Rams to receive social media training

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Is there really a company that can provide social media training? For the love of Pete...
What's worse is that there's a NEED for one.

Anyone wanna help me start up a new Common Sense Camp for players who fall through the cracks?

What we need to do is come up with an app that sends us all a players social media posts for approval before they get posted. I've been saying that for a few years, it would be a goldmine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What we need to do is come up with an app that sends us all a players social media posts for approval before they get posted. I've been saying that for a few years, it would be a goldmine.
I'd do that.
Provided Babelfish came up with a Janoris-to-English translation algorithm.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
They treat these players like children. And for good reason, too many of them act like children...and worse. Idiots.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
For sure. I was an elevator mechanic for 20 years before I became a Consultant for the industry. But there was a real need for that and I did quite well in that endeavor. I wouldn't think that there's a need for Consultants to tell people how to behave when representing a 9 figure Organization, but apparently common sense is an outdated concept that to be re-taught by Professional tweeters. lol.
It's not that it's an outmoded concept. Someone is always looking for someone else to take the "responsibility" from and for the "responsible." It's easier to pay someone and then point to them and say "see.....we got this covered." As Metallica mourned.... "Sad but true."

jjab360

Legend
Want to stop irresponsible social media posts?

The players are warned that if the Rams come across a controversial social media post, they will determine if a fine is in order. It is at the sole discretion of the team.

First occurence: 5% of the player's annual salary
Second occurence: 10% of the player's annual salary
Third occurence, 25% and six game suspension
Fourth occurence, the player is released

Message to the player's: (like here on ROD), THINK before you post! If you even THINK your post might result in disciplanary action, don't do it!

I'm not sure if the penalties are enough... but they have to be enough for it to hurt the player's wallets.
...You mean like censorship? I'm pretty sure the NFLPA would have something to say about that.

I'm sure you mean well but those penalties are ridiculously harsh and way out of line, imo. If a player wants to hurt their brand by posting something irresponsible that's their personal problem and the natural repercussions should be consequence enough.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Is there really a company that can provide social media training? For the love of Pete...
What's worse is that there's a NEED for one.

Anyone wanna help me start up a new Common Sense Camp for players who fall through the cracks?

Another Obama jobs success story.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really surprised the NFL hasn't included something like this in the rookie symposium. Though I guess that would be something that has to be done in the CBA.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
nothing wrong with some common sense training, especially as it can come back to bite the player (and franchise) on the ass, unless we're talking about Kenny Britt's wife, where I'm more than happy for her to tweet or instagram any pictures of said ass! :whistle:

But seriously, these kids need some sort of guidance, we hear of international sports teams banning their players from social media during competitions and tours, and if it's breached they get sent back, its far too easy to get embroiled in a twitter rant about something with someone who's probably just trying to start an argument - I'm all for the SM training, Financial training, life coaches, whatever it takes to keep these young guys with newly found mega$$'s on the straight and narrow and out of trouble.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...You mean like censorship? I'm pretty sure the NFLPA would have something to say about that.

I'm sure you mean well but those penalties are ridiculously harsh and way out of line, imo. If a player wants to hurt their brand by posting something irresponsible that's their personal problem and the natural repercussions should be consequence enough.
Censorship? Maybe.

And perhaps the penalties are harsh... I don't know. But I have found that, unless the consequence is material (this applies to any consequence), it has little effect. But it still may be harsh. Just throwing an idea out there.

I disagree that it's only their personal problem.

These are public figures... whether they like it or not, they must be held to a higher standard... they represent the St. Louis Rams. When they hurt their own "brand", they hurt the St. Louis Rams brand as well.

That's why the Rams are trying to protect their brand by giving out this training.

I'm just saying it probably isn't enough IMO... some guy standing up in front of a room and telling them that they can do damage to themselves and the franchise probably won't deter them when they're out on the town "enjoying" themselves... that's when the "fun" starts.