Rams sign vet CB Ahkello Witherspoon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Tangentially related, would not be shocked if Rams sign a big DT to a cheap 1 year deal too before camp just to add some size to a small room. Jourdan has suggested as much.

I think we got 3 positions that are possibilities to add a vet...

DT.... ILB.... EDGE

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DT.... ILB.... EDGE

We have too many bodies at edge and the Rams have to see if they can develop. Can't see them adding there unless it's a blue chip talent at the trade deadline.

LB is a deemphasized in this offense and we really don't need anyone beyond Jones and the scrubs behind him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams top 3 CBs look to be Witherspoon, Durant and Kendricks now (yeah, I know people hate on him and with good reason but Rams are talking him up this offseason and I'm pegging him as a starter till I see someone stealing his reps).

Witherspoon and Kendricks manning the outside and Durant picks up where he left off on a promising start at nickel.

Ship has sailed on Rochelle and I wonder if he makes the final 53.
I’ve said that all a long. My concern about Durant is his 1 on 1 tackling as well.He imo is not a cover CB. He is a slot guy who The Rams can move around.like NRC(Robey).
Look back at RR8’s career.He has NEVER done anything.In 2021 he needed to step up a little such as Jalen(Aubrey )Ramsey didn’t play.STALEY SAT HIM!!

Tano

Legend
We play zone-match which is in some way an amalgam of man and zone. He doesn't seem to have distinguished himself there. Have we ever just seen him play man... not sure what evidence there is (other than his physical gifts) that he'd be good at it.

Maybe he's not smart or instinctive enough to play zone-match so I guess you could argue that man which is just the closest to "use your speed and height" to make a play would indicate he's better. But I think we're lacking evidence that he can play corner at a high level, period.
The only problem with that is that Morris has his CBs 5 - 10 yards off his man from the get go. Oldschool - I know you say he never plays them 10 yards off - what I mean is that they consistently drop back to 10 yards off after being 7 yards off when the play starts.

I rarely ever see them playing tight which is imo Rochelle's strength. Keep him tight on his guy and let it play out. Even if it is 5 yards off, it would be better than what Morris currently is playing.

oldnotdead

Legend
Witherspoon has a whole lot to prove. First and foremost can he stay healthy? He's missed more games the last two years than he's played. This is not the guy you want to peg as a starter, but as a situational rotation guy. That said, I don't get the praise Kendrick garners. He got the same last year and came out and sucked as a starter.

In Witherspoon, you have a guy that doesn't like to tackle and isn't willing to support the run. Health and commitment are his issues. IMO this is his last stop. If he can't stay healthy and show he can play aggressively then I don't see a future for him. He's got talent it's all a matter of health and commitment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Witherspoon has a whole lot to prove. First and foremost can he stay healthy? He's missed more games the last two years than he's played. This is not the guy you want to peg as a starter, but as a situational rotation guy. That said, I don't get the praise Kendrick garners. He got the same last year and came out and sucked as a starter.

In Witherspoon, you have a guy that doesn't like to tackle and isn't willing to support the run. Health and commitment are his issues. IMO this is his last stop. If he can't stay healthy and show he can play aggressively then I don't see a future for him. He's got talent it's all a matter of health and commitment.

That goes for any player!!!

To have a veteran who has played for a defensive minded coach is what you want.Tomlinson & The Rams have a relationship,so signing Witherspoon is not a bad thing.

You can TALK all The CRAP you want!! IMO - I’ll keep to myself.

If your asking about a 21 year old rookie 5th rd pick who was a starter in The NFL from to National Champion type Division 1 teams.You’d know a thing or 2 about ascending player’s & development.Plus if you know anything about Sean Mcvay & The Rams coaching staff you’d know even more about The Reason to get excited,or at least TRUSTING in THE RAMS organization.
—You know I ALWAYS think of you as a CHARGERS FAN!! I’ve NEVER WAIVED away from The RAMS!!! I understand Ram Fans that chose to leave,or not stay LOYAL!!(blue font). We can’t all be like LOYAL,so I’ll try to keep more to myself?

Just say GO RAMS!! Yes - BubbaRam I’ll give a update on how this CB & DB group looks like from the start.I liked the Noon practices.Live further away as well than years past.

dang

Legend

DT.... ILB.... EDGE
I’m probably wrong but I’m calling it here. The Rams will get a stud vet Edge by the trade deadline. First they have to see what they have on the roster but they will want their pick of the litter vs waiting for FA Edge players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m probably wrong but I’m calling it here. The Rams will get a stud vet Edge by the trade deadline. First they have to see what they have on the roster but they will want their pick of the litter vs waiting for FA Edge players.
That’s Les Sneads job. I’d say there scouting department has there eyes on a few players.
If you look at there past they do wait & sign players of need.Hollins a few years ago & Sony 2 years ago.Last season they stayed in house.
I’ll keep saying EARNEST BROWN!! Not 1 Poster I’ve seen has said a work about his upside or talent.

—IMO a lot of Fans miss players development.Going to training camp for say the last 8 years? I’d say gives me more of an idea than most.
—Seeing relationships year in & year out is cool.Watching Todd Gurley working extra showed how well he was going to be catching the ball out of the backfield.
He worked on getting better Super Bowl season.Aubrey working with Peters & Talib.You also see when that isn’t the case the following season.There are all kinds of examples.
—Tre Mason in Oxnard.Then Bailey getting shot hurt.Fisher wasn’t a very good coach.
Watching Bones running drills with the special teams was cool as well.
—Brockers & Fox
Hager & Littleton
Ogletree as well……
—Back in the day you could really get an up close view of The O’Line.Where they practice you have to go all the way around & there it’s blocked by VIP tents.Plus no through access.
—Just saying Eric Henderson is The Best DLINE coach maybe in The NFL? His relationship with AD99 though is special.Seeing AD99’s Leadership is going to be Excellent.
Can go on & on!!! Just 1 persons thoughts,that is there own.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The CB group vs WR group has been alright over the years. I tend to watch the DLine -LBEr group? You have to chose on where you want to be in each group.
This season the WR- CB group will be really competitive.Probably more so than at anytime under Sean Mcvay because of the Competition.Whitersoon vs Robinson & Johnson is an example of The Rams adding veteran Depth(value).
Mcvay LOVES mentorship & players that are HUNGRY to PLAY(grass).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great Signing he is now the tallest CB in the room and he is faster then Derion Kendrick so hopefully it puts Kendrick on the pine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He'll be starting day one as our #1 CB if he can stay healthy.
Cannot agree on that Jacob. I think Durant is our CB1.

What is interesting with Durant, too, was the staff discussing his run fills in the slot on that latest vid. It is certainly his weakness. And the Rams certainly prefer a strong run element on the interior.

So IMO the prioritization of who starts where strangely enough will probably begin with that question of who plays in the slot. Also I will say again I think Kendrick should be that guy. Kendrick when he wants to be is very physical. If the Rams are better on the hashes with Durant & Tomlinson, which I believe will be the case, then Kendrick would need to lock down that slot role if he wants snaps and maybe he can pull that off.

But of course the Rams seem to think Kendrick can play outside the hash because he's so savvy with the sideline usage and inside leverage. So my expectation is they start him outside, he gets BBQ'd soundly by the better matchups while the Rams try to avoid that by travelling with Durant. At some point they probably end up sitting Kendrick for Witherspoon and then Durant will have a little more room for error if he doesn't get the right matchup/call vs most WR groups.

Whatever they do I figure we'll be a 2 deep corner group but damn I would love to be wrong. I am actually hoping Kendrick starts and has a strong season because I prefer Witherspoon off the bench at his current stage of his career.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cannot agree on that Jacob. I think Durant is our CB1.

What is interesting with Durant, too, was the staff discussing his run fills in the slot on that latest vid. It is certainly his weakness. And the Rams certainly prefer a strong run element on the interior.

So IMO the prioritization of who starts where strangely enough will probably begin with that question of who plays in the slot. Also I will say again I think Kendrick should be that guy. Kendrick when he wants to be is very physical.
I believe they want the bigger CB's to protect the sidelines with Durant covering the slot. That is why I concur that Witherspoon with start along with hopefully Rochell because IMHO and as God as my judge I have never seen anything positive from Derion Kendrick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would be cool to see Rochell step up. Here's hoping we see a miracle or two like that in camp this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
I like this move, insurance if Rochelle doesn't take the next step finally. Will be a nice piece for the secondary as long as he stays healthy.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
This could end up being a very sneaky good signing. Hope we get a bit of luck and he stays healthy. He has shown some good potential in previous years.