Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Within reason is the key here.
I agree.. if a player drops down a team's board and is, let's say, a true "tier one" prospect at a position that isn't a "need" falls.. and at positions of need there are only "tier two" prospects available.. you probably go for the value unless someone else has the same perceived value and makes you a trade offer that's excellent.

Yep. It's how the Ravens have sat back for years and selected very good players that just fall into their laps and people are amazed at their success.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yep. It's how the Ravens have sat back for years and selected very good players that just fall into their laps and people are amazed at their success.
It's interesting.. the Rams 21 draft isn't that bad when you consider where their first pick came. It's also distorted by Bruss' major knee injury. He was struggling as a rookie.. but is it hard to think he could've been at least a solid backup?
Last year's class.. just.. wow.

If they can perform anywhere close to last year, with the addition of a first-rounder.. they could be pretty damn good.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My take is still that the Rams want veterans in the secondary to supplement/support the front seven which, besides E.Jones is young and not necessarily a strength.

I like the 1 year deal. Fuck it. He’s got the head for the game. Let’s hope his body holds up down the stretch.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Wow, my man, you sound grouchy about this lol..... remember I said sound since it's hard to consider how it's being said over written comments. BPA is not BS at all, but it definitely shouldn't overrule every decision. Of course if a QB is the BPA and you are set at QB, drafting a QB makes no sense although a trade would depending who is on the board. In regards to AD, we had Quinn and Long so no, the D line wasn't an urgent need necessarily, but it's the NFL where a need can instantly be created via bad luck like an untimely injury. In the end, it ended up being the best move ever and I'm so thankful we did because AD is the best defensive player we've had in our history and only donned the horns. Now let's say if the top rated CB in the board and let's say they are down to the 4th or 5th pass rusher as a DE, do you take the DE? I say hell no as the value is better for a CB. Trade back? Well we could lose a chance at a top flight corner? Honestly it's just fun for me personally to discuss all the routes even though the Rams will only take one. Regardless of what we are all debating, the Rams are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what one single person here thinks is the best move but at least one of us will be right in our guess hahahaha. I understand hating the bitching and complaining but honestly that's a normal reaction from a lot of fans. Most will get over it and will simply go back to the roots of wanting that player to succeed because it ultimately benefits the Rams. Best example I can give for myself is I like Newton way more than Murphy because of his pass rush acumen, but if the Rams draft Murphy will I be upset? I would say, slightly disappointed, but I'd still be excited to see Murphy in horns and would root my ass off for the kid to be the best ever like I do every Ram. In the end, let's just say I find it odd to pin yourself in a corner and call BPA complete BS when in reality it is in some cases and not others. That's what makes the Rams great in team building, they adapt to the situations presented to them which could be BPA or BPA based on need.
Good post. No not grouchy. Just don't believe it's BPA, BPA, BPA...

Also you make a good point about proverbial water under the bridge once it's done and rooting for the guy you didn't think we'd take. But I don't remember many fans rooting for Tutu two months after the draft. Hell in some cases not 2 years after that draft. And winning a SB didn't quell the "we shoulda took Humphrey" crowd. :laugh4:

But some separate DT and DE/OLB, instead of just saying DL. We had Brockers, Langford and Cudjo (UDFA, who was gone in 2014). We didn't have a "need" at DT? I think we did and Donald fit BPA/Need to a T.
Woah there. DT was not a perceived need entering that draft. Not only did they have a young Brockers, but DT Kendall Langford had just completed the 2nd year of his big 4-year free agent contract and had his best season to date. They could have selected Zach Martin and then tried to trade up back for Donald instead of vice versa.

It is and always has been BPA within reason. But I agree with us not having access to the 32 different draft boards that matter. But some information does get leaked whether it's immediately or years later.
Perceived by whom? What were the perceived needs back in 2014? LT and what else WR? QB?

Langford? He had a good year in 2013, was relegated to backup in 2014 (thanks to AD) and gone before 2015 (which would have been the 4th year of his Rams contract). In fact he was basically a nobody by 2016 playing 8 games in 2016 and 2017. Perhaps some "experts" had over valued him?

Hell, that's all I'm saying. I'm calling "BPA, BPA, BPA", BS. I'm simply saying BPA with NEED is the best way to go. Many internet experts believe there's a board from #1 to #whatever and teams take #11 if the other 10 are gone when their slot arrives. Yet, Snead has said the Rams target "buckets of players", which to me means "here's these 10 BPAs we have. Who fills the biggest need?"

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I'm simply saying MOST TEAMS don't have the luxury of going BPA without regard to need. ... Or was that gibberish too?
That's not Gibberish at all. I agree with that statement.

Think most posters who support Best Player Available don't add 'without regard to need' ... that's too extreme.

Now when you wrote:
We may THINK we're passing on "better talent" when we really might be getting the "better talent".
That's kind of Gibberish. However, if that offends you, how about ... Jibber-Jabber or Gobbledygook?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We may THINK we're passing on "better talent" when we really might be getting the "better talent".
WE being "us fans". But I'll play. Tell me who in this draft is going to be better than the others of the top 20 most commons draft prospects. Caleb better than Alt? Alt better than Harrison? Harrison better than whomever? Truth is I don't know and YOU don't know until they put on the pads and play in the NFL. So that's what I mean about "we really might be getting the 'better talent' ". Is that really so hard to understand?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I don't think it's offensive...but I just want the exact name to be used. We're the best Rams site there is, with all of the news, all of the best takes, all of the smartest fans on the planet. I just figure that we should use the exact name, you know? No offense meant or taken, OS.
I think the famous philosopher of the last century said it best. Simmer down Beavis. Typos happen we can all live with them I'm sure.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
WE being "us fans". But I'll play. Tell me who in this draft is going to be better than the others of the top 20 most commons draft prospects. Caleb better than Alt? Alt better than Harrison? Harrison better than whomever? Truth is I don't know and YOU don't know until they put on the pads and play in the NFL. So that's what I mean about "we really might be getting the 'better talent' ". Is that really so hard to understand?
Now THAT is Gibberish ... and Jibber Jabber ... and Gobbledygook!!!

Each teams' top Talent Evaluators are paid to ... wait for it ... Evaluate the Talent.

Many times, they are wrong. That's Not the point.

The Question is whether the teams' Decision-Makers ignore the Talent Evaluations, and select other players that may fit a position of greater need.

That's the point.
All some of us are saying is ... Usually, with the high draft choices, it's best to go with the Talent Evaluations.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now THAT is Gibberish ... and Jibber Jabber ... and Gobbledygook!!!

Each teams' top Talent Evaluators are paid to ... wait for it ... Evaluate the Talent.

Many times, they a wrong. That's Not the point.

The Question is whether the teams' Decision-Makers ignore the Talent Evaluations, and select other players that may fit a position of greater need.

That's the point.
All some of us are saying is ... Usually, with the high draft choices, it's best to go with the Talent Evaluations.
I thought we all realized the Rams pick a combination of boa at a big position of need on a kind of sliding scale with those two criteria.

Tano

Legend
Yes, and hopefully he can ...

Don't see that

yes, but Lott mostly played safety in nickel defense all along ... even before he moved to S full-time ... he was a CB on 1st and 2nd down-type situations ... he was usually not a CB when 49ers went to nickel or dime, even early

White has never played safety in NFL in base or nickel
I think there were a few great CBs who became safeties later in their career. Can't remember who off the top of my head.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think the Ravens are lucky that Lamar Jackson was arguably the best qb in his draft and fell to 32.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Rams defense still could use (notice I didn’t say need to allow for roster promotions) an Edge1 (Young solid at Edge 2), FS, ILB2, DT/DE.
FWIW, I think the top of this draft class at edge are all number 2 type edges. I don't think there's a dominate edge to be found. Now, I think Murphy and to a lesser extent Newton can be dominant DTs. I think grabbing one of them and another secondary edge type like Young is most likely our best bet in this draft. And that's the pass rush we'll need to live with next year.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If for some reason Harrison WR is available at 19 yeah I say BPA vs Need.
But Need/BPA takes precedent. Do you take a CB Vs Edge Vs DT or QB/WR?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Any more passionate than those saying BPA, BPA, BPA?

True the "better teams" have the more talented rosters because they mostly went BPA with their top draft choices....

....and their top draft choices more likely than not occurred in the lower half/third of the first round? Where going BPA is a wise move.

I'm simply saying MOST TEAMS don't have the luxury of going BPA without regard to need. A little easier to understand? Or was that gibberish too?
BPA is an overused term in drafting I think. More accurate would be to say teams try to maximize value iaw their boards. The heart of great drafting is stacking an accurate board (easier said than done of course) and then sticking to it with some discipline on draft day.

For example if the Rams at 19 want to draft DT but Newton is let's say 28th on their board and both him and Murphy are in a group of players that are similarly graded (as Snead would say a bucket of players) that run into the low 30s then they would move down to select one of those DTs where board value says it is appropriate while also accruing the best picks they can add. This ensures they are maximizing value of their alloted resources.

If you take two different teams and one of them does this with great discipline year to year you have the Ravens. I think the Rams made a conscious decision to move to that type of model. McVay and Snead as a duo will undoubtedly get aggressive at some point but maybe not. Maybe they're both really bought in to it. There has certainly been a sea change with OL valuation. So it follows that internal analysis and correction may lead to a new approach.

Bottom line though is that BPA is basically ensuring you are sticking to your board. Which should always be your guide on where to position to take the players you want. Whereas a bad team will simply reach for players they fall in love with and over time bleed draft pick value and resources and end up with a lesser roster. Which is additive year to year and can make it very hard to win vs teams that do it right.