Rams sorting through coordinator options/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams sorting through coordinator options
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15785/rams-sorting-through-coordinator-options

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers are the only teams remaining without an offensive coordinator in place. With 10 coordinator jobs all over the league having been filled (11 if you count Scott Linehan's "promotion" in Dallas), the list of known candidates for the Rams has dwindled.

But the Rams and coach Jeff Fisher will have to make a decision at some point and could be drawing closer to one. Tuesday brings with it one option that is still in play for the job and another that's been taken off the table.

The most obvious of those choices is former Buffalo offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Hackett interviewed with Fisher last Thursday and remains firmly in the mix for the job. In fact, Hackett is the only outside candidate known to have interviewed for the job to this point and is scheduled to speak to the Rams again on Tuesday. The fact that he's getting a second interview at the very least means Fisher is intrigued enough to continue considering him, even if it guarantees nothing when it comes to hiring him.

Also on Tuesday, another candidate the Rams are known to have interest in was supposed to become available for interviews. That's Indianapolis Colts special assistant Rob Chudzinski. The Rams previously requested permission to interview Chudzinski but the Colts denied them permission. San Francisco has also expressed interest in Chudzinski but hasn't talked to him yet.

But the Colts announced Tuesday morning that Chudzinski will be staying in Indianapolis as associate head coach. At the Colts' end-of-season news conference, general manager Ryan Grigson indicated that retaining Chudzinski was a possibility.

“I’m not going to get into specifics,” Grigson said. “But it’s ultimately my job to make sure that good people stay in this building and don’t just walk right out. So we’ll address that and do our best to keep good people here.”

Hackett spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator for Doug Marrone in Buffalo. During his time, the Bills struggled offensively with an unsettled quarterback situation not unlike the one the Rams currently have. Still, there are some league observers who believe Hackett has the makeup to be successful if given the right tools with which to work.

Aside from Hackett, the only other potential candidates linked to the job include in-house options such as tight ends coach Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. It's also possible there are others that have not been revealed, but without many candidates to consider, the Rams will have to come to a resolution to their search sooner than later.

FRO

Legend
You would have to think that other guys have been interviewed. Hackett and some internal guys doesn't move the needle much at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gotta say, it seems less and less likely that the Rams "showed Schotty the door" in light of their inability to secure someone else's services.
Or, if they did, then it was completely idiotic and lacking in foresight.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta say, it seems less and less likely that the Rams "showed Schotty the door" in light of their inability to secure someone else's services.
I agree.

This is starting to make more sense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Chud was their guy all along and Fish got burned.

Right now he needs to be on the phone with his good buddy Shanahan convincing him to come aboard for a fat paycheck. I'd say he should be calling Martz too but we've been down that road and Fish obviously isn't gonna consider him which is too bad.

iced

I disagree - I think they knew they couldn't go forward with Schotty..that would be the definition of insanity, repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

I think they pegged their hopes on nabbing one of the OC's like Roman, Shanahan, or Chud... and it backfired.

I still felt last year would have been the right year to make the change - should have let schotty go and grabbed Norv Turner when he became available.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree - I think they knew they couldn't go forward with Schotty..that would be the definition of insanity, repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
Disagree. I think they knew that trying to put together a string of wins with Austin Davis and Shaun Hill would be the definition of insanity. There was nothing in any quote, report, media release, or insider source that said the Rams were dissatisfied with Schotty. Insanity would be banking your hopes on TRYING to land a replacement after you let a guy go, knowing full well that there are any number of higher profile teams that could use the services of the same guy.

If we end up with Cignetti or Boras as a result of (your view) gambling on chance, would you consider that to be a better option or smart play?

iced

Disagree. I think they knew that trying to put together a string of wins with Austin Davis and Shaun Hill would be the definition of insanity. There was nothing in any quote, report, media release, or insider source that said the Rams were dissatisfied with Schotty. Insanity would be banking your hopes on TRYING to land a replacement after you let a guy go, knowing full well that there are any number of higher profile teams that could use the services of the same guy.

If we end up with Cignetti or Boras as a result of (your view) gambling on chance, would you consider that to be a better option or smart play?

but also continuing with schotty and another sub .500 season could also mean the axe for fisher and co. too.... schotty has been here for 3+ years with all averages ranking around 20th or worse.

right now from everything i've read about hackett, he'd be one guy i'd consider

and my play was fire schotty hire turner last season - not hindsight, i legitimately said it and wanted it the moment chudzinski was fired from cleveland

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

So you mean when Fisher said he liked Schotty he wasn't lying? :D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Insanity would be banking your hopes on TRYING to land a replacement after you let a guy go, knowing full well that there are any number of higher profile teams that could use the services of the same guy.
Again, I agree.

Given the "challenges*" of trying to get a top notch OC to this franchise right now, it make sense to me that it would be safer to just stay with who you have.
* Multiple holes in the Oline
* Questions at QB
* Stability of location

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
but also continuing with schotty and another sub .500 season could also mean the axe for fisher and co. too.... schotty has been here for 3+ years with all averages ranking around 20th or worse.

right now from everything i've read about hackett, he'd be one guy i'd consider
Yeah, well, now we're back to the chicken and egg argument, and that wasn't my intent.
I still maintain that trying to win without your starting QB for months isn't a recipe for success for any coordinator.

And I just flat out refuse to believe they cut Schotty loose (no evidence of that) in favor of *hoping* to get someone better.
It simply isn't working out that way if that's what they intended to do, and it would have been an incredibly stupid gamble anyway.

FRO

Legend
Schottenhiemer ran the offense the way Fisher likes it. Fisher likes the power run game. I thought for what he had to work with Schottenhiemer did well in 2014.

iced

Yeah, well, now we're back to the chicken and egg argument, and that wasn't my intent.
I still maintain that trying to win without your starting QB for months isn't a recipe for success for any coordinator.

And I just flat out refuse to believe they cut Schotty loose (no evidence of that) in favor of *hoping* to get someone better.
It simply isn't working out that way if that's what they intended to do, and it would have been an incredibly stupid gamble.

I really don't think the offense was all that great even with bradford... plus the lack of getting tavon austin the ball and his play calling, 2nd half non adjustments, etc.

worst offense in the 3rd quarter

those are all enough for me

FRO

Legend
Schottenhiemer told either wagoner or thomas that Fisher wanted him back.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really don't think the offense was all that great even with bradford... plus the lack of getting tavon austin the ball and his play calling, 2nd half non adjustments, etc.

worst offense in the 3rd quarter

those are all enough for me
Focus.

I realize it's enough for some fans, but my assertion isn't about what workaday fans think of Schotty. I'm simply saying that it seems more likely that Fisher and Schotty were telling the truth when Schotty said he *wanted* to go to the college ranks, and that all of the conspiracy generated by his departure isn't supported by any kind of evidence whatsoever at this point. Because here we are with no coordinator, and all of the hot prospects taking jobs elsewhere.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schottenhiemer ran the offense the way Fisher likes it. Fisher likes the power run game. I thought for what he had to work with Schottenhiemer did well in 2014.
Would you describe last year's offense as power run game though? They threw the ball almost 60% of the time and seemingly went shot gun on most 3rd and short. I dont think Shott was terrible, I think he did the best he could. I also believe he's had an eye on NCAA for awhile considering he was in on the Vandy job a couple years back.

iced

Focus.

I realize it's enough for some fans, but my assertion isn't about what workaday fans think of Schotty. I'm simply saying that it seems more likely that Fisher and Schotty were telling the truth when Schotty said he *wanted* to go to the college ranks, and that all of the conspiracy generated by his departure isn't supported by any kind of evidence whatsoever at this point. Because here we are with no coordinator, and all of the hot prospects taking jobs elsewhere.

Still disagree..Think schotty knew the writing was on the wall and found another job...

And I think they hinged their wagon to Chudzinski - at the beginning they said they were going to "be patient" with the process...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still disagree..Think schotty knew the writing was on the wall and found another job...

And I think they hinged their wagon to Chudzinski - at the beginning they said they were going to "be patient" with the process...
Wait a minute. First you said the Rams knew sticking with him would be the definition of insanity.
Now you're saying Schotty left because he knew the writing was on the wall.

:huh:

FRO

Legend
Would you describe last year's offense as power run game though? They threw the ball almost 60% of the time and seemingly went shot gun on most 3rd and short. I dont think Shott was terrible, I think he did the best he could. I also believe he's had an eye on NCAA for awhile considering he was in on the Vandy job a couple years back.
I think some of that had to do with our poor interior line. Another thing to consider is being down late in games can screw with the pass percentages.