Rams to gain $5.5 million in cap space Tuesday from Gurley's release

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Sooooo... I think we're not gonna look at Warford based on what Snead and McVay have said, but for those who really study the OL, would he be a good fit in our blocking scheme?

Forget the money for the purposes of this question, just trying to get opinions on if he'd be a fit.

You just asked the $64K question, Mac.

I’m wondering the same damned thing. ‘Cause if he’s not, then this is a moot point.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Outstanding point, flv.

Something we’ve gotta give serious consideration to in this current environment.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is only one contract killing the cap right now. and that is Cook's with over $21M in dead money. How can you say it was bad management when his trade was injury-related the same as Gurley's. Both will be carried as Post June 1 releases so they will be able to split it over two years. The other was Rob Havenstein's contract. If he can return to form then it's $6.2 M won't be burdensome. But the team also structured an out after this year. Which is why I believe Edwards or Evans was drafted to replace him in 2021. They restructured it to give them some cap space but left themselves the out after this year. So Havenstein is on notice that it's basically a contract year for him.

Nothing I've seen indicates bad cap management. They had no way of anticipating both Cooks and Gurley's injuries when their contracts were written. The only one of the players with caution flags on him was Rob and his 2017 poor play. But with him they left themselves an out and covered themselves by drafting potential replacements.

When the media criticizes the so-called bad cap management it's with 20/20 hindsight. Not a single one of them thought that way when these 3 guys were extended. So IMO their criticism is baseless. The cap is legal fiction as it can be manipulated by simply reallocating the debt. Was it bad cap management to build in a pre-designated restructure in Goff's contract? That alone actually shows they are aware of potential issues. There is no way when these contracts were written they could have known about the unprecedented pandemic and having to play without fans this year.

When you factor in everything into context, there is nothing that would indicate bad management. Look at the talent on this roster. This team was built according to a plan, it wasn't an accident. The roster was built while remaining a contender. I didn't hear anyone on this board being critical of bad cap management in 2018. This is why McVay and Snead are correct in their assertions that they aren't rebuilding, they are reloading.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I imagine the post-June 1st designation is why the Rams organization waiting on paying out Gurley?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Larry Warford Targeting $7MM

May 11th, 2020 at 1:46pm CST by Sam Robinson

Amassing a rare surplus of interior offensive linemen, the Saints released Larry Warford last week. In doing so, the team made one of the league’s better guards a mid-May free agent.

The Saints signed Warford to a four-year, $34MM deal back in 2017, and the three-time Pro Bowler wants to pick up nearly where he left off. The soon-to-be 29-year-old blocker is believed to be targeting around $7MM per year on his next deal, per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (video link).

Twenty guards are currently signed for more than $7MM AAV; several are much less accomplished. Even at a point when NFL teams have mostly assembled their depth charts, this makes Warford’s ask quite reasonable. In three years with the Saints, Warford made three Pro Bowls. While each trip came as an alternate, he was still a key part of one of the NFL’s best offenses.

The Texans and Bears immediately surfaced as suitors. While the Bears are no longer believed to be in the mix, Rapoport adds that the former Lions third-round pick has already received plenty of interest. Warford has never missed more than three games in a season and has started all 101 NFL games in which he’s played.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get creative Kevin! :horns: :biggrin: :horns:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Get creative Kevin! :horns: :biggrin: :horns:
Do you sign him if it costs you a Kupp or a John Johnson?

I wouldn't. If it was a position where the Rams had no young depth or quality depth like C, maybe, but you gotta develop all these young guards that you have. They are cheap and if you feel they can develop into good players you pass on this guy.

Otherwise it will cost you a future young building block player unless you get him on a 1 yr deal.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

I wouldn't. If it was a position where the Rams had no young depth or quality depth like C, maybe, but you gotta develop all these young guards that you have. They are cheap and if you feel they can develop into good players you pass on this guy.

Otherwise it will cost you a future young building block player unless you get him on a 1 yr deal.
I agree, if Warford could be that stud C we never got in the draft or F/A, I'd say yeah, it's worth a John Johnson, but maybe not a Kupp.
Lol, wut did I just type??
Anyway, I guess we'll see what the Rams do, I assume that $5.5m is already spent.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree, if Warford could be that stud C we never got in the draft or F/A, I'd say yeah, it's worth a John Johnson, but maybe not a Kupp.
Lol, wut did I just type??
Anyway, I guess we'll see what the Rams do, I assume that $5.5m is already spent.

Likely will be used for an extension directly or will carry over as much as they can for next year.

The rookie class will take up less than $2M since their salaries mostly get offset by the players on the top 51/53 that they replace.

Correction... I guess it will be 55 in the end.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams need operating capital during the season 3-4 Million. He is too at t expensive at $7Mil per year at this point. I thought Warford had gained weight and was not the same player he was a few years ago. Rams sink or swim with the offensive line roster they have. They could sign another player but, for much less if they feel it's worth it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I consider Johnson to be gone in FA after the season. So yes, I would sign him.

Developing OL is fine btw. I just don't think the group is as talented as most others here.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Again at the time when the Rams signed Gurley I was for it and that happens with players & injuries especially in the NFL, however, I also believe they made the right move in drafting a running back early because it's crucial to McVay's offense and he had a few choices in the 2nd round & went with Akers.

Same here on the signing.At the time he was arguably the best RB in the NFL.
Everything I have read about the Gurley and Cooke signing's are condemning Snead for his colossal blunders.
I guess any GM worth his salt, should be able to throw some chicken bones on the floor and predict
these career changing injuries.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's why I always order the Beef.

dang

Legend
The plan has been set in motion for the OL. Infuse talented but affordable players annually. I don’t see them bringing in top or even medium $$ vets. As a result unless Hav gets back to 2018 form or better I believe he will be gone next year. If Corbett pays off this year it reinforces this plan.