Rams sign vet CB Ahkello Witherspoon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tangentially related, would not be shocked if Rams sign a big DT to a cheap 1 year deal too before camp just to add some size to a small room. Jourdan has suggested as much.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Low risk move for a guy with some upside if he can stay healthy. Good size (6’2, 195).

WestCoastRam

Legend
Rams top 3 CBs look to be Witherspoon, Durant and Kendricks now (yeah, I know people hate on him and with good reason but Rams are talking him up this offseason and I'm pegging him as a starter till I see someone stealing his reps).

Witherspoon and Kendricks manning the outside and Durant picks up where he left off on a promising start at nickel.

Ship has sailed on Rochelle and I wonder if he makes the final 53.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I been reading about this guy. Could prove to be our best corner. He's got some upside.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I always felt like Witherspoon was a boom/bust corner, kind of a bigger and better version of Hill. He'd destroy some lesser wideouts but when he was mismatched it could get hideous. I didn't watch much of the Steelers last season so no idea what his deal was, but his PFF rating is extremely low so that plus the Steelers moving on he clearly had a bad season.

What I like is the vet presence though. He's a guy who has been shit on and fought through it and there's a lot of value in that. And he makes the battle for our third corner equation look a bit better. If he can slot into that top three or even just add depth we're a better secondary for it.

I did figure the vet they add first would be DL. But clearly this indicates they're relatively happy with that room which is a good sign. Hopefully that holds up when pads come on.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve heard his old man Tim is delighted with this news.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
So we signed an underachieving and consistently injured vet CB. Not anything to get excited about. Seems more like a depth signing.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Ship has sailed on Rochelle and I wonder if he makes the final 53.
Hope this is not the case but I tend to agree.

One of the late-2022-season disappointments for me (after all the injuries and the season was lost), was that Rochelle did not get any reps over the final 4-5 games. Durant and Kendrick had already played a lot and were banged-up. Hill and Long figured to be out-the-door. I would have expected Rochelle would get some game-action but almost nothing ... eight defensive snaps in the final eight games!

Tano

Legend
Hope this is not the case but I tend to agree.

One of the late-2022-season disappointments for me (after all the injuries and the season was lost), was that Rochelle did not get any reps over the final 4-5 games. Durant and Kendrick had already played a lot and were banged-up. Hill and Long figured to be out-the-door. I would have expected Rochelle would get some game-action but almost nothing ... eight defensive snaps in the final eight games!
I think Morris just does not like his ability to play in his off coverage scheme

Rochelle is more of a man to man corner that off coverage corner and he probably sucks during Morris practices

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Morris just does not like his ability to play in his off coverage scheme

Rochelle is more of a man to man corner that off coverage corner and he probably sucks during Morris practices
We play zone-match which is in some way an amalgam of man and zone. He doesn't seem to have distinguished himself there. Have we ever just seen him play man... not sure what evidence there is (other than his physical gifts) that he'd be good at it.

Maybe he's not smart or instinctive enough to play zone-match so I guess you could argue that man which is just the closest to "use your speed and height" to make a play would indicate he's better. But I think we're lacking evidence that he can play corner at a high level, period.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always felt like Witherspoon was a boom/bust corner, kind of a bigger and better version of Hill. He'd destroy some lesser wideouts but when he was mismatched it could get hideous. I didn't watch much of the Steelers last season so no idea what his deal was, but his PFF rating is extremely low so that plus the Steelers moving on he clearly had a bad season.

What I like is the vet presence though. He's a guy who has been shit on and fought through it and there's a lot of value in that. And he makes the battle for our third corner equation look a bit better. If he can slot into that top three or even just add depth we're a better secondary for it.

I did figure the vet they add first would be DL. But clearly this indicates they're relatively happy with that room which is a good sign. Hopefully that holds up when pads come on.
It’s still early though. They could add more players

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Never, and I mean never, can you have enough CB’s.

Let’s see how it shakes out. Game on Rochelle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember a few of us wanted to draft this dude so badly!

Glad he never worked out for the Whiners but hope he responds well here.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll never forget when the Browns started an entire secondary off the street and picked us off three times in 2019, and all of us recall Ramsey getting beaten. I subscribe to the theory that CB play is completely random and dependent upon so many factors....so I'm all for these kinds of signings

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He won’t be the first CB to succeed at a 2nd or 3rd stop and it won’t be the last

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I like the signing, I'm glad we went in a different direction rather than just bring Hill back. It's show and prove time now for Rochelle. Witherspoon is talented, but Rochelle has the tools to be able to beat him out for the starting job. If he doesn't, his spot on the roster may be at risk.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seems to be a good move. Probably a necessary one.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We just need him to lay the smack on Deebo Samuel!

Tiny Lister Friday Movie GIF