Rams still talking contract extension with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ontract-extension-with-jeff-fisher-les-snead/

Rams still talking contract extension with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2016

l-snead-j-fisher.jpg
AP

Apparently six or seven wins a year is enough to earn a contract extension in Los Angeles.

The Rams will engage in contract extension talks with head coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Jeff Snead over the next couple months, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports. That’s nothing new; those contract talks have reportedly been going on since February.

In their four years running the team together, Fisher and Snead have gone 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10 and 7-9. That’s usually a record that would lead to a firing, not a contract extension.

But Rams owner Stan Kroenke seems to want stability in Los Angeles, and so he doesn’t want to make a change at the top any time soon. Fisher and Snead are entering the final seasons of the five-year contracts they signed in St. Louis in 2012.

If Fisher and Snead continue to produce six or seven wins a season, they’re not going to keep their jobs forever. But from all indications, they’re going to remain in charge in Los Angeles for years to come.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
More fodder for the mouth breathers at PFT to comment on how "overrated" FisCher is. Personally, I like the idea of keeping Snisher together for the next 3 years at least. It certainly appears that Kronke had this moved planned all along and hired the guy he knew had experience in this situation. He will now allow him to take the team in its new location to the Superbowl...... and win it this time.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Bravo, I think it's good for players to know what they can count on.It is clear: Continuity is king, particularly in Pro football. Those who do their homework quickly realize that continuity is one of the keys to success,and good football people !

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, the records have been mediocre at best - but what never seems to get mentioned is just how horrendous the roster was when they took over - seriously bad with some big contracts. I'm not saying that Fisher and Snead have been perfect - but overall with building the roster better than I expected.

But yes, they do need to take the next step and actually win, or at some stage Fisher will be gone. I would offer Snead a longer contract than Fisher, but that's just me.

Psycho_X

Legend
Contracts are mostly meaningless for coaches and GMs in the NFL so whatever. Snisher's careers with the Rams will live or die by Goff's performance not by how many years their contracts have.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Contracts are mostly meaningless for coaches and GMs in the NFL so whatever. Snisher's careers with the Rams will live or die by Goff's performance not by how many years their contracts have.

Coaches contracts are guaranteed so they get paid if they get fired.

Psycho_X

Legend

I know, meant as far as hurting a team in any way. They are meaningless to the teams well being compared to something like a huge player contract that can cripple their salary cap. No one cares that the billionaire might have to pay a coach for a couple years of his contract afterwards. And even that gets offset by any new contract that they might sign by another NFL team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In their four years running the team together, Fisher and Snead have gone 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10 and 7-9. That’s usually a record that would lead to a firing, not a contract extension.
newhere.jpg

move along.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
You have to remember before Snisher got here it took the Rams 2 or 3 seasons to get 7 wins, Snisher can get that in 1 season. The Rams are competitive and could have won some they lost and maybe stole a win or 2 but they are close to winning a lot more.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

That was going to be my point..- Contract length certainly does matter in coaching...They get paid for working on their golf games (with pay) even if they get fired...While it's college, Charlie We is is STILL getting paid millions by Notre Dame...Maybe the worst hire (money- wise) ever for a coach...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You have to remember before Snisher got here it took the Rams 2 or 3 seasons to get 7 wins, Snisher can get that in 1 season. The Rams are competitive and could have won some they lost and maybe stole a win or 2 but they are close to winning a lot more.

Yeah but he has had All Pro QB play, so he should be copping 7 wins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay love Snead & Fisher, but they have to start winning more games then they lose, however, at this point I believe you need a couple year extension to eliminate the "lame duck" label.
2d0bf94.jpg

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I just threw up a little in my mouth

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Unbelievable that Fisher would get a contract extension when 31 other teams would have fired him after last season. well, maybe not the Browns.
Snead I would absolutely extend.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kroenke doesn't need to keep him around even if he does extend him. It's whatever. For all we know Pete Carroll might come available and if Kroenke isn't happy with the product he makes the call. The contract just doesn't guarantee anything with as much cashish as Stan's bringing in now.

Oh and I'm really tired of the snarky Fish articles and comments I see all over the web. Can't wait to see Fish shut them up by fielding a young team that will not be denied this season.

Where's that Fish image with him flippin everyone off when we need it?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Fisher is going into his last year on the books and coaches don't operate on 1 year deals.

Even with the extension, it doesn't hurt the team in any tangible way if he gets axed, even if he got fired this year or the next.

The contract is barely worth the paper it's printed on in terms of security. If he keeps losing, he will be fired.

TL;DR - It doesn't matter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Once Fisher had the pieces in place in Tennessee, he had a very good 8 year record. So it isn't as if he can't coach a good team. What is Belichick without Brady? Pete Carroll was a .500 coach before Russell Wilson. Take Brees out of New Orleans and Rodgers out of Green Bay, and Cam out of Carolina.....all of a sudden all of those great coaches look average and they end up with 7-9 seasons.

It is much more about having a capable QB and continuity on offense than it is about the coach. I prefer to stick with Fisher and let him see the plan through. Remember if Fisher goes then so does his staff. You lose Williams and Wauffle too. Besides who do you hire?

Debacled

Starter
Been saying it for weeks, months, years....all coaches look bad until the players finally put it together. I was but a wee lad but I can remember plenty well enough how Vermeil was viewed until that magical 99 season where everything just seemed to fall into place. What happened? Lightning in a bottle with an absolutely stunning combination of Warner and Faulk.......players not coach.

Coaches catch too much credit and way too much blame when it comes to a team's performance. Do they impact it? Sure do, but if the dudes they have out there with the numbers on the jersey don't execute or show up to play none of it matters in the least bit.

"Shake it up" because it hasn't been working is what keeps cellar dwelling teams in said cellar. I would much rather keep an established system around than try something different every couple of years to maybe tickle the playoffs for a season before imploding again. The Cleveland/Miami/Oakland/Buffalo/Detroit/so on and so forth of DO IT NOW OR BE GONE mantra is the opposite of a solution. Its literally hitting the reset button on failure to do it all over again, many times without giving the current people in charge a fair shake.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing an extension guarantees is that Fisher won't be going anywhere after next year if the Rams have a winning season and/or make the playoffs.
The last thing the team would need coming off a 10 win season would be having to compete for the services of its coach.

bbach

UDFA
I never thought I'd say this but I really miss the old St Louis Dispatch forum where people would really have totally ripped into a Fisher Snead extension. Oh well. Times change. Gotta be on nice forums now. I feel so old. Wait, I am old.