Rams to have pre-draft visit with big bodied Richmond FS David Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_e4be5c1b4dd24957baafec8a4c7caf52~mv2.webp

The Rams have scheduled their second of 30 private visits with the small school stud from Richmond David Jones according to Greg Auman.

David Jones is a 6-foot-3 and 215 pound safety that suffered his second forearm fracture of his career in the same game the picture up top was taken in versus Albany. Jones has worked hard to get back to where he needs to be and offers some intriguing potential with his big size at the safety spot and his elite speed which he showcased at his pro day in running a 4.43 forty yard dash. He also flashes some serious game-breaking ability with his run after the catch and his ability to pick up passes like a receiver. His hands are above average for a defensive back and if he ever gets the chance he could make some noise as a starting safety.

Jones is likely going to be a free safety in the NFL but he may need to earn his way into that role by showing he can be a special teams contributor. It's very intriguing the Rams scheduled a visit with a 6-foot-3 free safety to start off a long process of scheduling visits. Does Wade Phillips want a lot of size in the back end of the secondary? It sure could be the case with Jones.

Here is Jones' highlight tape for your viewing pleasure:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, the last guy they drafted named David Jones worked out pretty good

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
227364_e4be5c1b4dd24957baafec8a4c7caf52~mv2.webp

The Rams have scheduled their second of 30 private visits with the small school stud from Richmond David Jones according to Greg Auman.

David Jones is a 6-foot-3 and 215 pound safety that suffered his second forearm fracture of his career in the same game the picture up top was taken in versus Albany. Jones has worked hard to get back to where he needs to be and offers some intriguing potential with his big size at the safety spot and his elite speed which he showcased at his pro day in running a 4.43 forty yard dash. He also flashes some serious game-breaking ability with his run after the catch and his ability to pick up passes like a receiver. His hands are above average for a defensive back and if he ever gets the chance he could make some noise as a starting safety.

Jones is likely going to be a free safety in the NFL but he may need to earn his way into that role by showing he can be a special teams contributor. It's very intriguing the Rams scheduled a visit with a 6-foot-3 free safety to start off a long process of scheduling visits. Does Wade Phillips want a lot of size in the back end of the secondary? It sure could be the case with Jones.

Here is Jones' highlight tape for your viewing pleasure:

The viewing never came through , but I sort of like The Rams to take there time on a few of these pre-draft visits. I think it adds a personal touch to get to know a player. On the higher end guys not so much , because you get the combine as well.. You can compare them in size & interaction with other potential draft picks.
With The Rams this season as well with out a 1st. Rd , they will bring more later rd players in as well ? Why waste a visit on a player that is not going to be around , unless he might be worthy to trade up for if he falls to a certain spot ?
Thanks for update . I like the insite

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
David Jones is a 6-foot-3 and 215 pound safety that suffered his second forearm fracture of his career in the same game the picture up top was taken in versus Albany. Jones has worked hard to get back to where he needs to be and offers some intriguing potential with his big size at the safety spot and his elite speed which he showcased at his pro day in running a 4.43 forty yard dash.
Now that's what I'm talking bout! And some of yall wanna move Joyner back there.....ahahahahahahahahah Son of bum probably wants a hulk back there...patrolling. I'll go look at the highlight tape Jake...when you put it up here....
Any more info on this kid?

edit
Here's what I got

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The viewing never came through , but I sort of like The Rams to take there time on a few of these pre-draft visits. I think it adds a personal touch to get to know a player. On the higher end guys not so much , because you get the combine as well.. You can compare them in size & interaction with other potential draft picks.
With The Rams this season as well with out a 1st. Rd , they will bring more later rd players in as well ? Why waste a visit on a player that is not going to be around , unless he might be worthy to trade up for if he falls to a certain spot ?
Thanks for update . I like the insite
I agree man. People will keep saying visits don't matter cause the Rams don't draft the guys they visit with and to that I say this. HOL UP! Don't clump Fisher's piss poor mistakes with the Rams as a whole. You don't know how the Rams will be with these pre draft visits. For all we know Fisher wasted his on guys that they knew they weren't going to pick. These visits I think are for real and we should keep a close eye on all 30 visits.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Now that's what I'm talking bout! And some of yall wanna move Joyner back there.....ahahahahahahahahah Son of bum probably wants a hulk back there...patrolling. I'll go look at the highlight tape Jake...when you put it up here....
Any more info on this kid?

edit
Here's what I got

Sorry the media didn't go through sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. On the preview it was there so that's annoying. LOL that is my thought exactly and if we aren't going to get a hulk out there I still don't want Joyner patrolling FS. Don't break a guy that took this long to make a name. Joyner was the top NCB in the NFL per PFF last year and NOW you want to move him to FS? You have to be kidding me? He's 5-8 just because Weddle and Thomas do it at 5-9 doesn't mean Joyner can do it at 5-8. Get Fish Smithson or now David Jones and I will be happy. I love Randolph but I just want a great group where we know it will be a fun battle and whoever wins the job will rightfully win the job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree man. People will keep saying visits don't matter cause the Rams don't draft the guys they visit with and to that I say this. HOL UP! Don't clump Fisher's tick poor mistakes with the Rams as a whole. You don't know how the Rams will be with these pre draft visits. For all we know Fisher wasted his on guys that they knew they weren't going to pick. These visits I think are for real and we should keep a close eye on all 30 visits.

McVay said he didn't scout Jared Goff because the Skins were not drafting a top QB . He did say he knew him through an interview & liked him as a person .

I think I heard that through some of the coaches , that they like different players through the interview & scouting from the draft.
It makes a big difference on players when they become FA's or released . It's about building relationships in your trade. They also help a player become a better man from the interviewing process.

-- You talk about Les Snead but he & his scouting team do an excellent job late in the draft on player you may never really have heard from.
--You(I)can tell that by the way the roster has been built the last 5 years.

Les has been big on the Senior Bowl. Isahi Pead was an MVP & if you look at the history of players that won the award have gone on to do very well .
Aaron Donald I'm sure Les Snead really liked from the Senior Bowl. The GM's get to talk with players as well.
Gillyard was a kid from Cinncy(Barwin is a different cat) , & Same with I. Pead .
Learning ,focusing , & getting reps in OTA's & mini camp are huge for rookies.
Cinncy is on a quarterly semester which effects OTA's & gives players more chances to get into trouble. Pead as it is was seriously effected in his NFL career because of it. He got behind & never caught up. Just a fumble in a game preseason can label you.

Dam Prescott won the award last season over Wence

jap

Legend
David Jones looks like a cyldesdale with the grace of a gazelle. He might develop into a legitimate Sheriff of the secondary.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
McVay said he didn't scout Jared Goff because the Skins were not drafting a top QB . He did say he knew him through an interview & liked him as a person .

I think I heard that through some of the coaches , that they like different players through the interview & scouting from the draft.
It makes a big difference on players when they become FA's or released . It's about building relationships in your trade. They also help a player become a better man from the interviewing process.

-- You talk about Les Snead but he & his scouting team do an excellent job late in the draft on player you may never really have heard from.
--You(I)can tell that by the way the roster has been built the last 5 years.

Les has been big on the Senior Bowl. Isahi Pead was an MVP & if you look at the history of players that won the award have gone on to do very well .
Aaron Donald I'm sure Les Snead really liked from the Senior Bowl. The GM's get to talk with players as well.
Gillyard was a kid from Cinncy(Barwin is a different cat) , & Same with I. Pead .
Learning ,focusing , & getting reps in OTA's & mini camp are huge for rookies.
Cinncy is on a quarterly semester which effects OTA's & gives players more chances to get into trouble. Pead as it is was seriously effected in his NFL career because of it. He got behind & never caught up. Just a fumble in a game preseason can label you.

Dam Prescott won the award last season over Wence
Funny you brought up how a semester could affect OTAs and mini camp. Guess what? We had a guy like that this past year by the name of Cory Littleton. I said watch out for this kid he's going to make the team even though he is missing the rookie mini camp. He had a semester of school to finish before he could graduate once he did that he showed off how quick of a learner he was. He made the roster and on top of that became the Rams ROY as voted on by teammates and coaches. Huge honor for a kid that was taken off the streets.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've heard he's on the last train to Clarksville.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Very impressive videos, indeed.

Then again, all highlight videos look good, huh?

Several of those ints were poorly thrown balls. But it's clear that the kid has excellent hands and vision. Size and speed, too. Love the way he tackles.

Wonder where he is projected to go in this draft? I'm intrigued, tbh.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Very impressive videos, indeed.

Then again, all highlight videos look good, huh?

Several of those ints were poorly thrown balls. But it's clear that the kid has excellent hands and vision. Size and speed, too. Love the way he tackles.

Wonder where he is projected to go in this draft? I'm intrigued, tbh.
I have him as a 5th round grade because he hasn't played ball since October. However, if you are a fan of Obi Melifonwu. I honestly think this kid could end up being just as good or better. Melifonwu doesn't play to the speed he runs in the 40. Jones does.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Funny you brought up how a semester could affect OTAs and mini camp. Guess what? We had a guy like that this past year by the name of Cory Littleton. I said watch out for this kid he's going to make the team even though he is missing the rookie mini camp. He had a semester of school to finish before he could graduate once he did that he showed off how quick of a learner he was. He made the roster and on top of that became the Rams ROY as voted on by teammates and coaches. Huge honor for a kid that was taken off the streets.

For sure , but it did show his character & he was playing catch up most of camp.

Snead talked about how much Tyler Higbee should improve because of injury from the start of the season.

Now that I think about it he missed a lot of OTA's because of injury & court stuff ?? Either way it should be fun to watch how much all last years rookies improve with the new coaching staff.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
For sure , but it did show his character & he was playing catch up most of camp.

Snead talked about how much Tyler Higbee should improve because of injury from the start of the season.

Now that I think about it he missed a lot of OTA's because of injury & court stuff ?? Either way it should be fun to watch how much all last years rookies improve with the new coaching staff.
Very much agree. I am just happy I have people here that go past just the gridiron and numbers and are interested in literal circumstances that can't be measured.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This FS class is deep af there are a lot of ballhawks coming out

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This kid is the real deal. I was all for drafting a safety in 3round but if we are able to get him with the second 4th round pick you do it. He tackles low which I love he wraps up so no broken tackles. He has the leaping ability to jump with any receiver in the league and his hands are phenomenal. He has the best hands I have seen out of any of the DB's.