Rams to let Suh test FA Market

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes sense. Also check nfl network and twitter/facebook because McVay and Snead will be interviewed at the combine today after 9am.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Its supposedly a great draft for DLinemen . If this is true, it may hold his price down a little.

I'm curious to see what his worth is to other teams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Its supposedly a great draft for DLinemen . If this is true, it may hold his price down a little.

I'm curious to see what his worth is to other teams.

Yeah I also think that will be the case. This draft is pretty incredible for them and have to believe it will affect the FA market.

I'm sure the Rams have a number in mind with Suh, but the bigger concern for me is his play during the season. If we bring him back will we get the guy we saw in the playoffs? Because that dude is worth bringing back.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Yeah I also think that will be the case. This draft is pretty incredible for them and have to believe it will affect the FA market.

I'm sure the Rams have a number in mind with Suh, but the bigger concern for me is his play during the season. If we bring him back will we get the guy we saw in the playoffs? Because that dude is worth bringing back.

The question is what if you can't have both Suh's for the entire season. I'd still resign regular and playoff Suh.

dang

Legend
I would hope the Rams would want Suh for the right price. Say 3 years $10m/year. If he can get 3 years $14m/year from another team - that probably puts the Rams out of the running.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Another concern I have wrt our changeover to the 3-4 up front is depth. Regardless of whether they can get Suh on an affordable-enough contract to keep him (which of course is doubtful) we would still be well served by adding good rotational depth.

I really like the way the Pats stacked their depth to allow for adjusting what they want to do up front. IMO the Rams might borrow a bit from that this offseason so whatever happens in FA I figure we're going to draft a good interior DL.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
He was great in the playoffs, however will likely want too much money. I would let him go if it meant ensuring we keep Brockers and draft another d-lineman.

Ram65

Legend
I would hope the Rams would want Suh for the right price. Say 3 years $10m/year. If he can get 3 years $14m/year from another team - that probably puts the Rams out of the running.

It will be interesting. I think Suh's days of being a top paid defensive lineman are over.

He did play a lot of downs last year and stays healthy which gives teams that sign him value. There is only so much cap space and a number of needs. Brockers has a long Rams history. Who would you want to keep at $10M a year?

That sounds about right for Suh at this stage of his career. There is a big cap in average salary from #16 to #17.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Suh already got his money, from Detroit and Miami. Now he wants a ring. he's said it more than once.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Another concern I have wrt our changeover to the 3-4 up front is depth. Regardless of whether they can get Suh on an affordable-enough contract to keep him (which of course is doubtful) we would still be well served by adding good rotational depth.

I really like the way the Pats stacked their depth to allow for adjusting what they want to do up front. IMO the Rams might borrow a bit from that this offseason so whatever happens in FA I figure we're going to draft a good interior DL.
I figure the same the preference is to take full advantage of the below:

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/DL?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's a good point, but we know that the opening few days of free agency are called silly season because of the silly contracts.

I hope they can keep him. One less hole and it frees up picks and other money for other positions.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Probably a good idea to let him test FA. I'd like him back.

My stance is still this, we can't lose both Suh and Brockers.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I am afraid you're right about this. Ideally we need a true NT and a stout 3-4 DE opposite Donald. And someone to replace Fowler if he walks. And a real ILB to pair with Littleton. And a FS, and maybe another CB to backup Talib & Peters when one or the other gets hurt.
Gosh, we suddenly got holes in our D....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Which is why creating two massive holes in the DT room by losing both Brock and Suh would be a big mistake IMO.

A defensive front that got us to the big game no less. Can't keep everyone i get that, but you have to be conscious of losing things like experience(playoff exp) and continuity when retooling a position room due to things like cap and contracts. I think we can absorb losing one of these two(Brock or Suh) for cap reasons but i would be very cautious of trying stay competitively elite up front by trying to replace both in one offseason.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Which is why creating two massive holes in the DT room by losing both Brock and Suh would be a big mistake IMO.

A defensive front that got us to the big game no less. Can't keep everyone i get that, but you have to be conscious of losing things like experience(playoff exp) and continuity when retooling a position room due to things like cap and contracts. I think we can absorb losing one of these two(Brock or Suh) for cap reasons but i would be very cautious of trying stay competitively elite up front by trying to replace both in one offseason.
I'm with you.
The last thing I want are 2 rookies playing next to Donald. Even if uber talented.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Disagree on both guys. Suh is a perfect Phillips NT when he's playing disciplined football. Brockers is a better 3-4 DE than 4-3 NT, but I don't know what happened to him during the regular season.

I am afraid you're right about this. Ideally we need a true NT and a stout 3-4 DE opposite Donald. And someone to replace Fowler if he walks. And a real ILB to pair with Littleton. And a FS, and maybe another CB to backup Talib & Peters when one or the other gets hurt.

That's not happening. That's not the scheme. This isn't a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4. Wade doesn't want a stout 3-4 DE. He wants an athletic guy who can defeat blocks and make plays behind the LOS. He wants the same at NT. The best we can hope for at NT is an athletic big guy (like Dontari Poe). Wade doesn't want his DLs occupying blockers. He wants them making plays in the backfield. This is a Phillips 3-4. It's premised on the DLs disrupting.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001019311/article/rams-definitely-interested-in-keeping-suh-fowler

"The biggest thing you look at with Ndamukong, outstanding job in the playoffs where he was really affecting the game in a variety of ways," McVay said of Suh. "You saw why he's been such a force throughout the course of his career. He's definitely somebody that I think we're very interested in."

Fowler
Dante Fowler did such a great job of making an impact in a variety of games. You look at the forced fumble he forces against Seattle that leads to a touchdown that ends up being the difference in winning and losing that game," McVay said. "You look at him forcing the errant pass in the NFC Championship Game. He made a handful of plays in the run game, he had a great third-down stop in the run game where he comes back underneath against New England.

"He's definitely a guy we're interested in bringing back, but similar to Ndamukong, you know they're going to have some interest."