Rams take Battle!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, I like this as far as looking at him as a 2016 pick. Get him in to camp, the weight room, in touch with team counselors, in with the D coaching staff and work his ass off. He'll be way ahead of the curve next year. Thing is how do you do that without using up a roster spot? Can't risk trying to hide him on practice squad can you? I don't think there is another option unless there is some kind of NCAA school waiver.

Big Willie

Starter
If I believe what I have read, he is an athletic, physically weak, dope smoking, project who has missed OTAs and is behind the other players for a number of reasons. He will take some time to develop and mature to compete for a roster spot. Depending how the other OL fare this preseason, chances are he will end up on IR to redshirt him. He probably won't survive other teams poaching him from the practice squad and the Rams won't want to carry him on the active roster if he can't help them this year unless they have no other option.

If in 2016 he wins an OT spot and Havenstein has to go to the bench or GRob is playing Guard, I could care less about their draft positions if that OL dominates. The difference in draft position is only money....and fortunately for me, it's not my money. (Besides, why focus on the negatives... Revel in the fact that a lower draft choice exceeded all expectations. Can you say glass more than half full?)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's exactly what I am saying. The Point is moot. The Rams and the front office drafted Robinson to be a NFL franchise left tackle, and he will be.

In 1994 the Colts had the #2 overall pick, just like the Rams did when they drafted the LT Robinson. If they had drafted the guard Larry Allen at #2, sure, hindsight would have most likely looked at the pick favorably.

You know who they drafted instead?

Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk.

That is the point, though. You can find Larry Allen in the second round, 44 picks after you take Marshall effing Faulk. In fact, the Colts did go Guard at the top of Round 2, but they drafted Eric Mahlum instead of Allen.

You don't pass on Marshall effing Faulk to draft Larry Allen #2 overall, and if you do, you should be fired on the spot without a second's hesitation. If the Rams projected Robinson to play Left Guard and drafted him anyways, which they didn't/don't, that entire front office would have deserved to have lost their jobs. Luckily for them, and us, they did not do that, and Robinson will develop into a very fine LT, even if he never once makes a pro bowl, which he will someday.

This logic is faulty though. You can get HoF running backs in any round. You can get HoFers in any position in any round even UDFA.

Your logic we can get Marshall Faulk and Dermontti Dawson. We can also end up with Gene Upshaw and Thurman Thomas. Or with recent players you can get Kyle Long, a Pro Bowl 1st round guard and LeVeon Bell a Pro Bowl 2nd round RB(who also did something last year that only Marshall Faulk had ever done before). Get over the rounds people are taken in and look to see if they turn out to be good picks and good fits for the team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the guy is an enormous risk, given his suspensions/issues and the fact that he's a project. But the Rams played this pretty well...

5th round pick for a guy with potential to start at either OT spot? Uh, yeah. Even with issues, who cares? It's worth it. High whiff chance at that spot anyway and the Rams have been quoted as saying they don't like next year's draft depth right?

What the hell, go all in. Bravo Snead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's exactly what I am saying. The Point is moot. The Rams and the front office drafted Robinson to be a NFL franchise left tackle, and he will be.

In 1994 the Colts had the #2 overall pick, just like the Rams did when they drafted the LT Robinson. If they had drafted the guard Larry Allen at #2, sure, hindsight would have most likely looked at the pick favorably.

You know who they drafted instead?

Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk.

That is the point, though. You can find Larry Allen in the second round, 44 picks after you take Marshall effing Faulk. In fact, the Colts did go Guard at the top of Round 2, but they drafted Eric Mahlum instead of Allen.

You don't pass on Marshall effing Faulk to draft Larry Allen #2 overall, and if you do, you should be fired on the spot without a second's hesitation. If the Rams projected Robinson to play Left Guard and drafted him anyways, which they didn't/don't, that entire front office would have deserved to have lost their jobs. Luckily for them, and us, they did not do that, and Robinson will develop into a very fine LT, even if he never once makes a pro bowl, which he will someday.

This is kind of ironic. Because people used the same argument you're making to argue against the Todd Gurley pick.

I don't think you'd support this sort of argument for Faulk or Gurley. Why would you support for Larry Allen? It's just as ridiculous.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Rams wisely bolster O-line depth
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2205e11b-90a1-5a78-bd03-91838b2e3b8d.html

By adding still another offensive tackle prospect to the pile, the Rams made their fan base feel somewhat better about their offensive line.

They made rare use of the NFL's supplemental draft Thursday, burning a fifth-round pick in 2016 to select former Clemson tackle Isaiah Battle.

Battle was the only player taken in this supplemental draft and first player selected in this manner since star-crossed wide receiver Josh Gordon went to the Cleveland Browns in 2012. Every other NFL team "passed" on every round Thursday.

Battle played left tackle last season, starting 11 games and playing more snaps (824) than any other Tiger. He played in 27 games overall before leaving Clemson, saying he had "some family matters to address, with a child due this summer."

Like most players who land in the supplemental draft, Battle had other off-field issues that jeopardized his college eligibility. Multiple reports cited failed drug tests as a mitigating circumstance for his early departure from college.

But most NFL teams sent a representative to his pro day workout Tuesday and Battle made his case. There was speculation he could go somewhere in the first four rounds, but he fell to the Rams with the eighth overall pick in Round 5.

Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau just got another prized pupil. Battle joins 2015 draft picks Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann on the rookie-heavy unit.

Havenstein was running with the first team during Rams OTAs, thanks to his solid run blocking, while Brown moved inside as the No. 1 right guard.

CBSSports.com notes that Battle is something of a project, albeit an interesting one:

Physically speaking, Battle is exactly what NFL scouts are looking for at the tackle position. His combination of height (6-foot-6, 312 pounds), arm length (35 3/8") and easy movement make Battle a potentially formidable pass blocker as edge rushers struggle to get around him. He's also quick to the second level when run blocking and can re-direct to hit moving targets once there.

While undeniably gifted, Battle remains quite raw and some scouts questioned whether he had the competitiveness to ever take full advantage of his talent. Battle offers only average functional strength at this time and too often bends at the waist rather than at the knees, which leaves him vulnerable to the bull rush and counters back to the inside.

Concerns about Battle's playing strength were only inflamed after he completed just 12 repetitions of 225 pounds at his Pro Day workout before cramping up. As a point of comparison, the lowest number of repetitions in the bench press by any tackle selected in the 2015 draft was 16 ... from Havenstein.

So he has some work to do, having missed all of the offseason work leading up to the start of training camp later this month. But Battle appears to have the athletic potential to work out over the long haul with the Rams, assuming he stays out of trouble.

Battle's upside as a pass blocker could prove critical if top 2014 draft pick Greg Robinson keeps struggling with that aspect of his game.

If he pans out, Battle will create a more competitive camp and allow the Rams to develop quality line depth. He is far more likely to do that one of the street free agents the Rams brought into the mix after last season.

And who knows, maybe they found a gem. The fifth-round pick in '16 was a modest price to pay for real athletic potential. Battle has a chance to be the best of the rookie linemen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The only downside I see; won't most of our online become free agents at the exact same time?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only downside I see; won't most of our online become free agents at the exact same time?

There should be a couple of years in there to sort out grob, saffold and Jones(fingers crossed) before this year's crop.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That is an issue. Presumably they will try to lock the better ones up before that happens, and let the depth walk. At least that should get the Rams a comp pick or two.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I guess the reason you take him in the 5th is because you don't think he will be there in the 6th.

It is not fair, but this guy will forever be compared to La'El Collins in Rams country.

Shouldn't be. Battle is an OT. Collins is an NFL OG.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

If Rams pick up the 5th year option on GRob then potentially 6 linemen could be FA at the same time. The odds are that not all of this year's rooks will be around 4 years from now or worthy of keeping for a second contract. If all 5 of this year's rook limen are on the team by then then the Rams surely drafted well this offseason IMO.

If Battle were "Stashed" on IR if then he would not be allowed to practice with the team but he could still rehab/workout :whistle: though.

Big Willie

Starter
Good call. If the Rams take the option on GRob, every last one of them drafted the last two years would be free agents the same year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-clemsons-isaiah-battle-in-supplemental-draft

...Rams general manager Les Snead said Thursday that Battle will basically get a redshirt season in 2015.

"We felt it was an opportunity to get an earlier round value for a later round price," Snead said in a release from the team. "He's going to practice what would've been his final year of college eligibility with us, go through our offseason program, and then start his rookie season a year from now.

"This will allow us to bring him along gradually both on and off the field. Now it's up to Isaiah and us to go work to reach his potential as a person and player."

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ts-breaking-down-isaiah-battles-fit-with-rams

NFL Supplemental Draft 2015 Results: Breaking Down Isaiah Battle's Fit with Rams

By Alec Nathan, Featured Columnist

hi-res-589beeeaf26275846ec98d5a4e5a8d9f_crop_north.jpg

The St. Louis Rams bucked recent trends Thursday by spending a 2016 fifth-round draft choice in this year's supplemental selection process to pick former Clemson left tackle Isaiah Battle.

Battle was the first player picked in the NFL's supplemental draft since 2012, when the Cleveland Browns spent a second-round selection to nab Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon.

According to a statement from Rams general manager Les Snead, via ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner, the team is willing to be patient and use its resources to properly hone Battle's skills:

We felt it was an opportunity to get an earlier round value for a later round price. He's going to practice what would've been his final year of college eligibility with us, go through our offseason program, and then start his rookie season a year from now. This will allow us to bring him along gradually both on and off the field. Now it's up to Isaiah and us to go work to reach his potential as a person and player.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller agreed with the Rams' approach:

Matt Miller ✔@nfldraftscout
Isaiah Battle to the #Rams. Solid spot for him. They can afford to be patient with his development, too.

From a pure need standpoint, St. Louis' selection makes sense.

Last season, the Rams graded out as the second-worst offensive line in football, according to Pro Football Focus. Based on PFF's evaluation, St. Louis finished 28th in run blocking, 30th in pass blocking and 28th in penalties.

And with the fairly immobile Nick Foles now penciled in as the team's starter under center, the Rams are going to need all the help and upside they can get from their big bodies up front in order to keep him upright.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, St. Louis' offensive line underwent some major renovations during the offseason as a result:

ESPN Stats & Info ✔@ESPNStatsInfo
Of the Rams' 5 OL starters in Week 1 last season, only 1 (Roger Saffold) is still with the team. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/619202273302978560 …

As for Battle himself, Sporting News' Eric Galko broke down the skills that made the 22-year-old an appealing supplemental draft target.

"He’d fit best in a quick pass protection due to his strengths in pivot control and quick hand exchange to limit quick rush moves," Galkowrote. "His kick slide footwork and patience is impressive and controlled. Battle does play a bit too high for long driving run blocks, but does make contact at first at the second level. He meets with his hands well before engaging blockers and adjusts fluidly to keep his block controlled."

From a raw athletic standpoint, Battle appears to fit the basic profile of a modern offensive tackle. He's 6'6'', 312 pounds and ran a 5.21 40-yard dash at his pro day. However, he still has plenty of work to do when it comes to the refinement of his technical skills.

hi-res-566f6c6738df8150f9aee17126da08cd_crop_exact.jpg

Grant Halverson/Getty Images

Since Battle isn't an overpowering presence right now, he could struggle initially when matched up against edge rushers who rely on power to pursue the quarterback. That concern is amplified with a slow and deliberate mover like Foles slinging the ball. However, Foleshas experience with quick-strike passing concepts dating back to his time with Chip Kelly and the Philadelphia Eagles, and he proved to be proficient in that scheme before suffering a string of injuries.

If the Rams can put Foles in a position to make similar decisions, Battle could eventually—extra stress on eventually—experience some success. St. Louis is reportedly looking to simplify its offense this season under offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, per Wagoner, and that's good news for a prospect like Battle who thrives because of solid quickness and initial punch at the snap.

With open-space playmakers like Tavon Austin and Todd Gurleyavailable to help Cignetti and the Rams achieve their goal of opening things up while relieving the playbook of some density, the offense can take a nice step forward.

And if that formula proves to be a successful one for St. Louis, perhaps Battle will progress to the point where he'll have a shot at etching his name into the starting lineup.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Snead's future OL free agents by year:
Tim Barnes OC
Brandon Washington OLG/OLT
Garrett Reynolds OLG/ORG/ORT
Barrett Jones OC/OLG/OLT
Travis Bond ORG
Steven Baker ORT
Greg Robinson OLT
Demetrius Rhaney OC
Darrell Williams OLT
David Wang OC/OLG
2019!
Rodger Saffold OLG/OLT
Rob Havenstein ORT

Isaiah Battle OLT
Andrew Battle ORT/OLG
Jamon Brown ORG/OLG
Cody Wichmann ORG/OLG/ORT

Finally about this red-shirt comment....I am not for this take it easy stuff ease it in slowly plan if that's what Snead meant ...I would work this young big kid just as hard as the rest of the rookies with very little slack. I would want to know early if he has what it takes & if he wants it bad enough. Snead needs a swing OT in this OL cadre so lets see if Battle has the making of this. So you get the full dose as the rest of them. If by the end of pre season he will have been supervised enough to know if he has it or not....if he has earned it then you find a place on the master roster & Battle will know he has earned the opportunity & he will be a much better man for it...... if not cut the cord & move on fast.

BonifayRam Rx...."Tough Love" for a very tough business/game. Looks to me Battle has been given a lot of breaks thus far for big mistakes....you don't coddle these type at all no trophies for just showing up crap!:huh:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
BonifayRam Rx...."Tough Love" for a very tough business/game. Looks to me Battle has been given a lot of breaks thus far for big mistakes....you don't coddle these type at all no trophies for just showing up crap!

No question, but that is one of Fisher's strengths. I think Battle might be beyond Fish's ability to handle, but you never know it comes down to whether the dude has football high on his priority list. Given that, I like our chances with him.

Also, as bad as that crop looks for 2019 that is a long ways off. 2 of the 5 drafted will probably not make it past their first couple seasons, based on basic percentages and that's putting it in a positive light. The best of them will undoubtedly be locked up. Of particular note is Saffold on top of those guys coming up as a FA but once again who knows if he'll even be playing still by 2019.

I am very happy with the way they have invested in this OL. Not sweating the 5th round pick for a guy who may be able to play LT. All these guys aren't gonna work out, that's just the facts. But they should be able to field a better starting OL, and have better depth for the season. And that's what matters.