wearing what the fans like best.

End. Stop.

The courtroom is >>>>>>>>>>>>.

See ya there.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Step 1. Wear whatever colors make sense.
Step 2. Pay the fine.

What's the prob???

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I am no longer interested in any supposed "reason".

If I was Stan the Rams would be wearing what the fans like best.

End. Stop.

The courtroom is >>>>>>>>>>>>.

See ya there.
Overall I and everyone agrees that it's dumb, but we just have to wait it out. Hopefully they find some sort of solution by next season.

I bet Stan is on whatever side lines his pockets. It sounds very american to me, a private company with a uniform policy much like most businesses in this country.

If they really are Soviets, can we expect a fair trial?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the throw back and color rush uniforms apply to the playoffs too.
What does this mean!? Can the Rams wear the Throw-Back / Color-Rush Jersey's in the Playoff's!?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Depends where the trial was.
Lots of places it would be hard to find 12 Ram fans.
IF the Rams file Suit in L.A. that's were the Trial must be! Then Let "Bull" from the TV Series empanel the Jury. Rams will Win!(y);):D

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
to be honest..i kinda like the rule ... when you have soccer teams over here changing kits every single year and three kits per team (home , away and alternate) thas a lot of jack for the teams to rake in and fans to spend ... i like how the NFL stops this Jerry and his cowboys would have a different uni once every 8 games

but they should make an exception in the rams case ... due to the move

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that they dont want teams changing every year, but that isnt close to what is going on. 5 years is nuts.
And I'm with @Psycho_X , why can they change the pants, helmet and logo, but the Jersey has to stay the same????
I cant fathom how the league looks at this mess and thinks its better to allow the Rams to look putrid, than it is to let them change.
And lol, we still have another full season to go thru after this year to suffer

sjm1582002

If they really are Soviets, can we expect a fair trial?

Given the increasingly embarrassing attendance at games, combined with the drop in TV ratings, you would think the Nomenklatura Football League has more pressing issues than the Rams wardrobe choice.

It is as if uniforms must adhere to some sort of "five year plan".

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
What do most fan' buy? Jersey's.... Therefore from a retailer standpoint they don't want a stock of worthless merchandise because the team changed it every year. So it's smart to have that rule.

There should be an exception for when a team moves, for example Ravens and Titans were not the same anything when they moved... So should not a Raider, Ram, Cardinal, team be allowed to change too