Rams still eyeing help at free safety in free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams still eyeing help at free safety in free agency
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27835/rams-still-eyeing-help-at-free-safety

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead is well aware of the void created by the departure of free safety Rodney McLeod to the Philadelphia Eagles on the opening day of free agency.

McLeod had been with the Rams for four years, and through that time the team developed him from undrafted rookie to special-teams contributor to starting free safety. But when McLeod hit free agency, his price tag went above and beyond what the Rams were willing to pay and he departed for Philadelphia with no obvious solution in house for the Rams.

On Monday evening, Snead talked about McLeod's departure and mentioned a couple of potential options the Rams have on the current roster.

"At safety, we liked when Maurice [Alexander] came in and played some last year when T.J. [McDonald] was down and we won some games with him starting at safety and Cody Davis showed some things in preseason that he might be more than just one of our better special-teamers," Snead said. "Over the years at that position we have drafted well, but more importantly we have developed. That’s been the coaching staff, that’s been the athletic performance staff and guess what, we are going to be called upon to do that again."

In other words, while players such as Davis and Alexander will be around and could get some looks, the Rams are still on the hunt for help on the back end of the defense. That help could come any number of ways, as this year's draft seems to have some decent options (think Boise State's Darian Thompson or LSU's Jalen Mills). But even though the free-agent shelves have been mostly picked over, that doesn't mean there aren't some options there, either.

"We will take a look at it in the draft and definitely take a look at that position as free agency goes," Snead said. "We have always tried to attack free agency, especially this time of year, a little bit like the draft board, it’s just a delayed draft. It’s not Thursday, Friday, Saturday. We get back from this event and you all of a sudden look back on the board and you go ‘Wait a minute, that guy is still available; let’s add him.’ It’s like a fifth, sixth, seventh-round draft choice. There’s a good bit of safeties who have had play time in the NFL. So we may look at a UFA and we may also look at it in the draft and go from there."

One possibility is Cincinnati's Reggie Nelson. Nelson tied for the most interceptions in the NFL in 2015 with eight and also had two fumble recoveries, 72 tackles and five pass breakups. The Rams have expressed at least some interest in Nelson, though the extent of that is unclear. At 32, it appears Nelson's age is working against him, but it's possible the price and length of a deal would be manageable for the Rams at this point in the process.

Aside from Nelson, there's not much left on the safety market. Philadelphia's Walter Thurmond is apparently considering retirement, but is still available, as is Arizona's Rashad Johnson, who recently visited the Tennessee Titans.

One way or another, it's a safe bet that the Rams will be adding help at free safety before this offseason is over.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Go get Nelson on a two year deal already. If he's asking too much, then let him continue to sit there until he finds he's not worth the bogus numbers he's asking(if he is). I'm surprised we haven't even invited him for a visit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd be fine with adding Reggie Nelson a little age won't hurt and maybe he can teach the rest of the secondary how to catch the football.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My problem with the Nelson addition has more to do with scheme than age. Last year Nelson played alot less single high playing in a split safety role with Illoka who the Bengals resigned. If the Rams are going to switch to more split safety looks instead of single high (I doubt they will) They might as well just start TJ and Mo.

IMO that leaves developing a long term centerfielder which could happen by drafting a single high safety (easier said than done) or continuing to develop Bryant or Cody Davis.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Greg Williams and Jeff Fisher have both said many times they don't play "strong" and "free" safety. Its more like "left" and "right". when McDonald went down, Mo Alexander was first up off the bench. I would expect that to continue if they don't bring in a FA safety.

Have to remember McCloud was an undrafted FA and they brought him along. Mo Alexander is going into his 3rd year and maybe they feel he's ready?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The telling part of Snead's response is the exclusion of Joyner from the conversation. Many here want him back at FS but there was NO indication by Snead that it's even being considered

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Greg Williams and Jeff Fisher have both said many times they don't play "strong" and "free" safety. Its more like "left" and "right". when McDonald went down, Mo Alexander was first up off the bench. I would expect that to continue if they don't bring in a FA safety.

Have to remember McCloud was an undrafted FA and they brought him along. Mo Alexander is going into his 3rd year and maybe they feel he's ready?

I think they said that about linebackers not safties. Even if they did Rodney played deep at least 90% if his stats outside the one game we were down to two corners and he had to play nickel. I believe Williams called Rod's position the angel safety because he played so deep and was the last line of defense to save you on every play. TJ and Mo played most of their snaps in the box. They may not be called strong and weak, but the roles for our safeties were clear cut different roles.

Rams are set in the box role they need to develop an angel. I say develop because its a very hard position, just ask Rod his first two years starting. Most vets available on the FA market have the experience and instincts to play in that role, but dont have the athleticism needed to be a true impact player from that role in both phases. Rookies may be athletic enough to make plays but dont have the refined instincts and Nfl experience, so they give up more big plays. I think the Rams will try to look for an upgrade in the draft because there are some good FS prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis got the first crack because he has the requisite athleticism (4.3 40) and 3 years experience as a backup in Rod's role.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd be cool with letting Davis and a Draft pick like Darian Thompson battle for the job. I like Davis, he has improved each year so far and jumped a route that was beautiful last PS. He might be ready for prime time. Either way they need to bring in someone that can play deep and also has the ability to man up when Williams brings big heat.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I thought Mo looked good the few times he subbed at FS. I think he has more range than Mcleod. Why draft a guy? Unless the coaches are seeing something in practice that we don't. Mo was a 4th round pick wasn't he? He is very athletic and Fisher had to have him.I would hope he is good enough to hold down a position by now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The telling part of Snead's response is the exclusion of Joyner from the conversation. Many here want him back at FS but there was NO indication by Snead that it's even being considered

Could be or maybe not. Fisher is not known to be also fully forthcoming on matters such as this. Fact is.... Rams did sign a thinner DB Coty Sensabaugh is a 6-0 185 pounder who best skills is very quick, fast, and agile. Plays the Nickle-Back very good & has been a fairly decent starting outside corner. Coty's size sure looks much more Nickle like than pure outside material to me. Most likely both in reality. Just looks like a very good FA signing by Snead to me(y).

Former starting FS Rod McLeod was our starting deep safety & our main back up Nickle for the last two seasons. I see a possible connection on this Nickle & Coty signing ....thus permitting (if desired by Gregg) the movement of Joyner back into the deep safety post if there is a NEED! LJ may not be our starting deep safety over Cody Davis/Christian Bryant or even a slide back of a TJ McDonald but there is no denying that LJ has some wonderful skills that can be utilized greatly in THE DEEP secondary post if a very good Nickel back was available to beat out LJ might be that Nickle back is here now.:whistle:

Bottom line here is if Coty is a better Nickle than LJ then you will see Coty starting in the Nickel. Thus we have a young talented ex 2 yr starting DB looking for a starting post elsewhere. Wonder where there's an open spot for him to secure?????? Then I would add in that I would predict the drafting of a outside Corner either on say one or day two as highly probable but the drafting of a deep safety very doubtful. Just saying.........;)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mo, TJ, and Barron got this.....

Please no talk of Joyner or Cody Davis starting at safety....

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I like Mo, but I recall he took a lot of bad angles and missed a few tackles. Just sayin'

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Call it a hunch but don't write off Davis.
I won't....but after this game, I have my doubts....

• Second-string RB Knile Davis showed off his speed and physicality on his 15 yard run with 12:49 left in the game. Davis had the speed to bounce to the outside to find a lane and the power to run over Rams S Cody Davis. Unfortunately Cody Davis was injured on the play. Knile again proved his mettle this week as a great complement to Charles.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won't....but after this game, I have my doubts....
Everybody gets run over once in a while, one play won't change his outlook. Plus we know Williams and Fisher will stress to him to use it as a learning experience.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
when McDonald went down, Mo Alexander was first up off the bench. I would expect that to continue if they don't bring in a FA safety.

That would be one box safety replacing another. Now if it was Mo replacing Rodney it'd be a better example.