Rams trade for Sony Michel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Michel's injury history concerns me, but they had to do something.

It wouldn't shock me if they pick up another back after the final cuts.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Thank the heavens. Hopefully he can stay healthy and help us on the field. His off the field mentorship will be underrated imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Couple points that I have not seen in this thread just yet.

The comp is actually a fourth round compensatory pick that the Rams are expected to receive for losing John Johnson. Since that pick has yet to be awarded, it can't be the only trade-comp. So it's the 5th and 6th only if the Rams do not get a 4th round compensatory pick. Assuming they do receive that #4, the Rams retain their #5 and #6 picks.

I assume there's a connection between highly regarded Rams' RB coach Thomas Brown and Sony Michel.
Prior to joining the Rams, Brown was coaching in Georgia; and, I believe, coached Michel.

Finally, Michel had a very limited role with the Patriots as a pass-catching back. Just 26 receptions in three years. Not sure if that was a reflection of skills (hands and/or blitz pick-up) or the presence of top receiving backs like James White.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The comp is actually a fourth round compensatory pick that the Rams are expected to receive for losing John Johnson. Since that pick has yet to be awarded, it can't be the only trade-comp. So it's the 5th and 6th only if the Rams do not get a 4th round compensatory pick. Assuming they do receive that #4, the Rams retain their #5 and #6 picks.

I assume there's a connection between highly regarded Rams' RB coach Thomas Brown and Sony Michel. Prior to joining the Rams, Brown was coaching in Georgia; and, I believe, coached Michel.

Finally, Michel had a very limited role with the Patriots as a pass-catching back. Just 26 receptions in three years. Not sure if that was a reflection of skills (hands and/or blitz pick-up) or the presence of top receiving backs like James White.
I thought you couldn't trade comp picks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I thought you couldn't trade comp picks.
That rule was changed last year.

However, the Rams can't only trade this comp pick right now because they have not yet been awarded it.

So it's the Rams #5 and #6 if they do not get a 2022 fourth round comp pick.

If they do get it (very likely), then it's that #4 comp pick.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted in the RB needs thread about this just 2 days ago…it’s a good move and will make a difference. He will likely become the lead back by mid season.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the other guys who called this…BINGO. @Faceplant @LARams_1963 ditto on your recent posts on this move.

9E870BCD-D93F-4354-A049-BCC9521762CA.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I posted in the RB needs thread about this just 2 days ago…it’s a good move and will make a difference. He will likely become the lead back by mid season.

I agree, has been nicked up in the past too, but bigger back at 215lbs, been in post season a ton and does a nice job in pass protection. Although I look for Jones to be the receiving RB.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Great move! The price was minimal and he's a very capable back with experience. Bonus points as I think he will fit this offence very nicely. A nice contrast to Hendo's style.

Ironically, Michel has had injury problems himself, and durability - not talent - is the biggest reason we needed another body at RB. Hendo is made of glass. And his previous backup in Funk has knee issues. I suspect Michel will slot in as RB2 now, and that all of the backs will get a decent share of carries.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Love it! I feel much more comfortable with the RBs now. If I remember correctly, he's a real solid pass blocker too

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I assume there's a connection between highly regarded Rams' RB coach Thomas Brown and Sony Michel.
Prior to joining the Rams, Brown was coaching in Georgia; and, I believe, coached Michel.

Is there a chance some of the 4th round comp picks end up being a 3rd based on performance this season? Or is it all contract amounts that determine it?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Somehow having a runningback named Michelle doesn’t really instill any more confidence in the runningbacks than before the trade. :laugh3:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Nobody has mentioned this is the dude who scored the only touchdown in our latest Superbowl loss to the Patriots eh? I'm still bitter about that but welcome aboard I guess haha

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At least they got a bit more experience and despite Sony’s injury past it’s another body to split carries.

I would like to see what Gurley texted Michel once he heard the trade news.

Decent trade. But temeber a 4th round comp pick in next years draft could end up playing out as a second or third in most drafts. The 2022 draft is supposed to be loaded due to CoVid players taking a year off. The trade doesn’t sound as good for a guy likely to have been cut. But the Rams were stuck and I’m sure any team Snead approached likely wanted way over value. If Michel is worth a late 4th and 5th, what is a guy like Perine worth?