Rams’ Top Ten 2023 Offseason Moves that Produced a Playoff Contender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
From the home offices in Lake Mary, Florida, here are the top 10 2023 offseason moves that lead to the Rams being in playoff contention.

Number 10: Signing John Johnson III

Johnson’s playing time has increased, and he’s making plays. I also think his veteran presence is very important on a young defense with big games ahead of it to close out the season and, hopefully, get into the postseason tournament.

Number 9: Drafting Ethan Evans

Sure, he’s “just a punter.” But he’s a very good one (7th in yards/punt at 49.5) who, with a bit of seasoning (could sacrifice some distance for hang time) and better coverage, could be a real mainstay for the Rams.

Number 8: Signing Demarcus Robinson

His stats are not gaudy, but he has come on in recent weeks. While he isn’t the deep threat that Tutu Atwell is, his size and blocking ability make him a great fit in the Rams’ 11 personnel scheme along with Cooper Kupp and Tutu Atwell.

Number 7: Drafting Steve Avila

Avila is having a very good rookie year on an OL that has really turned things around after a disastrous 2022. He should only get better, and we are fortunate to have him for another 3 years on a rookie deal.

Number 6: Signing Ahkello Witherspoon

Though he’s no Jalen Ramsey, he has been a veteran presence that the CB corps really needed. He leads the Rams in interceptions (3), passes defended (13) and fumble recoveries (2). I find myself wishing we signed him to a second year team option, as he may have played to a level where he has priced himself out of our budget for 2024.

Number 5: Hiring Ryan Wendell

Better talent and health are certainly the primary reasons for the OL’s turnaround, but you also have to give a lot of credit to Wendell. His fresh perspective has lead to the Rams finding their “best 5,” even though doing so meant sending veterans like Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen to the bench. And, don’t forget, this is a guy who is only in his fifth year as a coach, and his first in charge of an OL.

Number 4: Drafting Kobie Turner

Turner was not a guy who was high on a lot of draft boards, but he has been a real find. 49 tackles, 5 sacks, 5 TFL and 2 PD so far, and he has Aaron Donald’s endorsement. That’s good enough for me!

Number 3: Drafting Byron Young

Another rookie who is producing in his first year (6 sacks – first among all rookies, 5 TFL, 2 forced fumbles, 55 tackles). Pass rushers usually hit their stride in years 2-3, so I’m excited to see how he develops. Its also nice to know that we obtained value from trading Jalen Ramsey (Young was selected with the pick acquired from the Dolphins).

Number 2: Trading for Kevin Dotson

Dotson is having a Pro Bowl caliber season, after knocking Joe Noteboom out of the starting lineup. He is going to be our top internal FA priority this offseason, in my opinion. Really makes up for the disappointment of Logan Bruss’ slow development/injuries.

Number 1: Drafting Puka Nacua

Was there any doubt? Puka has been a revelation, as he continues to break rookie receiving records. He is a unique talent, and a fantastic fit for the Rams’ offense. His presence has also made Matthew Stafford less reliant on Cooper Kupp. With both guys healthy, we have a great tandem for the stretch run. Plus, how can you not love Puka’s enthusiasm for the game? Its infectious.

TexasRam

Legend
Nice list. Incredible off-season haul.

I would put Avila at #1 if we are going order of impact.

I haven’t broken down the film yet but he had more than a few big time run blocks yesterday. He’s only going to get better there and I think PFF run blocking grade on him is way off. I think his pass blocking is elite. PFF has him at 56.8 overall which shows how screwed up their grading system is. I would have him no lower than 80. Reminds me of when Ramsey would shutdown a WR and dominate a game and they would give him a 50 rating for one mistake.

Puka also deserves that #1 spot based on how hard it is for a WR to come in and do what he has in year 1.Plus the 5th round value is insane.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I would like to add these pivotal in-season moves as well: Trading Cam Akers and Van Jefferson

We got rid of two "vets" that weren't different makers early on, allowing us to give Williams, Puka, and Tutu chances to develop and prove themselves w/o being pressured to give those two touches in contract years.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Johnson’s playing time has increased, and he’s making plays. I also think his veteran presence is very important on a young defense with big games ahead of it to close out the season and, hopefully, get into the postseason tournament.
Might even be higher than #10: not saying we would not have won it all without him, but Weddle made a huge difference in our secondary, and I think Johnson provides much the same thing for our young defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Number one, and it’s not close, was McVay figuring out what he wants for himself.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Number one, and it’s not close, was McVay figuring out what he wants for himself.
Extremely important…though not really a “move.” Maybe a non-move!

WestCoastRam

Legend
1) Switching to a mostly Duo/gap scheme run scheme.

1 1/2) 2-gapping our NT almost exclusively.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This is a pretty remarkable list when you consider that we had no first round pick and virtually no cap $ to spend.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I would like to add these pivotal in-season moves as well: Trading Cam Akers and Van Jefferson

We got rid of two "vets" that weren't different makers early on, allowing us to give Williams, Puka, and Tutu chances to develop and prove themselves w/o being pressured to give those two touches in contract years.
Agreed 100%.

I rooted for them both, but Cam seemed to have issues with being a we not me kind of guy, and VJ was, unfortunately, not a difference maker at all.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This topic is a tall, not a venti.
The only reason I know what that means is I'm the one who has to tell them the order at the Starbucks drive thru. Otherwise I woulda had no idea what that means. I'm a basic coffee drinker. Not a mocha frappuccino sugar free caramel drizzle with extra whip.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
From the home offices in Lake Mary, Florida, here are the top 10 2023 offseason moves that lead to the Rams being in playoff contention.

Have always been a big fan of his and was sad when he left. I believe JJ3 will not be back after this season, though.
Number 9: Drafting Ethan Evans
Sure, he’s “just a punter.” But he’s a very good one (7th in yards/punt at 49.5) who, with a bit of seasoning (could sacrifice some distance for hang time) and better coverage, could be a real mainstay for the Rams.
Agree 100% on the hang time/coverage remark. It seems like every time he booms one to get us out of trouble there’s at least a ten yard return. I know I am both biased and spoiled being such a huge Hekker fan, but Allen can be an all-pro too if he just learns some technique. He’s got the leg.
Number 8: Signing Demarcus Robinson
His stats are not gaudy, but he has come on in recent weeks. While he isn’t the deep threat that Tutu Atwell is, his size and blocking ability make him a great fit in the Rams’ 11 personnel scheme along with Cooper Kupp and Tutu Atwell.
He’s been playing great recently, but I laughed when you lauded his blocking. I must have missed a couple good ones.
Number 7: Drafting Steve Avila
Avila is having a very good rookie year on an OL that has really turned things around after a disastrous 2022. He should only get better, and we are fortunate to have him for another 3 years on a rookie deal.
There was one play on Sunday that sums him up and his rookie season. He jabbed a DL on a double team help and then got to the second level and bulled a LB. Neither defender was in on the tackle. What more do you want? His technique, effort, and results compare to a seasoned pro bowler. Sensational pick in that he is gonna be an anchor on a rookie contract.
Number 6: Signing Ahkello Witherspoon
Though he’s no Jalen Ramsey, he has been a veteran presence that the CB corps really needed. He leads the Rams in interceptions (3), passes defended (13) and fumble recoveries (2). I find myself wishing we signed him to a second year team option, as he may have played to a level where he has priced himself out of our budget for 2024.
He’s played very well but has lucked out on a few plays too; but isn’t that the life of EVERY DB? Not sure what it’s gonna cost to keep him, but if the Rams draft a CB early…
Number 5: Hiring Ryan Wendell
Better talent and health are certainly the primary reasons for the OL’s turnaround, but you also have to give a lot of credit to Wendell. His fresh perspective has lead to the Rams finding their “best 5,” even though doing so meant sending veterans like Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen to the bench. And, don’t forget, this is a guy who is only in his fifth year as a coach, and his first in charge of an OL.
The OL has not looked this fluid in years, including 2021.
Number 4: Drafting Kobie Turner
Turner was not a guy who was high on a lot of draft boards, but he has been a real find. 49 tackles, 5 sacks, 5 TFL and 2 PD so far, and he has Aaron Donald’s endorsement. That’s good enough for me!
Absolutely loved this pick when the Rams made it (even though I hadn’t considered it as a possibility). It’s guys like him that will allow the Rams to get more production from AD99 in the long run. Teams won’t be able to simply double and triple team AD while Turner continues to beat his blocker one on one.
Number 3: Drafting Byron Young
Another rookie who is producing in his first year (6 sacks – first among all rookies, 5 TFL, 2 forced fumbles, 55 tackles). Pass rushers usually hit their stride in years 2-3, so I’m excited to see how he develops. Its also nice to know that we obtained value from trading Jalen Ramsey (Young was selected with the pick acquired from the Dolphins).
Great use of that pick! Young appears to have hit a wall, though. He will develop his strength for the NFL next year, but his skills have already been demonstrated. He’s powerful and relentless. He chases down everything. He reminds me of AlecOgletree in that regard (before his career was ruined by being moved to MLB). You rarely see a play where Young ISNT in the frame when it ends.
Number 2: Trading for Kevin Dotson
Dotson is having a Pro Bowl caliber season, after knocking Joe Noteboom out of the starting lineup. He is going to be our top internal FA priority this offseason, in my opinion. Really makes up for the disappointment of Logan Bruss’ slow development/injuries.
A major and key piece to the success of this offense this season.
With Dotson out there, I always feel like the he Rams can and should try to establish the run. What a difference he has made.
Number 1: Drafting Puka Nacua
Was there any doubt? Puka has been a revelation, as he continues to break rookie receiving records. He is a unique talent, and a fantastic fit for the Rams’ offense. His presence has also made Matthew Stafford less reliant on Cooper Kupp. With both guys healthy, we have a great tandem for the stretch run. Plus, how can you not love Puka’s enthusiasm for the game? Its infectious.
This one is too easy.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Getting Dotson from the Steelers! Love it! Him becoming, arguably, a pro-bowler with us is amazing. He was a disaster with injuries and penalties while on the Steelers. Maybe the warm California weather has kept him in better health.
Great topic and thread AvengerRam, you benevolent troublemaker! Thanks for all you do.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The only reason I know what that means is I'm the one who has to tell them the order at the Starbucks drive thru. Otherwise I woulda had no idea what that means. I'm a basic coffee drinker. Not a mocha frappuccino sugar free caramel drizzle with extra whip.
Why can't they use S/M/L? I went there a few weeks ago to get a small iced coffee and forgot which size was which and ordered a venti.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I would like to add that getting Coach Aubrey Pleasant back in the fold has helped the defense tremendously.

We complain a lot on this board about the DBs and all but when you lose 3 starters and some key reserves I think he's done an excellent job overall.

Some are saying that he should be the choice to replace Raheem should he move on. I'm kinda liking that thought though as always, "In McSnead we trust!!"

Sidenote: couldn't help but notice you used the plural for the word "office." So how many do you have? An explanation is requested!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I would like to add that getting Coach Aubrey Pleasant back in the fold has helped the defense tremendously.

We complain a lot on this board about the DBs and all but when you lose 3 starters and some key reserves I think he's done an excellent job overall.

Some are saying that he should be the choice to replace Raheem should he move on. I'm kinda liking that thought though as always, "In McSnead we trust!!"

Sidenote: couldn't help but notice you used the plural for the word "office." So how many do you have? An explanation is requested!!

~ArkyRamsFan~
I’m kind of a franchise…and a big deal.