Rams signing cb Steve williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I don't like about this signing is what it insinuates re: Gaines' health. Williams is scrappy and a fit, and I trust the Rams' judgment. But if they're looking at Cody getting significant playing time I'm flat concerned. If it comes to that I just hope it doesn't hurt them too much (Kelly will go after CS bank it), and that they get out of SF with a win. And of course that Gaines isn't out long.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Signing a guy 3 days before opening night having like 5 cbs on practice squad hoping to catch lightening in a barrel. They are hedging their bets.. a lot of people was thinking we were gona have Gaines back and people were counting on Roberson stepping up. Neither of those have come to fruition. So yes imho they are scrambling for good CB help.

OK.

I think your unnecessarily putting a negative assertion on a routine roster move.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK.

I think your unnecessarily putting a negative assertion on a routine roster move.

How...??you read 1 post I wrote you dont know what lead up into that statement and what that statement was in referenced too. I swear it seems like people cant have their own minds anymore.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
How...??you read 1 post I wrote you dont know what lead up into that statement and what that statement was in referenced too. I swear it seems like people cant have their own minds anymore.

Well of course, it was in direct response to your post in this thread.

You can speak your mind, and I can too.

I think putting a label on a standard roster move like "scrambling" or "hedging their bets" is unnecessarily negative. To me, it's borderline snarky and I can't stand that. So I'm gonna respond to that.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well of course, it was in direct response to your post in this thread.

You can speak your mind, and I can too.

I think putting a label on a standard roster move like "scrambling" or "hedging their bets" is unnecessarily negative. To me, it's borderline snarky and I can't stand that. So I'm gonna respond to that.

Lol

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Steve Williams appears to have been drafted in the 5th rd by SB with a eye for him to be their Nickle DB. Steve has some real good speed & a good vertical jump. In large Steve is much more Nickle & Dime than outside corner. Fits the mold of what Fisher has now with Coty Sensabaugh & Lamarcus Joyner. I do not foresee either of these two Ram Nickle's being released but we could see a positional shift for one. This addition to the 53 player roster still leaves the Rams with only two healthy outside corner types in Hill & Tru with Gaines on the shelf.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/3/...-scouting-report-steve-williams-cb-california

Strengths: Shorter than scouts would prefer but has surprisingly broad shoulders and a solid frame, overall. Very good foot quickness, fluidity and speed, overall. Shows the confidence to allow even the Pac-12's fastest receivers to creep up on him in off-man coverage, turning to run with them and shadowing his opponent throughout the route. Good instincts. Reads the receiver and shows an excellent burst to break on underneath routes, such as quick outs and slants.
Weaknesses; Size limitations. Is too willing to fight with receivers and wait for backs to get to him, before aggressively shedding and attempting to save yardage. Asked to play outside most of his career but might project best inside as a nickel corner at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/player/stevewilliams/2540207/profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/steve-williams?id=2540207

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8555/steve-williams

The addition of Steve Williams the 53 player roster caused LB Grigsby to be released. David Arkin bumped RB Magee off the PS.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/transactions/LAR/los-angeles-rams

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Chargers claimed Pierre Desir
I wondered why we didn't try to get him?

Desir may be better outside. Not to pour :fuelfire: gasoline on the fire, Joyner's behavior these last couple weeks may be a partial reason for bringing in Steve Williams. I don't expect L.J. to be released, but better safe than sorry. jmo.
Again, why not grab this guy? I'm guessing from this move we're not worried about EJ...but Coty & crybaby joyner....

But if they're looking at Cody getting significant playing time I'm flat concerned. If it comes to that I just hope it doesn't hurt them too much (Kelly will go after CS bank it), and that they get out of SF with a win. And of course that Gaines isn't out long.
I'm actually not worried about Coty....in the slot....Out wide, I have my concerns with either of these two....More with Joyner, the guy just isn't a natural corner, doesn't locate the ball, and seems a step slow....Coty's first game with us will be Monday night...and I can't wait to see what he does against Gabbert...Didn't know Gabbert threw for 350 yards against us last year....damn shame...

Still, why not get Desir??? Shoulda drafted that guy....isn't he from the Lou? Put Desir outside....in Greg's defense, with Donald & Quinn....move EJ into the slot....and in case of injury, we're more solid...stocking up on nickle corners is like overloading on slot receivers...not good. imo, of course....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I wondered why we didn't try to get him?

Again, why not grab this guy? I'm guessing from this move we're not worried about EJ...but Coty & crybaby joyner....

Desir was a waiver cut & San Diego, based on their 2015 record, had the earlier shot to grab him. L.A. may have made the attempt, but we'll never know unless they make an announcement.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I wonder if Troy could play himself into that spot opposite Tru.

From watching preseason I'd start him right there with Joyner in the Slot and Coty coming in fourth.

Albeit this is if Gaines is out