Rams Signing TE Colby Parkinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams run game is going to absolutely fucking maul people this season.

And they'll do it out of 11 personnel and fuck people up by being able to go no-huddle and run multiple plays out of the same group and formation. It's gonna be a blast.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Welcome to the Rams big feller. People gonna know who you are playing for the horns. :clinkingbeer:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean Higgs shredded both his ACL and MCL on that hit, in the last game of the season. Hard to imagine him coming back until mid-to-late year at best. Plus will he ever be the same?

With Davis Allen as TE2 we should be fine this year assuming Parkinson is all our FO thinks he can be.
Yeah if Allen is starter material then Higs will be phased out. Depends on Allen really. But I have to say that given that I expected to endure a subpar TE position this year this is a pleasant surprise. And it makes sense because this year's TE draft class is weak.

Rams just got tougher up front basically. That's really good for facing the shitters too btw. I like the direction for sure. :thumbsup1:

Hobgoblin

Rookie
Like everyone else I had to go look up who but seeing those clips make me feel better.

Damn 6'7. The dude is huge.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Parkinson feels a bit like the Robert Woods signing where he had never really shown to be as good as he did with us and everyone trashed us for the signing at first

WestCoastRam

Legend
Looks like a classic Y type tight end. Not sure we had that on the roster with Higbee's injury. Allows us to keep bringing along Allen at whatever pace that looks like.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Yeah if Allen is starter material then Higs will be phased out. Depends on Allen really. But I have to say that given that I expected to endure a subpar TE position this year this is a pleasant surprise. And it makes sense because this year's TE draft class is weak.

Rams just got tougher up front basically. That's really good for facing the shitters too btw. I like the direction for sure. :thumbsup1:
I liked the Allen pick last year, still do. He can block, has good hands and size for contested catches. Given snaps at TE1/TE2 I'd bet he can produce.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I liked the Allen pick last year, still do. He can block, has good hands and size for contested catches. Given snaps at TE1/TE2 I'd bet he can produce.
Yes and best case scenario is he could develop into a Y type Tight End. Worst case, a pretty decent move TE to have.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Allen too. But this move is shrewd because it means they're not dependent on him. They can start Parkinson in 11 sets and let Allen cook a bit more on the bench if necessary. Or if Allen shows well in camp then they have the makings of a good 12 set. Which, let's be honest, we haven't really had. This is part of the reason why McVay opts for 11 at such a high rate.

I think if Allen shows well in camp we might see more 12 sets. Since our 12 set rate is probably very low maybe double it. I'd like to see that at least.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm torn on this signing.

On the plus side, he's a 6'7" elite blocker, and the tight end class this year sucks.

But on the minus...that's a long time for a blocking tight end when you still have Higbee, Allen, and (maybe) Long to consider.

I wanted to imagine that Davis Allen is getting the chance to start, but this throws it into question. Unlike the Jonah Jackson signing, where there was a clear need...I just don't see it with this.

Buuut in McSnead, I trust. If they think he's got potential, who am I to judge?

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
That's a lot for a guy who wasn't starting but he certainly fits our scheme w/o Higs. Solid compliment to Allen.

Pretty sure Brycen is gone... we still have room foe

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

On the plus side, he's a 6'7" elite blocker, and the tight end class this year sucks.

But on the minus...that's a long time for a blocking tight end when you still have Higbee, Allen, and (maybe) Long to consider.

I wanted to imagine that Davis Allen is getting the chance to start, but this throws it into question. Unlike the Jonah Jackson signing, where there was a clear need...I just don't see it with this.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t you been pushing for the Rams to trade up and draft Browers? Plus we still haven’t seen much from Long, and so far he had been injury proned. Plus Tyler won’t be available until about mid season, and Hopkins is a free agent. So yes there was a definite need.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This is another thing....we lost in the playoffs because of our red zone offense. And our first two moves are an elite run blocking guard and a giant TE, both coming into their prime
I don't see anything suggesting that Jackson is an elite run blocking guard. His PFF rating does not suggest that at all. I can't claim to have watched him play specifically much, but, I doubt he's elite. He may improve with us, but, he is also coming from a great line.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t you been pushing for the Rams to trade up and draft Browers? Plus we still haven’t seen much from Long, and so far he had been injury proned. Plus Tyler won’t be available until about mid season, and Hopkins is a free agent. So yes there was a definite need.

I'd love to get Bowers (and yes, he's the only - reasonable; we're not going to get Nabers or MHJr. - target I'd trade up to get) but I wasn't about to spend three years and however many million on a guy who has mostly been a blocking tight end, when we have Davis Allen and Tyler Higbee waiting in the wings - and that's not even seeing what we have in Long, injury-prone he may be.

But McSnead could see more in Parkinson. I'm not a professional scout for a reason.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to get Bowers (and yes, he's the only - reasonable; we're not going to get Nabers or MHJr. - target I'd trade up to get) but I wasn't about to spend three years and however many million on a guy who has mostly been a blocking tight end, when we have Davis Allen and Tyler Higbee waiting in the wings - and that's not even seeing what we have in Long, injury-prone he may be.

But McSnead could see more in Parkinson. I'm not a professional scout for a reason.

Seahawks are saying he was a better receiving TE than blocking. I think it's going to be a great signing for us

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see anything suggesting that Jackson is an elite run blocking guard. His PFF rating does not suggest that at all. I can't claim to have watched him play specifically much, but, I doubt he's elite. He may improve with us, but, he is also coming from a great line.

Funny you mention PFF....this is what they have to say about him on their free agent breakdowns:

"Jackson is a force in space in the run game who climbs to the second level well once he gets a head of steam and adjusts laterally to plant his heavy hands into the chests of defenders with balanced feet. Jackson has continued to struggle in pass protection, which is a bit surprising given his athletic ability. He can be slow out of his stance and or or flat-footed at times, which causes him to lose early on in reps."

Ironically his pass block win rate was outstanding (ESPN stat).

Maybe elite is too strong....we'll see. Either way, it's a great signing IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Way to look at this one is the Rams let the Seahawks develop their next TE. They needed a physical up front presence with Higs out, and instead of rolling the dice on one midrounds they get a guy in here with the size and strength they want. Didn't expect this but it's a good thing.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Way to look at this one is the Rams let the Seahawks develop their next TE. They needed a physical up front presence with Higs out, and instead of rolling the dice on one midrounds they get a guy in here with the size and strength they want. Didn't expect this but it's a good thing.

I don't know. I still want to see how Allen turns out; I think he could be Higbee, but better.