Rams stung by drug suspensions of Bailey, Watts/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams stung by drug suspensions of Bailey, Watts
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_358ddc11-1429-5c57-8c52-63acaf900447.html

Stung by two player drug suspensions in the past week, Rams coach Jeff Fisher promised an aggressive approach in trying to prevent future issues.

"We've been educating our players for years," Fisher said earlier in the week. "There's a procedure, and there's a protocol, and they have to adhere to it.

"Once you go in the testing program, if you have another violation, then you're going to be subject to whatever the circumstances are. You can't take it lightly."

With wide receiver Stedman Bailey suspended for a month, and running back Trey Watts suspended indefinitely for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, Fisher was asked if there was a league-wise drug use problem. Or if it was no more than what might be found in society as a whole.

"You know, I can't go there," Fisher said. "It's been a problem here for us the last couple of weeks. We lost two pretty good players. So we've got to do whatever we can to get that message across to them.

"Again, it happens. It's a club-to-club thing. We deal with them, and we deal with all kinds of things with the younger players. I'm just disappointed in 'Sted.' He's a good teammate. He's a good player. But you have to carry over your workplace attitude into your off-the-field life. And he failed us on that."

A study by DrugAbuse.com showed that NFL fines (in terms of docked salaries) was in excess of $20 million in 2014 for players found in violation of either the league's substance abuse policy or its policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

According to the study, which covered the period from 2002 to the present, the number of games lost to suspension league-wide has increased sharply since '02. There were 188 games lost due to suspension in 2014; midway through this season suspensions are on a similar pace with 89 games lost.

As recently as 2009, there were only 29 games lost to drug suspensions.

In terms of number of players subject to drug suspensions, the Rams are in the middle of the pack since 2002. According to the DrugAbuse.com study, 26 Rams were suspended from 2002 through 2014, ranking 15th in the league. (That total now jumps to 28 with Watts and Bailey.)

Carolina has had a league-high 74 players suspended since '02; Pittsburgh and Buffalo have a league-low six players suspended apiece.

From the Rams' perspective, the loss of Watts will have minimal impact. He had played very little this season, and only on special teams. But Bailey was a valued member of the offense, basically the team's No. 3 wide receiver.

"He's a guy that works hard to get where he is and to maintain his success," tight end Jared Cook said. "You hate to see somebody like that, that's part of your team and part of your family, go down like that.

"At the same time, it's hard to beat the league on their rules. It's something that they created. So all you can do is just be there for him and talk to him. I told him if he ever needed anything just to give me a shout. He's gonna get through it. I think we'll get through it. We'll always be here for him."

Bailey is allowed to be in the building during his suspension but only to lift weights and do conditioning work. He can't practice or participate in team meetings.

And according to Spotrac.com, he will be docked $172,489 in pay.

Bailey issued an apology earlier this week on his Instagram account.

"For me it's about the individual," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "All the football stuff apart, you just really hope he can get it figured out. I don't know the details of anything but obviously if there's been multiple tests and stuff like that, you just want him to figure it out and get his life right.

"I mean, Sted has been a great teammate ever since he's been here. He knows he made a mistake. I saw his apology on Instagram. He knows he has to get some things cleaned up, and whatever those are he can deal with. But we have his back."

Added tight end Lance Kendricks: "I think it's just a maturity thing. He'll learn. He'll learn as he gets older. But the rules are the rules at the end of the day. Once he messed up once, the rules get a little (tougher). So you've gotta really be careful. You've gotta really surround yourself with certain people who can tell you right from wrong. You know, who can help you."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How does Bailey get caught and JJ doesn't?
JJ doesn't inhale
th

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Fisher may have been stung by it but I'm not sure the team as a whole has. Neither of the suspended players are named Todd or Tavon so it makes zero difference to the offense.

I realise this might read a bit snarky and it's slightly off topic but I really hate the one dimensional offense we have.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As they sing at Austin Peay University.... "The Fly is open, Let's Go Peay!"

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems that a whole lot more players smoke pot than are actually caught. How are some getting by and others aren't. Why isn't JJ telling Bailey his secrets?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just plain stupid . Good way to cut your NFL career short .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"Again, it happens. It's a club-to-club thing. We deal with them, and we deal with all kinds of things with the younger players. I'm just disappointed in 'Sted.' He's a good teammate. He's a good player. But you have to carry over your workplace attitude into your off-the-field life. And he failed us on that."

The last time Fisher said something that strong he cut Pead. Bailey's next suspension would be a year I believe, and I doubt if they are interested in seeing that happen while he is a Ram so I think they are going to cut him.

…..

Legend
The last time Fisher said something that strong he cut Pead. Bailey's next suspension would be a year I believe, and I doubt if they are interested in seeing that happen while he is a Ram so I think they are going to cut him.

I'm already emotionally detached from Baily. Maturity is what ails this team and we knew that going in, but this incident is beyond what I was expecting from this player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher may have been stung by it but I'm not sure the team as a whole has. Neither of the suspended players are named Todd or Tavon so it makes zero difference to the offense.

I realise this might read a bit snarky and it's slightly off topic but I really hate the one dimensional offense we have.

True, but the play of RB Mason & RB Cunningham thus far this season has been pretty bad(n). The 2015 Draft time trade of RB Zac Stacy, the total fail of RB Isaiah Pead along with RB Watts suspension leave very little left in the cupboard if Todd were to go down. I was of the opinion that Watts looked much better than any of our RB's in pre season. If not for his suspensions Watts could have ceased his position on this team for many seasons as Todd's top reliever. Now his NFL future in in the septic tank.

The loss Stedman Bailey in an unit where this team is in fail mode is also IMO much more than a sting more like a deep bone bruise. MIA WR Quick the broken thumb & surgery of Kendricks, the total funk of Jared Cook leaving just two receivers Britt & Austin is mighty thin. You add in that Tavon's main damage thus far has been relieving our main offensive weapon. Its obvious that my post takes a different opinion of these two events.;)

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
True, but the play of RB Mason & RB Cunningham thus far this season has been pretty bad(n). The 2015 Draft time trade of RB Zac Stacy, the total fail of RB Isaiah Pead along with RB Watts suspension leave very little left in the cupboard if Todd were to go down. I was of the opinion that Watts looked much better than any of our RB's in pre season. If not for his suspensions Watts could have ceased his position on this team for many seasons as Todd's top reliever. Now his NFL future in in the septic tank.

The loss Stedman Bailey in an unit where this team is in fail mode is also IMO much more than a sting more like a deep bone bruise. MIA WR Quick the broken thumb & surgery of Kendricks, the total funk of Jared Cook leaving just two receivers Britt & Austin is mighty thin. You add in that Tavon's main damage thus far has been relieving our main offensive weapon. Its obvious that my post takes a different opinion of these two events.;)

Your point about Mason and Cunningham is absolutely fair but, I think, is a reflection of how poor the run blocking has been generally. Gurley's yards have come on a few explosive plays that no one else on the team (and only a handful of RBs across the league) could have gotten. I hadn't seen enough of Watts to say for sure but it's hard to imagine him faring any better than Tre or Benny.

As far as Sted is concerned, He has flattered to deceive since arriving in St Louis. He has shown his great hands in flashes but he certainly hasn't been good enough overall. That may not be entirely his fault and hopefully by the time he gets back, the passing offense will have improved and he can improve with it but this suspension makes very little difference to the offense that we saw on Sunday.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2012/11/21/how-pass-drug-test

I am not a drug user or pot smoker. Took about 90 seconds to come up with this. Strangely these guys aren't even responsible enough to take the drugs to mask the drugs.

NFL knows about that. If it's a diluted sample, they suspend you for six games. That's the precedent that was set with Von Miller.

As for Bailey and Watts, I'm done with them both. One time is a possible mistake; twice is not.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm already emotionally detached from Baily. Maturity is what ails this team and we knew that going in, but this incident is beyond what I was expecting from this player.

Yes way beyond!!!

And honestly the first one was a shock to me, I had no idea we would see that. The second is just being a dumbazz and it's going to cost him more than the game checks he will miss out on because he may have to start his NFL career from zero if he gets cut.

I wonder if he had this issue in college.........

…..

Legend

Its not too snarky and my FIRST thoughts were similar to yours.

He has 12 receptions this year. Big fukken deal.....Jarod Cook probably has more drops than that.

We wont miss his offensive prowess lol but I have a feeling we'll miss his special teams contributions.

fearsomefour

Legend
These guys are funny.
You can't wait until the off season?....Oh, wait, I am sure they randomly test during the off season, which in reality, is pretty outrageous. So, if its weed, dude like to smoke weed. I would say over half of college aged (or older) people do. It is less of a "drug" than the addictive horrible pain killers the NFL hands out like candy. The rules are hypocritical and stupid. That said, you know the rules going in, so, deal with it or pay for it.
The bad part is the team pays for it as well.
We as fans can't make the mistake of emotionally tying to these guys. Almost impossible not to do, we are invested in the team. But, when someone says they expected more from a specific player in terms of behavior....based on what? We don't know these guys. Based on how we perceive how they play? We have no idea what these guys personalities are like really.
I like Baileys game and he does some thing very well. He is setting himself up for major disappointment in life if he shortens or ends his career for something so stupid. I would assume. But, for the team, it is not a major set back. He has never produced at a high level. Just another guy.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I don't think he's going anywhere right now. he's walking the tight rope but I just don't think they're ready to give up on him. they have enough reciever problems and they know he has the best hands on the team whether he's getting enough playing time or not. but they'll be looking at their options this offseason.

fearsomefour

Legend
If his issue is weed....and it seems like a lot of these guys issues are weed....both in the pros and college (as an aside my son is a college athlete and weed is everywhere on nearly all of the teams, tons of users) it is interesting to see (just going by memory) that most of the guys suspended are WR, DBs, RBs. Don't really see lineman getting popped.
That is interesting as they are huge guys (peds would play in there I would think) and a starting lineman certainly would be subject to as much pain as a back up WR or RB if not more.
It certainly seems that the personality of the WR is that of a Dbag and a drama queen. To a slightly less degree DBs are right there with them. Not sure why this is and speaking in completely general terms of course. I am too lazy to find numbers, but, it would be interesting to see the number of substance suspensions by position. I don't really remember lineman getting popped, but, maybe my memory is just bad.