Rams trying to extend Snisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm happy to see us taking the Continuity Road... that's the only one that leads to real long term success.

Yeah, we'll see. Cincy owner Mike Brown has been stubbornly sticking to this philosophy for the last 25 years, yet has no playoff wins to show for it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see where some struggle with this. Giving Fisher the obligatory 2 year extension does not grant him 2 more years.
If the team were to fail, he'd be let go. What the extension does do is prevent the circus that would be created when (if) the Rams win 10-11 games and then have Fisher become a free agent HC. Yes, he would be a commodity
It's extremely rare that teams allow a coach to go in to the final year of a contract on a lame duck year.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Just out of curiosity....anyone swayed either way by the one episode of Hard Knocks that we have seen?

I'm usually pretty level headed and need a pretty solid baseline to formulate my opinions, but I got to be honest, I'm more confident after seeing how Fisher handled his business in the one episode.

Key reasons.... when he said....."Trust me, I know what I am doing." and "That was some 7 and 9 bullcrap right there"

Not really. After 20 years there's not much mystery to Fisher. We know what he does well and what he doesn't do well.

I'd remained surprised if he couldn't produce at least one winning season before the end, but long term success is likely to remain elusive for a HC who has never found it.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't see where some struggle with this. Giving Fisher the obligatory 2 year extension does not grant him 2 more years.
If the team were to fail, he'd be let go.

I don't know how willing Kroenke is to pay Fisher to not coach for the team. He (and his staff) are not cheap.

…..

Legend
Not really. After 20 years there's not much mystery to Fisher. We know what he does well and what he doesn't do well.

I'd remained surprised if he couldn't produce at least one winning season before the end, but long term success is likely to remain elusive for a HC who has never found it.

True, but he did get Tennessee to the Superbowl and I thought Bud Adams was instrumental in meddling with team chemistry (Vince Young)

I'm not thoroughly convicted here.....just cautiously optimistic.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know how willing Kroenke is to pay Fisher to not coach for the team. He (and his staff) are not cheap.
Kroenke has commited in the billions for this team. He's not going to keep a coach just to save a couple bucks.
It's just not how the NFL works. Can't have the HC coaching lame duck. No benefit

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I don't understand is, what could have Fisher done differently to get to the playoffs? We haven't had the same QB for entire season since 2012, which was our best year at 7-8-1. Terrible receivers, insane amount of injuries and no real threat at RB until Gurley arrived. I'd like to hear about another head coach who's had 6 different QBs and made the playoffs in a tough division. If Kendricks catches that pass against the Steelers, Zuerlein makes the two field goals against the Ravens and Vikings and the defense does its job against the whiners, were sitting pretty at 11-5 last year. 3-4 plays decided our season. Add above average QB play all year? You might be looking at an NFC championship berth.

We're going to win games this year guys. Mark my words. Fisher is the best thing out there at the moment.

tempests

Hall of Fame
[
Kroenke has commited in the billions for this team. He's not going to keep a coach just to save a couple bucks.
It's just not how the NFL works. Can't have the HC coaching lame duck. No benefit

I'm fairly certain there's an upper limit to how much he's paying his coaches.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, we'll see. Cincy owner Mike Brown has been stubbornly sticking to this philosophy for the last 25 years, yet has no playoff wins to show for it.
Yeah they've also had QB's like Jon Kitna, Jeff Blake, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton during that span. Palmer was the only guy who was legit, but their defense was never good enough until just recently.

My thoughts:
It's hard to land a legit stud QB and you have to have one. Period.
Some teams luck out and go get them while other teams just luck into it altogether. I have some issues with Fisher myself...but Fisher not having a Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees at QB isn't one of them.

I don't find it very intelligent when fans call out the win/loss record alone as the reason he should be fired. Dig deeper.

If the AZ Cardinals don't luck into finding Carson Palmer off the scrap heap then Bruce Arians is a .500 ball coach and might have been replaced already after 3 years...but maybe instead the Cardinals brass can see that he knows what he's doing and is building a program there, so they stick to it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Not exactly correct. He's stuck with Marvin Lewis for the last 13 years (14 counting 2016). His team has made the postseason 7 times, albeit without a win. After Sam Wyche's 8 year run with 2 playoff appearances, including a Superbowl loss, the Bengals had 3 head coaches over an 11 year period with 0 postseason berths. Truth is, you can always find a reason to fire any guy regardless of his level of success......didn't win, didn't get to the postseason, didn't win in the postseason, didn't get to the Superbowl, didn't win the Superbowl......but I'd bet Bengal fans like the idea they have a shot at the Superbowl every January rather than being out of it by November. Hey Ram fans have experienced that since 2005. It's only since Fisher took over that this team has steadily improved.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
[

I'm fairly certain there's an upper limit to how much he's paying his coaches.
You think Kroenke wouldn't fire his hc if he wasn't getting the results he wants over money? With all he's invested?
On the financial prudence issue, they have been talking obligatory 2 year language. If Fisher hits FA he's likely looking at a new 4-5 year deal.
Makes sense to lock in now

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think people still underestimate the impact that players have in this game. Where would the Patriots have been without Brady and Gronk in a wuss division? Pete Carroll was a mediocre coach with the good defense, until Russell Wilson.

McCarthy has had great QB play and a savvy GM. Payton has a QB and can bring you offensive ingenuity all day but hasn't got a clue about defense. Hue Jackson is off the table now. The Rams passed on Rivera and he is locked up. No thanks to Harbaugh, even though he did actually do more with less than any current coach I can think of.
Yep, and Vermeil without Warner would suck too. Good point!

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I am happy to give Fisher an extention. I believe in contanuity. I heard someone bring up Cincinnati as an example why not to have long term Coach. There was a long long stretch between Sam Wiesh and Marvin Lewis where they were perennial doormats in they're division......now team talent is at a very high level and even though they haven't won a playoff game in years ....they are constant contenders for playoffs and the division. I would much rather contend every year then go back to where we were before Snisher. Bill Cower is a great example of sticking with your head coach and creating contanuity
Yep, and Vermeil without Warner would suck too. Good point!

Or for that matter...." Mad " Mike Martz.........;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

tempests

Hall of Fame
Yeah they've also had QB's like Jon Kitna, Jeff Blake, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton during that span. Palmer was the only guy who was legit, but their defense was never good enough until just recently.

My thoughts:
It's hard to land a legit stud QB and you have to have one. Period.
Some teams luck out and go get them while other teams just luck into it altogether. I have some issues with Fisher myself...but Fisher not having a Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees at QB isn't one of them.

I don't find it very intelligent when fans call out the win/loss record alone as the reason he should be fired. Dig deeper.

If the AZ Cardinals don't luck into finding Carson Palmer off the scrap heap then Bruce Arians is a .500 ball coach and might have been replaced already after 3 years...but maybe instead the Cardinals brass can see that he knows what he's doing and is building a program there, so they stick to it.

I'd say it should be the bottom line, especially if they're going to keep making Fisher one of the highest paid coaches in the game.

I don't believe in luck. For teams like the Jets and Browns who draft in the top ten every year but go decades between good QBs, it's no one's fault but their own. In Fisher's case, that excuse has reached its expiration date. He had a no 1 overall QB when he got here, whom he told everyone within earshot was the reason he came to the Rams. Had the no 2 picks in the 2012, 2014 draft(passing on Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr) and now another no 1 overall QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't believe in luck. For teams like the Jets and Browns who draft in the top ten every year but go decades between good QBs, it's no one's fault but their own
Two very good examples of teams that are really good at hiring and firing HC's every few years. There hasn't been a football program put into place in those cities in decades.

As far as you not believing in luck, that's fine but every HC in the league wants a stud QB. There aren't enough to go around. Again, it's not easy...and every "successful" HC has one.

Fisher going with Bradford in 2012 was a no brainer at the time. Fisher passing on a QB in 2014 after Bradford missed nine games with his first ACL was not exactly a head scratcher.

He's rebuilt a horrific roster into a talented, competitive 500 team having to scratch and claw at QB. Bradford busted out. It happens. It's really that simple IMO.
If you just feel like he can't coach on the field let's talk about that.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I am happy to give Fisher an extention. I believe in contanuity. I heard someone bring up Cincinnati as an example why not to have long term Coach.

That was an example of practiced continuity resulting in an extended stay in football purgatory. Steelers stuck with Cowher because he took them to the playoffs every year. Brown stuck with his coaches for the sake of it.

Mike Brown has fired coaches before, but he has tried to ape the Steelers at every turn, right up to composing his front office of his own family members, not unlike the Rooneys or Maras. Dick LeBeau was the only coach he had a quick trigger on.

As far as the Rams "going back" before Fisher, you guys must not have much faith in Kroenke's ability to find the right guy. Which is odd, seeing on how you're putting so much stock into his current one.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't really think an extension means anything. No one wants a lame duck coach distraction, especially after this move.

If they have a losing record this year I don't think Fisher will be back, regardless of contracts.

nighttrain

Legend
Lets look at this this way:

Fisher wont except 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 nor even 10-6!! So if he doesnt do better, dont extend him!! its that simple.
before we move on from Fisher i want to see who else is available
train

tempests

Hall of Fame
Two very good examples of teams that are really good at hiring and firing HC's every few years. There hasn't been a football program put into place in those cities in decades.

Can't have a program without a foundation of success to base it on.

Fisher passing on a QB in 2014 after Bradford missed nine games with his first ACL was not exactly a head scratcher.

Well, it was to me. Two years left on his deal and I knew any extension negotiation was going to be contentious. No playoffs, no Pro Bowls yet Condon was going to be pushing for a raise. I thought we needed a solid plan B. Instead the Rams went with Plan A recycled and it backfired in spectacular fashion.

He's rebuilt a horrific roster into a talented, competitive 500 team having to scratch and claw at QB. Bradford busted out. It happens. It's really that simple IMO.
If you just feel like he can't coach on the field let's talk about that.

He's turned a two win team into a seven win team; but now he needs to turn that seven win team into a 10 win team, a task I believe is much harder.

It's whether he's up for that should be in question.