Rams to receive social media training

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...0-be5b-c49e85670dce.html#.VX77z9oZ6Ls.twitter

A new company will help the Rams think before they tweet. The Rams are partnering with the newly-launched Social Media Sports Management (SM2) company to educate and train players on using social media.

The concept includes a 60-minute training and education program advising players to "Don't Be That Guy." The basic idea is to pause and think before tweeting or posting something on Facebook or other social media that could have career-changing consequences.

"With the evolution of social media, it is important for our players, coaches, and staff to understand the consequences of using social media irresponsibly," coach Jeff Fisher said, in a press release issued by the company.

The Social Media Sports Management staff includes Rams assistant head coach Dave McGinnis, former Rams player Will Witherspoon, and local attorney and sports agent Bob Lattinville among its group of media trainers and advisors.

McGinnis is featured on a "Don't Be That Guy" public service announcement as part of the company's launch.

The Rams are the first NFL team to use the company's services, but Auburn and TCU are doing so at the college level.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there really a company that can provide social media training? For the love of Pete...
What's worse is that there's a NEED for one.

Anyone wanna help me start up a new Common Sense Camp for players who fall through the cracks?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Want to stop irresponsible social media posts?

The players are warned that if the Rams come across a controversial social media post, they will determine if a fine is in order. It is at the sole discretion of the team.

First occurence: 5% of the player's annual salary
Second occurence: 10% of the player's annual salary
Third occurence, 25% and six game suspension
Fourth occurence, the player is released

Message to the player's: (like here on ROD), THINK before you post! If you even THINK your post might result in disciplanary action, don't do it!

I'm not sure if the penalties are enough... but they have to be enough for it to hurt the player's wallets.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Anyone who needs social media "training" is already pretty much a lost cause. You have to be some kind of stupid (ie. Gronk, 7hitStorm) to require a media filter because you can't stop making a dickhead of yourself and embarrassing yourself/family/team.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If I ever become a pro footballer (which at almost 34 seems unlikely) then the first thing I do is delete Twitter off my phone.

MrMotes

Starter
According to Kenny Britt, Fisher lets the players be themselves, on the field and off.

But why not offer financial and social media training? These players are coming into more money and more media attention than they've ever had before.

And if you want to maximize how much money you can make, on the field and off, it makes sense to be social medial savvy. Your image is your brand, and it can be worth a lot of money for a pro athlete, makes sense not to treat it lightly...

Last edited:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I would make all my players deactivate all their social media accounts during the season. Seriously.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
What about regular media, would you let them talk to reporters, go on tv, radio, etc.?
Their contract requires them to be available to the media, so yes. Social media is a different animal than just doing an interview on the radio, etc. It's more of a distraction (imo) since fans and other players talk noise, create drama, and things of that nature. That's just me, though.

MrMotes

Starter
Their contract requires them to be available to the media, so yes. Social media is a different animal than just doing an interview on the radio, etc. It's more of a distraction (imo) since fans and other players talk noise, create drama, and things of that nature. That's just me, though.

I hear you, but media is expanding to include all kinds of new stuff so probably makes sense to give them some social media training. I'm sure they already get regular media training...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.

As a general rule, those types of media interactions are pretty structured.

Social media is a free-for-all where anyone can basically write anything they want.... any time they want.

Apples and oranges IMO.

You can try to teach these guys how to behave in the social media world... but, when they're out with their friends (especially during off season) and getting high/drunk, no amount of training will likely stop that.

Monetary fines and possible suspension? That might work.

But even then.... social media training is like throwing marshmallows at a battleship. :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You mean you wouldn't catch Kenny Britt banging his wife on ESPN?
That only happens on Instagram?

MrMotes

Starter
The Rams didn't fine Britt, didn't fine Cook and the other hands up players, seems they're more into free speech than controlling their players, which is pretty much what Britt said. Let Kenny be Kenny, let Janoris be Janoris...

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Is there really a company that can provide social media training? For the love of Pete...
What's worse is that there's a NEED for one.

Anyone wanna help me start up a new Common Sense Camp for players who fall through the cracks?
If there ever is a way for someone to grab a consulting fee....... they will.

I once had a buddy who wasn't real good at his job being a customer rep for AT&T and got fired. A year or so later, they brought him back to consult w/ others in his dept on how they could do a better job and he was paid much more for it. If you have the gift of gab......you can talk someone into something, if you are willing. (And who that guy is, is a story within itself.....but it's for another time....)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If there ever is a way for someone to grab a consulting fee....... they will.

I once had a buddy who wasn't real good at his job being a customer rep for AT&T and got fired. A year or so later, they brought him back to consult w/ others in his dept on how they could do a better job and he was paid much more for it. If you have the gift of gab......you can talk someone into something, if you are willing. (And who that guy is, is a story within itself.....but it's for another time....)
For sure. I was an elevator mechanic for 20 years before I became a Consultant for the industry. But there was a real need for that and I did quite well in that endeavor. I wouldn't think that there's a need for Consultants to tell people how to behave when representing a 9 figure Organization, but apparently common sense is an outdated concept that needs to be re-taught by Professional tweeters. lol.