Rams signing cb Steve williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Have some good expectations for him, hopefully Gregg Williams will turn him into a fumble machine.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Signing a guy 3 days before opening night having like 5 cbs on practice squad hoping to catch lightening in a barrel. They are hedging their bets.. a lot of people was thinking we were gona have Gaines back and people were counting on Roberson stepping up. Neither of those have come to fruition. So yes imho they are scrambling for good CB help.

We have 5 CBs on the practice squad? Fuck sakes lol.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Seems like a solid player, why did they let him walk?

He made their initial 53 man roster as the 5th CB. After the initial cuts the, Chargers claimed Pierre Desir and then cut Williams the same day. I think the move was not about money Williams was still on his rookie contract (4th yr); Desir is on the 3rd yr of his rookie deal and would be a bit more expensive. I think Desir who is 6'2" and 200 lbs. and would be a better physical match with the more physical receivers from the Broncos, Raiders and Chiefs. Especially since all of the Charges DBS are 5'9" to 5'11" including their safeties. Williams is 5'10" & 185lbs. Here are his combine numbers from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/player/stevewilliams/2540207/combine

COMBINE
STATS:

• Bench Press12.0 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash4.42 Secs
  • Vertical Jump40.5 inches
  • 3 Cone Drill6.89 secs
  • 20 Yard Shuttle4.1 secs
  • Broad Jump128.0 inches

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Signing a guy 3 days before opening night having like 5 cbs on practice squad hoping to catch lightening in a barrel. They are hedging their bets.. a lot of people was thinking we were gona have Gaines back and people were counting on Roberson stepping up. Neither of those have come to fruition. So yes imho they are scrambling for good CB help.

Hedging bets or accounting for injury? Rams have 2 CBs not 5 on the practice squad. Countess is a nickel back/safety and Jordan is home grown outside CB. Rams never said they expected Roberson to start, he was always the 5th CB he got outplayed and now he's gone. Gaines is hurt thats the issue here not scrambling. Doesn't seem to be anything major with Gaines. Rams were light at DB and they added another piece. Really has nothing to do with Jenks or overcompensating for his departure.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
While I do think we'll probably be okay at CB, and I don't look at this as scrambling... I will reiterate that I think we kept the wrong guy. Should have given Jenks his monster deal, and let Tru walk. One of the two guys can cover all day long. The other can play positioning and profit, but isn't going to stop a #1.

I like this signing, to get back on topic. Happy they're not content with what they saw in preseason. With Gregg Williams, I think the more DBs we can cycle through, the greater our chances of finding the right fit, a guy who looked average somewhere else who clicks with our defensive coordinator.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Seems like a solid player, why did they let him walk?

That is a great question that needs to be answered

tumblr_lubtxgjBoE1qfsdz4.gif

KOWALSKI

Rookie
he is 5'10? i thought he is under 5'9.
pretty sure he played nickel for the chargers.
could that mean we use joyner at fs?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hedging bets or accounting for injury? Rams have 2 CBs not 5 on the practice squad. Countess is a nickel back/safety and Jordan is home grown outside CB. Rams never said they expected Roberson to start, he was always the 5th CB he got outplayed and now he's gone. Gaines is hurt thats the issue here not scrambling. Doesn't seem to be anything major with Gaines. Rams were light at DB and they added another piece. Really has nothing to do with Jenks or overcompensating for his departure.

To me it does for a team that prides itself on playing defense we really are very thin and very young at the cb position. If you dont think the front office is upset about losing Jenkins and Rodney you fooling yourself. These moves are being made because right now we only have 3 cbs. Tru, joyner and Coty. And from all reports Coty and Joyner are struggling. The problem is they had too much faith in a 1 yr wonder coming off a major injury. They knew going in we were thin at cb but actually seeing them play and suck thats when they decided to do something.This Williams guy seems like a good pick up dont get me wrong i like it. I just think the FO failed this defense imo..

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He made their initial 53 man roster as the 5th CB. After the initial cuts the, Chargers claimed Pierre Desir and then cut Williams the same day. I think the move was not about money Williams was still on his rookie contract (4th yr); Desir is on the 3rd yr of his rookie deal and would be a bit more expensive. I think Desir who is 6'2" and 200 lbs. and would be a better physical match with the more physical receivers from the Broncos, Raiders and Chiefs. Especially since all of the Charges DBS are 5'9" to 5'11" including their safeties. Williams is 5'10" & 185lbs. Here are his combine numbers from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/player/stevewilliams/2540207/combine

COMBINE
STATS:

• Bench Press12.0 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash4.42 Secs
  • Vertical Jump40.5 inches
  • 3 Cone Drill6.89 secs
  • 20 Yard Shuttle4.1 secs
  • Broad Jump128.0 inches

Has S.D. released another player ? Even with the Desir signing they appear currently to be about $2.2 mil over the CAP.
That is a great question that needs to be answered

tumblr_lubtxgjBoE1qfsdz4.gif

From what I can gather, San Diego is about $2.2 mil over the CAP. While they swapped Williams for Desir, the pay is relatively the same, so they remain over the CAP. Williams may be considered more of a nickel/slot, Desir may be better outside. Not to pour :fuelfire: gasoline on the fire, Joyner's behavior these last couple weeks may be a partial reason for bringing in Steve Williams. I don't expect L.J. to be released, but better safe than sorry. jmo.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
To me it does for a team that prides itself on playing defense we really are very thin and very young at the cb position. If you dont think the front office is upset about losing Jenkins and Rodney you fooling yourself. These moves are being made because right now we only have 3 cbs. Tru, joyner and Coty. And from all reports Coty and Joyner are struggling. The problem is they had too much faith in a 1 yr wonder coming off a major injury. They knew going in we were thin at cb but actually seeing them play and suck thats when they decided to do something.This Williams guy seems like a good pick up dont get me wrong i like it. I just think the FO failed this defense imo..

Of course they are upset they lost those players, but FS isn't really highly valued position in this defense and it made no sense to pay McLeod that much. Couldn't pay both Jenks and Tru, so they are loosing one of those guys anyway.

Troy Hill and EJ Gaines also play corner that's 5 corners and 2 on the practice squad makes 7 total. I don't know why you are short changing all the numbers on the roster

They clearly didn't place too much faith in Gaines that was the point of signing Sensabaugh to about 4.5 million a year as insurance. Lets actually see him in some real game action before crucifying him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course they are upset they lost those players, but FS isn't really highly valued position in this defense and it made no sense to pay McLeod that much. Couldn't pay both Jenks and Tru, so they are loosing one of those guys anyway.

Troy Hill and EJ Gaines also play corner that's 5 corners and 2 on the practice squad makes 7 total. I don't know why you are short changing all the numbers on the roster

They clearly didn't place too much faith in Gaines that was the point of signing Sensabaugh to about 4.5 million a year as insurance. Lets actually see him in some real game action before crucifying him.

You saying 7 total corners like that means something. The only ones right now on the roster that has any experience is coty Tru and Joyner, thats it. You think these guys are going to be able to come into GW system and automatically pick it up. You keep mentioning Gaines like he is available to play when he isnt. Tru doesnt have the best track record either when it comes to health. Im not saying neither 1 of these corners could eventually become good, i just believe they should have had a better plan in place not waiting for other teams to cut people.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
You saying 7 total corners like that means something. The only ones right now on the roster that has any experience is coty Tru and Joyner, thats it. You think these guys are going to be able to come into GW system and automatically pick it up. You keep mentioning Gaines like he is available to play when he isnt. Tru doesnt have the best track record either when it comes to health. Im not saying neither 1 of these corners could eventually become good, i just believe they should have had a better plan in place not waiting for other teams to cut people.

NFL rosters usually keep 5 Corners and you are mad that only 3 of those 5 guys have any experience? Furthermore its not even 3 of 5, its 4 of 5 because Gaines started 15 games in this system.

The plan wasn't bad at all. Here's what the plan was.

Number 1: Tru clear number 1
Number 2: Gaines (more than a year removed from injury) and FA signing Coty who played for G Will compete for the number 2 spot
Nickel: Joyner . Coty and Gaines also have experience there if needed.
Number 4: Loser of the Coty Gaines Competition becomes the depth at corner
Number 5: Roberson or a young guy provide additional depth, a developmental prospect, and special teams play

Guaranteed 4 out of 5 guys who have started for Williams, 5 if Roberson makes the team. Having a young developmental guy as the 5th corner isn't bad or uncommon. With Gaines banged up (short term according to Fisher) they are adjusting adding some experienced depth in Williams to take that 4th corner spot. Gaines isn't avaible now, but probably starts when he is.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL rosters usually keep 5 Corners and you are mad that only 3 of those 5 guys have any experience? Furthermore its not even 3 of 5, its 4 of 5 because Gaines started 15 games in this system.

The plan wasn't bad at all. Here's what the plan was.

Number 1: Tru clear number 1
Number 2: Gaines (more than a year removed from injury) and FA signing Coty who played for G Will compete for the number 2 spot
Nickel: Joyner . Coty and Gaines also have experience there if needed.
Number 4: Loser of the Coty Gaines Competition becomes the depth at corner
Number 5: Roberson or a young guy provide additional depth, a developmental prospect, and special teams play

Guaranteed 4 out of 5 guys who have started for Williams, 5 if Roberson makes the team. Having a young developmental guy as the 5th corner isn't bad or uncommon. With Gaines banged up (short term according to Fisher) they are adjusting adding some experienced depth in Williams to take that 4th corner spot. Gaines isn't avaible now, but probably starts when he is.

Roberson isnt on the team. Once again Gaines is out with an injury.

1. Tru
2. Coty
3. Joyner
4. Hill
5. New guy williams.

Young and in experienced even if you count Gaines this is his 3rd yr and he missed all of his second year missed valuable time in preseason because he keeps getting hurt.

They only signed Coty because they lost out on Jenkins. Roberson washed out and Gaines got hurt, thats my point what happens when tru misses his annual 3 games. Point is i just view it as a flawed plan thats all. I hope it works out because our cbs to me play a big part in our defense, if they cant capitilize on the pressure our dline puts on the qb or make solid tackles to stop those quick throws, then we are in big trouble. Lets just agree to disagree I see them as scrambling to find talent you dont. Whatever they do to fill the roster i just hope we win.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

1. Tru
2. Coty
3. Joyner
4. Hill
5. New guy williams.

Young and in experienced even if you count Gaines this is his 3rd yr and he missed all of his second year missed valuable time in preseason because he keeps getting hurt.

They only signed Coty because they lost out on Jenkins. Roberson washed out and Gaines got hurt, thats my point what happens when tru misses his annual 3 games. Point is i just view it as a flawed plan thats all. I hope it works out because our cbs to me play a big part in our defense, if they cant capitilize on the pressure our dline puts on the qb or make solid tackles to stop those quick throws, then we are in big trouble. Lets just agree to disagree I see them as scrambling to find talent you dont. Whatever they do to fill the roster i just hope we win.

1. Tru
2. Coty
3. Joyner
4. Hill
5. New guy williams.

1. Tru
2. Coty
3. Joyner
4. Hill
5. New guy williams.

Are you sure Gaines won't play? Has there been any word on his status?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I like the signing. He sounds like he's just hitting his prime.

Please release Coty.

Agreed, I know 2 Titans fans personally and they both messaged me like "Hey we're throwing a going away party for Coty" and I was like "who's Coty?" (Didn't know about the signing at the time) and I got this reply "The sorry ass CB you guys just signed, he sucked with us hahaha"
Later the other chimed in "Haha good luck with that." After watching him in preseason I'm worried.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Has S.D. released another player ? Even with the Desir signing they appear currently to be about $2.2 mil over the CAP.

I believe they have a roster exemption for Bosa. I do not know how long but his salary only counts when he gets out of the exemption phase. Until then they can be over the cap.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I believe they have a roster exemption for Bosa. I do not know how long but his salary only counts when he gets out of the exemption phase. Until then they can be over the cap.

Update: After further research they have to declare him active by Saturday if they won't him to play Sunday. If they do not he can stay on the exempt list.

Here is the best definition of the exemption list and how it works:

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

Essentially, Peterson can remain on the list for an undetermined period of time -- while he gets paid -- and doesn't take up one of the Vikings' roster spots.

Here is the link: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/chargers-joey-bosa-practice-injury/

Given how (at least in my opinion) the Commish has screwed San Diego, I think they are going to get 2-4 weeks while his hammy heals.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you sure Gaines won't play? Has there been any word on his status?

No im not sure but i wouldn't put him out there not yet. He barely played any snaps in the preseason and i havent heard any news about him practicing at all.