Rams’ Top Ten 2023 Offseason Moves that Produced a Playoff Contender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Few years back or whatever I wasn't wowed by trading for Corbett, but he went on to be a key piece for us and paid off big time at the end. Couple years back when we traded for Von Miller I wasn't exactly wowed, but that move was absolutely critical to us making a run and winning a title. This year I wasn't wowed by Dotson either. But by God that dude has transformed this line, just him being added on top of what they had.

That's not even including Ramsey. So the Rams are deadline deal masters. They've really done a great job in that window. No idea whether this line can give us the kind of dominance in the playoffs we'll need to protect this defense. But it sure is exciting to think about. Get in first and all of a sudden things are possible.

This is one of the most satisfying seasons for me, among many satisfying seasons under McVay. Because what they're doing with this roster is really something.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Resigning Dotson is a must. You don't let a guy like that go in free agency.

I would have to think this is a no brainer. Havs won’t be around forever, both Jackson and Noteboom are capable but injuries keep us wary, and then there’s Avila. Being solid at both guard spots with a chance to grab a franchise LT in this year’s draft to pair with Havs is not a bad plan, IMO.

We talk a lot about one last run with Stafford, Kupp, and Donald. I would include Havs, still one of the best run blocking OTs in the league, in that group. Having Dotson alongside him has rejuvenated the run game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
From the home offices in Lake Mary, Florida, here are the top 10 2023 offseason moves that lead to the Rams being in playoff contention.

Number 10: Signing John Johnson III
Johnson’s playing time has increased, and he’s making plays. I also think his veteran presence is very important on a young defense with big games ahead of it to close out the season and, hopefully, get into the postseason tournament.

Number 9: Drafting Ethan Evans
Sure, he’s “just a punter.” But he’s a very good one (7th in yards/punt at 49.5) who, with a bit of seasoning (could sacrifice some distance for hang time) and better coverage, could be a real mainstay for the Rams.

Number 8: Signing Demarcus Robinson
His stats are not gaudy, but he has come on in recent weeks. While he isn’t the deep threat that Tutu Atwell is, his size and blocking ability make him a great fit in the Rams’ 11 personnel scheme along with Cooper Kupp and Tutu Atwell.

Number 7: Drafting Steve Avila
Avila is having a very good rookie year on an OL that has really turned things around after a disastrous 2022. He should only get better, and we are fortunate to have him for another 3 years on a rookie deal.

Number 6: Signing Ahkello Witherspoon
Though he’s no Jalen Ramsey, he has been a veteran presence that the CB corps really needed. He leads the Rams in interceptions (3), passes defended (13) and fumble recoveries (2). I find myself wishing we signed him to a second year team option, as he may have played to a level where he has priced himself out of our budget for 2024.

Number 5: Hiring Ryan Wendell
Better talent and health are certainly the primary reasons for the OL’s turnaround, but you also have to give a lot of credit to Wendell. His fresh perspective has lead to the Rams finding their “best 5,” even though doing so meant sending veterans like Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen to the bench. And, don’t forget, this is a guy who is only in his fifth year as a coach, and his first in charge of an OL.

Number 4: Drafting Kobie Turner
Turner was not a guy who was high on a lot of draft boards, but he has been a real find. 49 tackles, 5 sacks, 5 TFL and 2 PD so far, and he has Aaron Donald’s endorsement. That’s good enough for me!

Number 3: Drafting Byron Young
Another rookie who is producing in his first year (6 sacks – first among all rookies, 5 TFL, 2 forced fumbles, 55 tackles). Pass rushers usually hit their stride in years 2-3, so I’m excited to see how he develops. Its also nice to know that we obtained value from trading Jalen Ramsey (Young was selected with the pick acquired from the Dolphins).

Number 2: Trading for Kevin Dotson
Dotson is having a Pro Bowl caliber season, after knocking Joe Noteboom out of the starting lineup. He is going to be our top internal FA priority this offseason, in my opinion. Really makes up for the disappointment of Logan Bruss’ slow development/injuries.

Number 1: Drafting Puka Nacua
Was there any doubt? Puka has been a revelation, as he continues to break rookie receiving records. He is a unique talent, and a fantastic fit for the Rams’ offense. His presence has also made Matthew Stafford less reliant on Cooper Kupp. With both guys healthy, we have a great tandem for the stretch run. Plus, how can you not love Puka’s enthusiasm for the game? Its infectious.
Outstanding post! Possibly your very best ever!

Take a bow, sir…

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know they are different styles of receivers, but the impact of getting Robinson seems similar to me as getting OBJ in '21. OBJ was great at getting critical catches in the stretch run that year and Robinson has come up big a few times this year. He's a monster in the end zone. Stafford throws it up and he comes down with it, almost every time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I know they are different styles of receivers, but the impact of getting Robinson seems similar to me as getting OBJ in '21. OBJ was great at getting critical catches in the stretch run that year and Robinson has come up big a few times this year. He's a monster in the end zone. Stafford throws it up and he comes down with it, almost every time.
I think it's more of a situation where, really, for the first time with Stafford, they can deploy 3-4 WRs and 2 TEs who are all very, very capable of many things. Players whose skills really compliment each other.
That's not saying you're incorrect about Robinson's specific skills, I'm just saying it's the first time we've seen a fully-formed version of the WR corps.. as well as TEs.. since Stafford has been here. The RB thing helps a shit-ton too.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great List Avenger...I will add an additional comment on #8.
I would like to see Sean give Demarcus a shot at punt returning. His end around on Sunday displayed power and vision when given a crease. At least from where I sit.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, we gotta give them credit for being better than expected. No, we're not a Superbowl team. And maybe we get blown out in the first round. But I doubt it. Whoever we play we're gonna give more of a fight than they want.

And yes, I'm eating plenty of crow. Going into the bye I thought playoffs were not a reality. I was thinking top ten in the draft. And maybe we're more than a season away to get back to contender status.

The thing is, I'm still thinking about next year. We have a decent team right now with resources to be even better next year. I thought maybe we'd be mid to low seed playoff caliber next year. Now I'm thinking bigger. Do it right and we could be back to elite status sooner than later.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Emergence of Kyren has made our offense very dangerous. If we can straighten out our red zone play calling, we could do some damage....what's weird is that we may not even make the playoffs, especially after Seattle's win on Monday...We may have to win out...fun to think about anyway.