Rams still talking contract extension with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I never thought I'd say this but I really miss the old St Louis Dispatch forum where people would really have totally ripped into a Fisher Snead extension. Oh well. Times change. Gotta be on nice forums now. I feel so old. Wait, I am old.

I don't miss it. I can't stand being on a forum where people want to be assholes just for the sake of being assholes. This is soooo much better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never thought I'd say this but I really miss the old St Louis Dispatch forum where people would really have totally ripped into a Fisher Snead extension. Oh well. Times change. Gotta be on nice forums now. I feel so old. Wait, I am old.
Well, I don't see the point of "ripping" just for fun's sake
There's nothing to "rip" about an extension, its the only sensible thing to do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Coaches catch too much credit and way too much blame when it comes to a team's performance. Do they impact it? Sure do, but if the dudes they have out there with the numbers on the jersey don't execute or show up to play none of it matters in the least bit.

Using Vermiel for an example I think the addition of Martz was a crucial part of things falling into place for a couple reasons...

First off, Martz looked at the film of Banks and told Vermiel they'd all be fired if they didn't upgrade. The moves that happened to acquire better players, who turned out to be key players, grew out of that OC hire.

Second, Martz is a great teacher of offensive concepts. Everyone was dazzled by his scheme, but it was not the scheme that set him apart from most other coordinators. It was his ability to teach that offense an immense playbook install in one camp and have everyone know it cold. That was not the players. That was the coaching. With the OCs the Rams have had that same collection of talent probably would have struggled to be on the same page and the bitching and moaning would start along with turnovers and Vermiel would have been fired most likely.

The point of course is that coaches matter. It is not just about the players. In fact it is very rare to see a player who is so good that he'll excel no matter who coaches him. Gurley is an obvious example, where he could play in a run or pass heavy concept offense with smooth transition. But the rest of the guys on offense need to be well versed so they'll be able to play fast and not be slowed by needing to think and being confused on responsibilities. It's early but Boras seems to understand that. And if he does get this same bunch of guys to know his offense cold they're gonna play fast and people are gonna be shocked by how much better they are.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I endorse both Fisher and Snead.

It comes together now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Sneed - yes - ink him up.

Fisher. Meh.

Why do we want to do this now? Are we thinking that some other team is gonna come snag him up if we wait too long? This is an owner with deep pockets - he can afford any coach out there in a bidding war. This job would seemingly be very attractive in a huge market going into a state of the art facility. Fisher has proven nothing other than mediocrity- has he?

Debacled

Starter
Using Vermiel for an example I think the addition of Martz was a crucial part of things falling into place for a couple reasons...

First off, Martz looked at the film of Banks and told Vermiel they'd all be fired if they didn't upgrade. The moves that happened to acquire better players, who turned out to be key players, grew out of that OC hire.

Second, Martz is a great teacher of offensive concepts. Everyone was dazzled by his scheme, but it was not the scheme that set him apart from most other coordinators. It was his ability to teach that offense an immense playbook install in one camp and have everyone know it cold. That was not the players. That was the coaching. With the OCs the Rams have had that same collection of talent probably would have struggled to be on the same page and the bitching and moaning would start along with turnovers and Vermiel would have been fired most likely.

The point of course is that coaches matter. It is not just about the players. In fact it is very rare to see a player who is so good that he'll excel no matter who coaches him. Gurley is an obvious example, where he could play in a run or pass heavy concept offense with smooth transition. But the rest of the guys on offense need to be well versed so they'll be able to play fast and not be slowed by needing to think and being confused on responsibilities. It's early but Boras seems to understand that. And if he does get this same bunch of guys to know his offense cold they're gonna play fast and people are gonna be shocked by how much better they are.

You made my point for me. Coaches who are "successful" in the NFL always seem to have a stellar QB to rely on. Not very often, especially in the modern game, do you see coaches succeed without what could be considered a HOF skillset from the QB position. Minus Joe Flacco in 2013 (I really don't think he is all that great) you have to go back to 2003 with the Bucs to find a SB winner who didn't have a future HOF (lots of speculation in Seattles part on Wilson I know) at QB....and the Ravens prior to that both of which fielded defenses for the ages. Going back even further you have to get into the first couple years of the 90s to find Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler as non HOF worthy QBs.

Ron Rivera was on the verge of being canned himself until Newton managed to turn the corner. Mike Tomlin has had sustained success behind a terrible human being but a good QB in pit. Pete Carroll was all hot air until Russell Wilson put that team on his shoulders. The big cheat in NE, who knows what would have become of him sans Brady? Would Mike McCarthy have a job in GB without Rodgers?

Players cost coaches their jobs, not the other way around. And its easy to tell when a coach is in way over his head (ala Linehan for example) versus players not being able to execute a game plan....which we see far too frequently with Fisher (find him a QB, and it better be Goff, and this thing should be an afterthought). Scheme stability is worth more than rotating coaches as far as I'm concerned.

Rare or otherwise, the players that perform regardless of who the coach is are needed to get to let alone win the SB. It is a team sport, but without excellence leading the team there will be no team success. Rotating coaches without a strong roster is just spinning the tires. And we have seen over the past few years Snead and Fisher know how to find players and develop them. Light years ahead of anything else we've seen in this century as far as the Rams go for that matter.

Shoman01

Rookie
Fisher and Stan talking about fisher's contract.
Fisher: 10 more losses and I will have the most of any head coach in NFL history.
Stan: Excellent, lets extend your contract so you can get to that lofty goal you have set for yourself.
Fisher: Thanks Stan, your the best (fist bump)
Stan: However if you reach your 10 loss goal this year, I will fire you.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Players cost coaches their jobs, not the other way around.

Not gonna disagree with your summation of the importance of QB, as I am with you on that.

But re: coaches not mattering, no sweat. We'll agree to disagree brother.