Rams trying to extend Snisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We'll have to agree to disagree on all that Fisher/Bradford/should coulda drafted a plan B in the 1st rd stuff. I grow tired of it. It's too easy for fans to go there in hindsight.

This though...
Can't have a program without a foundation of success to base it on.
Really? I don't think you've read a word i've said concerning elite QB's. That's fine though. Enjoy your day. Enjoy the 2016 season too.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
That was an example of practiced continuity resulting in an extended stay in football purgatory. Steelers stuck with Cowher because he took them to the playoffs every year. Brown stuck with his coaches for the sake of it.

Mike Brown has fired coaches before, but he has tried to ape the Steelers at every turn, right up to composing his front office of his own family members, not unlike the Rooneys or Maras. Dick LeBeau was the only coach he had a quick trigger on.

As far as the Rams "going back" before Fisher, you guys must not have much faith in Kroenke's ability to find the right guy. Which is odd, seeing on how you're putting so much stock into his current one.

I understand your points. But I simply do not want to go back to "Finding the Right guy" just to make a change. We did that all the way from Robinson to finally Vermeil. ....and even that looked negative until he hired Mad Mike as a offensive coordinator in 1999. Then Martz was OK as head coach but the coaches that followed till Fisher were good coordinators but terrible head coaches. I think there are not that many great head Coaches so finding one is very hard.

My second concern with finding a good head coach would be the standard of personnel. ....most new coaches want they're own people ...plus draft they're type of personnel. For example there is a chance that our new coach comes in and installs a 3-4 defense. Then gets rid of players such as Donald and Quinn for players he feels for personal that fit his scheeme. So finding a New good/great head coach who can use the ever improving talent on our roster without having to dump half of the roster to start over is very hard to find.

That being said... I understand and respect your opinion. ... although I might not agree...;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I prefer continuity when it comes to building an NFL program. So, I support extending Fisher and Snead.

Finding another HC and building around a new vision feels like taking too many steps backwards. No thanks!

But I got to get this off my chest; Fisher annoys me occasionally, just like Tony LaRussa. He has a bit of "the smartest guy in the room syndrome" and over thinks things. The 2pt conversion in Minnesota last year as a good example.

But; I still prefer him as our HC. The players love him. He keeps the ship tight. There isn't a lot of drama around this team, etc.

Extend him.

nantucket9

UDFA
Name
nantucket9
Fisher's regime is the hallmark of mediocrity. That's just a fact, not an opinion. The team just doesn't win. The patience of Ram fan's amazes me. It's commendable to a point, but personally, I'm not allergic to winning. My biggest concern with the fisher extension is that Kroenke may really not care about winning vs. harvesting an economic return on his investment. I can't think of another franchise in the NFL that would not have fired fisher by now. My fingers are crossed is that an extension won't save him if the teams finishes below .500 again. But I'm not confident --Fisher now has the built in excuse of a young QB.

Shoman01

Rookie
If all you strive for is being this years scary team on the raise, then finish under .500. Then Fisher is your man.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well they did go 18-12-1 with Sam as their starter, not a whole lotta HCs gonna post winning records trotting out the likes of Sean Hiil, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemmens, Foles and even Case Keenum

But I suppose that revelation tends to be ignored by many here, or just dismissed

Hell I'd go as far to state they have over achieved considering the utter dismal state of QB they have been dealt...beating Seattle with Austin Davis as your QB? Think about that headhunter dudes

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am happy to give Fisher an extention. I believe in contanuity. I heard someone bring up Cincinnati as an example why not to have long term Coach. There was a long long stretch between Sam Wiesh and Marvin Lewis where they were perennial doormats in they're division......now team talent is at a very high level and even though they haven't won a playoff game in years ....they are constant contenders for playoffs and the division. I would much rather contend every year then go back to where we were before Snisher. Bill Cower is a great example of sticking with your head coach and creating contanuity

Or for that matter...." Mad " Mike Martz.........;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

I think a long term coach has a better tab on what the team needs and who is expendable and who is not. Every time a new staff is hired they do a one year evaluations of the team and then begin to retool it to their style. It is nearly like starting all over again. It rarely works.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I say do it. Fisher is not the problem. Offensive play calling needs to improve, but he will take us to a Super Bowl and win.

The Fisher haters out in force tonight!

He was a play away from winning a Super bowl. That's a little known fact around here.

Some guys like Marvin Lewis or Hue Jackson can't say that.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think many have forgotten how bad this team was before Snisher arrived.

This is a competitive team.
We now have a good Defence.
We have a good stable of Backs.
We have better qb depth than we've had in years. They're young but takented.
Wr talent and depth is a work in progress.

We can beat any team. We've shown that under Snisher. We now have to work on being consistent.
Strong QB play is how we do that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think many have forgotten how bad this team was before Snisher arrived.

This is a competitive team.
We now have a good Defence.
We have a good stable of Backs.
We have better qb depth than we've had in years. They're young but takented.
Wr talent and depth is a work in progress.

We can beat any team. We've shown that under Snisher. We now have to work on being consistent.
Strong QB play is how we do that.

This is well said. We have come a long way.

I'm sure he's tired of the 8-8 jokes too. I believe we are going to start stacking up winning seasons, starting now, and he'll be our HC for years to come.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Kroenke is a smart businessman, and he surely knows that he's holding all the cards right now.

After overpaying Fisher for 4 years, IMO, he can now wait and see just what Fisher can produce this year.

If Fisher excels, then give him a juicy extension, by all means. And we all live happily ever after. No need to worry that Fisher would go elsewhere after having a successful year with the Rams. Not hardly. This would be a dream HC job for Fisher or anyone else.

But if Fisher stumbles yet again with this roster, then the decision is just as obvious. Move on and direct Demoff/Snead to hire the next Arians type.

Like I said, Kroenke is holding all the cards. I would be stunned if he overthinks this decision. Waiting to see is a win win for Kroenke.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Rams trying to extend Snisher:

I got super excited when I thought I read Rams trying to Expand Snisher I was thinking this was a thread about Fisher becoming more offensively open minded and creative.
Damn my eyes

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We'll have to agree to disagree on all that Fisher/Bradford/should coulda drafted a plan B in the 1st rd stuff. I grow tired of it. It's too easy for fans to go there in hindsight.

Totally agree. Drafting another QB in the first round in '14 because lightning *might* strike twice would have sent fans into an uproar as well - and it would have been worse had Bradford not blew out his knee again and, heaven forbid, had a good season. Everybody would have complained about a wasted 1st rounder.

When you consider the promise Bradford had when Fisher took over, the fact that by opening day 2014 the QB position was a mess can be attributed to nothing more than really bad luck. Simple as that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to Fisher in his presser today he's not working on an extension. But we know how those kind of comments from him have turned out in the past. Anytime he denies something it makes us think it'll happen.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Totally agree. Drafting another QB in the first round in '14 because lightning *might* strike twice would have sent fans into an uproar as well

Like half the fanbase wasn't ready to move on from Bradford at that point.

and it would have been worse had Bradford not blew out his knee again and, heaven forbid, had a good season.

Either of those things was always a dicey proposition.

When you consider the promise Bradford had when Fisher took over, the fact that by opening day 2014 the QB position was a mess can be attributed to nothing more than really bad luck. Simple as that.

Or bad management. Can't complain about the QBs they had in 2014-15 when the opportunity was there to do better. Not hindsight either.

The only reason this wasn't practical is because Condon and Bradford wouldn't have stood for it. We saw his reaction to Carson Wentz. Would've been the same thing here.

RamWoodie

Legend
Put me on record as supporting an extension for Fisher. I think the main problem upsetting the Rams apple cart has been injuries.

I have had my issues with Fisher when it comes to OCs but this "mediocrity" talk is for the birds as I see it. I won't debate the point either because there's too much involved to do so.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, it won't be a large extension, two to three years, so let's post three which takes him through 2019 which will be the first year in the new stadium with new uniforms. Now if Fisher cannot get the Rams to post season, IMO, ESK will make a change at the end of 2018, however, unlike some I really feel the Rams are going to start to win consistently starting this year, WTH, they are due.